PDA

View Full Version : What is on your xmas menu this year....

carole
12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Thought it might be interesting to see just how we all eat on xmas day, different cultures,different countries, different traditions, I am sure we have done this before, but hey why not again.

We here in this kiwi household will be having

Cold 98 per cent fat free Ham on the bone

Cold roasted Chicken.(maybe a small amount of Kfc For those here who love it, not me anymore though.

A variety of salad.

Hot baby Potatoes with chives.

Baby minted Peas.

Ciabatta Garlic Bread.

Drinks will be Chi for me, and grape juice white and red.

Dessert will be Pavlova with fruit and cream,and Mississippi Cheesecake from the cheesecake shop.Chocolate dipped strawberries.

After dinner mints to follow.

Pretty simple and plain really, and remember it is hot down under, well it is supposed to be. lol

So please share i will love reading your posts.

RICHARD
12-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Hot baby Potatoes with chives.

Isn't that infanticide?:eek::)

------------

I am wondering.

I want to do a turkey breast with green bean casserole, a regular salad and some home made bread.:)

Eat up!

Are we going to 'resolute' to get fitter again this year?:)

Nomilynn
12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Something pretty traditional at my house..

Roasted Turkey
Whipped Potatoes
Stuffing
Beans
Carrots

I think that's it.. I can't remember what I told my parents to buy lol. They asked me for a list so that they could have everything ready for me to cook it ;) I arrive at their house late in the evening on December 24th.

carole
12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
You betcha we are Richard.

I plan on loosing another 6kgs next year, and if it takes me a whole year, i am fine with that,having lost 11 so far i am happy to stay maintaining for now, but the fitness side of things, i am very poor at, i hope to start swimming this year.

And you are sooo....funny.:):D

Got to add this seem odd talking about weight issues, i brought that up sure, and fitness on a thread where we are talking about stuffing our faces lol.

RICHARD
12-16-2009, 07:59 PM
You betcha we are Richard.

I plan on loosing another 6kgs next year, and if it takes me a whole year, i am fine with that,having lost 11 so far i am happy to stay maintaining for now, but the fitness side of things, i am very poor at, i hope to start swimming this year.

I am buying a bike soon!:D

I lost 10 pounds in three days. Food poisoning!:eek:

I think I can do it more practically in a few weeks?:rolleyes::eek:;)

Pinot's Mom
12-16-2009, 08:06 PM
There will be Christmas at my sister's on Christmas day (she lives 40 minutes from us), then Christmas II here on the 27th with the rest of the family from CT joining the crew. I can guarantee my sister will have turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, salad, asparagus and crescent rolls. There will be MANY desserts; that's my sister, and she's like a size 4!!

We'll figure out what Christmas II will be sometime closer to the date!

caseysmom
12-16-2009, 10:00 PM
I like prime rib on christmas and maybe mashed potatoes and a green, simple but great.

Medusa
12-17-2009, 06:35 AM
A buffet for approximately 20 people:

prime rib
ham
jumbo shrimp
sweet potatoes
pasta w/creamy tomato vodka sauce, chicken and sprinkled w/real bacon; it's the heart attack special
crispy garden salad
croissants

cheesecake
pumpkin roll

Canal Mud (handmade candy from a local merchant)
cashew clusters in milk chocolate
white chocolate w/peppermint candy chips in it

egg nog
cocoa
open bar but not that well stocked; I prefer that people drink at home

BitsyNaceyDog
12-17-2009, 07:30 AM
My husband's side of the family will be here for Christmas. We'll be cooking:

Deep fried turkey
mashed potatoes and gravy
dressing
corn
green beans
rolls
pies and cookies

pomtzu
12-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Christmas is always so hectic around here, that a few years ago we started with a new traditional Christmas dinner, which takes a whole lot less time in the kitchen. We go Italian.

The day before, my DIL and I make a big pan of lasagna, and also stuffed shells, so all that has to be done Christmas Day, is to pop them in the oven. Along with that we have garlic bread and a salad. There are munchies of cheese balls and various crackers, chips and dip, to eat beforehand if anyone can't wait for dinner. Pies and other baked goodies for dessert.

Doing this allows the whole family to spend more time together enjoying the day, rather than the cooks spending hours in the kitchen.

RICHARD
12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I may just say screw it and stop everyone's house for Christmas.

-----------------

LOL, I want a cheeseball now!

sirrahbed
12-17-2009, 10:48 AM
LOVE your Italian idea Pomtzu!! We did that a few times when my kids were smaller:D The traditional time consuming (turkey, ham, stuffing) does not appeal to me at all. That said, my favorite SPECIAL meal is prime rib, mashed potato and green veggie (broccoli or asparagus) and salad.

This year we are going over to eat with my oldest son and his family and have crockpot chili and snacks - very simple:D

carole
12-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Interesting menus, i don't think any of us are sticking much with tradition,mind you what is tradition for me is probably different in other countries,thanks for sharing, keep posting please.

pomtzu
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
LOVE your Italian idea Pomtzu!!

This year we are going over to eat with my oldest son and his family and have crockpot chili and snacks - very simple:D

And that's even easier than doing Italian. Maybe I should rethink this year's menu.....:D

I would, but not everyone here likes chili. Darn!!! :(

lvpets2002
12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
:) Ham, dressing, mex corn & french green beens.. possible cranberries..

carole
12-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey where are the desserts people? lol, i love dessert,sweet tooth creeping in yet again.

RICHARD
12-17-2009, 01:42 PM
And that's even easier than doing Italian. Maybe I should rethink this year's menu.....:D

I would, but not everyone here likes chili. Darn!!! :(

LOL,

Chili cheese fries, Baby!:D

Carole,
You can go a little crazy for 14 days.;)

Mary,

Who is cooking?:eek:

And

Are your cooking chores on you? Pot luck or people come to your home and help you cook?

carole
12-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Too late Richard already CRAZY, cat crazy anyhow, blame it on PT,what you mean i can go crazy for 14 days, why 14 days, you mean food wise? confused explain please.:)

Killearn Kitties
12-18-2009, 03:08 AM
We are going to my cousin's this year on Christmas day. His wife likes a very traditional dinner, so I expect it will be some sort of smoked salmon and salad starter followed by a full turkey dinner, turkey, stuffing, chipolatas wrapped in bacon, roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts, some sort of parsnip dish, gravy, cranberry sauce, bread sauce. Did I forget anything? Desserts probably Christmas pudding with custard and/or brandy butter and fresh fruit salad. Perhaps she normally has another dessert too, but I don't remember. Desserts aren't my thing.

We will then eat nothing on the 26th :p and will be at husband's sister on the 27th. That will be informal buffet style I expect - more people, small house, lots of kids.

I don't think I have to do any food shopping this year. :D

RICHARD
12-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Too late Richard already CRAZY, cat crazy anyhow, blame it on PT,what you mean i can go crazy for 14 days, why 14 days, you mean food wise? confused explain please.:)

Sorry,

You can go crazy (with food, desserts and sweets) for 14 days.

We are all touched in our own ways, I don't think it applies to cal love.;)

----------

KK,

Chipolatas?:confused::)

Taz_Zoee
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Christmas Eve we go to Bruce's moms with his family. They change the menu all the time so I have no clue what we are having. I do know that my co-worker/friend is making Buche de Noel for me to take. She made it for the potluck we had yesterday here at work and I LOVE it!! In case you don't know what it is, it is a French cake. It is soooo good!!

Christmas Day is at my brothers house. I know we will have ham, mashed taters, gravy, corn, rolls. My SIL will probably make some cinnamon muffins or something (which I don't like cinnamon so I don't eat that). I'm not sure if we will be having a turkey or not. And there might be more than what I listed too.
Dessert will consist of my brownies, my mom's pies (usually coconut, chocolate and cheesecake). Oh, and we always start out with the traditional dip. It's only a five layer in our house: bean dip, avocado dip, sour cream, lettuce and cheese.

Goodness!! I am so hungry now! It's an hour before lunchtime here and now I can't wait! LOL

carole
12-19-2009, 03:46 AM
Ah Richard that is what i thought you mean't but not sure why you said 14 days, thought it some tradition over yonder or something lol, nope not me chum, if i did that for 14 days, i would pile on the weight and i would never go back to healthy eating, those days are well and truly gone for me, one day is all i allow myself and even then i will try and be sensible, after all i have to tell myself it is only food and it is not that important, i had to change my way of thinking and my relationship with food,and put other things in life that are way more important a head of it,anyhow enough on that.

Chippolatas are long skinny sausages.

Killearn Kitties
12-19-2009, 04:21 AM
Chippolatas are long skinny sausages.
Really? Not here, they're not. They are short and fat here. Isn't that odd?

carole
12-19-2009, 04:22 AM
Ha that is funny indeed, how the other half lives eh? lol:):D

anna_66
12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
We usually have the traditional stuff, but this year I ordered from Omaha Steaks. It will just be Mark and I so we will be having Filet Mignon, Twice Baked Potatoes, Green Beans and Chocolate Cake!

KYS
12-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Anna_66: We usually have the traditional stuff, but this year I ordered from Omaha Steaks. It will just be Mark and I so we will be having Filet Mignon, Twice Baked Potatoes, Green Beans and Chocolate Cake>>>>>>>>>>>

Anna, I saw the advertisment for Omaha Steaks and I was really tempted.
I love Twice Baked Potatoes.
and the chocolate cake looks good.

When I was married we had the traditional Christmas dinner with the whole family.
Now that I am single, My BF and I go out to a restaurant
and than when we come home and make fudge together and drink Egg Nog.
(One of my sisters does the traditional C. Dinner every year.)

orangemm
12-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Since we are going to Jeff's brother's the day after Christmas to be with the family, I will be making a pork chop casserole that I made last year. He RAVED about it; it was very simple, chops, apples, sauerkraut, brown sugar, etc. We'll have the turkey thing on the 26th.

2010 I have to lose at least 10 lbs, so I am going to enjoy myself for the short term!:D

Puckstop31
12-20-2009, 03:57 PM
On Christmas day we gather with all the local family at my cousins house. The food is the "typical" Christmas stuff... Ham, mashed potatoes... etc.

But on the 26th I am making pan seared venison tenderloin chops over sweet and sour peppers. Side it with oven roasted new potatoes with Salt, Pepper, Paprika and Parsley.

jenluckenbach
12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
My brother does Christmas eve. It will be Italian (lasagne or stuffed shells, something like that) He makes his own pasta and desserts, etc.

Christmas day just Charlie, my dad and me, so a roast Duck (in place of turkey), some flavor of rice (in place of the traditional stuffing), red beets and some other veggie. I dont bake, so dessert is up to my dad, LOL

prechrswife
12-20-2009, 05:33 PM
We'll actually be traveling on Christmas day, so it looks like we'll be having lunch at a Waffle House, since that is pretty much the only thing that is open on our route on the 25th. Supper will be at my MIL's house, so I'm not sure what that will be.

Suki Wingy
12-20-2009, 06:06 PM
We are carrying on with our Christmas traditions this year. For breakfast we have lox and bagels, and we don't have a dinner, but have assorted appetizers all day. Mine that I'm bringing are Swedish meatballs.

carole
12-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Please what is Lox, i have never heard of that ever?

cassiesmom
12-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Twice-baked potatoes. A Christmas treat!

Lox: fillets of salmon, cured and thinly sliced. Often served on or with a bagel.
http://www.jewishrecipes.org/jewish-foods/lox.html

carole
12-21-2009, 12:02 AM
without sounding terribly stupid, and without stating the obvious, tell me about twice baked potatoes and why they are so good, thanks for the info about the lox, you learn something every day don't you?

Suki Wingy
12-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Our lox and bagels tradition goes back to I think the 80s at least. Anyway, where we live there are a lot of Jewish people, so it was just easy to go into the Jewish deli on Christmas when all the other stores were closed for the holiday. It's actually really good and one of the only types of fish that I enjoy.
Here's a picture that I found.
http://davidovichbagels.com/joomla/images/stories/bagel_lox.jpg
Doesn't that look yummy with those unions in there?