PDA

View Full Version : some scottish dialect from me....

carole
12-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I just thought i would share this for fun and those who might be vaguley interested, as you know i was born in Scotland, and i have been raised very much with the scottish accent and way's,i was only a bairn when i came here,and have never been back to the land of my birth.

We come from Aberdeenshire, and i just wanted to share the dialect spoken there, it is quite unique, it is called the Doric, and this is the diluted version, this is how my parents and extended family all spoke, although my mother said they had never written it, so was good to see it written down, i can speak it with an accent, however i am sure my family in Scotland would have a laugh or two at my expense.
This is a brief poem, i will translate it later if anyone wants me to.

Lonely

Noo Yir lambs are 'a awa
Ma social life bin cut in twa
Ma legs are stiff ma back is sair
my mobile disna ring nae mair
Ma dogs are bored nae sheep tae chase
Stagnation hings aboot the place
Bit shortly I'll be aff the hook
Cuz lambin times just roon the neuk.

A bitter win blew fae the north
The rain come peltin doon
It was half Licht,richt through the nicht
altho' there wis nae moon.

Oh is it Armageddon?
Has nature geen astray?
Na Na its Aberdeenshire
on this the langist day

Now our scottish lassie with the grey kitties you have to keep shhhh....just incase you can understand this,I am not sure she will as the Doric is spoken only where i come from.NB this is the diluted version, they speak even broader than this, I doubt I would even be able to understand them even though i know quite a bit of the dialect been raised with it spoken, my mother still speaks it to me.

Catherinedana
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for posting this! I love Scots and Irish accents. It was definately understandable - and I could hear the accent as I read.

My 1st husband was from Ireland (Monghan town, Monaghan Co.) and I think it was his Irish-ness that attracted me in the first place. He worked in Dublin for some time and had friends from all over Ireland and I absolutely LOVED when we would visit there and they got together and I could hear them all talk. The Dublin accent was the most difficult to keep up with.

I wish I could hear you read it out loud!!!

Cathy

Barbara
12-15-2009, 03:26 PM
I can understand it :) But it's not easy. It's easier in a poem as the rhymes will help.

Taz_Zoee
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I can understand it for the most part. It's not like reading German or Spanish. Of course I can understand those two languages a little too. :)

I'd also love to hear this read.

Freedom
12-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Lovely!

I watch most of the British comedies on PBS. I remember watching Taggart, and hearing the Scottish accent; I really had to concentrate to follow that detective show!

You do need to save up and take a trip over. I've been, it is a lovely place!

I also attended the Highland Games in Maine the 5 years I lived up there. Remember this bumper sticker they were selling ( and sold out of, every year!)

England forever; Scotland just a wee bit longer!

Pinot's Mom
12-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Carole, I need no translation, it's lovely to hear! We were in Scotland a few years back; our guide was from Aberdeen - not Aberdeenshire, but I was able to understand. Thanks for the memories!

captain
12-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I understood it!!! My Dad was Scottish, and I could follow it all OK!!!

Thanks for sharing that. Made me think of my Dad ...:)

Karen
12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
One of my church friends grew up in northern England, so many people mistake her accent for Scottish, as it's cloe. She, one year, read us a Robert Burns poem in correct dialect at the Christmas party, 'twas quite a feat!

carole
12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
It is easier to read than hear it, as when said with the accent it is quite unique, again this is the diluted version lol, Ah noo Aberdeenshire is the surrounding areas,I am from Inverurie,Aberdeen is the city.

Glad you all enjoyed it, now how aboot translating it for me ? I used to have a microphone on here but alas it is broken, otherwise i could have recorded it, however i am not really the one to speak it as i don't have a proper Scottish Accent, I try hard though.

Remember not all Scottish people speak this dialect only those from Aberdeenshire.

Ok try this one
Scotch thistles are a worry,.the seed it is sae sma
I hope the widder disna change,an the hale lot bla awa
sooricks are a better bet,theyr'e fine close tae the grun
we ate them cummin hame fae skweel,those days were far mair fun

Noo I Ken for us al timers that change is hard tae thole
Bit like it or lump it.wiv got a different role,
so pit yir best fit forrit,dae athin that ye can
Squarr-up tae oot new challenge,the environmental man

I think the fact there is English in between words helps for the translation, gives you an idea what is being spoken aboot., but when you hear it spoken it is completely different and much harder to understand ,believe me even though i am used to the dialect and accent if i went to my home town and they were speaking it fully not diluted i would be lost,only maybe able to pick up a few words here and there.anyhow have fun reading and translating.,so who is going to translate it for me?

Freedom
12-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Scotch thistles are a worry,.the seed it is sae sma
I hope the widder disna change,an the hale lot bla awa
sooricks are a better bet,theyr'e fine close tae the grun
we ate them cummin hame fae skweel,those days were far mair fun

Noo I Ken for us al timers that change is hard tae thole
Bit like it or lump it.wiv got a different role,
so pit yir best fit forrit,dae athin that ye can
Squarr-up tae oot new challenge,the environmental man

Scottish thistles (which are the symbol of Scotland! Lovely purple color) are a worry as the seeds are so small.
I hope the wind does not change (direction) and the whole lot blow away. (I guess like our dandelion fluff?)
Sooricks -- um, ??? - are going to last longer as they are closer to the ground
We ate them coming home from school, those days were fun

Now I know fo us old timers that change is hard to take
But like it or lump i, we've got a different rol
So put your best foot forward, do what you can ( are able to do)
Stand up to each new challenge, um ???

So I am stuck on
sorricks
environmental man

smokey the elder
12-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Is this the source of some of the Eastern Canadian accent?

I got most of it; I saw "Widder" as "weather", but was stumped on "sooricks".

Husky_mom
12-16-2009, 09:05 AM
I love accents!!..

British, Irish, and Southern (Texas, Tennesse, etc) haha..

you bet it was easy to read and I too could get an idea of the accent bu ti´m sure listening to it would be challenging.. just as Tia Dalma.. lol... I had to really pay attention to get it all.. haha...

moosmom
12-16-2009, 09:26 AM
:confused::confused::confused:

Count me TOTALLY confused!!!!

Killearn Kitties
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I had to look up "soorick" myself. It's Sorrel, apparently. :D

Carole, do you know the "Desperate Fishwives" comedy that Radio Scotland does? Some of the language is authentic and some is caricature, but your mum might enjoy it. I think they have a new series starting on Monday.

It will be downloadable on the BBC iplayer, but this link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007yc7w) will give you a few videos as a taster. Enjoy!

Randi
12-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Here's Scottish for you... http://www.youtube.com/user/BABAK06#p/a/f/0/w1Jz7M7TJn4

Can anyone understand what this guy says? :D

Freedom
12-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Is this the source of some of the Eastern Canadian accent?

I got most of it; I saw "Widder" as "weather", but was stumped on "sooricks".

I think you are right, "weather" not wind. Great fun, this is!

carole
12-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Yes widder is weather, Freedom you did so well, top marks you missed one word Mair but other than that you did extremely well,environmental man is just part of the poem and english,as for Sooricks, i did not even know myself what that is, now hearing it is another challenge for sure,as every word whether english written is not spoken that way, and the accent is very broad.

Thanks Killearn Kitties for that info, we don't get that here,but will look up the link.

Killearn Kitties
12-18-2009, 03:29 AM
I was hoping for another poem by now, Carole! :D

By the way, the BBC iplayer allows to you listen online, and I think it should work from anywhere. Certainly the programme I hear on my way home from work gets requests coming in from all over the world, where people are listening online.

carole
12-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Och Aye lassie, i canna think of one just noo. lol

Thanks mum is not computer literate in any way though, i will look in to it though for her cheers.