PDA

View Full Version : Pidgie needs prayers quick!; update; 12/21; She's gone; post #50

Medusa
12-14-2009, 08:53 PM
She's vomiting foam and is constipated but has poop smeared all over her behind. I tried washing her w/a warm, soapy wash cloth and she won't have it. She tried to bite me several times. She's obviously trying to go but can't. The last time this happened, she had to spend the night at Dr. Lee's b/c they had to give her two enemas to get her going. Poor girl, this is going to continue happening to her at age 21. Dr. Lee warned me about it but she's done so well that I thought maybe we were home free. I put a call in that I'm taking her in the morning. It's going to be a long night for both of us. :(

Karen
12-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Will she eat anything? Pumpkin may help?

Prayers on the way ...

Prairie Purrs
12-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Sending lots of healing thoughts to Pidge. I hope the vet can get her back on track right away in the morning. And I'm sorry you've had so much to deal with lately!

Catty1
12-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Oh no...will she eat pumpkin or do you have any lactulose? Poor Pidgie. Hugs and prayers for her AND for you! :love:

Tora Oni
12-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Poor Pidgie, My prayers are with the girl...I can defiantly see how she wouldn't want people touching that area. :(

Taz_Zoee
12-14-2009, 11:34 PM
I just commented in Boo's thread. But I wanted to express my thoughts for you and Pidge here as well. I hope the vet can help Pidge feel better soon.

krazyaboutkatz
12-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Mary I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Hopefully your vet can get her back on track and keep her that way. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

I've also heard that since cats are lactose intolerant that giving a cat some milk could help with constipation. My RB Pepper used to have take lactulose every day because he also had problems but he was only about 4 or 5 years old at the time.

Medusa
12-15-2009, 05:00 AM
I don't have any pumpkin on hand or I'd give it a try but she won't eat anyhow. I had to force a little bit of Cat Lax on her; I put it on her lips, actually, and she licked it off. I'll be sure to buy some pumpkin, though, in case this happens again. She screams whenever I even try to look back there, poor girl. I'll be taking her in to Dr. Lee soon and I'll update you when I get back.

Pinot's Mom
12-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Poor baby, she's got to be in so much pain, I'm so sorry! Update when you can - prayers sent...:love:

catmandu
12-15-2009, 09:45 AM
:love::love::love:
The Found Ctas are so sorry that Pidges having those kind of troubles, that so embarrasing of a Clean Cat to have those issues!:(
We are praying that its nothing serious , and that Pidge will be well by Catmas Day!!!!:love::love::love:

Medusa
12-15-2009, 10:00 AM
We're home. She was blocked alright. He didn't want to give her an enema this time b/c her temp dropped dangerously low to 97.5. Initially he said "I have to ask myself "Is she dying?". That shocked me b/c Dr. Lee doesn't talk like that. However, once he got her cleaned out, her temp came up to 101 and he felt much better and so did I. I said "If you didn't give her an enema, then how did you get her cleaned out?" He said "We did it digitally". I didn't understand and and he grinned and said "Dr. L has smaller digits than I do". Ooooh! That kind of digital. He got everything out except one small stool and a hairball, which he said she'll eventually pass.

He gave me anti-nausea meds for her and lactulose and he told me to increase her Cat Lax dosage to 3 times a day instead of 2. He said that given her age of 21, she's doing pretty well. It's been 8 months since her last episode. He said that he has cats that are brought in that are only 2 years old that he has to do that with every month so Pidge is exceptional. I was concerned about it straining her heart and he said not to be but to keep in mind that as we age, things slow down and this may probably happen again.

They shaved her behind for me (Thank you. I was dreading that job.) I also smelled a familiar odor from when I had dogs, anal sac smell, and he said that hers were full. I didn't know that cats could have that problem but he took care of that for me, too. (Thank you again.)

So we'll see how she does today. I've had to reschedule taking my car in for some minor repairs and I asked if I could safely leave her for a couple of hours and was told that probably all she's going to do is poop, LOL, so go ahead. So in the basement Ms. Stinky Bum goes until I come home.

Thanx for the prayers again but if you can keep her in mind, I'd appreciate it. She's an old gal but a goodie. :)

Forgot to mention that LBK wasn't around when I left for Dr. Lee's this morning and he wasn't here when I got back home. I hope he didn't think I forgot about him.

pomtzu
12-15-2009, 10:13 AM
She's like an old Timex watch - takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!!

Yay Pidgie-Poo - glad you're feeling better. :love: You too Mary. :D

Medusa
12-15-2009, 10:15 AM
She's like an old Timex watch - takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!!

Yay Pidgie-Poo - glad you're feeling better. :love: You too Mary. :D

Thanx, Ellie. If my Fur Posse feel better, I feel better. :)

Catty1
12-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Hugs to Pidgie...your Boo will be so happy to see you! :)

Pinot's Mom
12-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm so glad the doctor was able to help poor Pidge out! Hugs to her from here! :love:

krazyaboutkatz
12-15-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm glad that your vet could help her and I bet she already feels a lot better.:) I'll continue to keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Prayers on the way here. How miserable for you both to deal with. :love:

lvpets2002
12-15-2009, 11:52 AM
:love: Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss.. Thank goodness Pidgie is feeling much better.. Yes I keep Chicken Broth & Canned Pumpkin in the cabinets at all times for these sistuations.. Works everytime..

phesina
12-15-2009, 01:37 PM
So glad to learn how well Pidgie is doing!

More prayers, and a candle for her: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9774046

3Catcondo
12-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Poor girl, I'm glad the vet was able to relieve her. Sending well wishes your way to a speedy recovery for Ms P. Hopefully tonight you will both sleep well.

Amy

momcat
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Glad to know that Dr. Lee was able to help poor Pidgie and hope all will be well. Prayers continue for you and your furcrew. If sweet Pidgie is up to it, would you give her some feel better lovies for me?

[[[[[HUGS]]]]] being sent for you, Mary!

Medusa
12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Glad to know that Dr. Lee was able to help poor Pidgie and hope all will be well. Prayers continue for you and your furcrew. If sweet Pidgie is up to it, would you give her some feel better lovies for me?

[[[[[HUGS]]]]] being sent for you, Mary!

Thanx! We'll both take 'em! :)

Anikaca77
12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
They shaved her behind for me (Thank you. I was dreading that job.) I also smelled a familiar odor from when I had dogs, anal sac smell, and he said that hers were full. I didn't know that cats could have that problem but he took care of that for me, too. (Thank you again.)

Mary-

I'm so glad she's home and ok. Wow 21 that's amazing. I remember Anika had to have a bump removed from her face and she spent several weeks with a cone around her head and I had to take her into the vets to get her glands expressed. It was pretty nasty but that and another time she needed it done. My Claudia who I just had at the vets expressed hers after the took her temperature and the vet had to clean her off. That stuff is pretty nasty.

Prays are coming that Pidgie feels better soon.

melissa

Medusa
12-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Pidge has improved but I'd be relieved if her appetite were better. She ate this morning but vomited shortly afterwards. I think it's due to the Lactulose. Dr. Lee said that most cats hate it. She takes it w/no problems but I think it must upset her stomach. The anti-nausea meds may help a little but I hate the thought of having to give her so much every day. I think my girl is on her decline. She's been under my bed ever since she came back from the vet's. Usually she's in the patio room or on the back of the sofa. I'm going to make her as comfortable as possible and just enjoy the good times.

columbine
12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
You might want to consider trying a bit of psyllium fiber. It has no flavor, and is easy to mix with wet food, and it's been proven safe in cats. A lot of people don't like the idea of cutting open a capsule full of a "drug" for their cat, but it's just the seed husks of a particular flower (Plantago ovata) farmed specifically for that purpose.

Love, Columbine

Medusa
12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
You might want to consider trying a bit of psyllium fiber. It has no flavor, and is easy to mix with wet food, and it's been proven safe in cats. A lot of people don't like the idea of cutting open a capsule full of a "drug" for their cat, but it's just the seed husks of a particular flower (Plantago ovata) farmed specifically for that purpose.

Love, Columbine

That's a good idea. Another friend of mine sprinkles Metamucil on his cat's food. Might be worth a try, thanx. :)

cassiesmom
12-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Pidgie, I'm glad you're feeling better! Gentle *kiss* for you!

Marigold2
12-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Old age is awful. Sending Pidgie good wishes for a speedy recovery.

krazyaboutkatz
12-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Mary, I hope that her appetite will get better and that she'll start feeling better soon. It sure is hard to watch our furkids grow old and get sick. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Prairie Purrs
12-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I hope that Pidge is feeling better and eating better today. My holiday wish is for your fur posse to have an extended break from health problems.

Medusa
12-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I hope that Pidge is feeling better and eating better today. My holiday wish is for your fur posse to have an extended break from health problems.

That was my wish, too, but apparently it isn't going to happen. See here:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=156642

Anikaca77
12-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Prays for Pidgie, yep you need to enjoy the good times thats for sure.

Just try to remember to breath. If you need to talk at all please call.

Melissa

Medusa
12-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Day 3 and she still won't eat. I gave her an appetite stimulant but I fear that my green eyed lady is on her way out. She isn't in any pain and she doesn't appear to be in any distress. I think she's just plain had it. I'm hoping that she can make it through Christmas, not for any sentimental reasons, though. This is a depressing time of year for me. My mother died during the holidays, my sister Elaine died on Christmas eve and my husband of nearly 25 years surprised me w/divorce papers during the holidays, so I get through as best I can, try to stay as cheerful as possible. I'll have a house full of guests on Christmas eve and I just don't want Pidge's illness and/or possible passing to be everyone's Christmas memory.

Please spare a prayer for my sweetie pie Pidgelet, that if she does decide to go that it'll be peaceful and painless. I want her to stay but if she needs to go, I'm at peace w/it. Sad but at peace.

Catty1
12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Prayers for your dear Pidgelet and I hope she can perk up a bit and enjoy Christmas with you. :love::love:

I hope something like pepcid or forti flora might soothe her tummy, and that is all it is...

She has had a long long life, and I hope it is longer and more than comfortable for her. Poor Boo...I hope he has his lady for a good long while yet.:love::love:

Queen of Poop
12-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Prayers for dear Pidge and you. Maybe she's just holding out for some turkey!

Medusa
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I just got off the phone w/Dr. Lee and asked if I could give her some Val Syrax Syrup and he said that would be his #1 suggestion and I can also give her a subQ treatment. Normally, I would do that w/out question but she has so many health issues that I don't want to do anything w/out checking w/him first. If the Val Syrax Syrup doesn't stimulate her appetite, I can give her Prednisolone. All this does, though, is artificially stimulate the appetite; it doesn't give her the will to live. But if I can get her comfortably through Christmas, then I'll do whatever it takes.

Pinot's Mom
12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Prayers for you and for Pidge - poor baby.:love:

gini
12-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Mary, my prayers are offered for you both.

Freedom
12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Prayers from RI for both of you. At age 21, her body could just decide it has had enough. That is never easy for us humans. Hugs to you Mary.

jennielynn1970
12-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Thoughts and prayers going out for you and for Pidge.

Hugs, Jennie

Taz_Zoee
12-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Mary, this makes me sooo very sad to hear the heartache you are going through right now. It's difficult any time of the year, but especially so around the holidays.

I am keeping you, Pidge, Slick and Max in my thoughts this holiday season. Uh oh, my eyes are starting to leak.......

krazyaboutkatz
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are going to out to Pidge. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Anikaca77
12-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Prays coming for Pidgie.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Prayers on the way for you and sweet Pidge! :love::love:

kuhio98
12-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Both of you are in our prayers. :love:

slick
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Please spare a prayer for my sweetie pie Pidgelet, that if she does decide to go that it'll be peaceful and painless. I want her to stay but if she needs to go, I'm at peace w/it. Sad but at peace. Oh Mary, I'm sitting here at work with LES! :( I know exactly how you feel. Sending lots of {{{hugs}}} and prayers.:love::love:

orangemm
12-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Lots of prayers going up for Pidgelet and you.

((((hugs)))) to you, Mary..............

pomtzu
12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this before I sent you an email. :( I'm so sorry that Pidge isn't doing better. Hopefully she can remain with you thru the holidays. It was just a year ago - right after Christmas - that her "twin sister" Brindle took her journey to RB.

Prayers coming from us, that Pidge will remain with you a little longer.

phesina
12-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Prayers and good wishes and healing energies are all coming from us.. and a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9813026 for sweet, beloved Pidgie.

And another for you, Mary: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9813026

Hugs and purrs,
Pat, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, and Sparkler

Medusa
12-21-2009, 02:13 PM
She went into acute renal failure and lost all control of her legs; she couldn't walk at all. I rushed her into Dr. Lee's, he came back into the office for me. Her bowels let loose in the carrier just as I was pulling into the parking lot. I had to have her PTS. I'll tell you more later. Right now I've got to bury my Pidgie. The ground is frozen and it'll be dark in an hour and a half.

pomtzu
12-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh no! Mary - I'm so sorry. Don't know what else to say right now...........

RIP sweet Pidgie. Brindle will be there for you at The Bridge. :love:

orangemm
12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
(((hugs))) Mary.......I am so sorry.

RIP little Pidgelet...........:(

Trinityagain
12-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh Mary...I am sooooo very sorry....play hard little one and let meowmie know you have arrived ok....

Catty1
12-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Sweet little Pidglet...your mom made sure you had Dr Lee committed to doing headstands/cartwheels/etc :)

Mary, you did every single thing right; Pidgie could not have had a better mom than you. :love: It does sound like her poor pretty body could take no more.

I can't begin to imagine how devastated you are. Sending hugs and prayers, that is all I can do.

:love::love::love::love:

(and special hugs to her man, Boo :( )

GILL
12-21-2009, 02:57 PM
We are sorry sorry, Just remember all the good times. You know she will be waiting.

Pinot's Mom
12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I am so sorry, Mary, I know you did everything you could. So sad...

RIP dear Pidge, your Mom loved you so, be happy at the Bridge.:love:

Medusa
12-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I didn't get anywhere w/digging the grave. The ground is frozen and I just wore myself out trying. A friend will come tomorrow morning to help me. In the meantime Pidge's body is in my garage; it isn't heated so it'll be ok there, even though she deserves better.

Dr. Lee thought at first, as did I, that she had a TIA b/c her legs and bowels gave out but by the time I got her in to his office and they cleaned her up, she could walk but not very well. At first it was as though she was trying to walk on ice; all four legs went out from under her but later she was wobbly but could walk. So he said "Mary, I don't know. Blood work will tell us more". When he came back, I could tell by his expression that the news wasn't good. All of her levels were through the roof. He said "She cannot live w/levels this high. Her kidneys are poisoning her. I may be able to keep her around for a few more days w/an IV and fluids, etc. to get you through Christmas but I don't think you want to do that" and I said "No, she's had enough. I think it's time".

It was quick and painless, which is what I wanted for her. I stroked her the entire time, told her she was the sweetest cat ever and that we're all going to miss her, to take a nice long rest and to look for Puddy at the Bridge, then to play hard after she's all rested. She wouldn't close her eyes so Dr. Lee closed them for me. He said "Look at her. She looks like a middle aged cat even now. Look at how strong she was!" I came home and found Boo sitting in the middle of the floor looking lost. I sure am going to miss that sweet face and feeling her tap my arm in that unassuming way of hers when she wanted a little attention.

I'll tell her story later in Cat Memorial. I'm just plain worn out right now. I haven't even showered yet today or eaten so I'm going to make some dinner, take a bath and then I'll be back. Thank you for all your prayers. They kept me going and I do believe that they kept Pidgelet around for a while longer.

slick
12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
My heart breaks for you Mary.:(:(

God speed little Pidgie. You had such a wonderful and loving Meowmie.

{{{hugs}}} Mary :love::love:

lvpets2002
12-21-2009, 03:31 PM
:( I am so so sorry of your loss of Pidgie.. I am just in tears right now for you & her.. RIP Pidgie.. God Speed to RB Heaven Wittle Precious Baby..

Prairie Purrs
12-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm so sorry. At some point you'll be able to look back on all those years of wonderful memories, but I know how little that matters right now. It's just terribly hard to lose them, at any age.

Rest well, Pidgie Pie. Keep a close eye on Boo and the rest of the Posse. You were a wonderful lady, and you'll be missed so very much.

3Catcondo
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM
RIP Pidgie. What a long life you lived, and you know how much your fur mom loved you.
Mary, I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way, she may be gone but she will never be forgotten. :love:

Amy

gini
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh, dear Mary, I am so sorry. There really aren't any proper words to console you right now, so I won't try.

Bless you, you are the best Mom ever to your feline family.

orangemm
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Mary, no one could have loved Pidge more than you have; she knew it and knows it now. I know your heart is broken, but now she is at the RB and her pain is over. You did something that is very hard for all of us, but it was the kindest thing for her.

Just because she's gone doesn't mean you can't love her forever.:love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
12-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh, Mary, my heart is breaking for you. That's what happened to my Leonardo. He couldn't even stand up to go to the bathroom. I had to face that keeping him longer would have been cruel.

You let her go with love and with dignity and she knows that. Prayers for you both. I'm sure she is being greated by a whole heard of Pet Talk pets and family at the Bridge even now. :love::love:

Cinder & Smoke
12-21-2009, 04:47 PM
So Sorry, Mary. :(

Rest In Peace, Pidgie ... and know that you'll always be missed.

She was a Good Trooper, Mary; and you were a very Loving Leader.

{{{Hugs}}} from :( Phred

Taz_Zoee
12-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I am bawling here at work. This is only the second time a PT pet has made this happen while I was at work.
I am soo sorry. I gasped when I saw the update. Reading what you wrote about when you were at the vet just brough back when I went through it with Taz.
You know you did the right thing, but it doesn't make the pain any less. Trust me, I know.
Give Boo lots of loves and hugs to you Mary.

RIP Pidgie

katladyd
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Pidge went the exact same way our beloved Tomas did. He was the same age, also. I am keeping you in my prayers while my eyes are flooding my desk. Please know I feel for you. Losing them is never easy and losing the one who has been with you forever is even harder.:( *hugs*:love:

lizbud
12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
I am so sorry Mary.:( (((Hugs))) Liz.

ChrisH
12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh, Mary. I am so sorry. :(

Time to rest now Pidgie. You are so loved by your meowmie and she will miss you so.

phesina
12-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh Mary, I am so very, very sorry.

Rest in peace now, dearest Pidge. You are so much loved.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} with LES,
Pat

Grace
12-21-2009, 06:23 PM
I am so very sorry, Mary.

jenluckenbach
12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
RIP Pidge. You will be greatly missed. :(

Karen
12-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Pidgie now has a thread over in Cat Memorial. It is here. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2219339#post2219339)