PDA

View Full Version : A good education is expensive

sumbirdy
12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm going to be starting college next fall (a little late since I'll be 21) I just can't believe how expensive everything is. Since I will be moving in January I'm searching for another job, but my experience is very little. (I can't even really write a good resume with what I have) It seems I can't find a high enough paying job to be able to afford to go to college. I'm glad they have financial aid, but really how much of everything does that actually cover? There is student loans, but do I really want to be stuck with paying them back for a while? It's just very stressful trying to figure out how I'm going to cover all of this.

Karen
12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Do work with the college financial aid office. Yes, it is expensive. Have you decided what college you want to attend and what program? In some states, state colleges are far more cost-effective an education. You can also check about work study to help pay for school. They are used to your exact issue, I promise, and will have plenty of ideas and ways to help.

Marigold2
12-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes it is very expensive to go but more so to not. Without college a women is at a great disadvantage all her life. Karen gave some great advice. Don't let anything stop you from getting your education. You will never regret it.

RICHARD
12-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Here in California, the state just increased fees by 33%.

Naturally, the students protested the raise.

During the protests they interviewed one kid that was not very well spoken.

He began to complain about the increase, the hardship and said something like, The school charges a great deal of money for sub par education.
But it was the way he said it that shocked me.....
'You know, the school charges way too much for education that is no good'.:eek:

--------------

I didn't catch where it happened, but a bunch of kids vandalized some school president's home on account of the increase-as if he had something to do with it?

---------

Like Karen said,

One way to maximize your school dollars is to take classes at local or state colleges. You can transfer some credits to Uni's-take basic classes at a JC, then when you find that you need a specialized major, you are not as burdened when you transfer to a large institute.

Oh and plan ahead, even if it is a loose outline of what you want with your education, think a few semesters ahead.

Be prepared,

You will take at least ONE class that will make you want to change your direction in life, I guarantee it.:D

And do not hesitate to change a class if you do not like the teacher.

I have spent a few classes hating the teacher, the way they taught and have settled for a less-than-stellar grade because I was too stupid and lazy to change a class.

IT's your education and you will be more that thrilled when you finish a class with a great teacher, that has a good teaching style. You'll know it because you WANT to go to class.

pomtzu
12-13-2009, 01:19 PM
I consider myself fortunate that I'm not in the generation just starting out - having to get a college education in order to get any kind of decent paying job.

When I was starting my adult life in the early 60's, you could get a very good job with just a h.s. diploma, and a few extra tech courses or even seminars, got you even a better one.

Back then - work/life experience counted a great deal - but not today. I was in the business/accounting field, and always had a good job with good pay, even tho I didn't have any degree that placed a lot of letters after my name. Both of my brothers were brilliant engineers, and my oldest brother holds several patents, both h.s. school graduates with a few specialty courses and apprenticeships - no college degrees - just on the job experience.

Of course this is not possible in today's hi-tech world. It's a shame that so many very intelligent people will not be able to achieve the max of their potential, simply because they cannot afford the expense of college, and cannot benefit from on the job experience, because they won't be hired without that college degree.

Freedom
12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
the financial aid office can help you set up
- scholarships
- loans
- work study oppotunities.

sumbirdy
12-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone. The college I'm planning on going to is a Community College. Therefore it is a lot cheaper, but still costs more than I can really afford. Living with my friend this next year will let me save a little bit of money for it, but not a whole lot. I definetely still plan on going, no matter what it takes. It's just stressful thinking about all the preperations I have to make for it.

Karen
12-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Definitely talk with them about financial aid, okay? There are myriad forms you need to fill out and all that - and they can guide you through it!

momcat
12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Congratulations and the best of luck in college! You've made the right decision and you won't regret it. Definitely work with your financial aid office. The funding is out there so take the initiative. If you do computers, search scholarships, grants and the like. Apply for anything you might be eligible for, you have nothing to loose.

I did my first few years of college part time while working full time to get the money. Sure it was tough but I'd do it again. My son is doing it the same way and he's doing very well. Keep all your options open and above all else, keep doing your research on funding.

Cataholic
12-14-2009, 08:05 AM
I would live at home until you complete your education. In many cases, that might not be ideal, but, it is possible. Big difference between ideal and possible.

Not getting an education is so much more costly in the end. It isn't about letters after your name, or some indicator of brilliance. It is a sign to potential employers, and yourself (the most important employer) that you are teachable, can reason, have some diversity beyond high school algebra, and can commit to something for 4 years.

Obtaining an education after high school also allows you to open your mind, explore your world beyond what you have largely been subjected to for the last 12 years- educationally. Here, in the states, what you are taught is very american focused. In college, you get the opportunity to hear/learn from people that might not be american educated. It was VERY interesting for me to hear from iraqi teachers, for instance.

Taking classes at community college and online is less expensive than the traditional, 4 year, bricks and mortar type experience some of us older folks went through. One thing I remember from way back when was taking a full-time load could mean anything from 12-19 credit hours. It was cheaper in the long run to take 19 credits, though maybe harder, then to take part-time credits which were based on the number of hours. That might be different today, and maybe it varies place to place. But, taking 10 semesters part time was more expensive than taking 8 semester full load.

emily_the_spoiled
12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Congratulations on making the decision to go back to school! Your education is the one thing that no one can ever take from you. It will not be easy, but I think I can promise you that it will be worth it in the long run. (Hey I liked it so much I went back three times :rolleyes: but then again some people just say that I am sick!)

You are taking the right approach by starting with Community College. That way you can get back into the "habit" of going to school and studying, while working. But as people say, talk with the financial aid office. It is expensive to go to school and they know it, so they are more than willing to help you out but you have to ask.

lizbud
12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone. The college I'm planning on going to is a Community College. Therefore it is a lot cheaper, but still costs more than I can really afford. Living with my friend this next year will let me save a little bit of money for it, but not a whole lot. I definetely still plan on going, no matter what it takes. It's just stressful thinking about all the preperations I have to make for it.

The stress will lessen ounce you start acting on your goals. If you get
down about all the things you have to do,or how long it will take,
just stop and think where you'll be ten years from now if you don't do anything.
Best of luck to you.:)