PDA

View Full Version : Triggerfish

Puckstop31
12-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Triggerfish... Learn about them here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triggerfish

Turns out they are pretty AND delicious. Who knew? When I lived in Florida, I would see them while diving all the time. Never thought they were any good to eat.

So, we are in Florida this week visiting my parents. We went out on a "party boat" fishing charter. Caught 5 of them, Queen variety. The mate, the captain and several of the paying passengers gave several recipies on how to prepare them. They call them the "poor mans lobster" due to their texture and flavor.

O....M....G....

I fried some and broiled some with butter, Old Bay, salt and pepper. Fried... Well, it was fried fish. It was good. Broiled... WOW. Quite possibly the best broiled fish I have ever had.

Any body ever have it before? It is GOOD. Yet, I have never seen it on menus.

aTailOf2Kitties
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I've had it before but it was one we caught and cooked ourselves. It's a little harder to clean than a regular fish, according to my boyfriend. That may be why it's not very common. You can find it on the menu sometimes in smaller more low-key food joints.

Where are you in FL?

Medusa
12-12-2009, 06:05 AM
Never even heard of it but it sounds yummy. There's nothing like fresh fish that you've just caught yourself, though. I was camping w/a BF once and a neighbor at a nearby camper had just caught some fish, immediately cleaned it and grilled it outdoors, gave me a sample as we were headed out of the campsite. I have never tasted anything so delicious in all my life. I wonder, is triggerfish just found in places like FL or do you think we could find it in a market locally? Like you, I've never seen it on a menu.

Puckstop31
12-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I've had it before but it was one we caught and cooked ourselves. It's a little harder to clean than a regular fish, according to my boyfriend. That may be why it's not very common. You can find it on the menu sometimes in smaller more low-key food joints.

Where are you in FL?

Yes, they are harder to clean... At least it seemed to be more difficult. The mate cleaned them for us. Better tip for him that way. :)

We are in Hobe Sound visiting my parents. Bummer is we hit the road home tomorrow. But its all good... We miss our doggies. LOL

sparks19
12-12-2009, 09:47 AM
actually the captain cleaned the trigger fish for us :) it did look more difficult and he said that their skin is quite thick so it makes it difficult.

I'm not sure where all they are located. I wonder if it's the sort of thing you might find around here in a fish market but not in a grocery store or anything.