PDA

View Full Version : Holiday candle scent recommendations

kuhio98
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm looking for a candle that smells like fresh Christmas tree/greenery. Pine, spruce, etc.

Nothing with vanilla, or cinnamon, etc.

Any suggestions? The ones I've found in our local stores smell like trees doused in perfume :(

I bought a fresh wreath from the nursery and it helps but I'm looking for more (or else I'll go out and buy 3 or 4 more wreaths at $45 a pop!)

Guess I'm just mourning not having a real tree this year. The fake one is beautiful but lacks the aroma. :D

Anway, if you have some suggestions, please lemme know.

sirrahbed
12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Glade has some new holiday prodcuts that I love!! Try the newest Pine & Cedar soy based candles - I really love their scents:

Karen
12-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Pick up a few pine cones somewhere, then put them in a low-heat oven. We did that one year to "open" some bull pine cones that were still shut tight so I could use them in wreath-making, the house smelled wonderful!

3Catcondo
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Bath and Body works has some good smelling candles, one being Fresh Balsam and another one called Leaves. I like them both alot, but my favorite is the Balsam. They are also 14.5 oz and are on sale for 2/$20...
They also have some others that might work for you too that I haven't smelled before. They burn well and smell great.

gemini9961
12-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Try Yankee Candle Company, they have nice holiday scents. I have the Balsam Fir and Red Berry/Cedar ones right now.

Vermontcat
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Yankee Candles are good.
You also might like Aunt Sadie's Tree in a Can.
http://www.pajamagram.com/astreeinacan.html

kitten645
12-12-2009, 12:48 AM
FRAISER FIR by The Thyme's! I buy scents for a living and this is far and away the best ever! You might be hard pressed to find it now as it sells out quickly every year!:eek: The room spray is amazing. I spray it on our fake trees in the store and EVERYONE who walks in says "I can't believe you have real trees!" The candles are pretty awesome also! You may be able to still get it somewhere online.

Medusa
12-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Try what I do: find a non-flammable oil that you like at a craft store and lightly anoint a candle w/it. The scent wafts through the air w/out overpowering your house. There is an oil called "Christmas tree" but I'd stay away from the pine oils. They always smell like Pine Sol to me.

moosmom
12-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Yankee Candle - "Christmas Wreath" or "Cedar and Balsam" Another brand is "Wooden Wick" They've got great scents and their wicks are actually wood!!

Good luck!

kuhio98
12-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I haven't had any luck with the limited selection of Yankee Candles that I've found. But, they just opened a Bed, Bath and Beyond, so I'll check them out. Also Thymes used to make my favorite scent (Persian Pear) so I'll definitely check out Frasier Fir.

Thanks again.

Daisy and Delilah
12-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I like the Febreeze pine scent. It's not expensive and smells pretty good.
I used to get the Yankee Candle Donna mentioned. I need to get to a Yankee Candle store.

Lisa, I've ordered from Yankee Candle online many times and have always been happy with how quickly I got the package. You have all of they're scents to choose from and you can see their sale items too.:)

Killearn Kitties
12-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, I think you should break down and get a real tree. Nothing else smells like it!

(Please forgive this post if I have missed a reason as to why you can't get a real tree.)

pomtzu
12-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I have a Yankee Candle reed diffuser in Balsam and Cedar, and it smells exactly like a fresh Christmas tree is in the room.

kuhio98
12-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Well, I think you should break down and get a real tree. Nothing else smells like it!

(Please forgive this post if I have missed a reason as to why you can't get a real tree.)

This is the first year (since I got out on my own) that I haven't had a real tree. Bobcat had major back surgery last month and is still slowly recovering. Neither of us felt up to wrestling a real tree up all the stairs. I got a fake tree. It's beautiful, but nothing can compare to a real one.

I might go to one of the Christmas tree lots and see if they can give me some shavings or bark and try to make my own potpouri. :)

Karen
12-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Even the title of the thread makes me cringe, as scented candles usually are pretty deadly for me. I hold my breathe and run past candle stores in malls. That's why I suggested the pine cones! ;)

I bet the lot would sell or let you take away some of the branches they trim from the trees they sell!

Killearn Kitties
12-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Best wishes to Bobcat! I hope his recovery continues to go well. That is a big problem with real trees, they are so unwieldy.

I'll bet you could make lovely pot pourri. It's got to be worth a try. :)

cassiesmom
12-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Thoughts and prayers for Bobcat!!

I love Thymes candles.

I got a good one at Kohl's yesterday, called "winter berries". It was $9.99, on sale for $3.99, and because I used my Kohl's credit card, I got an extra 15% off. They also have one called "spiced cider" which is sort of a tangerine/orange color and smells just like spiced cider. They're in round glass jars.