PDA

View Full Version : Brief update on my university application.

Miss Z
12-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Hello PT,

After yet another long period of school work and many other things eating up my time, I can spare a few minutes to let you all know how I'm getting on with my university application, and to hear how all my favourite PTers are doing. :)

As many of you know, I'm applying to study Veterinary Medicine, a subject which, over here, always has far more applicants than places (usually in a 7:1 ratio, eep) and has a very high entry level requirement.

I received invitiation for interview at both Glasgow and Cambridge universities. My Cambridge interview is this Friday, and although I do feel incredibly nervous about it, I am determined to give it all I have, and if it turns out that it doesn't work in my favour, then at least I'll know that I tried my best. My Glasgow interview is the following Friday.

I feel like I haven't stopped since early September - what with duties as Deputy Head Pupil and debating competitions (we managed to win our round of Cambridge Union Parliamentary Debating... which means we now have to work towards the regional finals, haha). Christmas please hurry up!!! :p

I hope everyone here is well and, if I don't get chance to post here beforehand, I hope you all have a very merry Christmas.

Zara

Karen
12-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh, good luck with the interviews, we are sure you will knock them dead! They would each be lucky to have you as a candidate - and if you need any references we would happy to provide them!

If you end up in Glasgow, my old boss retired back home to Glasgow! I have been to visit once, and it's an interesting city, full of gold stone and warm people, even on a rainy January day.

carole
12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for stopping by Zara to let us know how you are doing, you are going to be a very busy young lady, and we are all so proud of you for doing so well, good luck with your studies and take care and enjoy your free time when and if you get any merry xmas to you and a happy new year.

Edwina's Secretary
12-09-2009, 03:24 PM
So good to hear how you are doing Zara!

Vet school is difficult but I can think of few others who stand as good a chance as you do!

I remember when my brother was applying for vet school - it was easier to get into medical school than vet school!

If it is Glasgow, I know a PetTalker with three gray ladies who leaves in a suburb....:D:D

Best wishes for incredibly successful interviews and a very merry Christmas!

caseysmom
12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I know exactly what you are going through, my daughter is going through the same thing right now. So much stress, so many deadlines. She had an interview with 15 people last Saturday, we are very glad to have that over with. I am positive they will accept you, good luck!

lizbud
12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Best of luck with the interviews. Do you have a favorite Universary?

There is another PTer who also is going to be a Vet. I'm sure you two
have a lot in common. Here is Kater's last post.:)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=157560

Barbara
12-10-2009, 03:02 AM
I keep my fingers crossed, Zara. Viel Glück!
But I am with Edwina's Secretary: you have excellent chances and we all here know they should be happy to get you:)

K9karen
12-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I have no doubt that you will awe the interviewers with your intelligence, grace, beauty, energy and confidence! Can't wait to hear how your interview with Cambridge goes! Lots of good energy and luck sent across the ocean!

Rachel
12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Ditto to what Karen said, and do let us know which University was lucky enough to get you.

jennielynn1970
12-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Good luck, Zara!! I'll be thinking about you at Cambridge today!

Medusa
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm sure that all will be smooth sailing for you. The world needs more good vets and no doubt you're one in the making. :)

Killearn Kitties
12-12-2009, 07:07 AM
How did you feel about the first interview then? I hope it went well for you.
Good luck, but I am sure they will both be clamouring for you!

Marigold2
12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
How incredibly wonderful Zara. My niece is a vet and yes the road is long, hard and at times lonely but the joy of realizing a dream stays with you all your life. Linda is a true animal lover and sees the beauty and joy in each creature she is perfect for the job and I am sure you will be as well.
If I may give you just one bit of advice..
Linda was always the smartest in every class she took all her life. When she got to Ohio State which is a first class vet school here in the states she wasn't the smartest any more. I am sure you have always been the brighest in every class as well. When you get to vet school you will be with your equals in intelligence, a new expericence for sure. Everyone stuggles, everyone finds the classes more difficult then they ever imagined and most get through it with a total sense of pride. It was a surprise to Linda how much work and how much there was to learn but she got through it and is doing well at her job in the clinic.
I wish you all the best of luck. I am sure you will make an excellent Dr and the animals and their humans will find great happiness and hope with you.

Miss Z
12-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Thank you very much for all of your kind words. :)

My Cambridge interview was .... difficult! Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be a walk in the park, but a little part of me was secretly hoping that I would be asked questions I knew all the answers to. :p

I had two interviews at Cambridge - the first with a biochemist, and the second with the head of veterinary studies at the college. The first interview was the toughest. I was basically asked questions regarding biology and chemistry experiments; I'm guessing they were looking for how you apply your knowledge to answer questions on something you've never heard about or seen performed. Had a sticky moment trying to work out logarithms in my head, but other than that I gave the rest of the questions my best shot. Still, I didn't come out of that interview feeling particularly great.

The second one went better, I felt. The questions were still very academic but more vet-related, and I got the chance to bring in some anecdotes from my work experience, as well as articles and the likes that I've read. So, overall, I couldn't tell you how I think I did. I suppose it partially depends on how all the other applicants handled it!

The Cambridge college I've applied to, Sidney Sussex, is BEAUTIFUL. It's in the centre of Cambridge town whilst still being secluded within its own little walls. I would really, really love to study there, but of course I just don't know how my application has been judged. A friend who applied to study art at Oxford university got his rejection through a few days ago. :( And he thought his interview went well - so on that basis I'm a bit uneasy about my chances!

The Glasgow interview was entirely different. They were more interested in what I've gained from my work experience, my stance on ethical issues, my interests and me as a person. I felt that interview went quite well, as my debating experience has taught me to gab on and on about my points of view. :p But, of course, nothing is certain, and the other applicants I met that day seemed confident about it too. So, we'll see.

Glasgow is lovely too - they've just had an amazing new small animal hospital built. I could definitely see myself in one of the swanky little consulting rooms, haha. :D

I still haven't heard from my other universities (Edinburgh and the Royal Veterinary College, London), but I'll find out whether it's yea or nay from Cambridge and Glasgow in January.

moosmom
12-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Wherever you do go, they will be VERY lucky to have you Zara. You are very mature and wise beyond your years. I'm 56 and still not sure what I wanna be when I grow up. You've got it all mapped out. I commend you.

Have a wonderful holiday, honey. I'll be thinking of you.

(((((HUGS))))) and :love::love::love:

Donna and fur kids

Miss Z
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Thought I'd update this whilst I'm here.

To cut a long story short, I was rejected from Cambridge. :( I was pretty upset, angry, and quite a few other emotions when I got the letter. I'd worked so hard for so many years, then had 20 minutes with an interviewer who plainly wasn't all that into me from the start, and it was all gone.

I think now however, I feel fine about it. Not to be stereotypical (or bitter!), but I think Cambridge look more for a certain type of person, perhaps in a more refined way than other universities do, particularly for a vocational subject like veterinary medicine. My interview there was so startlingly different from my Glasgow interview - I felt Glasgow were more concerned with whether I have the right sense of judgement, empathy, and communication abilities to cope with being a vet. Cambridge wanted to know how much biology and chemistry I knew. And not to be funny, but my public exam results can prove I don't lack in that respect.

So I don't yet have a definitive reason why I was rejected, but in all honesty it's neither here nor there for me now. :) I can move on because a few days later.... my Glasgow offer arrived!!! I was very pleased with that, since I love the university and they have AVMA accreditation, meaning I can work in the USA when I qualify. And, I got the impression at interview that they were assessing me as a person rather than just a brain (coincidently - I have heard of two successful Cambridge vet applicants this year who were rejected from Glasgow. Tee hee. :p)

I finally heard from the Royal Veterinary College (in London) and am due to have an interview there in February. I have my fingers crossed for this one - I'm applying for the 6 year vet med with an intercalated science degree, so I'll end up with two degrees if I am accepted!

Thanks for the continued support. It is very much appreciated!!

caseysmom
01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Good job on your acceptance. We all know that Cambridge would have been lucky to have you...their loss.

How far is Cambridge from your hometown? Will you live on campus? What are the fees like?

My daughter is going through the same thing right now, she got her first acceptance letter for aeronautical engineering to San Diego State, that was one of her "safe" schools but she is still happy to at least be accepted their.

Miss Z
01-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Congratulations to your daughter! :D

Cambridge and Glasgow are about the same distance away from where I live, just in opposite directions. :p I think it's a good 200-250 miles or so, perhaps more. In other words it's a 3 1/2 hour car journey to each. I suppose, however, the good thing about the UK is that you're never really more than 6 hours away from anywhere!

Fees are horrid. I'm estimating my debt will be over £40,000 upon graduation, and probably an extra few thousand if I am accepted and go to London. I can apply for a fairly decent student loan but it won't be a luxurious life to lead, that's for sure! It doesn't help that our government decided to cut university funding this year, meaning fees are likely to increase even more. At least paying it back only comes in little installments, most vets I've spoken to pay it off over a course of 5-10 years.

Alysser
01-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Zara, I am sorry you didn't get accepted to Cambridge, but obviously it wasn't meant to be..and like mom (caseysmom) says their loss. Seriously, though I am glad you got other offers and am glad you have so many different options for your future. Best of luck to you! :love: I can't wait till you come to the states.

caseysmom
01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Congratulations to your daughter! :D

Cambridge and Glasgow are about the same distance away from where I live, just in opposite directions. :p I think it's a good 200-250 miles or so, perhaps more. In other words it's a 3 1/2 hour car journey to each. I suppose, however, the good thing about the UK is that you're never really more than 6 hours away from anywhere!

Fees are horrid. I'm estimating my debt will be over £40,000 upon graduation, and probably an extra few thousand if I am accepted and go to London. I can apply for a fairly decent student loan but it won't be a luxurious life to lead, that's for sure! It doesn't help that our government decided to cut university funding this year, meaning fees are likely to increase even more. At least paying it back only comes in little installments, most vets I've spoken to pay it off over a course of 5-10 years.

If my daughter goes to a UC it will be about $35,000 a year. Her first choice is the Air Force Academy which is a full scholarship, she is still waiting for a congressional nomination which is required, she was accepted based on her grades, she also needs to do a breathing test because she had childhood asthma, the Air Force Academy is in Colorado and it is a full scholarship, she would be required to be an officer in the AF for 5 years to pay back the education but she went for a visit and fell in love.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Zara, I'm so sorry you didn't get accepted into Cambridge. I know how frustrated you are.:( Keep your chin up girl, don't let this keep you down.:) Don't give up- you can do it!!!
Here in the US, there are only 29 universities with a DVM program . So yes, getting into a MD program is so much 'easier'.
As of right now, I am going through a Veterinary Technology program to become an RVT (california Registered Veterinary Technician). It is difficult, and requires me to do A LOT of studying on my own. We just started anesthesia today, and was told by an instructor that all of the things we have learned prior is to ready us for anesthesia. It's not easy, but I've wanted to do this since I was 2.

You are lucky you know what you want to do, and are actually pursuing your dream in veterinary medicine. A lot of people have told me 'Oh when I was a kid, I wanted to do that too!' But only so many people actually pursue it!

I have faith in you, Zara!!:love:

cassiesmom
01-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Congratulations for Glasgow, Zara! What wonderful news! I'll be praying for you for the Royal Veterinary College interview in February, too. I wish you all success for your future!

Elyse

Roxyluvsme13
01-21-2010, 08:38 PM
They do Vet school so differently in the UK! I'm sorry you didn't get into Cambridge but since you are highly intelligent and at the top of your class, I am certain you will get in somewhere!

Here we have to do the four years of pre-vet and then the four years of vet. Or at least that's what the state of Tennessee requires, I believe. I felt really awesome getting into the University of TN, (my major is Animal Science/Pre-Vet Medicine), but Vet school is going to be a whole other story. 85 people per year, which I guess that's better than the 7:1 ratio you mentioned early :p.

Anyway, I have faith in you, Zara and I'm sure you will excel and be a Vet in no time :love: *hugs*

Miss Z
01-22-2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks everyone. :)

Kaitlyn, how wonderful that you are on your way to becoming a vet technician! Everyone I speak to tells me how hard any veterinary related course is so I'm gradually preparing myself. :p I do believe that when you have the passion for that career, however, and have been harbouring it for a long time like you have, you are bound to succeed no matter how tough it gets. Best of luck with it!

Bri, I hope our paths cross at some point during our vet studies! :D

Karen
01-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Good to hear at least Glasgow was smart enough to know a good person when they interviewed one! And we'll keep our fingers crossed for you in February in London - more expensive a place to live, but whatever you wish is our wish for you!

Barbara
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Congratulations on Glasgow! I can understand that not getting an offer from Cambridge was deceiving - but at least they seem to have totally different criteria and while I would always go for the Cambridge criteria in a theoretical science I feel they could be quite wrong if it comes to a science that influences the life of others (an with "others" I mean humans and animals) as much as veterinary science does.
So I am curious to hear the next part of the story. I would certainly hope to meet you next time I will be with Killearn Kitties or in London where I am quite often for business reasons :D

*LabLoverKEB*
01-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Zara you are more than welcome. My friends and my parents friends are SO supportive of me, and are so encouraging. And let me tell you mt friend, the encouragement I get from people makes we want to be the very best I can be!:love:

Roxyluvsme13
01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Bri, I hope our paths cross at some point during our vet studies! :D
Hehe me, too. When we're feeling down and lonely and like throwing our computers and school books out the window, we can have a support group, LMAO. :D