PDA

View Full Version : I now have a Potential major...:) Now what?

Alysser
12-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Okay guys, I believe you remember me posting about how I was worried for my future and how I had no clue what I wanted to major in in college. Well, I managed to find a private college that gives pretty good scholarships and it has two majors that sound very interesting. A degree in Fine Arts with a focus on Animation (#1 choice) and Fine Arts in Graphic Design. Graphic Design is also a Minor. I've been reading up on this and have asked a few other forums, and I didn't exactly get what I wanted to hear. People have been telling me Graphic Design is not in very high demand and it's sort of a dead end job. Some of them took it in College and now they are jobless - I don't want that to happen to me. I think it depends on the region. I live literally and hour from NYC and there's apparently a big demand for it there. Maybe, I am worried about debt, finances, living when I am older - but I am TERRIFIED of ending up with a job I hate. My dad did that and it's the only thing he regrets everyday.

So, I am just asking anyone who may have a background in this of some sort. Is Graphic design really that bad to go into? and if not, how did you gain experience?

I already have some. I've made PLENTY signatures and avatars, although my programs have almost dwindled down to nothing but Photofiltre for the time being since I needed to change laptops. I made several small very basic animations and I am very good with computers. I also know a bit about HTML and Flash animations. I guess the only thing is, I am not an EXCELLENT drawer, I'm just okay at it I guess.

Grrr, I hate how I find something I could possibly do and it'll apparently end up in the garbage.

Karen
12-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I am a graphic designer, and my degree is a BFA in Illustration. The job market is very different now than when I was first out of college, and I am sure it will change again dramatically in the next 4 years as well.

It is an amazing time to be a graphic designer - 50 years ago, there was no way for an artists to have their work seen around the world instantaneously, but the Internet has changed that.

I suggest starting out at that school, and seeing what exactly gives you joy. Remember, everything you see that was made was designed by someone - from the shoes on your feet to the chair that you sit in, to the images on the computer in front of you.

prechrswife
12-09-2009, 08:30 AM
My sister has a BFA in Graphic Design. She currently works for a software company in Atlanta and has consistently worked in her field since graduating from college in 1999. That said, she has been with her current company for awhile & is the only graphic designer on staff, so I have no idea about the current job market. I do know that she had to move to a major metropolitan area (Atlanta) to find employment when she graduated from college.

Husky_mom
12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
just like Karen said.. times change a LOT.. I too am a graphic designer..and man do you have to keep updated hehe...

having a non-related job made me rusty on some areas.. but I´m trying to get back on track for when I need it and am ready...

it also depends as you said on demand.. in my country and my original State it was not very much appreciated.. and very much unvalued so they paid miserably for a job as one.. hence I got un-related jobs...

CountryWolf07
12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
That's great! :) I majored in Graphic Design at Kent State, but that changed. I majored in Art & Technology at Ohio State, got accepted into the BA program, but, in the end, I decided to major with a BA in Art. I may go back to school, but I was very tired out by the college life by the time I was 24. Imagine that!
Good luck! :) Great choices, too!

Alysser
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys for the info and encouragement! I am not totally taken on these two majors yet. I haven't completely shied away from animals, but I don't think I'm gonna end up with doing any of that. I am also looking into Computer science or Communications. I'm not bad with tech stuff, I'm not a total tech geek but I do know some stuff about both of it and I do find it interesting.

I just feel a bit of shame that I went into and Animal and Plant program in HS and may not end up doing that. I went into HS so sure I was gonna be working with animals =/ It seems like a waste really.

Casper
12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Thats awesome! I have often thought about switching my major from Studio Art to Graphic Design/Web Design... but the college I am attending doesn't offer it...

It does really depend on location. One of my art professors graduated from college not long ago with a degree in Graphic Design and sculpture. He couldn't find work in those fields so he teaches at the college two days a week and the rest is spent working for a car dealership. Keep in mind, though, I live in a super rural area. Like mentioned by someone else, you would probably have to stay in a major metropolitan area to get work. That doesn't sound like a problem for you, though. :)

If you are really worried about job opportunities you might be able to contact a professor that teaches Graphic Design in your area and ask him/her how many of their students received jobs in that field after graduation. Somehow they tend to know this...

I just feel a bit of shame that I went into and Animal and Plant program in HS and may not end up doing that. I went into HS so sure I was gonna be working with animals =/ It seems like a waste really.

Knowledge is never a waste! :D

emily_the_spoiled
12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Although my first degree is not in graphic arts, I can understand what you are saying about not enjoying the work. I worked as a pharmacist for 6 years and went back to school, then I continued to work as a pharmacist while in school and for another 2 years after finishing (the second go around). What I finally did was quit practicing all together and went back to school in a different field.

The point of this short story is just to say, that any decision you make now can always be changed later in life. I was fortunate enough to go back to school 3 times and I FINALLY ended up doing something that I really enjoy (most days :D). It took me 16 years after graduating from high school, but it was worth it ...

k9krazee
12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
My boyfriend is getting a Bachelors degree in Graphic Design come May. It's a competitive program here, anybody can get an Associates degree but to go into the Bachelor's program you need to pass a portfolio review. I know a lot of people that didn't make it and either have to retake their second year or do something else. I'm not sure if it's a competitive program like that everywhere, just something to keep in mind.

I too am worried about the demand for his type of work, but he enjoys it. However, keeping in touch with past graduates it seems as if 90% of them have been able to find a job in the field. You just have to know where to look and be willing to relocate if necessary.

caseysmom
12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I think whatever you major in you will be successful, just follow your dreams.

RICHARD
12-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Take all the 'basic' classes during your first few sememsters, that way you can skate thru the last semesters of school.

You can take a few classes of your major at the same time and really see if you want to go thru with it.

Also look at the sub-subjects of GD.

If you don't do GD you may like programming or ??

Good Luck!

Suki Wingy
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I second taking basic classes, most people have no clue what they want to do when they get out of high school, and a LOT of people change majors. I still don't know what I want to do past about a year or two in the future.

Alysser
12-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I think you have to take basic classes, not positive though. I am really thinking about a Computer Science Degree and RICHARD I think that includes programming. I could possibly minor in GD. I am wondering though, for those with Computer Science degrees or something related - was there alot of HARD math involved? I believe I can do it if there's not math that's to hard. I've been reading alot about it and I read about how there's not much math. It depends on which direction you go in and all that. My Dad has an IT degree and said it involves alot of Binary and Computer Language and all that. I've been looking at the courses at 3 different schools and it includes some math courses like Calculus and Discrete Math. Discrete math, I believe I can do, but Calculus :eek:

So, my question is, is there alot of HARD math involved? Oh, and my friend said her mom is a computer science major or something and that the field is completely dead :confused: is that true? I wouldn't think so, this is the "computer age" after all.

caseysmom
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I majored in IT, a lot has changed since the 1980's though. I didn't have to take much math, I took business calculus which wasn't too bad.

Honestly if you were my kid...well you sort of are:D I wouldn't recommend the computer field, it is so volatile. I know a lot of people that have lost their jobs in the last few years.

emily_the_spoiled
12-11-2009, 07:39 AM
But if you could learn to program in SAS (a statistical program language) or another stats program there are LOTS of positions out there