PDA

View Full Version : Steam vacuum recommendations?

Kater
12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm hoping someone can help me out by recommending a relatively inexpensive steam vacuum. Kirk deposited some lovely vomit and diarrhea on the carpet yesterday and I just cannot get it all out with scrubbing alone. I can't stand the smell of it (Nature's miracle + poo) and I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy yet another cheap American gadget. LOL, sorry, I've had a very bad run with vacuums breaking lately despite meticulously cleaning of the bagless canisters and filters with EACH use. It's so frustrating to buy this junk and then run in to companies that are not willing to back up products like they say they will. :(

Anyway, please tell me someone has a steam vacuum they can recommend! I'm desperate here! :confused:

(If there is already a thread about this, then feel free to direct me there...I've been out of the PT loop for months.)

Cataholic
12-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I have heard- but never independently verified, that steam SETS a stain.

I would encourage you to purchase OdorXit, and follow the directions. Then, I would buy Oxyclean, and follow those directions.

Nice to see you!!

Kater
12-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Really? Sets it? Not good.

My only experience with Oxyclean caused bleaching of the carpet. I have not heard of OdorXit, but I will look into it - thank you!

I just don't know how to get everything UP....when you are adding these products and scrubbing it may break things down somewhat, but it just seems to stay in the carpet in the end. Bleck.

Cataholic
12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I have used Oxyclean a lot. Just one time, and it was recent, did it bleach something out. I put a heavy application on a pair of new jeans that Jonah had on. I looked out my mom's window to see him being pulled around by his arms by his cousins. LOL. First time he wore them, and they were heavily grass stained. So, the jeans now have no grass stain, but, small white bleachy looking stains. I put a ton of the stuff on, and left it on.

Maybe a lighter application? The scrubbing does unravel the carpet weave.

mruffruff
12-09-2009, 08:05 AM
I have always had good results by using Simple Solution by Outright. Soak the area, blot, and allow to dry. It takes a while for all of the odor to disappear, but it does remove both stains and odors.

I use a lot of it for the kitty that can't hold her poop. (medical problem)

emily_the_spoiled
12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
With 11 cats in the house I finally broke down and bought a new steam cleaner this year (the old one died...) I ended up with a Bissell (again) and it works very well. They also have a special solution just for Pet Stains, so that might work well for you. But it was definitely worth it!

I got my at Big Lots for about $90, but it was the discontinuation of an old line. I am not sure what they are running now.

kitten645
12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
In my efforts to go "green" I've been looking into the whole carpet cleaning situation (two very good kitties, one VERY old foster (RB) that stained up the carpet pretty good. :rolleyes:) I bought a small Bissell from Target...$69. I got the pet stain stuff. I really like how it worked. But it seems to have gotten dirty again quickly (sans the offending kitty) I read something about a service that uses ionized water to clean carpets. The theory being that ANY rug shampoo/cleaner, no matter how well the carpet is rinsed, will leave a residue. That residue attracts new dirt on the old stains. Another suggested solution is to use the carpet cleaner with a diluted white vinegar solution that doesn't leave a film. Or a baking soda solution. That seems to make sense to me so I'm going to have a go at it....sometime when I have the time! Seems the vinegar/baking soda option is the answer to many homekeeping situations. I do love my my Oxiclean too though!:D