PDA

View Full Version : Subway feral poofed!

columbine
12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Original article on boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/12/07/kenmore_the_cat_leaves_train_station_for_trolley_o perators_home/)

Kenmore the cat leaves station for comfort of trolley operator’s home
By Emily Sweeney
Globe Staff / December 7, 2009

A stray cat that had been living at Kenmore Station has finally found a real home.

After months of roaming the tunnels and dodging trolleys, the striped tabby - named Kenmore - is being adopted by MBTA trolley operator Karen Ingraham.

Kenmore was first spotted on the tracks by MBTA employees in July, according to Ingraham.

“He was a little kitten hiding by the rubber under the rails,’’ said Ingraham, who lives in Roslindale. “We don’t know how he got down there. We tried so many times to rescue him, but he would run away and hide.’’

The elusive feline grew up to become something of an underground celebrity. In recent months, passengers have written about Kenmore sightings on UniversalHub.com. Just a few weeks ago, Shaula Clark of the Boston Phoenix snapped a photo of the cat lounging across the thick yellow line on the subway platform. The picture was published under the headline “Kenmore cat can’t be caught.’’

For five months, MBTA employees brought food and bottled water to Kenmore, and worried about his safety.

“It was so hard watching him dodging trolleys. He was the same color as the rocks,’’ said Ingraham. “I knew this cat was in danger.’’

Ingraham, who has a 9-year-old cat at home, said she spent one of her days off trying to catch Kenmore, to no avail. She gave a pet carrier to another MBTA employee, who captured the cat Thursday.

“He’s never been outside the subway,’’ said Ingraham, who marveled that Kenmore survived in the subway station for so long. “I believe he’s surrounded by guardian angels.

“He’s safe now. He’s going to be well taken care of.’’

RICHARD
12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Great story-just have to find out what she named the little bugger.:D

blue
12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Thats a great story, thanks for sharing it.

moosmom
12-08-2009, 07:07 AM
I just love happy endings!!! Have a wonderful home Kenmore!!!

catmandu
12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
:love::love::love:
And just in time for PetMas Kenmore has his Furrever Home where it certainly be a lot safer and quiter than a train yard.:love::love::love:
Bless that Lady for doing this, and we know that Kenmore will repay her over many many times over in love and friendship.
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Anikaca77
12-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Wonderful ending for that sweet kitty.

Melissa

katladyd
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
What a happy story! Just right for the holidays. Kenmore and his new meowmie both got the best Christmas presents ever!

columbine
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Follow-up article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/12/kenmore_the_cat.html?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed1)

"I think he thinks this is heaven."

Love, Columbine

phesina
12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh, how wonderful and sweet! Thank you for posting this lovely story.

Killearn Kitties
12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Nice to hear a follow-up on the story and know that Kenmore is settling in well. :love: I'm sure he will have a good Christmas.

RICHARD
12-11-2009, 12:27 PM
LOL,

Good for him, of course, he had to lose some "self esteem" in the process of getting a new home!:eek:

I thought there would be a name change, when I think Kenmore, I think of the Sears appliance line!:eek::o:rolleyes:

Karen
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
LOL,

Good for him, of course, he had to lose some "self esteem" in the process of getting a new home!:eek:

I thought there would be a name change, when I think Kenmore, I think of the Sears appliance line!:eek::o:rolleyes:

When we Boston-area folks think Kenmore, we think of the train station, the square in which it is located and of course, "That's the T-station for Fenway Park!" There used to be a huge Sears outlet nearby, but it was one stop further along the "D" line - which ironically is the "Fenway" stop - but that one is closer to the actual fens (swamp) than to the ballpark.

Catty1
12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/12/kenmore_the_cat.html

Kenmore the cat settles into new home
December 11, 2009 09:30 AM

Leah Rodriguez

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/MetroPhotos12/09/rescued_cat_120909.jpg
Kenmore the cat before he was rescued. Now, his new owner says, he thinks he's in heaven.

By Emily Sweeney, Globe Staff

Kenmore the cat is settling into his new digs in Roslindale.

After living in the MBTA's Kenmore Station for months, the striped stray tabby was rescued by T employee Michael Dionne last week.

Kenmore has since been adopted by T trolley operator Karen Ingraham.

Kenmore recently went for a check-up at Animed Pet Hospital in Dedham, where he got neutered, received his vaccinations, and got his nails clipped and groomed.

"He just had some fleas. Other than that, he's OK," said Ingraham.

Now he's just making himself at home. Ingraham says Kenmore seems to be getting along well with her 9-year-old cat, Lucky.

"They're going to be brothers," said Ingraham. "They're doing a little hissing -- Kenmore hissed at Lucky first. And Lucky ran away. But Lucky keeps coming back. They're smelling each other. They've got to get familiar with each other's scent."

So far, so good. Ingraham is on vacation right now, and plans to spend her days off with Kenmore and Lucky, making sure they get used to each other before she returns to work.

"He's doing fine," she said. "He's eating. He's sleeping. He likes being rubbed behind his head. And he is fascinated by the TV."

"It's warm here. This is much better than a smelly subway. I think he thinks this is heaven," she said.