PDA

View Full Version : we had our car clamped grr.....

carole
12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
On saturday hubby drove into town , I was with him, to pick up some things at the pharmacy, he had been sick all week, with a bad virus and sore throat,should have gone to the doctor but he was too stubborn and said it will come right.

As we were driving along Hubby became ill, feeling faint, so i said quick pull into that side street,yes we saw the clamping signs,but hey it was an emergency of sorts, i said i will go and get you a drink of water, maybe you are just de-hydrated,so i proceeded to walk quite a distance down to the supermarket , i could not walk fast as my hip is bad at the moment and I have to walk slow.

I get a text from him saying i will come and get you.

I am puzzled by this time and thinking oh well he must be feeling better enough to do that.

On arriving i am peeved off to say the least that he tells me he was sitting resting in the car when he got clamped, he did not even hear the guy, i reckon he was just waiting to pounce, so $80 bucks later,might not seem a lot to some , but it is a fortune to us.

I am just hopping mad, i mean he was in the car, he said to the guy look i can move on, I am just resting briefly as i am sick, sorry he said cannot do that, you will have to write in.

I have done that, but of course i don't think i will get any response and certainly not a refund.

These are private parks which are not used in the weekend, and normally we would not do that, it was just special circumstances.

The people who dish out the fines, are not governed by any rules regulations to my knowledge, however i honestly am wondering if they can do that while you are in the car, my Dad's lawyer does not think so either, and is really anxious to write them a letter, he would derive great pleasure out of doing so, as he loathes them as much as everyone else does.

We have had ongoing problems here with a private establishment called Wilsons Parking, but this is a different firm.

Well i don't hold out any hope for a refund,but just had to vent my annoyance. Thanks for listening.

pomtzu
12-07-2009, 04:10 PM
What is "clamped" and "clamping signs"..???????

Not something I'm familiar with here in the U.S.

jennielynn1970
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
What is "clamped" and "clamping signs"..???????

Not something I'm familiar with here in the U.S.

Sounds like how we get "booted" in the city. The nice big yellow/orange boot that they put around the tire so you can't drive off. We get that when we don't pay our parking tickets on time. Not good!!

I can't believe he'd put a boot on a car when someone was in it and offered to drive away?! That's just nervy of them, I feel. Greed. Some places and people will do anything to get money out of others.

pomtzu
12-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds like how we get "booted" in the city. The nice big yellow/orange boot that they put around the tire so you can't drive off. We get that when we don't pay our parking tickets on time. Not good!!

I can't believe he'd put a boot on a car when someone was in it and offered to drive away?! That's just nervy of them, I feel. Greed. Some places and people will do anything to get money out of others.

I thought maybe it was a boot too, but with someone in the car??? :eek: I never heard of that. I guess Carole can further clarify.

lizbud
12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
I would think the cop should tell him to move the car, if hubby
refused to move it, only then woud he be ticketed & fined. (In Indpls)

RICHARD
12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
It's called the Denver Boot. Check it out.

carole
12-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Oh sorry guys i just assumed it was called the same over there,you live and learn lol, i guess it is similar,yes they clamp your tyre and you can only drive away when you pay your fine and they unlock it.

Sure is easy money for them alright, only cost 40 for a parking fine, it is private property, i know we were in the wrong place,but for goodness sake hubby was in the car, i need to check it out, i think if you are in the car and can drive away they should not be able to do that, but i also think there are no laws here saying they can't.

I bet i never even get a reply from these people,but i am not going to leave it there, i may well contact the lawyer yet,or maybe i will just have to let it go and not stress about it,but it irks me,that 80 bucks was so needed right now, i have my girls over due for vaccination and it would have paid for that,still do not worry the girls are booked in this weekend regardless, the overdraft just will have to get bigger.

jennielynn1970
12-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I'd be ticked off, and if you have any recourse so that you can get your money back, I'd do it. They should not have been able to boot your car when someone is in it and able to move the car (and offered to do so).

Cinder & Smoke
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
It's called the Denver Boot.
Check it out.

Denver Boot >>>

http://www.denverboot.com/

Step-by-Step >>>

http://www.denverboot.com/install.htm

:D

carole
12-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Yes well i agree with you and i think there is some cause for discretion here anyhow considering the circumstances, but i guess people make up anything,however in our case it was genuine, but that is not the point, i think the point is he was in the car and able to move it, but i think i will find they are a law unto themselves and there is not much we can do but to rely on them having a heart and offering us a refund as a gesture of goodwill, which is basically what i asked them to do, i really don't have that kind of money to throw away, and basically that is what we are doing, might as well have burned it,that is like five hours of my husband's hard working time, for all of two seconds of their's.