PDA

View Full Version : My mum broke her arm today.....

carole
12-07-2009, 03:39 AM
My poor mother had a fall, she often looses her balance a little and has had a few falls over the years always resulting in a break, she has osteo,we were all pretty certain it was another break, she has broken her wrist and had a break in the back before,now this,despite being on fosomax.

So i spent most of the day at the accident and emergency,who took the xray and confirmed it then sent us up to the hospital for further assessment,we had a four hour wait up there, all the time my brave mum just had a couple of panadol to help ease the pain, she has such a high tolerance level when it comes to pain, she amazes me.

After finally being seen,she was put in this foam kinda of sling a very basic thing that you cannot imagine could do much good, forget the name of it, and then was to get a plaster put on, but she had the choice and decided to stick with sling,she can opt for the plaster in a few days if she finds the sling not helpful, she will take about three months to heal.

So i will be spending quite some time at her house making sure she does not do too much, she may be able to get a little home help a few hours a week through ACC ,my Dad is self-employed and pays through the nose for ACC so I think they are entitled to something.

It was my Dad's 78th birthday today too,not the best way to spend it,never mind at least he was not the one in pain and we were all together, however we did have a lovely lunch in the cafe there,despite it being a somewhat late one, we all enjoyed it.

She will be seen again next Tuesday and from time to time to check on the progress.

Just goes to show you never know what your day is going to bring you, sometimes it is good ,sometimes it is bad.

Mum will probably have a pretty uncomfortable night tonight, she has to sleep sitting up for about three days, and not rest her arm on a pillow,they want as little movement in that area as possible, i think it is the Humerus bone that is fractured.

moosmom
12-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Oh Carole, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I've noticed lately that my ankles and knees "give out" on me if I walk to fast (don't even THINK about running). It's all in the aging process, unfortunately.

Please don't forget to take care of YOURSELF too!!! You won't be much help if you're sick.

:love::love: and hugs,

Donna

Alysser
12-07-2009, 06:01 AM
I am so sorry to hear that, I feel so bad. I hope your mom heals up and get better soon. Breaks aren't the worst, but they sure are annoying.

carole
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I rang her this morning ,she did not sleep well, but then she normally doesn't anyhow, on meds that keep her awake and it just runs in the family,not good sleepers, me included, she seems happy enough to potter around on her own, so i have told anytime you want some help just ring please.

My mum is quite a frail small lady, but she is as strong as an ox in some ways,I just remembered she has broken her ribs twice as well, so yes they are not the worst in the world,but when you keep doing it, it is no fun at all for her,I am thankful as she is, that it is not her hip,not much left to break now is there?

Just gonna take a long time to heal ,and it is more of a nuisance to her than anything,thanks for the kind words,much appreciated.

caseysmom
12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your Mother, I hope she isn't in too much pain.

carole
12-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for your concern, she is doing rather well considering, she is just taking panadol every four hourly to keep it at bay if needed, which is like your tyenol i think, a over counter pain reliever for headaches, aches and pains etc.
I have told her to keep taking it,not leave it until the pain gets bad, so hope she listens, she hates taking anything really.

davidpizzica
12-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Sis, Pittsburgh prayers and thoughts are coming to your mother, and to you so that you'll be able to help her to ease her pain and get better.