PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Bug - decision made - upd #41

Scooter's Mom
12-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Scooter Bug is in perfect health... he's just gotten very thin as he's aged. I know 14 isn't "old" but he's certainly showing his senior status. Please pray that he starts to put on weight again... and if you have suggestions please share them. I am so not ready to lose my :love: kitty anytime in the near future.

I know having the other two kitties has stressed him out. I don't think getting rid of Charlie & Jingle will solve anything except breaking my heart even further and putting 2 more kitties out on the "street".

Please pray for my sweet boy.

Pinot's Mom
12-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Prayers coming for that sweet Tabby! :love:

My only suggestions are the obvious....vet visit to rule out things like thyroid, if he's eating with everyone else make sure he's getting his share (and if not, separate him to make sure he does), alter his food to something geared at putting on weight...

Let us know how things go!

Freedom
12-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Prayers for Scooter from all of us here in RI!

Have his blood work done at the vet. For the thyroid test, make sure they test FREE T4 and T3. His T4 reading could be normal, while the Free T4 will show that his thyroid is working like crazy to keep that T4 in the normal range.

Or phone and ask what blood test they did for the thyroid, last time it was done. If was more than a year ago, do it again.

I've have just this year learned that my vet only checks T4. That is why each of my 4 cats who developed over active thyroid were too far along to respond to the meds! I was NOT pleased to learn this.

Oh, at my vet, the Free T4 and T3 test costs $90, so be prepared. :rolleyes:

catmandu
12-03-2009, 07:56 AM
If Scooter Bug will eat human food , try him on some Tuna Fish or table scraps.
Or Pinots Moms suggested , feed him spertaley as I know that some Found Cats will not eat if there are other Cats around the plate.
And maybe try some Kitten Food until Your Scooter Bugs back to normal weight.
We are praying for Our Friend Scooter Bug to get his appetite back and not worry his Meeowmie!
:love::love::love:

jennielynn1970
12-03-2009, 08:20 AM
My HoneyBun was really really thin, and I think a lot of it had to do with his teeth. While the tooth issue hasn't resolved, I did start buying a new food. I'm getting FROMM's Salmon and Veg for the kitties, and it comes in really small kibble pieces, like, the size of a pencil eraser, if that big. I think he's having an easier time eating, and he's definitely gained some weight.

Not sure if Scooter Bug has any mouth issues, but you may want to check that out. Even if he doesn't, my guys LOVE the FROMM food, and have even stopped throwing up like they used to with most other foods. I'm very happily surprised with that, as I have 3 with sensitive digestive systems and they'd throw up from almost everything.

Sending prayers Scooter's way that all will be well and he'll gain some weight!
Hugs to you too!

Taz_Zoee
12-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I remember this happening to Taz. I worked years to get him to lose weight, then suddenly I was working to get him to gain weight.
Is Scooter eating good? My vet said to give Taz anything he'll eat. "Kitty junk food" as she called it. I began giving him canned food, which he never had before because I didn't like it. LOL Although Taz never really gained any weight due to his kidney failure, I hope you can get Scooter checked out to make sure there isn't a "hidden" illness. And I hope he will begin to gain weight. Hey, don't we all gain a little weight over the holidays? Maybe Scooter can too! :)

Scooter's Mom
12-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Most of you know I have been off work a good portion of the year due to my own health... I don't have ANY funds available for more vet bills. Right now our income is about 2/3 of our bills per month, so we're struggling... and at the end of this month it looks like my job will not bring me back (after my leave is up) since my dr. did not release me.

His teeth are beautiful... all his blood work was done over the summer. I'm just praying at the moment. It's all I can do.

Freedom
12-03-2009, 12:12 PM
His teeth are beautiful... all his blood work was done over the summer.

Do phone and ask what tests they did, or go in and pick up a copy so you can refer to it.

Tuna, salmon, anything which will get him eating is a good idea. Watch if he is peeing a lot.

My Sparkle is aging by losing weight. She was 18 pounds most of her life; like Cindy / Taz Zoee, I spent ages trying to get her weight down! Now, she is barely holding it at 10 pounds. She eats 5 times per day, but only little nibbles. Like your Scooter, her teeth are fine and all her blood work.

Pets! HE HE HEeeee

cassiesmom
12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Prayers for Scooter Bug!

Medusa
12-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Prayers are going up for Scooter Bug right now. Sometimes, though, cats just get thin as they get older. Try not to worry too much about it but if he continues to lose weight, you'll find the necessary funds somewhere to get the testing done. We always do. :love:

Anikaca77
12-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Prayers are going up for Scooter Bug right now. Sometimes, though, cats just get thin as they get older. Try not to worry too much about it but if he continues to lose weight, you'll find the necessary funds somewhere to get the testing done. We always do. :love:

I agree, also if you need funds and are not working check United Animal Nations, they helped my mom out. Usually they only do emergencies but you never know.

Take care,
Melissa

katladyd
12-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I, too, have an older cat that is losing weight. My income is being stretched very thin right now, so vet visits are not possible. Mac is eating well and getting his share (he's Alpha Cat in my house) and playing and causing mischief as much as ever. Soooo, I've decided to give him bigger portions and allow him some snacks. He looks and acts healthy, but I know from experience, some older cats just lose weight. I think Scooter Bug will be okay until you can get him to the vet. I now check Mac's water intake and it hasn't increased at all. He doesn't eat any differently than he ever did, so I'm thinking it's just age. I can live with that. He's only about 13, but I guess that can be considered a senior cat.

krazyaboutkatz
12-05-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear that he's losing weight and I sure hope it's just due to him aging and nothing else. My Storm will be 14 in Jan. and if he doesn't eat well then he will also lose weight very quickly. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Maybe you could try feeding him some kitten food which would have more calories in it for him and see if this will help him put some weight on.

Scooter's Mom
12-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Scooter Bug went to the vet tonight. He got a full blood panel done as well as having a urine sample taken. He was a little dehydrated so he got some subcutaneous fluids. His teeth looked great, his gums were pink and looked good. Temp was a teeny bit low, but nothing to worry about they said (it was within normal range). He weighed 6.5 lbs.

I'm so scared about these test results... please pray they come out okay and this is just a "bug" my sweet boy will get over.

Medusa
12-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Prayers are going up for good test results. Keep the faythe. :love:

Pinot's Mom
12-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Prayers for good results from MD! Come on Scooter; you can get over this!:love:

columbine
12-09-2009, 09:14 AM
When I'm eating chicken or turkey, I pull off the fatty bits and warm them up in the microwave, since fat is better for cats than it is for humans... The smell always brings Smudge running! I think he also recognizes the words "chicken" and "turkey."

Love, Columbine

Anikaca77
12-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Prays coming for Scooter!

Melissa

Scooter's Mom
12-09-2009, 05:13 PM
The vet says most of Scooter Bugs blood work is normal. The only thing that is "slightly" high has to do with his liver. Vet says this could be b/c of an infection (which we are going to treat with antibiotics) or something worse, such as fatty liver disease or a possible tumor. I will have all of the test results in-hand tomorrow so I can ask everyone questions... I just want to know the best decision to make regarding my sweet kitty.

Vet says one of the possibilities that comes into play is Cancer. I am not ready to think about that option... so pray the antibiotics make my baby boy well.

Medusa
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
More prayers headed your way for Scooter and you. Keep the faythe. :love:

phesina
12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Prayers for Scooter, and a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9736341

Hugs and purrs from Pat and cats

Freedom
12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Hmmm, 6.5 pounds is low for Scooter.

I don't think an infection would cause him to lose weight like this.

Hang in there!

krazyaboutkatz
12-10-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( I'm dealing with my Sunny's cancer diagnosis right now so I know how scary this can be.:( I hope that he'll be able to be diagnosed and that it's something that's easily treatable. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care.

Scooter's Mom
12-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Scooter seems to have a little more energy, but not much. He's eating some now too. I am praying these anti-biotics do the trick and he's not seriously ill... I can't afford the ultrasound or anything ... and I hate that my finances have put me in the place of having to say no to the tests he should have to rule out a tumor in his liver or something like that.

Thanks for all the kind words. All I can ask is that ya'll keep lighting candles and saying prayers for my sweetest boy.

phesina
12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I just lit another candle for Scooter Bug. Love and good wishes and healing energies for him (and you too). Here's hoping that what is ailing him will be cured by the antibiotics.

cassiesmom
12-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Prayers and a candle for Scooter Bug.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9768709

Scooter's Mom
12-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all who have said prayers, lit candles and sent happy thoughts.

Scooter Bug continues to "be". He eats a little, drinks a little... doesn't seem uncomfortable. his eyes are still crystal clear...

I do not know how much time he has, but I am going to make him as happy and comfortable as I can...

I keep telling him I love him more than all the stars in the sky... but that's an understatement of how much I love him.

cassiesmom
12-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh, Scooter Bug ... please get better for your meowmie, please please ... (((( hugs ))))

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9815215

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all who have said prayers, lit candles and sent happy thoughts.

Scooter Bug continues to "be". He eats a little, drinks a little... doesn't seem uncomfortable. his eyes are still crystal clear...

I do not know how much time he has, but I am going to make him as happy and comfortable as I can...

I keep telling him I love him more than all the stars in the sky... but that's an understatement of how much I love him.

I'm sure that he knows how much you love him. I hope he'll recover from whatever it is he has and start feeling better soon. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Scooter's Mom
12-22-2009, 03:32 AM
I hope it's a good sign... I got him to eat some. I had hubby pick up some plain old Purina Cat Chow on his way home from work Monday. (I asked for Purina One, but he got Cat Chow which may be beneficial.) I put out a small handful and Scooter ATE it all! A little later I put out another little handful and he ate it too!

Anikaca77
12-22-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm so glad Scooter Bug is eating some.

My prays are coming your way.

Melissa

Scooter's Mom
01-04-2010, 09:23 AM
The vet says most of Scooter Bugs blood work is normal. The only thing that is "slightly" high has to do with his liver. Vet says this could be b/c of an infection (which we are going to treat with antibiotics) or something worse, such as fatty liver disease or a possible tumor. I will have all of the test results in-hand tomorrow so I can ask everyone questions... I just want to know the best decision to make regarding my sweet kitty.

Vet says one of the possibilities that comes into play is Cancer. I am not ready to think about that option... so pray the antibiotics make my baby boy well.

My heart is breaking. Scooter is still so very weak and appears to be thinner. The round of antibiotics didn't help. He is still so happy though, and the instant he gets snuggled up to me he starts purring. My eyes are nearly swollen shut from crying. I can't bear the thought of not snuggling with my baby.

I am so afraid it's almost time to make the decision and let him go.

Taz_Zoee
01-04-2010, 09:48 AM
LES :( Your Scooter Bug reminds me so much of my Taz. I just posted in his memorial thread yesterday since its been 6 months now that I let him go. Yet I feel your pain like it was just yesterday I said goodbye.
I am so sorry. I do not like hearing how so many of us have had to go through this here lately. I relive it with each and every person all over again.

Hugs to you Crystal and hugs to Scooter too.

Medusa
01-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I sure hope this isn't the case, Crystal, but if so, you'll get through it somehow and w/lots of help and love from PTers, that's for sure. Having just been through it myself last week, the pain is still fresh for me, so I know how raw it is for you right now. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Oh my- I am so sorry about Scooter. We lost our Tigris to cancer of the liver and the peritoneum in September- it all went very fast.
I hope that whatever it is he may be a happy snuggling kitty for some time to come.

columbine
01-04-2010, 12:42 PM
I wonder whether Scooter Bug might find kitten food tempting?

Love, Columbine

Scooter's Mom
01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I wonder whether Scooter Bug might find kitten food tempting?

Love, Columbine

He doesn't even find canned tuna tempting these days.

I am just worried that he's going to start showing signs of suffering (hurting, etc) and I won't have money to take him to the vet. I'll go days without eating if I have to, but he will have to come first.

Freedom
01-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Still thinking of you and Scooter.

slick
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm so very sorry. :(:(

jennielynn1970
01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out for you and dear Scooter Bug.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Scooter's Mom
01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
He is more and more frail as the day goes on. He's having trouble walking now.

I talked to my vet's office... it's $65 to have him pts... and an additional $180 for cremation & return to me. If I don't have his ashes returned to me, it's only $75.00 for cremation. But he's my heart kitty... I'll do what I have to... but, I have always said his ashes would be buried with me. I love him so much.

I just don't have the money... hubby is going to call his mom (who is NOT a pet-lover at all) and see if she will pay for it. Please, pray that she will help. I can't let him suffer.

I just have to decide when to make his appointment if she says she'll help.

cassiesmom
01-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Prayers for Scooter Bug and Scooter's Mom.

((((HUGS)))))

And a candle:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=pet%20t

Prairie Purrs
01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm so sorry that Scooter is failing. I'm keeping you and your sweet boy in my thoughts.

Catty1
01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Prayers for Scooter...your dear dear boy. Please PM me your paypal addy if you have one, or the vet clinic.

{{{hugs}}} I am SO sorry this is happening. Love that sweet boy, and give him some cuddles and tummy rubs for me. :love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
01-04-2010, 07:25 PM
More LES here. :( I am so sorry.

phesina
01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh, I am so sorry. LES here too. Dear, sweet, beloved, cherished Scooter.

If your mother-in-law won't help, I will see if I can chip in something too towards the cremation so you can have his ashes.

Hugs to you, gentle pets to Scooter.

Catty1
01-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I guess...a second opinion won't help? I mean...is he sick with anything in particular, or just worn out at a fairly early age?:(

Pinot's Mom
01-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm so sorry for you and your poor baby.:(

Scooter's Mom
01-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I guess...a second opinion won't help? I mean...is he sick with anything in particular, or just worn out at a fairly early age?:(

When we tested everything early December, his liver results were bad. At that point, they said hopefully ScooterBug would respond to the antibiotics but they feared it was much worse... either a tumor, fatty liver disease, or cancer. I just didn't have the funds for an ultrasound.

He's so skinny and has such a hard time walking around. He comes to me and just taps me for me to pick him up. I can see the ridges of his spine and hip bones. He's just wasting away.

I've spent today in tears. Hubby is on the phone now with his folks.

Moesha
01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
I will find a way to contribute also. I am so very sorry to read this sad news.

Catty1
01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Crystal, I am so sorry. Scooter has been well loved by you - you are his heart human. :love::love::love:

kitten645
01-04-2010, 08:22 PM
LES :( I am so so sorry. I was COMPLETELY in the same place less than a week ago. I wouldn't want that hurt on anyone. The ER wouldn't take payments so I couldn't get Hoobbes' ashes. I do hope your MIL can help. There is NOTHING worse than seeing them suffer. :( Gentle hugs to you. I know exactly how you feel. :love::love:
Claudia

Medusa
01-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh I'm so sorry. It's still fresh for me so I know exactly how painful it is for you right now. Prayers are going up right now that you will have some peace and that your MIL will help w/the vet bill. :love:

Scooter's Mom
01-04-2010, 08:52 PM
in-laws aren't very sympathetic b/c they're not real animal people... to them animals serve a purpose (hunting, etc) and aren't companions.

will keep ya'll updated when i make the appointment. hoping to wait til friday evening at the earliest.

krazyaboutkatz
01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are going out to both you and Scooter. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Catty1
01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Where can we send a bit of $ ? Do you have PayPal?

Barbara
01-05-2010, 04:14 AM
I am sure you will know at what time Scooter Bug wants to go.
On his last morning Tigris told me clearly:(
{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

moosmom
01-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Crystal,

I know what you're going through. I'm still paying off a $900 vet bill from a combo of Maya Linn's URI and Mollie Rose's cremation. I'm very fortunate that my vet takes payments. Not alot, but whatever I can come up with every month. That's why he has such a great practice. He cares about his patients and their owners. I wish more vets were like him.

Anikaca77
01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Scotter Bug. My prays.

Melissa

catmandu
01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I know what you are going through.We are blessed to have an independant Vet Dr Peter Marsales who knocked 400 dollars off off Michjaels Vet Bill, as hes not beholden to a Clinic.
Even so it was 700 dollars to give Mr Purr another chance at 18.
We know that Our Awesome Angels Army is with You and Scooter Bug, and are comforting thier Friends.
Its the hardest thing to see Our Companions get older and frailer and know that its Natures Way and that there is nothing we can do.
:(
Prayers for Scooter Bug and His Family in thesesad days to come.:love::love::love:

Randi
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm so sorry to read this latest news about Scooter. :( I wish I could help, but I'm struggling myself. Perhaps you can make a plan with your vet and pay over 3-6 months.

Sending lots of comforting thoughts and hope Scooter is not in pain. Give him all the cuddles you can! :love:

(((hugs)))

jennielynn1970
01-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Will they not do a payment plan with you? I can't imagine a vet office being heartless when they know how much he means to you.

If they do nothing to help you, I'll send you something to help out. Just let me know, ok??

Hugs to you, and to dear Scooter Bug.

slick
01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Can you at least provide us with the name, address and phone number of your vet so that those of us who want to donate can??? I know many vets who will take payments by CC over the phone.

Still thinking about you. :love:

Scooter's Mom
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Can you at least provide us with the name, address and phone number of your vet so that those of us who want to donate can??? I know many vets who will take payments by CC over the phone.

Still thinking about you. :love:

As soon as I make his appointment I will get the info and post it here, if the vets office will do that.

I had to medicate myself and get some sleep; I wasn't doing anyone any good crying all the time. I'm still a bit fuzzy from my medication...

But, I snuggled with my ScooterBug while i slept and that is wonderful.

Medusa
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I was waiting to see what today's vet visit would cost seeing that I spent a small fortune last month but my vet didn't charge me anything today so, if your in-laws won't help out, I'll contribute something as well. Keep us posted and perhaps send a bulk PM w/your address and/or Paypal account (I closed mine) to those of us who have offered to help.

Glad that you were able to get a little rest and snuggle w/Scooterbug. That in itself is healing. :love:

Anikaca77
01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
My prays are being sent your way.

Melissa