PDA

View Full Version : I'm playing grandma...

moosmom
12-01-2009, 09:58 AM
My friend Stephanie, who recently had a baby boy, Brady, got stuck yesterday because Brady was really sick at day care. She's from Michigan and has no family here. I met her when I worked for the Hartford Courant. We became fast friends. She called me (I told her anytime she needed me to please call) and said she had to pick Brady up and would I mind coming and staying with him so she could work from home on a really big story (She works for Associated Press as a Journalist). I stopped and got some nacho chips and salsa and while she plugged away, me and Brady hung out.

I offered to stay overnight and get up with him (he is very congested and just plain feeling yucky) during the night so she could get some rest. She was practically in tears and said she hasn't had a solid night's sleep in 5 months. I slept in her bed (Brady's crib is in there) while my "Hello Kitty" humidifier (surprised??) put some moisture in the air so he could breath.

She slept on the couch and I was up and down with "B" throughout the night. It brought back a lot of memories of me with Amy when she was his age. It truly amazes me.

We got up at 5:30 a.m. (Steph was in the shower) I changed him and gave him his bottle. She came out and said she felt so rejuvenated! Good thing too, cuz the AP "suits" from Boston were coming in and she had to be on her toes.

There's another breaking story about the Archdiocese releasing records around 3 pm this afternoon. Having worked as a staff writer, I know how the newspaper business works. She asked me if I would mind staying later than 5 pm ("B" is still snotty and congested) because of this breaking news and I said sure.

I adore Brady. He's a good, happy baby with a great personality. It's probably the closest I'll get to being a "grandma" to an infant.

I'm sure I'll have no trouble sleeping tonight!!!:D

pomtzu
12-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Ahhhh - the joys of being Grammy.

One of the perks to this is:

You get to send them back to their Mom and Dad! :D

And yes - I dearly love my grandkids. I have also paid my dues with my own kids and now deserve a rest. Kudos to all the grandparents raising their grandkids for whatever reason. :)

Catty1
12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Aww, how wonderful of you! And it sounds like it makes a WORLD of difference for Stephanie!

Hope little Brady feels better soon! Does his mom use the good old Vicks rub on the chest? (vapours will help the wittle nose too!)

moosmom
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Nope, no Vicks. That stuff is nasty! My mom used it so much I actually get nauseous when I smell it.

He gets baby Tylenol every 4 hours. And he gets a nasal aspirator bulb, which he LOATHES, up his nose to clear the snot.

I miss my cats!!!:(:(

gini
12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Donna, how special of you to help your friend out like that! I can just imagine how much she appreciated it.

Asiel
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
What a kind gesture on your part, I'm sure your friend will always remember it. It does bring back memories of not so long ago, glad all the wee ones are grown now.

moosmom
12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
He's staying home another day tomorrow and I'll be here talking baby talk all day. Googoo gaga...

I AM going home to my own place to spend the night with my cats and in my own bed. Between the pet sitting job at my cousin's over Thanksgiving and watching Brady from Sunday through today, I've had about 12 hours of quality time with them. I need my cats!!!

Laura's Babies
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
GREAT FOR YOU!! So many Mom's need a good night of rest and don't get them.. Just ONE night every now and them would be SO appreciated!

LOL! When my firstborn (Eddie) was 6 weeks old, his Dad finally agreed to get up with him and let me sleep... I had been begging for weeks.. Wouldn't you know it, that was the one night, first time, that Eddie slept all night long!:rolleyes:

sirrahbed
12-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Good for you Donna! Bet this has given Steph a new lease on life!!:D

Cataholic
12-02-2009, 10:57 AM
A full or decent nights sleep can make all the difference in the world that first year.