PDA

View Full Version : Sobering statistic

pomtzu
12-01-2009, 06:50 AM
I read this today on my Page-A-Day dog desk calendar.........

"A comparison of human and pet population growth rates in the U.S. results in sobering statistics. The human birth rate is 10,000 per day; however, 2,917 puppies and kittens are born every hour. Thus, for there to be no homeless pets, every person in the country would have to adopt at least seven puppies or kittens."

That's sad, as well as preventable - if only people would spay or neuter their pets. :(

Medusa
12-01-2009, 07:17 AM
It is a sobering thought. I get on my soap box about altering pets but it's never done much good.

Laura's Babies
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
It never does any good Medusa. There are people that just do not care and we all know preaching to them do no good at all..

Catlady711
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Sad, sad fact of life. :(

However I've done my part, I've got my 7 kitties and all are spayed/neutered, are you guys all doing your part? lol:p

krazyaboutkatz
12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Yes, this is so sad.:( I remember a friend of mine was adopting a female kitten which still needed to be spayed. She received a free spay paper so it wouldn't cost her anything later on. Any way I remember her commenting that "If we keep spaying and neutering animals then soon there won't be any more kittens or puppies being born." I told her that there will always be plenty of them because not every one spays and neuters their pets. I think that most people still don't get it which is very sad.

Yes, all of my cats are fixed.:)

Freedom
12-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Sad, sad fact of life. :(

However I've done my part, I've got my 7 kitties and all are spayed/neutered, are you guys all doing your part? lol:p

Yes! I've got 14 - 7 for me and 7 for Dad. :D

I have been in more than one "discussion" with a new puppy owner or a cat owner about spay / neuter. Some of them are rather . . . dense! Single minded; "NO ONE not even the government is going to tell me what to do with my animals!" That sort of thing. Sigh.

Asiel
12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Not only sobering but pretty sad fact too. We can all shout from the top of the house about neutering and spaying but no one seems to hear, or rather they don't care. To some a litter means dollars and they just are not going to give that up because their dog or cat is always "special" and they have a "special" reason to breed.
I know our shelters are full out here and there are still homeless pets out there. Foster homes are all but full themselves, and we have a long cold winter coming up.

lvpets2002
12-01-2009, 12:52 PM
:( Yes it is so sad & very much a sobering thought.. And just think there are Breeders out there that promote the action to sell babies for money.. GGGRRR:mad:

pomtzu
12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
OMG - there are 4 people residing in this house. 28 cats and dogs???? However there are 2 dogs and 2 cats residing in here with us - all of which have been "fixed"! Also my outdoor resident kitty was already fixed when he took up residence here. :D

Twisterdog
12-01-2009, 10:59 PM
It is a sobering thought. I get on my soap box about altering pets but it's never done much good.

It is indeed frustrating, but it DOES do some good. I remember when in the 70's and 80's, you never heard about spaying/neutering, puppy mills, back yard breeders, etc. I didn't know anyone, including us, who altered their animals back then. In our city, there were not even vaccination requirements in the 70's, there was no animal shelter. Things have improved, and we can't give up. We have to keep preaching ... if we only motivate ONE person to alter their animal in all our years and decades of talking about it, think of all the tens of thousands of animals that will eventually save.

chocolatepuppy
12-02-2009, 05:06 AM
That's so sad.:( We have five, would have to have 14! I always preach spay and neuter to people. So many don't know how bad it is or close their eyes to it.:(

Cataholic
12-02-2009, 10:37 AM
It is indeed frustrating, but it DOES do some good. I remember when in the 70's and 80's, you never heard about spaying/neutering, puppy mills, back yard breeders, etc. I didn't know anyone, including us, who altered their animals back then. In our city, there were not even vaccination requirements in the 70's, there was no animal shelter. Things have improved, and we can't give up. We have to keep preaching ... if we only motivate ONE person to alter their animal in all our years and decades of talking about it, think of all the tens of thousands of animals that will eventually save.

As is usually the case, I could have written the above. :)

Never give up the fight, people. Never. I 'preach' it nearly several times a week...it just comes up. I work it in to convos all the time.

Not ONLY is it BYB, pet stores, etc., it is ALL breeding. And, I may take some heat for that. But, EVERY single animal willingly brought into this world furthers the overpopulation.

Until there is a home for every animal, no animals should be bred.

pomtzu
12-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Until there is a home for every animal, no animals should be bred.

Woulda - shoulda - coulda
Unfortunately that will never happen. Prohabition would stand a better chance of being reinstated, than any kind of law regarding the breeding of animals. :(

Cataholic
12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Woulda - shoulda - coulda
Unfortunately that will never happen. Prohabition would stand a better chance of being reinstated, than any kind of law regarding the breeding of animals. :(

Again, I will continue in the fight to end all breeding. I don't have much of a defeatist bone in my body. ;)

pomtzu
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Again, I will continue in the fight to end all breeding. I don't have much of a defeatist bone in my body. ;)

And I admire all those that try.