PDA

View Full Version : Vibes For Belle

sparks19
11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't know what happened but Belle has managed to hurt her front leg. I am obviously no vet but from the way she holds it it LOOKS like the pain is in the lower part of the leg or her foot. I checked for cuts but there wasn't any so she has spraigned it or something. I don't THINK it's a break but I owuldn't really know. she started limping a little bit last night. I noticed it when I put her out for the last time before bed. It was barely noticeable. Today she is noticeably more sore. She doesn't want to put her foot down when she is just standing and is limping most of the time when she walks... although every once in a while she'll take a couple steps with little to no limp.

she's on bed rest today... it's raining anyway so it will be easy to keep her still. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow first thing.

anything I can do for her in the meantime? Is there any pain meds dogs can have?

Queen of Poop
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Not sure you want to give her pain meds as if it doesn't hurt she will use it and possibly injure it further. Best bet is probably bedrest and loads of TLC.

sparks19
11-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Not sure you want to give her pain meds as if it doesn't hurt she will use it and possibly injure it further. Best bet is probably bedrest and loads of TLC.

well luckily today it's raining... so she won't even go outside or get off the couch. Rain days make it easy to keep her down and quiet. It's just a matter of keeping Beezer off her back. but he seems to know something is up cause he hasn't been messing with her at all he's just been following hannah around all day lol.

but yeah I didn't think about that aspect of it. she doesn't seem to be too uncomfortable when she is just laying there so she's probably ok to go without anything for pain until I get her to the vet tomorrow

pomtzu
11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Keep an eye on her. That's the way Sparky started out - vet thought it was a sprain or maybe arthritis - but by trial and error - he was found to have Lymes. It took a month of eliminating this and that - he had Lyme vaccine but it is only 80% effective, and then he tested false negative for Lyme's too. In the end, he got the 30 antibiotic treatment and is now back to his old self. He had everyone going on a roller coaster ride for a couple of months tho, trying to figure out just what was going on.

lvpets2002
11-30-2009, 12:12 PM
:love: Oh no poor wittle Belle.. Yes watch her & keep her comfy on the bed.. Then for sure take her to the Vet.. It could be a sticker or a ant bite.. If you have a alo-vera plant you could cut the leaf open & put that on her paw & do a wrap.. It would help some for swelling & pain..

sparks19
11-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah I'm definitely keeping an eye on her.

I still can't tell which part is sore. sometimes it does seem that it's the pad part that hurts her so maybe she does have a sticker or something that I just can't see. I don't know

her appt is 10:15 tomorrow morning. she's laying on the couch looking VERY pitiful. although now I'm wondering how much of it is an act to milk it for all it's worth as I just let her out to pee and she went running off the porch until she realized it was still raining and I yelled at her to STOP RUNNING. so she peed and came right back in and now she's laying on the couch looking at me with woeful pathetic eyes.

pomtzu
11-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah I'm definitely keeping an eye on her.

I still can't tell which part is sore. sometimes it does seem that it's the pad part that hurts her so maybe she does have a sticker or something that I just can't see. I don't know

her appt is 10:15 tomorrow morning. she's laying on the couch looking VERY pitiful. although now I'm wondering how much of it is an act to milk it for all it's worth as I just let her out to pee and she went running off the porch until she realized it was still raining and I yelled at her to STOP RUNNING. so she peed and came right back in and now she's laying on the couch looking at me with woeful pathetic eyes.

This sounds familiar! If you have time - go to Dog Behavior and read "Sparky's Saga" The part where the limping kicked in starts with post #24 if you want to skip the beginning. It was one day acting half dead,, the next day just fine, then limping, etc, and around and around and around. He was driving me, and his vet, totally crazy. Thankfully she found the problem and got him straightened out.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Poor Belle!
Don't give her any sort of medications, just wait till you see the Dr. tomorrow. :)
Get better girl!:love:

chocolatepuppy
11-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Pawsitive thoughts for Belle. I hope it's not too bad.

sparks19
11-30-2009, 05:40 PM
I figured out where the pain is.

it's the inner toe on her right foot. I just held her foot and wiggled each toe gently from the outside working my way to the inside and she was fine with each one then when I got to the inside toe she winced and pulled away.... and now that I know that I can see it when she walks that she is putting all her pressure on the outside of her foot.

cassiesmom
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Sending good thoughts for Belle !

Taz_Zoee
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Poor Belle! At least now you know where to have the vet look tomorrow. Good searching Mom!! :D
I hope she feels better soon. Maybe she sprained her toe and just needs to heal up. :)

Seravieve
11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I have a limping dog too.. Eli and Treo had a collision Thursday night and he's been limping ever since. I let them in from the backyard and they all ran in.. well he stopped in the living room and Treo ran around and spun around right into him. They yelped and Treo ran off... He's been limping since.

He takes Deramaxx daily, so I know that helps him. He only favors it while in the house. Once he's out back, it doesnt seem to bother him as much. He'll still run around and play on it a little too. Last time he developed a limp, we took him to the Vet and she didnt see any swollen areas, gave him a weeks dose of Deramaxx and he was better. Of course that was before we put him on Deramaxx for his spine. So we're waiting out the week... I think he's getting better as time goes by. But he's still my little HopAlong Woo as of today.

Eli sends his sympathies to Belle... He knows how she's feeling. Get better soon! =)

Karen
11-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Feel better soon, Belle!

sparks19
12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
We're back. GOOD NEWS. no breaks or fractures :) so it's just a nasty sprain. The doctor gave me some anti inflammatories for her (rimadyl) to help with the pain and swelling and other wise she just needs to rest it. right now she's curled up on the couch resting. But she was loving the vets lol everyone was giving her all kinds of attention.

So with some R&R she will be good as new in no time :)

*LabLoverKEB*
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Glad to hear that it is NOT a break. :)
Rimadyl is great.... just keep out of her reach, they LOVE that stuff.;)

lvpets2002
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
:love: Well Glad to Hear of the Good News.. Yup some treats & rest & loven will do the trick.. Get Well Soon Wittle Belle..

Queen of Poop
12-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Good news. Rest up sweetie pie.

cassiesmom
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Dear Belle, I hope you feel much better soon!