PDA

View Full Version : Stomatitis.. quick question!

catlover32648
11-28-2009, 11:46 PM
My cat pumpkin is going to the vet DEC 2ND.. this week coming up. She has gone to the vet several of times because of her bad stomatitis. The vet tried giving her depo shots , and they do work for about a month but the screaming and running away from the food will always come back. So the best thing to do is to remove all her teeth was what the vet recommended. So my question is .. Do cats do fine without their teeth? I know it will hurt for about 2 weeks but will she be able to eat after? The vet also say that sometimes even without teeth they can still have stomatitis but I find that very strange... ANY ANSWERS WILL HELP ALOT !! BY THE WAY She doesnt like dry food so thats a good thing , but she lovesss her wet food and shes 3 yrs old. Thanks for taking your time to read this.

mrspunkysmom
11-29-2009, 10:28 AM
You may not want to believe this and I have been ignored on this issue by the posters here, but this does work.

Sam has stomatitus. While not cured, it's not a big issue any more because I made one change. I give the critters bottled water. Nestle's is pretty good but almost any water that states that it has been purified and has minerals is good. Distilled water by the gallon also works but has no added minerals. I think the minerals give it flavor.

I do not give them tap water. The critters might think its cool, but the bacteria and chemicals in tap water irritate any current problems.

Sam was facing having major surgery after two trips to the vet inside three months. I made the change and the difference is remarkable. Someone else made that change and it worked for them too.

Good luck and I hope your kitty feels better soon whatever your decision.

katladyd
11-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I have never personally had a cat with stomatitis, but I have seen it before. I have owned a cat that needed several teeth pulled because of infections and they ate just fine! Add broth or bottled water (I agree, bottled water is the best for kitties!) to their dry and the wet they handle perfectly well without teeth. I hope this helped.

Catlady711
11-30-2009, 06:06 PM
I've seen many cats and dogs at work that have no teeth (either from age or having had them removed). Many of them still manage to eat crunchy food even once things heal up. Your kitty will have no problem figuring out how to 'gum' the food.

I hope for a quick recovery from the teeth pulling for your kitty.

Medusa
12-01-2009, 07:15 AM
You may not want to believe this and I have been ignored on this issue by the posters here, but this does work.

Sam has stomatitus. While not cured, it's not a big issue any more because I made one change. I give the critters bottled water. Nestle's is pretty good but almost any water that states that it has been purified and has minerals is good. Distilled water by the gallon also works but has no added minerals. I think the minerals give it flavor.

I do not give them tap water. The critters might think its cool, but the bacteria and chemicals in tap water irritate any current problems.

Sam was facing having major surgery after two trips to the vet inside three months. I made the change and the difference is remarkable. Someone else made that change and it worked for them too.

Good luck and I hope your kitty feels better soon whatever your decision.

Hmmm, now that's interesting. I've never had experience w/stomatitis w/any of my cats but I'll keep this in mind for future reference just in case. I put filtered water in their fountains but if I'd ever need to, I'd switch to bottled water and give it a whirl. Why not? This is what I love about PT. I learn something new more often than not.

catmandu
12-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Michael :love::love::love::love:has stomatis as well , and may have some teeth removed again.
John Hamcock had most of his teeth removed , as has JJJ3 and Princess and they eat just fine, even dry food!:cool::cool::cool:
Purina Heathful Life and Rancy Feast Dry are the best for sore Cat Mouths as the kibble is smaller!!
:love::love::love: