PDA

View Full Version : Two to the Vet today. Sigh.

Freedom
11-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Tasha and Lacey both had to see the Vet today.

Tasha. She tends to have problems expressing her anal glands. I have to make sure I give her extra fiber in her diet. So a week or 10 days ago when she started scooting, I just added more fiber. Well, the scooting continued, and licking "back there," and this morning on our walk I ended up behind her at one point and realized her very private female part was red and swollen and ouch! looking. Vet says this may well have started with her being uncomfortable due to not evacuating her anal glands, but at this point, she has a bacterial infection. Vet did manually express those glands, they were only small though, so the fiber was doing what it was supposed to.

Tasha has antibiotic pills for 2 weeks and an ointment which I have to put on that part twice per day for 2 weeks. (I don't think the system allows us to type that word? Begins with vul and ends with va.) The ointment is both a steroid and a topical antibiotic. It will soothe the area so she can stop scooting and licking, while it heals. Now, at the best of times, Tasha does NOT like to be touched. She is getting better, I work on this with her daily. Came home and prepared to apply the ointment and she discovered, "You want to touch me WHERE?!!" This is really going to be a challenge!

Lacey. Reminder of her background: Lacey was found roaming the streets of Providence, I adopted her from Animal Control and had her spayed. At the time, the vet told me she'd had many, many litters. One of her nipples has not looked "right" from day one. It was a bit longer, wider, almost "full." The vet checks on it at her physical each year, and I keep watch. In July it was the same. On Wednesday, I noticed it was larger, turned blue / purple, and had a swollen area on her belly below it.

This is why you must get females spayed prior to their first heat! Lacey has a mammary gland tumor. It is small, barely the size of a pea. She will have surgery Friday, to remove the nipple and the tumor. That's right, Lacey will have a mastectomy. It is a day procedure. About 50% of these tumors are benign; which means 50% are malignant. The lump will be biopsied.

It is going to be a long 10 to 12 days, first leading up to the surgery and then waiting on the biopsy results. Once the vet gets in there, she can see if it has "strings" projecting to the other mammary glands, or if it invades the lymph nodes. She will remove only what is necessary, so I may not know until later that day the extent of the surgery. But as we've been watching this for over 2 years, the vet is hopeful that this is still quite small and limited to the one nipple.

Lacey feels and acts fine at this point, which in a way will make it worse on me taking her in Friday morning. I can't even tell her "you will feel better." Poor gal. If all goes as planned, she comes home with an E collar and stitches. If this develops into a larger area, she 'may' come home with a dressing. Let's not go there!

chocolatepuppy
11-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Oh boy, you have your hands full! I hope Tasha heals quickly and will keep Lacey in my prayers that the tumor is benign.

pomtzu
11-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Oh my - not the greatest news in time for the holidays - but know that I'm hoping for the best outcome for Lacey and that Tasha feels better soon.

I'm going to light a candle for both of your girls right now! Hang in there and think positive.

{{{Hugs}}} to you, and nose kisses for the pups. :love:

Taz_Zoee
11-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh my, girls and their private parts. I hope Tasha is feeling better soon and that Lacey has a successful surgery on Friday.

cassiesmom
11-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Prayers and a candle for Tasha and Lacey!
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9670592

Freedom
11-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Many thanks to all of you. I was really upset Saturday, getting used to this news more, now, re Lacey.

Tasha: rather than learn that this medicine is helping her feel better, she is learning that if she struggles, she can get away and I won't be touching her "there" and putting the ointment on! Duh! At the vet, it took 3 of us: vet, tech and me. Dad is helping, but she is a handful, lol. It is getting more of a battle each time. Good news is, the bright red color is calmed down a LOT and it is just a bit flush looking now, almost it's normal pink coloring. Silly pupper, she isn't growling at us or snapping, which is great! She does grind her teeth a bit, which she does when she gets stressed. This is when we are holding her and I am trying to apply the ointment. Ah well, as long as it heals up.

Thanks for the candle, Elyse! And for all the good wishes from everyone. It does help.

cassiesmom
11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Miss Lacey, I've asked all my co-workers who are dog parents to think positive (or paws-itive?) thoughts for you on Wednesday. I am really glad mum has kept a watchful eye on that nipple and picked up right away on the color and shape changes. And Miss Tasha, please, please try to hold still while mum applies the cream ... it is to help you not have to scoot and lick the area while it is healing.

Paws and fingers crossed from me and at least 5 co-workers,
elyse

cassiesmom
12-01-2009, 10:19 PM
A candle for Lacey
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9684857

And one for Tasha
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9684865

Freedom
12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Thank you so very much!