PDA

View Full Version : Wear your seatbelts & PLEASE drive safe!

Laura's Babies
11-28-2009, 06:22 PM
There was a wreck not to far from here today on the interstate... A BAD one!
http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=11584227

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A major wreck early Saturday afternoon left five people dead and ten others in critical condition. Of the five dead, four are believed to be children, troopers on the scene said.

Louisiana State Police Trooper Russell Graham said the accident involved a mini-van and a box truck.

It appears the mini-van had a blowout, causing it to side-swipe the box truck. Both vehicles were heading westbound at the time. The mini-van flipped over and landed in the eastbound lanes.

There were 15 people inside the mini-van. Eleven of them were ejected from the vehicle, Graham said. State Police say there were two adults in the front seats and thirteen children in the back seats of the van. Only the driver of the mini-van was believed to be wearing a seatbelt.

Multiple ambulances were dispatched to the scene.
The names of the victims were not immediately released.
As of 1:30 p.m., the interstate was shutdown in both directions as crews worked to clear the scene.

The interstate has been cleared and all lanes have been reopened.
Motorists traveling in both directions were urged to exit the interstate and take Airline Highway to get around the accident site. The accident occurred between the Highway 73 Prairieville exit and Highland Road.

They do not expect 8 of the ones that survived the wreck to make it through the night. What was not told here was that a 6 month old baby was killed. The baby was strapped in a car seat but the car seat NOT strapped into the car! I got this information from a neighbor who's son is a EMT...

Another wreck just happened about 4 blocks from here and it was bad. I heard the sirenes and helicopter and knew it was bad. One person was trapped in the car, another must have been ejected and was laying in the road..

SO SAD! People, please wear your seat belts and drive safe!

Cataholic
11-28-2009, 06:50 PM
How tragic. Even more so considering the ease and availability of seat belts. I think it is criminal for a parent (or other adult) to drive a car without a properly fitted carseat for a child.

Cinder & Smoke
11-28-2009, 07:50 PM
I think it is criminal for a parent (or other adult) to drive a car without a properly fitted carseat for a child.

:(

In most states, it IS CRIMINAL to drive a vehicle with an infant, child, or
small teen not PROPERLY secured in an infant/child seat or booster seat,
WITH seatbelt PROPERLY worn.

And it doesn't have to be YOUR Kid ... friend, neighbor, stranger ...
BELT 'em in - It's da LAW!
Around the block or across the country --- BELT 'em IN!

;)

Marigold2
11-28-2009, 08:18 PM
I have been wearing a seatbelt for over 32 years. Years ago in Germany if you didn't wear a seatbelt and you were in a crash the insurance did not have to pay, great rule I think.
I cannot imagine anyone not wearing a seatbelt. It saves lives. Perhaps people will read about this tragic event and will now do the right thing. Perhaps some good will come out of this.
My husbend's niece was killed in a car accident, no seatlbelt. She was 25.

Queen of Poop
11-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Please, please always wear a seatbelt. I lost my brother and sister 23 years ago because they were NOT wearing seat belts!! My personal rule is if your belt is not done up I do not drive anywhere until it is, if you don't like it get out!

Laura's Babies
11-28-2009, 10:57 PM
My personal rule is if your belt is not done up I do not drive anywhere until it is, if you don't like it get out!

That is MY rule too rather it is in my car, a rental or someone elses car. The car don't start until EVERYONE is buckled up and believe me, I have had to stand my ground with some of the deckhands I have transported... I will just sit there until they realize I really mean it.

My God Queen of Poop, you lost your brother and sister at the same time? How in the world did you and your parents ever deal with that? I am so sorry to hear that, it is stories like that, that will drive it home.. WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS!

Grace
11-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I was once an ER nurse. I wear mine even if just backing out into the driveway!

chocolatepuppy
11-29-2009, 06:39 AM
How awful!:( How could anyone put all those children in there and not wearing seatbelts? :( I always wear mine.

Queen of Poop
11-29-2009, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=
My God Queen of Poop, you lost your brother and sister at the same time? How in the world did you and your parents ever deal with that? I am so sorry to hear that, it is stories like that, that will drive it home.. WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS![/QUOTE]

My sister died in April of 1983 and my brother died in August of 1983. Both in car accidents, both of head trauma, both were NOT wearing seat belts. My mom was able to donate my brothers heart, eyes and kidneys that saved her sanity. It is sad that one of the last memories of my sister is seeing her in the hospital and every orifice in her head oozing fluids as her brain swelled. Then of course the vision of each of them in their caskets.

If you haven't been wearing a seat belt consider all of this next time you get in, if you have an accident you're going to leave someone with memories like this, they are not pleasant.

Laura's Babies
11-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Updated video

http://www.wafb.com/global/Category.asp?C=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=89761&topVideoCatNoB=92715&topVideoCatNoC=151875&topVideoCatNoD=89780&topVideoCatNoE=89943&clipId=4339980&topVideoCatNo=15036&autoStart=true

and on the wreck closer to me, turns out it was closer than I thought..
http://www.wafb.com/global/Category.asp?C=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=89761&topVideoCatNoB=92715&topVideoCatNoC=151875&topVideoCatNoD=89780&topVideoCatNoE=89943&clipId=4340318&topVideoCatNo=15036&autoStart=true

Cataholic
11-29-2009, 08:23 AM
:(

In most states, it IS CRIMINAL to drive a vehicle with an infant, child, or
small teen not PROPERLY secured in an infant/child seat or booster seat,
WITH seatbelt PROPERLY worn.

;)

I think in Ohio it is a payout ticket....like speeding. So, it is a violation of the law, but, I am not sure it is criminal. I suppose they could write the ticket as child endangering, and that is criminal. But, the ones that I seem to recall coming across my desk (as prosecutor) seem to always be "just" a seatbelt violation.

davidpizzica
11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
ABSOLUTELY wear you seatbelts! I was saved from serious injury in an accident where I was broadsided by an idiot running a red light. If I wasn't wearing a seatbelt I wouldn't be here posting this. Also here at Concordia, we have a bus and the bus does'nt move until EVERYONE is seatbelted in.

RICHARD
11-29-2009, 08:41 AM
And make sure your wife has a golf club to help you escape the wreck?:eek:

*LabLoverKEB*
11-29-2009, 12:12 PM
What a sad, sad story.:(:mad:

Queen of Poop- oh my gosh. How awful. I can't even imagine how that affected your parents and any other family members. I'm so sorry.:(

Cinder & Smoke
11-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I think in Ohio it is a payout ticket....like speeding.
So, it is a violation of the law, but, I am not sure it is criminal.

I think it depends upon how "serious" the situation is.
If the Kiddo is *injured* as in an accident, the "just a seatbelt violation"
gets kicked up a few notches to endangering or abuse.

Or if the driver "flees & alludes" the copper with an unrestrained child aboard -
hang on - it's gonna be a bumpy ride when it's over.