PDA

View Full Version : Opposite attract??

M&M's Mommy
11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I was thinking about this as I drove to work today.. How hubby & I are so different yet we complement each other so well :).

Then I start making a list & smile at every one of them :). It's truly amazing how love works, it creates ONE union out of two completely different people, so that one person will have what the other lacks, so that in binding their lives together, they become complete!

Here are a few on our list. We do have a lot in common, but that'll be discussed in a different thread.

1) Hubby is a morning person, I'm a night person. Everyday he wants to go to bed when I'm still pretty much active & have things to do, every morning, he springs out of bed full of energy, then proceeds to drag me out of bed otherwise I'll be late for work :o

2) Hubby is an extreme on-timer. I used to always be late! After I married him, I (have no other ways but) to change!, now WE're always on time!

3) Hubby is a quiet, soft-spoken, slow paced person. I'm totally opposite. I'm loud, talkative & fast! He reminds me to slow down when I'm too fast, and be my listener when I talk , while I make our household ... lively with all my chattings lol. (Whenever he complains that I talk too much, I told him that if he'd married someone who's shy and quiet, their house would be dead quiet like a ... cemetary! LOL )

4) Hubby is super neat & clean, he likes everything organized and dust-free, and become restless when he sees clusters, while I can live happily with a little clustering & dusty stuffs . The good thing is, if he sees something he wants to clean or tidy up, he does it himself so I'm NOT complaining Well, that's why our house is pretty much always spotless! I do warn him about babies and the mess they make, so he won't be having a heart attack everytime our little girl throws something to the floor :)

5) Hubby is a planner. He likes to plan everything ahead of time and stick to it, while I'm more spontaneous & laid back. I react to and accept changes & unplanned happenings to our plans much better than he does. I helped him lots in this aspect.. Now he's just like how I wanted him to be!

Now it's your turn to think about how you & your significant other are different, yet complement each other so well, and share them with us - so that we can all be in Thanksgiving mood together :)

Karen
11-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I often tell people Paul and I being married to each other keeps the universe in balance. While we are very much alike in some ways, in others we are off the scale of normal humanity - him off one end, me off the other! ;)

M&M's Mommy
11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I often tell people Paul and I being married to each other keeps the universe in balance. While we are very much alike in some ways, in others we are off the scale of normal humanity - him off one end, me off the other! ;)

I told hubby the same thing.. that God must have had HIS reasons for putting us together :)

Catherinedana
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
My husband and I are actually very much alike and it seems to work very well for us. We understand each other without too much explanation. The only problem is that he is even more sensitive than I am, which came from the curse that my mother put on me about living with someone as sensitive as me LOL!! :eek:

My ex and I were very much opposites in personality although we shared many of the same likes and dislikes. We would have been FABULOUS friends if we hadn't gotten married. . . :rolleyes:

k9krazee
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
The first thing both of our parents said upon meeting us is that we compliment each other very well. We both have a very similar family life and background, and I think with that we both have the same values and morals. Personality wise though, I think we're complete opposites, but I like it that way. We do share a lot of hobbies and interests.

These are the main differences, I guess

- He likes to talk talk talk and will talk to anybody, and I'm more reserved around new people.
- He's LOUD and likes to be the center of attention, I'm not and I don't.
- He's more of the outgoing/spontaneous and I like to plan ahead and know what's coming.
- He's a big movie watcher, and I fall alseep during every movie I try to watch.
- He's into graphic design...I'm going to be a Funeral director...
- He gets stressed easily and I'm there to remind him not to sweat the small stuff.
- He's a spender, I'm a saver

pomtzu
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
My ex and I were opposites, which in the beginning, worked out well. However, as the years went by, we grew further and further apart, and it eventually led to the end of our marriage. We stayed together for years the sake of the kids, and then beyond too, just because it was convenient, but I wouldn't do it that way again if I could do it all over. I wasted a lot of good years because I felt obligated. We actually lived apart for about 13 years before we divorced 2 years ago.

Congrats to those of you that have opposites and are happy. My advice would be, that if somewhere down the road it ceases to work, then don't waste the rest of your life in a relationship or marriage "in name only". I did, and wish I hadn't. :(

Cookiebaker
11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Interesting thread :)

DH & I are definitely opposites....

* He is QUIET, and me, not so much ;)
* He doesn't enjoy being in a crowd of people, I love to go to get-togethers
* He is a saver, I was a spender (now I'm a saver, too)
* He's a PACKRAT :eek: I am NOT
* He's a workaholic (loves his Saturday morning to-do lists); I love to take it easy, and it gets done, when it gets done
* He's up and out of bed early, I love to sleep in
* He goes to bed early, I'll stay up 'til 11
* He doesn't listen to music, I have 300 music CD's in my collection

But, we are best of friends, hardly ever fight, very much in love, and enjoy our life together. :D

CountryWolf07
11-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Opposites attract - I agree with that, 100%!

Mike and I have in common:
- Ohio State alumni's
- We both are short
- Family background (big, close grandparents, Irish/German/Italian heritage/religion/way we were raised/love of dogs & animals
- We're from Cleveland, OH
- Sense of humor
- We both have only 3-4 close friends and we don't mind it one bit.
- We both really enjoy watching movies, especially on a Friday night.
- We both have the same ideas of what we want in our life in the future - marriage, house, location, etc.

What we don't:
- He is in Welding Engineering and I am in Art/Graphic Design
- He likes trucks, cars, anything that runs with a motor and I don't really have much interest in those. He knows everything about cars/trucks/jeeps while I don't know anything.
- He loves to TALK to ANYBODY - He can go on and on and on while I'm the quiet one and I'm very reserved when I meet new people. I don't really talk a lot and to be honest, I'm not a good talker.
- He is very last minute about everything while I like to PLAN and be on time for things/events.
- He is a workaholic, and works at least 6 days a week. Sunday is really his day off to do what he wants. Me, well I don't have a job yet, but I am more relaxed about it.
- I look at life as "It's too short, and enjoy this moment of what we have and such" and he looks at "Don't worry, we still have tomorrow" - We talk about this quite a bit.
- He is a morning person and I'm a night person.
- He's hearing and I'm deaf.
- He is more "actions" than "words" and I'm the opposite. I say how I feel, I use words, while Mike just prefers to show me how he feels or do things for me.

There may be more of what we don't have in common than what we have in common, but it hasn't stopped us from being together.. it will be 3 years in January. :)

DJFyrewolf36
11-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Well me and John have been together for 7 years and married for almost 6...we are so different yet so alike so I guess the mix works! I won't say things have been perfect but I think we have done a good job of not letting our bond be broken by cruddy situations and negative outside influences. We are great friends :D sometimes we do fail as "lovers" per se but I wouldn't trade what we have for the world.

I :love: my hubby. :D

I'll have to post some of our differences later...I have to go to work now!

sumbirdy
11-25-2009, 11:36 AM
This is a great thread and something I was just thinking about the other day. Me and John are very different.

*He's tall, I'm short
*He loves to talk, and I'm more on the quiet side
*When he gets the idea in his head to do something he just does it, while I have to give everything a bit of thought
*He works ALL the time, while I, with my part-time job, hardly work
*He's really into Football, and I don't like sports
*He likes to get out and do stuff, while I prefer to stay in

I'm crazy about him and we do have similarities, so our relationship works. I can't imagine being with anyone else.

chocolatepuppy
11-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Hubby is a thinker, I am a do-er.
He is quiet, I talk too much.
He's a night person, I'm a morning person.

But in common, and I think a lot of this is important...
We have similiar beliefs in faith, politics, family values, same moral values.
We share our love of animals. Same football team.:p

But most important I think is that we believe in each other. We started dating in May 1974, married March 1976.:love: