PDA

View Full Version : Question of the day November 24th!

kokopup
11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Do you buy off the internet? If so what type of items do you buy. Are there any items you would be reluctant to buy? Have you had any negative experiences buying this way?

I buy mostly electronics or electrical supplies. I would not buy shoes or clothing that would outwise be hard to fit. I have had only minor problems with shipping, most of my purchases have been positive.

sparks19
11-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh yes I buy A LOT online

shoes and clothes for me I don't because I can be hard to fit. but for hannah I do. I know her size and I will buy larger if I'm not sure so she will grow into it.

I also buy a TON of stuff from etsy.... all my christmas gifts so far have come from there. AMAZING handmade gifts that are so unique.

books, some electronics, and other thigns I buy online if I can't find it cheaper elsewhere (factor in shipping)

anna_66
11-24-2009, 02:56 AM
I but online often and *knock on wood* I haven't had any bad experiences.

As for things I buy:
NASCAR tickets, clothing, hats & die-cast. Perfume, CDs, etc...

I think I'd be reluctant to buy a car online.

chocolatepuppy
11-24-2009, 05:06 AM
I've bought a lot of things online.:o Mostly pet related.:D I've bought from...
Petsmart
Foster and Smith
Cafe Press (pet print t-shirts)
ebay
Avon
In the Company of Dogs
The Animal Rescue Site
various other 'cool stuff' catalogs.;)
Never really had any problems. No more than I have from buying from a store locally.

Alysser
11-24-2009, 06:02 AM
I love buying stuff online although my mom is reluctant to let me sometimes. I haven't bought something online in awhile, the last thing I bought was a T-shirt that said "got puggle?" off amazon. I am going to be buying two books off Amazon soon, because I refuse to spend $30 on a PAPERBACK in borders. :o

pomtzu
11-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I buy a lot on line. A good deal of what I have bought for Christmas this year, has been internet purchases. With free shipping or a flat rate, it's cheaper and less of a hassle than trudging around, store to store, to find what you're looking for.

Things I buy - just about anything.

Pet meds and food
Books
Clothes, Birkenstock sandals, handbags
Jewelry
Small appliances
Quilts/comforters
Electronics
Collectibles

About the only thing I stay away from is food. I once bought a Cajun turkey breast from QVC, but shipping costs really put the price up too high.

aTailOf2Kitties
11-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I've bought everything from 3 yards of ribbon to a gokart on Ebay. I also love Walmart.com because lots of items can be shipped to your local store for free. Walcks4wd.com for Willys Jeep parts, and that's about it for me.

moosmom
11-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I do every once in a while, like my business cards. But on a regular basis, nah.

Casper
11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I buy things online quite frequently. The town I live in is so small that our walmart (which is our only convenient store) doesn't always have everything I am looking for. I mainly purchase things online from Ebay, Pacsun, ThinkGeek, etc. I have never had a bad experiance so far, and it is much more conveniant than driving an hour to a larger town.

As for things I wouldn't buy online, like Anna, I wouldn't buy a car... Or a house. I am also reluctant to buy electronics unless I am buying straight from the actual company.

Taz_Zoee
11-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm not a big shopper all around so I do not buy online very often. The last thing I can remember buying online was probably Taggarts stocking last year right after we got him. Oh, I just bought tickets online for our trip to Alcatraz on Dec 5th, if that counts.

However, Bruce is a BIG online shopper. If he wants/needs anything he does his research to find the best possible price. He is a big ebay shopper/seller too. The items he buys are usually music equipment or beer brewing things.

Randi
11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
All I've bought online is flight tickets. I would never buy shoes or clothes - I want to feel the material and make sure they fit.

redbird
11-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I do not buy anything off the internet. If the site shows a phone number I could call, I would rather do that. Don't want my credit card numbers anywhere on the Net. Just don't trust it and forget Pay Pal, no way would I ever use that.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/Holidays%20Bthday%20Misc/03-1.gif

lvpets2002
11-24-2009, 04:25 PM
:) Oh yes I buy all the time.. I buy mainly off of E-Bay.. Have bought from of course Cafe Press & Collections & a few other places.. I buy all kinds of stuff from E-Bay = like Cat Stuff & stuff for me & just bought Susan Boyle's New CD..

Freedom
11-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Buying on line is "dangerous" -- to my wallet! They have made it SO easy, click here, click there, over to Paypal and DONE. Wait, did I just spend THAT MUCH?

Ebay is a big place for me. I wish I could STAY AWAY lol.
Petedge is as well.
And Amazon

I buy most of my pet supplies (not litter, the shipping makes it too expensive), gifts, pots and pans. Not clothes for me. Dad loves Haband items so his clothes get purchased on line.

Other faves:
Miles Kimball
Lillian Vernon
Walter Drake
Starcrest

That Pet Place
JB Wholesale (pets)
Jeffers Pets

Karen
11-24-2009, 06:30 PM
To those who say you wouldn't buy a car online - why not? Paul bought his car over the Internet, so he didn't have to do any negotiation in person, or get subjected to the "hard sell" for thing he didn't need. Just did everything online, got the car and color he wanted for a good price, and all he had to do was go pick it up, and sign his name!

I have bought online, books and other items. Clothes and shoes are too tricky, but for electronics, often the best prices are online.

Casper
11-24-2009, 06:36 PM
To those who say you wouldn't buy a car online - why not?

I meant that I wouldn't buy a used car off of Ebay or a similar situation if I was unable to see the car in person first. If it was from a dealership's website, that would be a different story. :) I guess I was too vague.

Karen
11-24-2009, 07:17 PM
I meant that I wouldn't buy a used car off of Ebay or a similar situation if I was unable to see the car in person first. If it was from a dealership's website, that would be a different story. :) I guess I was too vague.

I know someone who bought a car online - a vintage Mustang - and he stipulated that he be able to have a mechanic check the car and evaluate it before any money changed hands. It all worked just fine. Buying any used vehicle in any fashion, you should always have a trusted mechanic check it, anyway!

cassiesmom
11-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I've bought several books from amazon.com. Shoes from zappos.com because after I broke my ankle last year, my shoe size changed and now it's even harder to find practical shoes in stores. Clothes from womanwithin.com, especially pants. I love etsy.com! (Did anyone see the article about etsy.com in the Reader's Digest?)

K9karen
11-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I buy almost everything on line. Even food when the shipping is free, although I like browsing the aisles in person better.
If I buy clothes, I tend to use LandsEnd because I know how their clothes fit and only missized something once and returned it with no problem. I never had a problem with shoes either. I buy my aunt's clothes for use in the nursing home from cheap catalogues. We buy almost all of our computer gear and techie stuff online too. Ordering stuff on line is about as computer smart as I get!!! :D:p

Genny
11-25-2009, 01:11 AM
I've bought off ebay and amazon. I have bought cds, movies, games, one jacket, books, posters and I think that's about it. I don't like buying clothes off the internet but I couldn't find the jacket anywhere else under $100 and I got it for like $45 on ebay, so I was glad about that. Everything I've always bought has always worked *knock on wood* but yea I like buying stuff especially on ebay cause it saves lots of money sometimes ;/

Suki Wingy
11-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Yeah, quite a bit. Usually CDs and merch that's only available online. I also try and find deals on riding stuff. I bought my saddle, some show clothes, and some random supplies (halters, leads, brushes, etc.) online. I use several different sites and always check ebay first.

mruffruff
11-25-2009, 07:40 AM
I do buy some things on the net, but not a lot. I get my Simple Solution from Drs. Foster & Smith, pants from Romans or Woman Within and occasionally something from Harriet Carter.

This week I bought an electric fireplace from Home Depot; they shipped it yesterday, freight paid.:D

Sometimes it's cheaper to pay the freight than run all over looking for what you want. We have a WalMart very close, but they don't carry the pants I want for fit and style. Pet Supplies Plus doesn't carry gallon jugs of Simple Solution.

I've never had a problem with security. And I've returned a lot of stuff without a problem.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Yes, I buy things online quite a bit. Mostly books (in college I saved hundreds of dollars buying textbooks online), but also baby supplies (like diapers), and anything else they don't carry in stores or it's cheaper to get online.

Sometimes if it's something I want to see and feel first (like shoes) I will try it on in a store, then buy it online if it's cheaper.