PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree

Genny
11-22-2009, 02:43 PM
So does everyone have a Christmas Tree? We don't have one yet..we usually get one after Thanksgiving..so I was just wonderin if you guys have one yet. Do you like real trees or the artificial ones? Do you put Angels or Stars on the top of your tree? I just thought this would be fun to see what everyone does differently w/ their tree :D

Freedom
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Never put a tree up before Thanksgiving in this house!

I much prefer fresh cut. But recent years, we have used a small artificial one. It is OK, I guess. Did have one last year for the first time EVER, in my life, due to the kitchen remodeling. I did so much packing and unpacking for that, I just couldn't do any more 2 weeks later.

Real tree: I have a light up star on top. Artificial: I think it is an angel, can't remember! DUH.

Casper
11-22-2009, 03:24 PM
We have two Christmas trees, both artificial (I prefer artificial). Neither are put up yet. Like many, we never put our trees up before Thanksgiving.

Tree One: Located upstairs and decorated to mum's specifications. Each year it is decorated with an assortment of ornaments that we have collected over the years and is topped with an angel that is older than I am.

Tree Two: Located downstairs, and decorated almost solely in Star Trek ornaments. It is only a 4-footer, so it fits everything nicely. It is topped with the main insignia used on Star Trek... though, much bigger of course. :)

davidpizzica
11-22-2009, 03:25 PM
There will be a lot of decorated here at Concordia. I happened to bring my tabletop fiber optic tree with me and I'll be setting it up in our room.

pomtzu
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
We put the tree up 2 weeks before Christmas, and it comes down the first weekend after New Year's Day.

We used to do live trees with the root ball so we could plant them after Christmas. We have one now that towers over the top of the house - it's huge! We had to trim the bottom when we built the addition. We had another that was cut down by a spiteful neighbor years ago too. Those were the only 2 that survived.

Now we go the artificial route - they are so much easier, and you don't have to worry about them drying out and being a fire hazard too. We've done the pre-lit ones for quite a few years now, since stringing the lights was always such a hassle, and practically ended up in a civil war here! We bought a new pre-lit one last year with the LED lights too, so it should be around a long time.

I have an angel topper that my Mom made many years ago, and even tho I'd like a change, I can't bring myself to do it for sentimental reasons.

kitten645
11-22-2009, 03:57 PM
No trees for me! Two kitties plus I set up..ummmm...18 trees for work:eek: That's more than enough tree trimming for me! :p
Claudia

luvofallhorses
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
No Christmas tree yet. Probably sometime this week. Angel our kitten is probably going to hang from the branches. :rolleyes: Miagi and Tiger are fine with it although they knock down bulbs so we just get plastic ones.

Queen of Poop
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM
No tree for me this year, none last year either. Been a few bad Christmas'.
I hope to have all my stuff and be able to decorate my new house next Christmas.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-22-2009, 04:36 PM
We used to do live trees with the root ball so we could plant them after Christmas.
That's what my grandparents always did too. They had a whole hedge row of their past Christmas trees.

Every year we have an artificial tree. While I understand the appeal of a real tree, they honestly depress me. I know they're farmed and forests everywhere aren't being destroyed for our holiday pleasure, but I still can't buy one.

We'll put out tree up a few days after Thanksgiving. I have 2 trees, a bigger one and a smaller one. This year I'm going to put the smaller one up. For the smaller tree I have a star for the top (my larger tree has an angel).

Karen
11-22-2009, 05:00 PM
We always get a real tree, but never this early. When Miss Hoppy was alive, she considered a big chew toy, and trimmed off and ate the lower branches, so the lights only went halfway down, just in case!

Cataholic
11-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Real tree here. Angel on top. J is already asking 'when are we getting our tree'? We will probably get one the second week in December.

With 2 kittens under 6 months, well, actually, they both will be six months by then, I am DREADING IT!!! :eek:

aTailOf2Kitties
11-22-2009, 06:17 PM
we've always had an artificial tree, put up whenever I got around to it, generally the 1st or 2nd week of December. Usually a star on top, sometimes an angel, occasionally a small Santa hat. My last cat Montego never paid any attention to the tree. I think my current two aren't gonna be so cooperative, so not sure I'll put one up this year.

Grace
11-22-2009, 06:39 PM
We've been doing an artificial tree for about 10 years now. Will probably put it up next weekend.

Christmas 2001 we got it halfway up - then our newest kitten, Reese, decided she would take over. I would find her napping amongst the branches.

2002 she was older and heavier, but not any wiser. We did put it up completely, but did not decorate. Finally in 2003 we managed to get it up, and decorated. To this day she still considers it her tree, and will attempt to climb it at least once while it's up.

November 30, 2002 -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/DSCN0058.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/DSCN0063.jpg

chocolatepuppy
11-22-2009, 08:10 PM
We always had a real tree until I bought a prelit aritifical one about five years ago. I don't regret it. Will probably put it up just after Thanksgiving. I always have an angel on top.:)

kitten645
11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Has anyone seen this site?
http://www.fluffytails.ca/christmas.asp

ROFL!

sparks19
11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
UGH I am SO bummed and it's my OWN fault.

I wanted to put up our tree tonight. but when Brian brought it down from the attic for me the stand wasn't in there and I have NO idea where I put it :( WHY didn't I put it in with the tree? so... no luck tonight. was really looking forward to it

will have to go out and get a stand tomorrow

but we use an artificial tree. as a child my mom always had an artificial tree and my dad always took us out to get a real tree. so I had the best of both worlds but HATED stepping on the needles in the carpet until after christmas and they are impossible to get rid of.

we might get a real one some day but as long as the tree is on carpet it will be artificial.

we are just starting our christmas traditions and decorations so right now we have a star on top that changes color and the tree is a beginner tree lol not really pretty but makes me happy :)

My biggest headache this year will be keeping hannah from playing with it. I KNOW she isn't going to be able to resist the lights and shiny things lol. so that will be an adventure

Taz_Zoee
11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Growing up we always had real trees. For several years we got the live potted trees. My dad planted one outside but it grew so high it blocked his satellite dish so they just cut it down. Now that dish doesn't even work.
When I moved in with Bruce we had live ones for a couple years. Then one year we got a gift card for Home Depot and found a tree on sale. So now it's a fake one for us and we both like it better. No needles and stringing lights and it's paid for itself a long time ago.
Last year Paizly climbed the tree several times (I believe she even broke a branch). I'm worried about this year because she is much bigger now! And Taggarts tail always creates problems. So there will be no ornaments along the bottom. :D I am hoping Bruce will get the Xmas things down the weekend after Thanksgiving so I can slowly start putting things up.

krazyaboutkatz
11-23-2009, 12:06 AM
I haven't had any trees up since I've had cats. When I did though I used artificial ones. I can't even set up a small tree because Storm will try to eat it. My cats are like toddlers that never grow up.

Alysser
11-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Tree Two[/U]: Located downstairs, and decorated almost solely in Star Trek ornaments. It is only a 4-footer, so it fits everything nicely. It is topped with the main insignia used on Star Trek... though, much bigger of course. :)

Me and you just HAVE to be related. I NEED a picture of this one, I demand this picture. :D I would LOVE to do something like that. LOVE too.

We have an artificial tree - it's a tradition to put up our tree on Black Friday for us since we never go out because crowds are horrendus. :eek: There are alot of doggy ornaments :D

Pembroke_Corgi
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
We will probably put up our tree on Saturday (I always put it up right after Thanksgiving and take it down the day after Christmas). We also have an artificial tree- cutting down a real one would just make me sad (plus as a kid we lived on a "retired" Christmas tree farm- the trees were all too big- and they are so nice outdoors :)). It's branches are pretty bent in some spots from the cats, but I'm not getting a new tree until Kiki is well and grown, since I fully expect her to lay in the tree. I'm not sure where to put the tree yet, since Lyra will also be trying to get into it!

Genny
11-23-2009, 06:30 PM
aww! everyone's ideas sounds like fun! I can't wait till we get a tree. I don't know if we'll get a real one or not this year-it's really up to my mom. I like having a real tree, but the lights that are already on the artificial ones sure are nice; especially when it comes time for taking it down!!

Casper
11-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Me and you just HAVE to be related. I NEED a picture of this one, I demand this picture. :D I would LOVE to do something like that. LOVE too.

Haha, I will definitely get a picture. I almost fear what will happen if I don't... :D

Maybe we can have a "Show us your Christmas tree" thread or something.

sparks19
11-23-2009, 07:24 PM
yaaaaaaay I found a stand that will work for this tree. it's not perfect... tree is a little lopsided lol but it works. the tree is standing and that's what matters :D

it's lit up I just need to finish putting the decorations on it. hannah is VERY interested in it so we are going to have to be very strict about the "NO TOUCHING THE TREE rule" right now she likes naming all the colors of the lights on the tree and is good about not touching for about 5 mintues at a time haha then the excitement makes her forget and she grabs it. it'll take a few days for it to be not so new and exciting and for consistent "no touching" enforcement to really set in. but I like that she is so excited about it :D