PDA

View Full Version : Help Save a Turkey!

Freedom
11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
This is a little different!

Saw this on craigslist initially. A local farm took in Jerry, a 3 year old turkey, to save him from landing on a dinner table for Thanksgiving.

Now they learn he has cataracts and is blind! They are trying to raise the money so he can have cataract surgery.

http://www.medeirosfarmkidsatplay.com/jerry_12.html

The vet eye surgeon they are using is the same one who did the cataract surgery on my Sugar - both eyes, - and who treated my Ozzy during the time he lived here with me.

They have a photo of Jerry at that link above.

pomtzu
11-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I love all animals, and try to help out with a needed donation occasionally........
but $2600 for cataract surgery for a turkey???? :eek: Unbelievable!!!!!

I could put a donation to better use by giving to a shelter or rescue for all the pups and kitties that need homes. If I had tons of money I didn't know what to do with, then maybe I would consider the eye surgery for the turkey. :D

Just when I thought I'd heard it all.....................:p

aTailOf2Kitties
11-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm glad somebody else thought this was a bit.... umm... silly.

Karen
11-20-2009, 12:27 PM
I bet, like many animals, he'll adjust to being blind, how long do turkeys live, anyway?

pomtzu
11-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I bet, like many animals, he'll adjust to being blind, how long do turkeys live, anyway?

I had a dog that went blind as a complication of diabetes. She made out just fine for several years without sight.

How long do turkeys live??? - not too long, especially this time of year....... :D

Freedom
11-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Jerry's expected life span is 15 years.

If you clicked on the link, without the surgery, blind as he is, he needs help to eat and to drink, and he is very sedentary which also is not good.

That is no more than what it cost for dog cataract surgery, if you get both eyes done together (Sugar didn't qualify for that though).

pomtzu
11-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Aww - I feel sorry for the guy - but I really think he could adjust - just as my dog did.

That's a heck of a charge for surgery for a turkey. That's not much less than my cataract surgery was for both eyes.

I just think the money it would cost for his surgery could be put to better use helping the homeless and hungry pets. At least turkey is safe and has shelter and food, even tho someone probably has to take him to it. :eek:

Casper
11-20-2009, 02:47 PM
My uncle had a pet turkey that lived to around seven years old. I bet Jerry still has plenty of good years ahead of him. I think it is really awesome that they are collecting money to get the surgery done. :) Who knows, he might adjust to his lack of eyesight (since they said they only got him three days ago... he might just now be learning where everything is at and such). Either way, I'm happy to see that he is with some very caring people.

Best of luck to Jerry!