PDA

View Full Version : Special PT Prayers, please! Nikata is home! See #51!

Pinot's Mom
11-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a special PT Prayer request. Dear friends, Jimmy, and his wife Mary Beth are going through a really rough time and things just got worse. For over a year MB has been badly handicapped with Lupus and other complications; Jimmy's tile work has been spotty, their finances are not good, but they're managing. Jimmy's Mom (a dear, dear, woman) was diagnosed with cancer, and passed away last weekend. It was expected, but still...

Now, the latest: their sweetheart of a dog, Nikata (border collie/aussie mix), just the BEST dog, is badly injured. She was outside yesterday, they have a long lead since MB can't walk her anymore, and MB heard her yelp. Nikata was laying in the driveway; she evidently ran for something and severely injured her spine in the cervical region. The first 48 hours are key. Please send up BIG PRAYERS for a great dog; please? :love::love:

Catty1
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
HUGE prayers are there! Wow, just when things can't get worse...

I hope Nikata recovers quickly...they need her and she needs them. :love::love:

Karen
11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Prayers on the way for the poor doggie!

chocolatepuppy
11-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Prayers headed out for Nikata.

sparks19
11-18-2009, 07:05 PM
OH no....

Lots of prayers going up for them and their sweet dog

Queen of Poop
11-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Prayers for the sweet dogger. First time I've prayed and asked Miss Sasha to keep watch.

Cinder & Smoke
11-18-2009, 09:28 PM
HI, God ~

Need sum Help down here onna ole Durt Ball ... fur Nikata -
she's got a Bum Back an needs a good Fix reel soon.
We thunk YOU'd be the One *help* her.

And whilst You're inna *HELPIN* mood --- her Dad - Mr. Jimmy ---
would be happy to help YOU wiffa Tile Job at da Bridge.
He'll give Ya a gud price on whatever Ya need.

We'll send You a re-mynder tanite at Purrayer Tyme.

THANKS, God
/s/ the Prayer Pups

Daisy and Delilah
11-18-2009, 11:29 PM
What a terrible run of bad luck these people are having. I am sending thoughts and prayers to them right away. I hope Nikata is going to be ok and recovers quickly. Hugs to all of them and Nikata.:(

krazyaboutkatz
11-19-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent their way.

ChrisH
11-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Prayers on the way.

phesina
11-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Prayers for Nikata, Jimmy, and Mary Beth. What a lot to be contending with all at once. May Nikata recover fully from her spinal injury.

Anikaca77
11-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Prays coming. Tell them to look into UAN or other places that will help with vets bills for them.

Melissa

Pinot's Mom
11-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I just talked to the Animal Hospital where Nikata is; there is essentially no change. She's not getting up on her own, she's stable, and alert. There is no decision being made until tomorrow. They're trying to keep her quiet and comfortable to help heal. Thank you all - keep up the prayer chain - tomorrow's crucial!! :love::love:

I also talked to them about finances; I'm going to get all our friends to take care of this bill, it'll be a whopper and they don't need it. We'll handle it; there's a bunch of us that love Nikata!! :love:

Queen of Poop
11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
More prayers coming!

pomtzu
11-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Prayers for Nikata and the entire family. Hopefully the PT prayers and well wishes will work the miracle that we all know is possible.

What wonderful friends - to pay the vet expenses. That's awesome Maggie.

lvpets2002
11-19-2009, 11:43 AM
:( Oh no that is all just so sad.. Sending Lots of Prayers for the whole family..

Cinder & Smoke
11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
;)

STILL Krossin Pawz Klawz --- Prayers on the way!

Taz_Zoee
11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Each time I've come to this thread I end up in tears. I am hoping very hard that Nikata pulls through this.

chocolatepuppy
11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
More prayers on the way...

Pinot's Mom
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
UPDATE-HOPEFULLY GOOD!:)

I just got off the phone with the Vet. Hospital (and I'm crying at work - sheesh!). Nikata will remain there tonight and she still can't stand on her own, BUT, when they stand her up, she's trying to remain there on her own and she does have basic potty control. They're going to try and send her home tomorrow morning to see how the weekend goes. :) She is eating, bright and alert. This is basically good - right???

Prayers still! Keep 'em coming!! She's responding!! Now if only I can hold a conversation without crying! :rolleyes: Oh...and we've paid $450 of the so far $600 vet bill!! :) I'll keep working on that one!

Thanks for the prayers everyone!

Cinder & Smoke
11-20-2009, 03:27 PM
That Report sounds *promising*. ;)

Tyme fur anudder Prayer ... <krosses pawz & klawz>
THANKS, God!

lvpets2002
11-20-2009, 03:42 PM
:love: Well yes thats good news.. Sending Lots More Prayers.. All paws crossed here..

pomtzu
11-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Is it just her back end, or all 4 legs that aren't working right? I was thinking - if it's just the back - then maybe they could get a cart for the back legs which would allow her to get around. Just a thought............

Anyway - hope she continues to make progress and it's just an injury that needs a little time to heal.

Fingers and paws crossed here, and sending prayers and good vibes out to Nikata.

Catty1
11-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Good news on Nikata! Prayers for her to be all better soon.

chocolatepuppy
11-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Come on Nikata, you can do it! More prayers for you sweetheart!

Pinot's Mom
11-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Is it just her back end, or all 4 legs that aren't working right? I was thinking - if it's just the back - then maybe they could get a cart for the back legs which would allow her to get around. Just a thought............

Anyway - hope she continues to make progress and it's just an injury that needs a little time to heal.

Fingers and paws crossed here, and sending prayers and good vibes out to Nikata.

Ellie, her front is OK, it's the back. There is indication there is nerve connection and movement. The decision here, and I hate to put it this way, is whether Nikata CAN be a "cart dog" in this household. MB will never be able to pick her up again or care for a severely handicapped dog. I have my own opinions on this, but the bottom line is it's not my dog. Nikata is loved by many, we would aid in her care, but it's ultimately not our decision. We, as a group of their friends, are on pins and needles as far as their decision. They actually don't have a clue we're all tuned in to the vet. hospital and paying the bill; there's one couple on point on a delicate tightrope.

We're just praying and hoping...as you all are! Thank you! :love:

Medusa
11-21-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm sorry that I missed this. I've been so busy w/Yodie, etc. that I've missed a lot of threads, I guess. I sure hope that all turns out well for Nikata. Things have improved this far; I hate to see it all go south now. Prayers are going up for Nikata and her family......

Catty1
11-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Would they be willing to rehome her if necessary? Is there anyone who can take her in?

Prayers continuing.

phesina
11-21-2009, 02:31 PM
More prayers for Nikata and that this situation is resolved for the best all around.

Daisy and Delilah
11-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I just want to send out more thoughts and prayers too. I am so glad to hear the good update. Get better Nikata!!!

I am so taken aback by this story. I know she will probably have several offers in case she needs to be rehomed. I feel like taking her myself.:)

Pinot's Mom
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I have a financial update, but unfortunately not a doggie update. I haven't heard anything about her today :(. I don't want to call - we're really depending on the "point" couple to do that so Jimmy and MB don't have to tell the story multiple times....I'm just worried...

Financially, though, the news is FANTASTIC! The Vet Hospital was absolutely overwhelmed by the response for Nikata. They actually had to start telling people they had too much money and that their hearts were so warmed by everyone's calls and donations. We exceeded the estimated bill by quite a bit, but she was still there at midday (:() so we don't know how high the bill will be. There is actually a waiting list of people to donate if needed.

One bad note, I kind of had to vent; the email I sent to ask for donations was sent to a large group, some I did not know, as it was forwarded. One person responded that he didn't think our "affluence" should be spent on an animal, we had to get some perspective, the holiday season was approaching and there were actual people in need of these funds. I was furious!! Who was this jerk?? Who did he think he was?? Anyway - nuff said, just had to vent, sorry.

Anyway - prayers continue - waiting for a good update. Thanks y'all! :love:

pomtzu
11-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that update Maggie, but sure wish you had some news on Nikata too. :(

As for the jerk who responded to the request for donations - well...............
I guess I could say some not too nice things about his response, but that wouldn't help Nikata any, would it? What a shame people like that can't shut their mouth and not say anything, instead of of being so damn sanctimonious!!! :mad:

chocolatepuppy
11-21-2009, 04:24 PM
One bad note, I kind of had to vent; the email I sent to ask for donations was sent to a large group, some I did not know, as it was forwarded. One person responded that he didn't think our "affluence" should be spent on an animal, we had to get some perspective, the holiday season was approaching and there were actual people in need of these funds. I was furious!! Who was this jerk?? Who did he think he was?? Anyway - nuff said, just had to vent, sorry.

Forget this person, you have enough to worry about right now. There will always be people who feel that way.

I am still praying for Nikata. I hope you hear some good news soon.

Pinot's Mom
11-21-2009, 05:36 PM
:)Quick further update - I spoke to a friend who spoke to MB - Nikata is still at the hospital and will be there until Monday or Tuesday. She's showing slight signs of improvement (unspecified, but OK), but the important thing that makes me so happy, THEY'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT PUTTING HER DOWN ANYMORE!! :D:D BIG WHEW!

I also found out we made the staff at the vet hospital cry with our response..:love: Hey, what can I say, this group's been family for more than 25years!!:love::)

OK-gotta go, I feel much better, we're expecting dinner guests soon....Have a good evening y'all!!

OOH - Coop just got off the phone with Jimmy - Nikata can roll over!! Happy dance!!

zippy-kat
11-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm late in reading this but will be sending up prayers just the same.

{{hugs for all}}

Pinot's Mom
11-22-2009, 07:24 AM
:D one more quick update before church - the vet is calling it TEMPORARY PARALYSIS! :D More happy dance!!:D

pomtzu
11-22-2009, 08:04 AM
That is wonderful news!!! Hopefully she will get to go home soon too.

Moesha
11-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Keep those great updates coming!

Cataholic
11-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Sorry to be so late to respond, but, fresh prayers coming from us!!

Pinot's Mom
11-22-2009, 06:08 PM
I talked to MB just a bit ago. Nikata is doing really well. One leg is responding, the other not so much, but OK, we'll get there! The vet is no longer recommending Nikata going to a neurologist - doesn't feel it's necessary :). She's got a catheter in which gave her a UTI (of course), but her poo control is good. MB thinks the urinary control will be fine when the UTI is done. She's looking into getting a cart for a temporary basis when Nikata first gets home. It is just so much more positive - she said the xrays show the damage between the 4th and 5th vertebrae; compressed disc.

Thank you all so much for the prayers and thoughts!:love: You're all wonderful! I'll update when they pick up Nikata.:)

chocolatepuppy
11-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Yay! So good to hear the happy news! Keep on improving Nikata!:D

Catty1
11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
YAAY! Keep on going, Nikata!!!!:D

Taz_Zoee
11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't even know if I responded to this thread yet, but I have been reading it. While I don't "pray" I have been thinking good thoughts. Pet Talk never fails with their out pouring of well wishes. And more often than not it works!! :D :D
I look forward to hearing more great updates. :)

Pinot's Mom
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Update:
Nikata is due to be picked up between 2 & 6 today - she's really going to be picked up this time. The left leg is stronger than the right; this hasn't changed. She's still on steroids to reduce inflammation; the catheter will be removed before they take her home, and they'll be instructed how to help her go. She can sit on her own, but not fully stand yet, but it's just a matter of time, we hope! :)

She has been in over a week. I don't know the total of the vet bill, but I know we (their friends) have paid over $1000 of it. There is still a balance of $370, which distresses me some, but we relieved a lot of the burden, and that's what I have to concentrate on financially. I'll stress to them we will continue to help financially, emotionally and physically as time goes on; we'll keep praying for the best outcome! :love:

Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers; I know it helped! You're all great, caring people! :):love:

Yay Nikata!! :D

Queen of Poop
11-24-2009, 09:06 AM
What great news!!! So glad she's coming home and on the mend. Keeping the good thoughts going.

Pinot's Mom
11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
What great news!!! So glad she's coming home and on the mend. Keeping the good thoughts going.

Tell Miss Sasha Nikata says thanks! ;):love:

Daisy and Delilah
11-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Fantastic News!!!! YAY YAY YAY YAY !!!!! I am so happy to hear this. Now the hard part will be trying to keep Nikata still when she gets home. Right? My son has Aussies and they are so work driven. Feel better, Sweetheart!! :) :) :)

phesina
11-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Wonderful news! Welcome home, Nikata!

Felicia's Mom
11-24-2009, 07:37 PM
That is wonderful news! Glad Nakita is going home.

chocolatepuppy
11-24-2009, 09:49 PM
That's great news!:D

Pinot's Mom
11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm giving a final update here, because I think MaryBeth may pick up from here. Nikata is home, Jimmy and MB are aware of all that's gone on (the balance ended up being ZERO!!!:D) and they may need some advice. I told MB this is the best place. I don't know how she'll sign on, but she'll reference this thread. I know you'll all welcome them as you did me and Pinot {she's the former petsitter I've referred to by the way}, so PTers - it's time for some of your well known hospitality!! Welcome MB, Jimmy and Nikata when they sign in; they'll need some help from you!!

Side note to the Catmobile crew-Nikata is always welcome!!

Thanks so much y'all for your thoughts and prayers!!

:love::love:Maggie

Alysser
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
What a beautiful story of helping a friend in need! I am so glad to hear Nikita is going home :D This story is fabulous. MB is lucky to have friends like you! :love:

Pinot's Mom
03-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Anne's post about reading old threads got me a little nostalgic on this rainy afternoon, so I reread this one. Nikata is still going strong, MB still has significant health issues but continues to plug along, Jimmy finds enough work to keep afloat and they both love Nikata more than ever! She walks fine, but her gait shows there was an injury, just a great dog! Thanks PT for caring!

phesina
03-29-2014, 06:54 PM
That's wonderful news! Thanks for the update, Maggie. Blessings and good wishes to them.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: