PDA

View Full Version : Keurig coffee makers.

RICHARD
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Does anyone own one?

Keurig coffee makers have little pre measured 'cups' that you put into the machine and it brews one cup at a time.

I am interested in buying one and wanted to get some feedback about how they work, cleaning and dependability.

I did see a demo on a shopping network and I am sure that you can buy a reuseable 'cup' and pack your own tea/coffee if you don't want to buy the pre packed stuff.

LOL, I am so stupid, Not being a coffee machine person I searched the web for it and found the reuseable coffee filter/cup and it's relatively cheap, 15 bucks. Filters? I only know car and motorcycle filters!:confused::rolleyes::o

The only reason I am not going by the reviews of the machines off the web is that most of the people who bought it are "Coffee Snobs" and are too hard core in their posts. Most people use it for coffee or chocolate and I have to wade thru all kinds of stories to get a decent idea of what to expect.

Thanks.

http://www.coffee-maker-review.net/keurig-coffee-maker.html

pomtzu
11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
My brother has one and uses it all the time. It's great for the one cup at a time, but I think it's rather pricey, as is the coffee which is good, but not that good IMO. There are other one cup coffee makers and coffee pods available for a whole lot less. And I agree - this one is for "coffee snobs", but if you like the concept and have the bucks to put out for it, then go for it.

RICHARD
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
My brother has one and uses it all the time. It's great for the one cup at a time, but I think it's rather pricey, as is the coffee which is good, but not that good IMO. There are other one cup coffee makers and coffee pods available for a whole lot less. And I agree - this one is for "coffee snobs", but if you like the concept and have the bucks to put out for it, then go for it.

I do have a regular coffee maker that I use, I just toss the bags into the basket, but I make way too much and end up tossing the rest out!

Do you know the companies that make the lesser priced makers?

Thanks again!

pomtzu
11-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I used to have one, but can't for the life of me remember who made it. I picked it up at Walmart for under $20. I know there are others too - Mellita comes to mind. And Folgers makes the coffee pods.

Cookiebaker
11-17-2009, 01:28 PM
We have one....had it for about 4 years now......upgraded to the latest model about a year ago, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE It. We only drink 1-2 cups per day, and its actually cheaper than buying and making a full pot of coffee only to dump most of it down the drain. (Also, Green Mountain Coffee is one of my husband's customers, and he has access to seconds, and sometimes they send home a box in thanks for his hard work).

That said, it makes absolutely fresh coffee, and the flavor is like no other pot of coffee. Perfect temperature, perfect brew, every time. :)

:mad:Unfortunately, now that I am pregnant, I cannot stand the smell of coffee, no way...oh well, its only a few months right? ;)

ETA: To clean it, about every 2-3 months, we run a water tank full of straight vinegar through, followed by 2-3 tanks of fresh water. That clears out any hard water build up, and keeps things running smoothly. Other than that, just a warm, soapy dishcloth to wash the exterior. Hope that helps! :)

Pinot's Mom
11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
My husbands Aunt has one; she is a coffee snob, she loves it. I could take it or leave it BUT my issue with hers is space! She has a severe lack of counter space and this thing takes up a whole counter. I don't know if there are smaller models, but, between the machine and the basket of "designer coffee singles" - she has no counter left.

moosmom
11-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I have one and it is the best!!!! I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a great coffee maker.

If you really want one, I'll send you a Bed, Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon for one. If you live alone, Richard, I'd suggest the Keurig Mini. It's perfect for single people that live alone.

They have all different flavors as well as decaf. It's worth looking into.

RICHARD
11-17-2009, 02:23 PM
If you live alone, Richard, I'd suggest the Keurig Mini. It's perfect for single people that live alone.

If I ever join a dating service, can I use that line?:D

I am interested in the reuseable filter cup! Does anyone use that feature?

-----------------

I have a few boxes of the teas and coffees.

While I worked and offices closed, people would throw out them out. They took the coffee makers and left all the other stuff behind. Instead of throwing them away, I would open them and run the coffee/tea thru a
regular CM.

Oh, thanks for the cleaning tips, that is helpful.

moosmom
11-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, I use the K-Cup when I run out of coffee pods. You can buy any kind of coffee at the grocery store and put it in the K-Cup. I use it only when I'm broke (most of the time) and buy flavored coffee at the grocery store.

redbird
11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Richard I ordered mine from one of the shopping networks and it's one of the best things I have ordered. When you order from TV, they give you lots of freebies including your own filter basket for making your own coffee plus they give a bunch of K-cups coffee filled cups. They give you a variety so you have a choice of what you will order later if you ever do. I have ordered from Keurig a number of times and have found my fav coffee's so I order my fav each time. It can get expensive so I usually just add my own coffee and it takes no time at all to make it.

The handbook tells you how to clean the coffeemaker, it's the usual way using vinegar to keep the pump clean. I do mine every 3 months or sooner. The only thing you will need to get used to is the pump is noisy when it is filling with water between cups of coffee but it's worth it. Since I purchased mine there have been a lot of newer models out there but if you can find it on QVC or HSN, you will get a much better deal. I've had mine about 3 years now and no problems at all, I just love it :)

redbird
11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=RICHARD;2209105]If I ever join a dating service, can I use that line?:D

I am interested in the reuseable filter cup! Does anyone use that feature?

-----------------

I use my reuseable filter cup every single day. I actually have a few of them, they sent me two when I ordered from TV. I normally use chock full o'nuts coffee and it does taste fantastic. I don't know about other one cup coffee makers since Keurig was the first one I ever heard of , just remember the old saying, you get what you pay for.
:p

Asiel
11-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I did buy one but found that one cup at a time was a bit inconvenient and it does take up a lot of counter space so I don't use it, went back to my old faithful. The coffee was great but it was a bit pricey.

Cataholic
11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I am a self labeled coffee snob. I bought the Keurig and did not like it at all. You are very limited in the strenght of coffee you can make, and making 1 cup at a time was not efficient. I returned it- without problem- and went back to a drip filter.

I do think it is great if you like flavored coffees. They have a wide selection.

RICHARD
11-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I am a self labeled coffee snob. I bought the Keurig and did not like it at all. You are very limited in the strenght of coffee you can make, and making 1 cup at a time was not efficient. I returned it- without problem- and went back to a drip filter.

I do think it is great if you like flavored coffees. They have a wide selection.

The coffee strength seems to be the biggest complaint.

Now that it's getting colder I like a cup of something hot in the morning and I just fill a pot on the stove and drop in a tea bag. I was thinking about it and a small brewer with a timer on it would be nice.

I saw the Kuerig on sale at Target, but didn't look at it closely, I am an impulse buyer and have to be careful!:rolleyes:

Thanks.

Cataholic
11-18-2009, 12:56 PM
LOL...please define "cold".

Puckstop31
11-18-2009, 01:31 PM
We have one at our office and a couple of my clients have one at theirs. What I like most is having a very fresh cup each time. Love to have one at home, but can't justify fitting one into the budget at this point.

I do also agree with the strength of some of the coffee not being there... But I do enjoy the "Newman's Own Extra Bold".

redbird
11-18-2009, 02:07 PM
The coffee strength seems to be the biggest complaint.

To make coffee stronger, just add more coffee to the filter basket or if you're using a K-cup, order the stronger brands. I usually buy the bold strength K-cups, that does the trick if you like a stronger cup of coffee as I do.

RICHARD
11-18-2009, 04:04 PM
LOL...please define "cold".

Ummmm.....Less than 75 degrees?:o

NO, 51 degrees and I leave the windows open at night!

Moesha
11-29-2009, 05:18 PM
QVC has the Keurig Platinum as their special value today. It is 136.32 plus 13.97 shipping and applicable tax. There are several extras that you get with the value on QVC.