PDA

View Full Version : Turkey roaster? What do you use?

Freedom
11-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Bought my turkey for Thanksgiving, and picked up an aluminum pan for roasting it in. The butcher saw and told me it wouldn't hold my 22 pounder. He and a customer suggested I get a roaster with a rack in it. Non stick surface.

Been looking on line, succeeded in getting totally confused.

The Kitchenaid one, the teflon doesn't last; and it is costly! The Calphalon is even more pricey.

So, what do you use? Thanks!

Laura's Babies
11-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I detest any baking/cooking stuff with those so called "non stick" surfaces. Get any roaster you can scrub with a Brillo pad. If something sticks BAD, put water in it, heat it, turn it off and let it set..

I find with all my aluminum pans, if I keep a nice shine on the with brillo pads, they are SO much easier to clean. I only like aluminum or stainless steel for baking because if properly taken care of, they will last forever.. (Teflon don't)... and they are easy to clean.

Twisterdog
11-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I would just put it in a turkey bag and put it in the oven. That's what I always do. Cooks quickly, is tender, and no mess to clean up - just throw the bag away!

Seravieve
11-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd have to agree with Laura's Babies, Teflon does not last. I had a set of KitchenAide pans, spent almost $200 on them and they didnt last a year. I could scramble eggs in the small skillet and it looked like I'd peppered them heavily... nope just the non stick coating. YUCK! So I tossed the bad pans and donated the others to Goodwill. Both a set of Wolfgang Puck Stainless ones. I love love love them.

Anyways...

The last two years I've made the turkey, I've used a turkey bag from Reynold's inside of the disposable aluminum pan. My only complaint was how flimsy the pans were once they had a big turkey in them! Not much of a mess with the turkey bag... Had LOTS of compliments on the meat too.

K9karen
11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
My mom was the turkey cooker. She put it in an aluminum pan, which had a rack inside, added a bit of butter all over the bird, water on the bottom of the pan (added more when needed), and let it cook.

This year (I won a 25 pounder last year and cooked it in Sept) I cut the bird up..legs, split the breast, cooked all as above. All got cooked, evenly, juicy, yummy.

Oh, I brined the bird in a huge Glad bag (the ones they advertising for storage) for 24 hours in Kosher salt before cooking.

Grace
11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Those aluminum pans don't cost much - how about buying 2 and putting one inside the other. That ought to make it sturdy enough.

kitten645
11-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Teflon is evil. And harmful. It was not meant to go into a high temp oven. I'm in the industry. Believe me I know! I use a stainless steel roaster. You can scrub the Heck out of it. Just use plenty of PAM. I even use the disposable aluminum kind. Works like a charm!
My most favorite rack is from Cuisipro. It has a 'spine" that you can pull out and seperate the two sides. No lifting the bird! See here:
http://www.cookware.com/asp/superbrowse.asp?clid=772&caid=&sku=CPR1113&refid=GANk232270
Good luck!

Medusa
11-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Those aluminum pans don't cost much - how about buying 2 and putting one inside the other. That ought to make it sturdy enough.

Yes, that works; I've done it. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Or putting the aluminum pan on a cookie sheet would probably work.

Pinot's Mom
11-15-2009, 07:59 AM
We've had the same big aluminum roasting pan for over 25 years. I don't have any "non-stick" pans - all they do is peel and that's really not good for you. That roasting pan is a workhorse, and anything (anything!) can be soaked out of it. We have never cooked turkey in anything else.

kuhio98
11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Those aluminum pans don't cost much - how about buying 2 and putting one inside the other. That ought to make it sturdy enough.Yep, that's what we do. Put the nested pans on a cookie sheet or pizza pan. Makes it easier (and sturdier) for taking it out and putting it back in the oven.

Karen
11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Paul's mom uses an enamelware roasting pan - the kind that's black with white speckles, it's plenty sturdy, and she's used it for as long as I can remember.

Freedom
11-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Great info, thanks for all the replies.

anna_66
11-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Here's what I use..
http://cgi.ebay.com/WAGNER-WARE-MAGNALITE-ROASTER-DUTCH-OVEN-POT-PAN-4265-M_W0QQitemZ380178074342QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCookware _Bakeware?hash=item5884610ae6 Wagner ware is some of the best cookware ever!

Seravieve
11-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Paul's mom uses an enamelware roasting pan - the kind that's black with white speckles, it's plenty sturdy, and she's used it for as long as I can remember.

That's what my mom uses too! Same black with white speckles.

Freedom
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I have two of those roasting pans, the blue with white speckles. Not sure, I don't think they are enamel ware. Used them for roasts and chickens. Anyhow, they are 2 different sizes, both too small for this turkey.

I'm going to try the Reynolds bag! I bought one aluminum disposable pan when I bought the turkey (to make sure I had SOMETHING!) I usually use a cookie sheet under it. Guess buying a roaster just isn't gonna happen and that is fine; I know 14 noses who would prefer food and treats!

Cinder & Smoke
11-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Hmmmmmm :confused: ...

Wonder what Bob Evans uses ???

I'll ask on Turkey Day.

:D

cassiesmom
11-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I know 14 noses who would prefer food and treats!

Are they going to want some turkey in their dishes? My cat always gets some (grandmeowmie always makes sure I give her a little in her dish).

Freedom
11-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Oh yes, all 14 of them will get some!

Asiel
11-16-2009, 03:27 PM

That's what I've been using for years. I've given a few others a try but for me this is the best and I wouldn't use anything else now. I also use a smaller version to make home baked beans and I love it.

Lady's Human
11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Personally, I use LoH, but I think she'd be a bit put off by interstate requests.

:p

Lady's Human
11-16-2009, 04:50 PM
On a serious note, we need to get a new roasting pan, I'm looking at a heavy stainless or aluminum pan, depending on what will fit in our oven.

Freedom
11-16-2009, 08:49 PM
I am done with this project! I bought a granite ware pan with lid (on sale at Benny's, Lady's Human) and they had an 8 position rack for under $5. It is small enough that I can use it in several of my pans.

Thanks all! I am now officially ready to cook this huge turkey!

joycenalex
11-17-2009, 05:28 PM
i was at macys dept store this afternoon. the have a heavy duty roaster with a solid looking rack for $9.99. the pan would have held a 20# turkey for thanksgiving, then afterwards there would have been a great lasagna pan;). hope this helps someone, ten dollars is a good price for that quality