PDA

View Full Version : how much $$

Genny
11-14-2009, 03:53 PM
How much $$ does it cost to own a horse? And to board a horse somewhere? And to feed it? How much a month would it cost? Thanks

Karen
11-14-2009, 04:15 PM
A lot - but it varies from place to place hundreds to thousands. And the cost of the horse itself also varies extremely widely. You'd be best off calling around to local barns about boarding costs, and what it entails - does it cover food, or is that a separate fee? Can you work at the barn to offset some of the costs, etc.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
We don't board our horse, so I 'm not really sure on that cost. We have 2 horses that we board here for a family, but we don't charge them money, they help with upkeep and other yard work for us in exchange.

Food cost is a bit higher in the winter than in the summer. My husband actually does the budget so this is pretty roundabout. I think we spend about $30 a week in the summer and closer to $50 in the winter. That's for feed and hay.

There's also other regular expenses. Shavings for the stall, wormer, vaccinations, farrier expenses, bug spray, etc.

Then there are expenses that are less often, but you'll need to replace every now and again, like water and food buckets, grooming supplies-brushes, etc.

There's also "one time" expenses like tack.

Also are you going to take lessons?

Genny
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Well reason I was asking is because there was this place that had some horses for sale not far from where we live and I've always ALWAYS wanted a horse, and I was wondering how much $$ it would be to own one. I don't have a place to keep one at home, but I thought what if I boarded one?? I just don't make that much money working at Chickfila right now. I didn't know the feed was that expensive per week. I don't guess right now would be the best time for me to get one, but maybe oneday I can have one! :cool:

BitsyNaceyDog
11-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Have you ever taken lessons? If I were you, I'd start with that. Taking lessons would allow you to be around horses and teach you everything you need to know so you can one day have a horse of your own.

Suki Wingy
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I have been riding since I was 11, I work at a horse barn, and I still have never had my own. It really depends on where you live. If you live in the city or somewhere where most of the people who ride show in the top circuits, the average board per month is $400-$800. That includes basic food but not supplements or extras. If you live closer to the country and there is space to keep your horse outside, pasture board usually runs about $150-$300.
If you've found a place to keep your horse for free or cheap, you still need to feed it. During the summer they only need minimal hay if there is plenty of grazing area and you don't work the horse too hard. During the winter, they definitely need hay even if you don't ride. Hay is in short supply nowadays. A bale will run from $2 to $5, with the average coming to $3. Almost all of our horses also get grain.

Now, a horse will need to see the farrier for a hoof trim every 6-8 weeks. (Usually it's 6 in the summer and 8 in the winter months) Some horses need to be shod at least in the front hooves to stay sound. This can cost from $40 to $150 depending on the area, type of shoe, and particular farrier. Just trimming all four feet costs between $25 and $60 or so, that I know of.

There are a whole bunch of necessary things that also add up, like wormer, vet visits, shots, and coggins tests.
The equipment you will need can be found discounted and used for pretty cheap. That's something I'm pretty good at. ;) Halters and lead ropes run from $10-$30, some saddles can be found for around $100 if you look hard, bridles for $40, girths for $20, saddle pads for $3 used if you go to a tack swap or horse show. (They usually run around $20)

So to sum it up, a hell of a lot of money, or I'd already have my own!

*LabLoverKEB*
11-15-2009, 05:57 PM
VERY VERYexpensive!! :eek: They are A LOT of work, too.
I'm actually at my aunts house here in OR, and they have 3. Since the horses live on their property, (43 acres) they don't have to worry about boarding costs.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-16-2009, 08:08 AM
...Hay is in short supply nowadays. A bale will run from $2 to $5, with the average coming to $3... Wow! You can get a bale of hay for $2-$5!? It runs $6-$15 here. We end up having to get a bale of the cheep $6 hay and a bale of $12 hay and "mixing" them to make it last longer.

aTailOf2Kitties
11-16-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't own one but I do know from working there that vet visits can get pretty pricey, even for routine stuff.

Suki Wingy
11-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Wow! You can get a bale of hay for $2-$5!? It runs $6-$15 here. We end up having to get a bale of the cheep $6 hay and a bale of $12 hay and "mixing" them to make it last longer.

WHOA! I've never heard of hay going for that much? These are regular size bales, right? Every time I've gone to get hay we usually pay about $3/bale. My boss is really good at finding deals though. What cut do you usually get?

BitsyNaceyDog
11-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah, they're regular sized bales. We get costal for $6 per bale and alfalfa for $12. Most hay here is brought in from out of state, which I'm sure is why it's more expensive.

Genny
11-17-2009, 04:17 PM
wow, I'd love to have one though. I knew it was a lot of stuff that had to be kept done for the horse cause when my dad was little they use to have horses. I just didn't know how much $$ it all is. I don't have that much! :D Maybe someday I'll get rich and be able to get one!!!! :D My neighbors have donkeys...I like going to the end of their pasture...I'll call the donkeys and they'll come running and let me feed them and pet them. They're precious ;)