PDA

View Full Version : What is the rudest question...

joycenalex
11-14-2009, 11:01 AM
you've ever been asked? i've been reading some on another forum and now i'm curious. given that this is an animal lovers site, the question to me was why would you spend so much money on 'just' a dog?

Karen
11-14-2009, 11:14 AM
In real life, I once had a neighbor ask me "No kids? What's wrong with you?" in a way that I knew he thought was being funny. Suffice to say he will never do that ever again.

happylabs
11-14-2009, 11:19 AM
This is not pet related at all, but VERY rude. Last year I stopped coloring my hair for about 6 months. I was going through a health food/lifestyle phase and trying not to use many chemicals.

Went to a family party for one of the little ones. My niece's husband looked at me and said...wow Aunt Helen, can't you afford hair color any longer? I couldn't believe it. This is a guy that pretty much will say anything. I laughed it off but just seriously thought to myself...what the heck?!?

aTailOf2Kitties
11-14-2009, 11:39 AM
"It smells in here. Do you take a bath every day?" from a college roomate. She was a total holier than thou "princess" beeyotch. I ended up swapping rooms with somebody else.... ummmm.... with a darker skin tone just like hers, and she never had any issues at all with them.

sparks19
11-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't know if it's the rudest question we've ever been asked but it is one that I HATE.

"so how much money do you make"

I dont' know I was just always taught that you don't ASK people that... of course this same person spent the whole week talking about money and asking how much this friend makes and how much this person makes and how much is your bonus and blah blah blah. I just can't stand the money obsession

redbird
11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
This question was not only rude but uncalled for, "how can you stand living with a cat"? I cannot post here what my answer to that was but I'm sure you all have an idea. :mad:

Catlady711
11-14-2009, 03:05 PM
:mad:The ruddest question I was asked was when I worked as a grocery store cashier.

One of the customers I was checking out asked me 'how long till the bread was out of the oven' (bad way of asking when the baby is due).......

I was not pregnant!:mad:

Just because someone has on a loose flowing top and happens to have a pudgy looking belly, does not make one pregnant!

CountryWolf07
11-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Hmm, rudest question I've been asked? Probably when it comes to my hearing disability. "Can you hear?" in the wrong situation.

RICHARD
11-14-2009, 06:01 PM
In real life, I once had a neighbor ask me "No kids? What's wrong with you?" in a way that I knew he thought was being funny. Suffice to say he will never do that ever again.

What did you do with the body?:eek:

------------

LOL,
The gal I was dating asked me (Remember, I am half Mexican...) "What do you eat on Thanksgiving"?

I kept a straight face and told her, "Tacos, burritos, rice and beans".

She had a stunned look on her face and I laughed like a drunken idiot and told her, "what do YOU think?"

I am still laughing.:):D

chocolatepuppy
11-14-2009, 06:09 PM

I've been asked that question a million times.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-14-2009, 06:21 PM
:mad:The ruddest question I was asked was when I worked as a grocery store cashier.

One of the customers I was checking out asked me 'how long till the bread was out of the oven' (bad way of asking when the baby is due).......

Just because someone has on a loose flowing top and happens to have a pudgy looking belly, does not make one pregnant!
I was asked that once too. I was standing in a checkout line and the lady in line in front of me was very obviously pregnant. The cashier asked her when her baby was due and the lady told her. Then the cashier turned to me and asked when my baby was due. I turned bright red as I told her I wasn't pregnant.

Like you I was wearing a shirt that was loose and I hold my extra weight in my belly.

Queen of Poop
11-14-2009, 06:37 PM
The rudest question is one I've been asked alot lately.

Why didn't you leave sooner?

Unless you've been emotionally abused you will never understand, I couldn't.

Laura's Babies
11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Oooooo! It would take a book to write up what lead up to a Captain asking me this..

"What KIND of relationship do you and "Captain X" have anyway, that he allows that?".. I told him REAL quick that I didn't like how that sounded at ALL! I was highly insulted that someone that had only known me for several days would judge me in any way...

catnapper
11-14-2009, 07:40 PM
"So when are you and hubby going have have kids of your own?"
I ALWAYS replied: "They're teenagers... the best birth control imaginable."

And when I was single:
"So why are you still single?" If I knew why, I wouldn't have been single, now would I have been? :rolleyes:

Twisterdog
11-14-2009, 07:46 PM
I was asked the old "When is your baby due?" question. I replied, "Two months ago." Bummed me out on two levels: one, that I was obviously still fat two months after giving birth and two, that I was too poor to buy new clothes. :(

I also get various versions of "OMG, how can you STAND to have that many dogs in your house?"

K9karen
11-14-2009, 09:06 PM
When I was in my teens, I was climbing steps from the train to the street, and two handsome, white collar guys (you never know) asked me how long it took me to learn how to get my big fat ass moving up the steps.

Wha? 30+ years later, 30 pounds lighter, I'm still haunted. I can see it as if it was yesterday.

luvofallhorses
11-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Um the rudest was when I was skinny in highschool don't you ever eat? :rolleyes: I'd like to be asked that now that I am not skinny anymore. :rolleyes:

kitten645
11-14-2009, 10:18 PM
" "So why are you still single?" If I knew why, I wouldn't have been single, now would I have been? "

I don't even know where to go with that one. I've been asked that many times and I find it rude. I CHOOSE to be single. I don't have to figure out what's wrong with me! I know why. It's a choice for me. I could be married if I wanted to be. It's none of their business. I wouldn't ask a married person when they expected to be divorced! :mad:

DJFyrewolf36
11-14-2009, 10:41 PM
The questions I find rude don't involve context, it's more of an issue with of how the question was asked. I will answer any question because subject matter doesn't bother me as long as A. the person wants an HONEST answer and B. they ask tactfully. Any question that can't be asked tactfully is one that should go unanswered in my opnion.

karyn674
11-15-2009, 01:18 AM
When working as a secretary, about 4 yrs ago I had an office colleague and she always used to ask personal questions...to everyone!

I had a house for sale and when I did sell it she asked me how much money did I sell it. She knew how much I had bought it for, so she wanted to know how much money I made! Since I was waiting for this question I told her:

'Oh! what a pitty did not know you wanted to buy it yourself! Well its too late now!'

Some people don't have any idea where the margin of norm and too personal stands!

blue
11-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Some people don't have any idea where the margin of norm and too personal stands!

Quoted because its true.

Medusa
11-15-2009, 06:58 AM
"Are those real?" :mad: I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out to what he was referring. :o

neko1
11-15-2009, 07:38 AM
I constantly get asked 'when are you having kids?'. UGH so annoying! First off, I'm childfree and proud! Secondly, if for some reason I wanted kids (*never gonna happen) and couldn't have any, I'd be really upset at people asking that all the time, and third, my reproductive system is none of your business!! I should be asking you- 'why would you have kids??'

RICHARD
11-15-2009, 08:05 AM
"Are those real?" :mad: I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out to what he was referring. :o

The garden gnomes by your front door?:confused:

Alysser
11-15-2009, 08:17 AM
I walk weird, really weird. I don't really know why, but its apparently very noticable. People never really say anything but sometimes I'll get 'what is wrong with your legs?'. It's really annoying, REALLY annoying. :rolleyes:

I've only gottent this once so far since I've had Mikey and since I have over 60 pictures of him on FB but someone asked me why I was so obsessed with my dog in a joking manner but it still gets on my nerves. :rolleyes:

cassiesmom
11-15-2009, 11:24 AM

Similar situation. A friend of my college roommate asked her if I was pregnant because of the way I was dressed. I was floored.

lizbud
11-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Strangely enough, the rudest question asked was right here on PT.

I was so shocked, I passed it off with a funny answer, but I've never
forgotten it. No one, absolutely no one, called the person on it.

sparks19
11-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Ugh I've been asked this too and then usually followed up with "can I touch em"... and usually the worst offenders are other WOMEN :eek:

and I'm surprised no one has asked me when I am due yet because I could definitely pass myself off as a pregnant woman lol

pomtzu
11-15-2009, 12:01 PM

And I'll bet it's not the obvious!

I say fingernails.....:D

I know what you're thinking Mary - but I couldn't resist!

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Since I've never been married it's probably the "why are you still single?" question. I usually say that I just haven't found the right person and leave it at that. People also always assume that you have children and when I say that I don't they seemed shocked to hear this too.

Laura's Babies
11-16-2009, 12:19 AM
The perfect answer for that "why are you still single?"

WHY get married and make only one man happy.........?

I'd rather be single and make them ALL happy!

(that was my answer when I was young and out in the singles scene and it shut them up fast!)

anna_66
11-16-2009, 08:56 AM
It's got to be "Why are you so upset? It's just a dog" when Angus died.

Pinot's Mom
11-16-2009, 09:12 AM
This was well over 20 years ago and I remember it as if it was yesterday...

My husband and I were going through infertility procedures and there were times certain things were happening and I had to get to the doctor's office at THAT MOMENT. My instructions were to just call and tell them I was on the way. EVERY TIME I called, the nurse/receptionist asked, "ARE YOU PREGNANT?" To which I did NOT reply, although I wanted to, "NO, STUPID, THAT'S THE PROBLEM!":mad:

AdoreMyDogs
11-16-2009, 09:32 AM
I've been asked the same question twice by this jerk in the mall here. It's one of those center kiosk (sp) things and the sales people are trying to sell their product. In this case it was these neck warmer wrap things. Anyway, I'm walking becide Quinn, and, not to toot my own horn or anything, but she's a stunning child. He looks at her, then looks at me, and then at her and gasps and says, "Oh my goodness, is she YOURS?" When I reply, "yes", he says (after looking at me then back at her, "WOW, she's gorgeous!". Yes I am aware she's a gorgeous child but Mister, I'm not a total hag. It's really insulting. That same man has said that same thing to me twice. I avoid that whole kiosk now. She is a pretty child, and I know I'm not a supermodel or anything, but I'm not a total hag and I am capable of producing a pretty child. GRRRR. It's so insulting. They way he says it, he's obviously surprised that such a pretty child is the product of me. I can't tell exactlly where he's from, but he has a strong accent (maybe Italian), so maybe in the country he's from, it's OK to be so rude.

AdoreMyDogs
11-16-2009, 09:39 AM
When I was in my teens, I was climbing steps from the train to the street, and two handsome, white collar guys (you never know) asked me how long it took me to learn how to get my big fat ass moving up the steps.

Wha? 30+ years later, 30 pounds lighter, I'm still haunted. I can see it as if it was yesterday.

Karen I'm so angry at the miserable monsters that said that to you. Shame on them, those miserable jerks. :( When I was a young girl, I was about 12, I was in Santa Barbara, CA at my aunts house and she and a few of her friends were taking my family and I to a big ritzy party. I was (and still am) really sensetive, and this one perticular friend of my aunt was a horrible man. I was waiting for my brother and my dinner to be done in the microwave (we were having those frozen fried chicken pieces and were waiting on the chicken to finish cooking in the microwave) and this friend of my aunts said, "come on Leslie, you don't need to eat, you're fat enough". It took a few seconds to comprehend what he said (no grown-up had ever used those ugly words with me before) and then I ran out of the house crying. I'm still traumatized by that. How could anyone be so ugly, especially to a sweet child?

Catherinedana
11-16-2009, 09:45 AM
The thing that immediately comes to mind is (and I've received several versions of this question) Do you have all those birds to make up for the fact that you never had children?

Excuse me. . .I never wanted children. I did, however, want every single bird that I share my home with.

:p

Taz_Zoee
11-16-2009, 09:51 AM
I can't think of any rude questions, but the annoying one has to do with Bruce and I not being married. It comes in many forms - Don't you want to get married? Doesn't he want to get married? Do you think you'll ever get married? Do you (does he) want kids?
We've been together for almost 7 years, why get married? It's working just fine as it is. Besides, why is it anyone else's business if I'm married or not? I don't understand!!! If I weren't happy and insisted on being married I guess I would have left him years ago, right?

Laura, I love your response to the "why are you still single?" question. That's hilarious!!! I was asked that a lot back when I was single too. I wish I had that answer for them. :D

Pinot's Mom
11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Besides, why is it anyone else's business ...

This is at the crux of so many rude questions. The simple answer is, it's NOT anyone else's business. Period.

Whisk_Luva
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
I've been asked the same question twice by this jerk in the mall here. It's one of those center kiosk (sp) things and the sales people are trying to sell their product. In this case it was these neck warmer wrap things. Anyway, I'm walking becide Quinn, and, not to toot my own horn or anything, but she's a stunning child. He looks at her, then looks at me, and then at her and gasps and says, "Oh my goodness, is she YOURS?" When I reply, "yes", he says (after looking at me then back at her, "WOW, she's gorgeous!". Yes I am aware she's a gorgeous child but Mister, I'm not a total hag. It's really insulting. That same man has said that same thing to me twice. I avoid that whole kiosk now. She is a pretty child, and I know I'm not a supermodel or anything, but I'm not a total hag and I am capable of producing a pretty child. GRRRR. It's so insulting. They way he says it, he's obviously surprised that such a pretty child is the product of me. I'm pretty sure he's Italian, the jerk. He's not trying to be a jerk, but he's not thinking about what he says before he says it.

I've always thought that Quinn looks a lot like you..... he obviously has no idea what he is talking about....

RICHARD
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
The thing that immediately comes to mind is (and I've received several versions of this question) Do you have all those birds to make up for the fact that you never had children?

Excuse me. . .I never wanted children. I did, however, want ever single bird that I share my home with.

:p

Me?

I would have given them the 'bird'.

---------

All you gals out there aren't alone.

My mom would ask me all the time, "when are you going to get married?"

Like most of us, we realized at one point in life that we weren't destined for that road in life.

My answer to them was, "I can't find anyone follish enough to marry me."

Parenthood is a huge responsibility and I think that most of us realized that we are not up to the challenge.

I mean, do they ask people "Don't you have enough kids?" to the people who have a baseball team in tow?:rolleyes::eek:

lvpets2002
11-16-2009, 12:12 PM
:p Only you would come up with that Richard..
--------

LOL,
The gal I was dating asked me (Remember, I am half Mexican...) "What do you eat on Thanksgiving"?

She had a stunned look on her face and I laughed like a drunken idiot and told her, "what do YOU think?"

I am still laughing.:):D

kokopup
11-16-2009, 12:20 PM
It was 1970 and I had spent the last 5 years working for NASA or NASA contractors. I decided to get out of the Aerospace world that seemed to revolve around musical jobs to work for who ever had the contact for astronics support. I was always employed but it required changing companies to stay with the contract. I wanted a little more stability.

I had received a job with Reliance Electric out of Euclid Ohio. I was going through a 6 month training program there in Euclid. One evening I was in a local establishment having a drink and was talking to a local. From his response to my answer to his question I have to assume his world was only as big as his TV set.

He ask me where I was from, maybe because of my accent or maybe he was just curious. When I responded "Alabama" he said, "Reliance must really be getting hard up to start hiring people out of the south." I was so dumfounded by his little world response I was speechless.

Catherinedana
11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I mean, do they ask people "Don't you have enough kids?" to the people who have a baseball team in tow?:rolleyes::eek:

Maybe more like, "How can you live in a house with all those kids?" rather than dogs, cats or birds!!!! :rolleyes: :D

MY kids go to sleep when it gets dark and are quiet all night!
MY kids get put in a cage with a door for a time-out when they misbehave!
MY kids don't beg me for things whenever I go into a store.
MY kids love me unconditionally no matter what I look like, how much money I have or what kind of car I drive and do not expect to be driven by limosine to the school prom.

OK - 'nough said.

Medusa
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
And I'll bet it's not the obvious!

I say fingernails.....:D

I know what you're thinking Mary - but I couldn't resist!

LOL, you and RICHARD should team up. ;)

Medusa
11-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Bad enough to say that anyhow but to a teenage girl yet? Deplorable! In my fantasy, you roundhoused both of them and down those steps they went.

Catherinedana
11-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Bad enough to say that anyhow but to a teenage girl yet? Deplorable! In my fantasy, you roundhoused both of them and down those steps they went.

Don't worry - they got theirs! No one can be so mean without getting a kick in the karma

Asiel
11-16-2009, 03:18 PM
The rudest question I've been asked and am still asked is -
Why are you at the doctor's so often-do you live there?

Alysser
11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
I cannot believe some of these questions people got asked, I really don't get how people can be so rude. :( Karen, I cannot believe anyone said that too you and to everyone else - the nerve..honestly. :rolleyes:

I remembered one from when I was in elementary school, I do not understand how I could forget something like this. This kid that sat across from me was always being a busy body with everyone. One day I did a little paragraph about how my brother was in Iraq at the time. I went back to my table after reading it and the dumb kid asked me flat out "Did he die?". Fine I know he was young - we all were though, I would have NEVER asked such a stupid question. He said it in such a mocking voice to. If he had died - WHICH he did not I would have said so, wouldn't I, genius? Secondly, that's not something you ask someone. :rolleyes: What an idiot.

joycenalex
11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
.....When I was a young girl, I was about 12 .....sensetive, and this one perticular friend of my aunt was a horrible man. ...and this friend of my aunts said,....you're fat enough". It took a few seconds to comprehend what he said (no grown-up had ever used those ugly words with me before) and then I ran out of the house crying. I'm still traumatized by that. How could anyone be so ugly, especially to a sweet child?
please oh please tell me your aunt threw him out of her house and her life. what a miserable waste of skin fro an adult to try to hurt a child. i am so sorry,

joycenalex
11-16-2009, 05:02 PM

yeah, a few people said that to me too..:(

AdoreMyDogs
11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
please oh please tell me your aunt threw him out of her house and her life. what a miserable waste of skin fro an adult to try to hurt a child. i am so sorry,

My aunt is an amazing woman, she was as shocked as I was, and just as hurt by the man who said that to me. I missed her words to him because I ran outside and my mom ran out with me, but she kicked him out of her house and she has never spoken with him since.

He was at least 25 years older then me. There was no excuse for his words and I will never forget it. I wish people would be more careful when they speak to other people, especially children. I hope no one ever talks to my children like that.

Thanks. Yeah it still hurts. Words are weapons for sure.

AdoreMyDogs
11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I've always thought that Quinn looks a lot like you..... he obviously has no idea what he is talking about....

Thanks sweety :) Yeah she does resemble me quite a bit. She's a nice mix, looks like daddy and looks like me. My son looks more like me then he looks like daddy.

prechrswife
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
"How much did it cost?" or "Was it expensive?" from total strangers asking about our daughter's adoption. And not a question, but when they see our family with one Asian daughter, and 2 Caucasian children, we get a lot of "Oh, you adopted and then you got pregnant. That happens all the time!" Um, no, lots of people adopt and never have biological children.

K9karen
11-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks, girls, for your compassionate responses. You know, some stupid, nitwit comments I shrug off, or at the most, fester for a short time. (too shocked to reply, then later wishing I had said something witty)

I was never skinny. I wore "mini skirts", but not as mini as some of my long legged friends. Yes, I carried weigh from the hips down no matter what I did. But the comments by those guys remained with me. I'm sure other people heard them. I was mortified and it ruined me for a long time, wondering what people aren't saying to my face.

I was so obssessed with my body around that time, I had 3 liposuctions, lost 30 pounds, excercise etc. I needed to rebuilt..rather FIND self esteem. Still working on it.

Anyway, Yes, I believe in karma too.

:love::love::love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Three questions immidiately come up here:

We have 2 adopted children now. after trying to get kids for at least 5 years, we've got the most rude questions on this matter!! Here are the worst 3:

1)Who's fault is it??
2)You need a picture??
3)Shall I show you how to do it??

The first one was asked by a psychologist who was interviewing us for the adoption procedure. I answered that this was none of his business, and that was a very unappropiate thing to ask!!

The 2nd & 3rd was asked by a "friend" to my hubby!! That person is NOT welcome here anymore!!!

steel
11-17-2009, 06:19 AM
I was asked why i have 5 cats & then the creep said to get rid of them. I told him to get rid of himself. Rude people exist everywhere. Oh...i was also asked why i never married & then the rude person asked "are you gay" ? Im not gay but its no ones beeswax what i do with my life.

krazyaboutkatz
11-17-2009, 11:26 AM
I thought of 2 more. A long time ago there was this man that lived down the hall from me and we'd usually leave for work at the same time. He'd say hello as he passed me and I'd say hello back. One day he asked me "Do you work?". I told him yes and I thought that was strange. He made a comment that I didn't look like I was dressed for work. At my work I don't need to be dressed up. I can wear jeans and tennis shoes. I work in a dental lab and it's very dusty and dirty there. I guess he just assumes that everyone should dress professionaly if they work. I'm glad that he doesn't live in my building any more.

Another question I get a lot is "How many cats do you have?" When I tell them 5 many people are shocked and they probably think that I'm a crazy cat lady. One co-worker even said that my place probably smells because I have so many cats. I blew it off because she's rude to everyone at work.

Catherinedana
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Another question I get a lot is "How many cats do you have?" When I tell them 5 many people are shocked and they probably think that I'm a crazy cat lady.

I rather enjoy the shock of telling folks that I share my home with 11 birds. . .although it is often followed by the question "Do you have any children?" and when I say no, I either get the question I posted before or a knowing smile. . .whatever. . .

I occasionally get someone who says, "I had a bird for a while but it [fill in the blank with] was too messy, was too noisy, was too much work, not nice and bit, didn't match the carpet, etc. I gave it away (or let it go :mad:). How do you deal with so many birds?'

To this I can answer, "My birds are "throw aways" and they are delightful creatures whose lives I saved from folks like you who did not stop to think before your brought another living creature into your home. I love each and every one of them and would never give any of them up." After which they do not question again and sometimes do not talk to me again. . . :D

Guess the truth hurts. . .

lvpets2002
11-17-2009, 11:44 AM
:o I just remembered two Very Rude Questions..

(1) Was from a Vet Clinic that I was thinking about using.. I was to have my Calitt spayed at 6 months so I ask the Desk Clerk about the place & ect for my baby to be spayed.. The Clerk ask Why Was I so Concerned Since I Just Had A Cat?? Oh I was so Mad :mad: && Stormed out of the place..

(2) Was from a Ex Vet.. When I adopted my Autumn which she is one eyed.. My Ex Vet Ask Why did I want to Adopt a Syclop (a one eyed monster)?? Again I was so Mad & just Beside myself.. Again he is my ExVet..

Genny
11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
The perfect answer for that "why are you still single?"

WHY get married and make only one man happy.........?

I'd rather be single and make them ALL happy!

(that was my answer when I was young and out in the singles scene and it shut them up fast!)

hahaha that's funny :p

Twisterdog
11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Maybe more like, "How can you live in a house with all those kids?" rather than dogs, cats or birds!!!! :rolleyes: :D

MY kids love me unconditionally no matter what I look like, how much money I have or what kind of car I drive and do not expect to be driven by limosine to the school prom.

OK - 'nough said.

Not trying to start a fight, really ... but I have to say I was a little surprised and disappointed by this post. This is a thread about the rude and hurtful things others have said to us, and IMO, this post is both of those things.

It is indeed rude and hurtful when someone says derogatory things about our dogs, cats, birds, etc. I can empathise with pet owners who do not have children, having to field rude questions about things that are none of their business. However, is it not exactly the same thing to ridicule and put down people who have children simply because you chose not to have them?

I don't own birds or cats, but I am interested in others' birds and cats, and happy for them because they have something they love. I wouldn't criticize you, or tell you all the reasons my dogs/children/snakes are better than your cats/rabbits/birds. Respect and empathy is a two-way street.

Just seems to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black. "It's rude when people say derogartory things about my birds/dogs/cats, but I feel no qualms about saying derogatory things about their children." :(

cassiesmom
11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
I've been asked the same question twice by this jerk in the mall here. It's one of those center kiosk (sp) things and the sales people are trying to sell their product. In this case it was these neck warmer wrap things. Anyway, I'm walking becide Quinn, and, not to toot my own horn or anything, but she's a stunning child. He looks at her, then looks at me, and then at her and gasps and says, "Oh my goodness, is she YOURS?" When I reply, "yes", he says (after looking at me then back at her, "WOW, she's gorgeous!". Yes I am aware she's a gorgeous child but Mister, I'm not a total hag. It's really insulting. That same man has said that same thing to me twice. I avoid that whole kiosk now. She is a pretty child, and I know I'm not a supermodel or anything, but I'm not a total hag and I am capable of producing a pretty child. GRRRR. It's so insulting. They way he says it, he's obviously surprised that such a pretty child is the product of me. I can't tell exactlly where he's from, but he has a strong accent (maybe Italian), so maybe in the country he's from, it's OK to be so rude.

I had a very embarrassing moment around that exact phrase. At my 15th year college reunion a friend was there with her daughter. Not an extremely close friend; we were in a couple of the same classes, did some group presentations together, that sort of thing. And she was coming toward me with a small child - we greeted one another and she said, "And this is (child's name)." I responded, "Wow! Is she yours?" Meaning, what happened - the last time we saw one another you were single with no intention of ever marrying, and now here you are with a child, and not a baby but a child who is walking and talking and yes, that is a wedding band on your left hand, so I guess the plans to remain single went bye-bye! I spoke before I thought. It was extremely embarrassing. Now I am careful to greet friends' and former classmates' children by saying, "Hello, it is very nice to meet you, (child's name)."

And adoremydogs, I always enjoy seeing pictures of Quinn! :)

cassiesmom
11-17-2009, 07:39 PM

RICHARD, what time is Thanksgiving dinner at your house?

Catherinedana
11-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Just seems to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black. "It's rude when people say derogartory things about my birds/dogs/cats, but I feel no qualms about saying derogatory things about their children." :(

You are absolutely right. . .I finally got the chance to vent about all the years of getting questioned about my choice to be childless. Since I did not personally attack you and was responding to a blog by Richard, I would hope that you do not take it personally. I was attempting to make a joke of the issue (although a rather sarcastic one)>

This is a safe place to discuss and I allowed myself to feel safe enough to say what was on my mind, but will watch my words in future.

Cheers!
Cathy

RICHARD
11-18-2009, 07:12 PM
RICHARD, what time is Thanksgiving dinner at your house?

All, as in all day.;)

-------------------------

Here's a great 'neutral' answer to a question that some Rude Butthead asks.

Stop the conversation, but a look on your face like you are thinking then say,
"No one has ever asked me that, Let me get back to you with an answer."

Then move on.

You do not owe anyone the time of effort if they insult you like that.

Medusa
11-18-2009, 08:21 PM
All, as in all day.;)

-------------------------

Here's a great 'neutral' answer to a question that some Rude Butthead asks.

Stop the conversation, but a look on your face like you are thinking then say,
"No one has ever asked me that, Let me get back to you with an answer."

Then move on.

You do not owe anyone the time of effort if they insult you like that.

Usually, if someone asks me a question that's none of their business, I simply smile. If they then ask "Did you hear me?", I answer "Yes, I heard you. I'm ignoring you".

RICHARD
11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Usually, if someone asks me a question that's none of their business, I simply smile. If they then ask "Did you hear me?", I answer "Yes, I heard you. I'm ignoring you".

LOL,
That reminds me of the answer we used to use growing up.....
"who wants to know?":)

pomtzu
11-19-2009, 06:06 AM
LOL,
That reminds me of the answer we used to use growing up.....
"who wants to know?":)

The one I remember using in my younger day was: "Are you writing a book? If so, leave that chapter out." :p

cloverfdx
11-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Bahahaha me too, it does not bother me though lol.

I have a bit of a pot guts at the moment so i am waiting for someone to ask when the baby is due :o.

Cincy'sMom
11-19-2009, 07:47 AM
About 2 years ago, I lost a good del of weight. One of my co-workers asked,

"Now that you have lost weight, are you going to have babies?"

Huh?

smokey the elder
11-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Over 20 years ago, I liked to wear baggy peasant blouses, because they were cool (I had undiagnosed hyperthyroidism.) This jerk at work asked me more than once if I were pregnant. The 3rd time I told him the next time he harassed me we would have a visit with Human Resources. He shut his face after that.

The other one that sticks in my mind was when Smokey the Elder was diagnosed with cancer. When I shared this someone said, "So you're going to have her put to sleep?" I said, "Um...no. My pets are not disposable items." She apologized for her faux pas.

momcat
11-29-2009, 05:02 PM
When hearing that I'm divorced the very first thing people would say is "Did he get married again?" To this day I cannot understand why anyone would ask such an insensitive, rude question! My responses varied between "Why do you ask?" "It's none of your d..n business!" and "He stays out of my personal life and I stay out of his. You need to do the same!" I found the last to be the most effective and started using it exclusively.

Karen
11-30-2009, 10:34 AM
When hearing that I'm divorced the very first thing people would say is "Did he get married again?"

Wow, I cannot imagine asking that question, or even wondering that! You've gotta wonder what goes on in some people's brains!

Catty1
11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
"Did he get married again?" "Why? Do you want his phone number?" :D

Catherinedana
11-30-2009, 11:19 AM
When I split with my first husband, a "friend" (male) from work said to me, "I can't believe that you left him. . .he's such a nice guy! I always liked him so much!"

To which I replied, "Well, he's single now so go get 'em!"

Guess I have a bit of an attitude. . .:rolleyes:

pomtzu
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I too got a lot of ignorant statements/questions when my ex and I split:

"Wow - I always thought you were the perfect couple"....
Yup - looks can be deceiving.

"He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met".....
Sure - you didn't have to live with him.

"Who's idea was it to split up".....
At least we agreed on one thing.

"I saw him with another woman - is he going to marry her"....
Why don't you ask him, or her. If the answer is yes, convey your sympathies to the woman.

Catherinedana
11-30-2009, 12:24 PM
"He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met".....
Sure - you didn't have to live with him.

AMEN!! He even had my mother fooled. . .but she never saw him staggering around drunk. :(

Yes, I know. . .too much information. . .

redbird
11-30-2009, 12:48 PM

OK - 'nough said.

Oh I agree with you so much. I can hardly stand being around kids in my family, it's just the way I have always been. I am very uncomfortable around kids and certainly wouldn't want any of my own. I don't want to hurt any mother's feelings here but I am more attached to the four legged kids and always have been.

redbird
11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I thought of 2 more. A long time ago there was this man that lived down the hall from me and we'd usually leave for work at the same time. He'd say hello as he passed me and I'd say hello back. One day he asked me "Do you work?". I told him yes and I thought that was strange. He made a comment that I didn't look like I was dressed for work. At my work I don't need to be dressed up. I can wear jeans and tennis shoes. I work in a dental lab and it's very dusty and dirty there. I guess he just assumes that everyone should dress professionaly if they work. I'm glad that he doesn't live in my building any more.

Another question I get a lot is "How many cats do you have?" When I tell them 5 many people are shocked and they probably think that I'm a crazy cat lady. One co-worker even said that my place probably smells because I have so many cats. I blew it off because she's rude to everyone at work.

I would've answered, after her saying your place must smell with all those cats...Well you will never find out since you will never be invited over :D

pomtzu
11-30-2009, 01:01 PM
AMEN!! He even had my mother fooled. . .but she never saw him staggering around drunk. :(

Yes, I know. . .too much information. . .

I know what you're saying - my parents adored their son-in-law. They - like so many others - never saw his "other" side.

Catherinedana
11-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh I agree with you so much. I can hardly stand being around kids in my family, it's just the way I have always been. I am very uncomfortable around kids and certainly wouldn't want any of my own. I don't want to hurt any mother's feelings here but I am more attached to the four legged kids and always have been.

I got admonished for the post your are responding to . . . :(

momcat
11-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Wow, I cannot imagine asking that question, or even wondering that! You've gotta wonder what goes on in some people's brains!

I guess there are too many ignorant people running around loose. This thread certainly proves it :mad:

cassiesmom
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
One co-worker even said that my place probably smells because I have so many cats.

AARGHH!! (banging head on desk) What an awful thing to say!

phesina
11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
"Did he get married again?" "Why? Do you want his phone number?" :D

Excellent!

phesina
11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
When I split with my first husband, a "friend" (male) from work said to me, "I can't believe that you left him. . .he's such a nice guy! I always liked him so much!"

To which I replied, "Well, he's single now so go get 'em!"

Guess I have a bit of an attitude. . .:rolleyes:

Also excellent!

Cataholic
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I got admonished for the post your are responding to . . . :(

That isn't really accurate. You were 'admonished' for the pot calling the kettle black type comment- not expressing your desire to be child-free.

Redbird's desire to be child-free, or to love her pets more that other's children is not the same as Redbird telling a mother something offensive about the mother's child. There is a difference.

Catherinedana
12-02-2009, 11:57 AM
That isn't really accurate. You were 'admonished' for the pot calling the kettle black type comment- not expressing your desire to be child-free.

Redbird's desire to be child-free, or to love her pets more that other's children is not the same as Redbird telling a mother something offensive about the mother's child. There is a difference.

Whatever. . .

I also apologized for potentially insulting anyone. . .

RICHARD
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Whatever. . .

I also apologized for potentially insulting anyone. . .

"Allegedly" can be used in place of 'potentially'.;) They use that in the media all the time.:confused:

Cataholic
12-02-2009, 12:44 PM
You are absolutely right. . .I finally got the chance to vent about all the years of getting questioned about my choice to be childless. Since I did not personally attack you and was responding to a blog by Richard, I would hope that you do not take it personally. I was attempting to make a joke of the issue (although a rather sarcastic one)>

This is a safe place to discuss and I allowed myself to feel safe enough to say what was on my mind, but will watch my words in future.

Cheers!
Cathy

I might not have on the right glasses. I missed the apology.

It has NOTHING to do with potentially or allegedly insulting someone. It has to do with rude comments, be them about children or pets (or anything else).

I am not trying to 'start' anything. I was just clearing up the difference between what you had said, and what Redbird had said.

Catherinedana
12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm not going to get into something over this. We can start a thread about the rudest response that you ever received and put my answer first.

Cheers!

BitsyNaceyDog
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I had a very rude comment made to me over the weekend and I remembered this thread...

We saw my husband's boss and his wife over the weekend. I've only met them a couple times, but I don't like them at all. The FIRST thing the wife said to me was "how far along are you?", as she pat her belly (referring to my pregnancy). I said "almost half way". To which she replied "oh! You're big, you must eat too much". :eek: Now, I'm not a skinny girl to begin with and yes I have a little baby belling showing, but the way she said it made me seem like I was gigantic. The look on my husband's face when was one of pure shock. She caught us totally off guard and neither of us knew how to respond.

gini
12-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I had a very rude comment made to me over the weekend and I remembered this thread...

We saw my husband's boss and his wife over the weekend. I've only met them a couple times, but I don't like them at all. The FIRST thing the wife said to me was "how far along are you?", as she pat her belly (referring to my pregnancy). I said "almost half way". To which she replied "oh! You're big, you must eat too much". :eek: Now, I'm not a skinny girl to begin with and yes I have a little baby belling showing, but the way she said it made me seem like I was gigantic. The look on my husband's face when was one of pure shock. She caught us totally off guard and neither of us knew how to respond.

Well, isn't she precious?:D

Lori Jordan
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM

I too have been asked that,And with me i do get pretty angry,And it was my stepfather who said this to me,And i told him where to go and how to get there,There not just dogs,There my children...I have had many pets in my life,and they all have a place in my heart,whether there here or passed on.

Andie
12-15-2009, 11:35 PM
The two I get all the time are:

When are you and Dustin getting married? Why don't you just get married already?

and

When are you two having kids?

Miss Z
12-22-2009, 09:25 AM
The scene:

Friend's party, getting fairly late. I don't know an awful lot of people there so I'm just chatting in a corner with a few people that I do know. Guy comes up, breath heavy with the various beverages he has indulged himself in.

"Hey babes. I've heard all about you. If I'm good, can I get into Heaven?"

If any of you are Facebook friends with me, you'll understand.

:eek: :eek: :p

Medusa
12-22-2009, 09:32 AM
The scene:

Friend's party, getting fairly late. I don't know an awful lot of people there so I'm just chatting in a corner with a few people that I do know. Guy comes up, breath heavy with the various beverages he has indulged himself in.

That is face slap worthy! :mad:

beeniesmom
12-22-2009, 01:54 PM

It's always something!

When shopping for Laura late in the pregnancy, cashiers would ask, who I was shopping for, when I'd say "my little one who will be here in less than a month", they'd look at me and first ask if I was adopting..... when I'd tell them no and that I was expecting and ready to pop they would look at me shocked and say "You don't look pregnant at all".
:confused:

Taz_Zoee
12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
The scene:

That is face slap worthy! :mad:

I completely agree with Mary on this one. Unbelievable!!

sana
08-23-2010, 05:55 AM
I know its late for me to speak up. I never read this thread before, but the rudest Qs, you guys have been asked, are RUDE. Once my class fellow asked me, When did you last have a bath, your necks dirty and black. I got so angry because I had a bath the day before and my neck was red because of all the scrubbing.:mad: I told her that I had a bath the day before, maybe she needed an eyesight check up.:) I got so mad and many of my friends were right next to me. And when I looked, there was nothing on my NECK!:mad:

sana
08-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Another rude question. Its the rudest rudest ever,:rolleyes: it not actually a question its a statement by one of my family members. My love decreased for him then, he said, (the main part of the sentence) Sana has a rat face, Actually I am extremely skinny, but that's no reason to call me rat face. I have a normal round head. The guy said, Sana has a rat size face and stuff. I got so angry and felt so weird.:mad: I didn't like him that much later on. The same guy said. I didn't give Squirtle anything. Actually I forgot to tell the worker that he had to bring food for Squirtle. So, he said, you don't care about Squirtle that's why you forgot. I'm going to send Squirtle away. I got so angry, I started crying and my mom told that guy that I cared so much. It wasn't even proper morning and I would be there and then the guy said, ohh I didn't mean it.:confused::rolleyes: And when ever he asked me something I turned my back towards him and I didn't answer him the WHOLE night. He asked lots of questions. Not a single answer from me :D

moosmom
08-23-2010, 06:32 AM
I can't believe I didn't see this thread before.

Working in retail, you get ALL kinds of idiots.

I like what Laura's Babies said. PERFECT!!!!

cassiesmom
08-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Hmm, rudest question I've been asked? Probably when it comes to my hearing disability. "Can you hear?" in the wrong situation.

Countrywolf, is there a courteous way to ask? I am going to be volunteering at the information desk at church again this fall. We have hearing assist devices that worshipers can check out if they want one for the service. But, sometimes they just have a question or need certain information. The info desk is in the vestibule and it is noisy and busy with people coming and going; it's also a meeting place for kids and parents after Sunday school. I don't want to offend someone, but if they have a hearing impairment and a question, the info desk is not a good place to get an answer. The best I can do is to ask the person to move to the side of the desk, against the wall, which is a little calmer, so I can answer their question without 50 zillion kids running and hollering, people talking and laughing and hurrying in and out.

"Are you pregnant?" Uhmmm... NO! This is just how I'm built. And yes, I'm dieting and exercising.

jennielynn1970
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm not shy about telling people that I live at a nudist resort in summer, we have people from all walks of life there and people of every shape and size.

What I hate is when someone says, behind my back, "Can you believe SHE goes nude?!" I know I'm not small, but geez, how rude can you be?? One of the reasons I love Sunny Rest is because it's so free from those kinds of comments.

Alysser
08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
I work in the Entertainment Department at a theme park with characters.

Today, I was escorting a character who is much more feminine then the others)and some guy asked me if he could "squeeze her a$$". I said "that'd be a good way to get yourself kicked out of the park and sued for sexual harassment". People seem to think they can treat you differently when you're dressed in a costume.

finn's mom
09-02-2010, 12:55 AM
These weren't really rude, so much as just dumb. Clara is one, now, and a hairstylist at the salon asked why I didn't give Clara any of the candy that was at the front desk. I had taken a piece of Laffy Taffy for myself. I told her "Because she's one." Duh. And, then she proceeded to ask, "What? Did you at least give her a chocolate bunny at Easter? What are you going to do for Halloween?" First of all, she's ONE. It's August. Which means she was about 7 months old at Easter.

I'm sure there are people out there who give young infants chocolate bunnies for Easter and let their 14-month-olds pig out on Halloween candy, but I choose to believe that it's not the norm. Call it putting my head in the sand, but lalalalalalalalala I'm not listening! ;)

CatsMeow
09-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Well, the rudest question:

Why do you love animals so much!!!? They don't have no soul! They don't have any feelings! Stop loving animals!

And i said,

Get out of my way.

Rudest comment:

You're SO fat you can not walk through a small doorway!

But i'm quite skinny.

Other rude things:
Stop loving animals!
How can you live with a stupid CAT!?
It's just a MUTT!
Stop thinking about animals! Shut up!
*i'm talking about animals* SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carole
09-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Quite some years ago, when i had lost quite a bit of weight, i bumped in to a friend who was let us say rather larger than i ever was, first thing she said was Oh have you been sick you are so thin,? firstly i was not thin, just slim,and had worked really hard to get that way, and i looked fine,i now think she was just plain jealous.

dab_20
09-05-2010, 08:26 PM
These weren't really rude, so much as just dumb. Clara is one, now, and a hairstylist at the salon asked why I didn't give Clara any of the candy that was at the front desk. I had taken a piece of Laffy Taffy for myself. I told her "Because she's one." Duh. And, then she proceeded to ask, "What? Did you at least give her a chocolate bunny at Easter? What are you going to do for Halloween?" First of all, she's ONE. It's August. Which means she was about 7 months old at Easter.

I'm sure there are people out there who give young infants chocolate bunnies for Easter and let their 14-month-olds pig out on Halloween candy, but I choose to believe that it's not the norm. Call it putting my head in the sand, but lalalalalalalalala I'm not listening! ;)
:rolleyes: Well, I definitely agree with you! I know when I have children, they are certainly not going to get candy until they're older... and no soda except on special occasions. America is just raising another generation of unhealthy people!!

I can't even really think of a rude question I've been asked. I'm sure I have been plenty of times...

Bonny
09-05-2010, 09:38 PM
A neighbor called one morning & asked if I was taking a nap & it was 10:00 in the morning. It took a whole 8 rings for me to get to the phone. I was only doing the laundry, dishes, sweeping the floor, letting the dog out, cooking up some apple sauce. Dah! I get up at 6:00 every morning & my crazy neighbor sleeps in till 9:00. Maybe I should call her at 6:00 & ask her if she is taking a nap. :rolleyes:

Suki Wingy
09-07-2010, 11:22 AM
"I'm sorry but I just can't believe or understand why you would get THAT as a tattoo! You know that's permanent, right?"

I have a thylacine on my shoulder blade. It was my first tattoo and I really love it. Why should I have to have a good reason to have it as a tattoo. Mostly it was just aesthetic but I guess part of it was just to have something unique. I've had it over a year and my only regret concerning it at all is that I couldn't have gone to a more skilled artist who could have made the lines just a bit smoother.

CountryWolf07
09-07-2010, 02:26 PM
The two I get all the time are:

When are you and Dustin getting married? Why don't you just get married already?

and

When are you two having kids?

Ditto! Mike and I have been together for 4 years, and we aren't exactly 'ready' for marriage - We can't afford to move out just yet, even a wedding. It's been in the talks, though but eventually whenever the timing is right, it'll happen.

snakemama
09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
"Ew, how can you like snakes?!" -I feel the same way about babies, but I don't say that to parents!

"When are you due?" -I'm not even that big, but I carry most of it in my belly.

"When are you having kids?" UGH, just UGH!! I prefer my snakes, thank you. Why people want to stick heir nose into my sex life I have no idea.

tikeyas_mom
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
ive been asked alot of rude questions in my life haha
the most recent being "How Long do huskies live for? because yours seems to be getting up there in age hey?..."

I was pretty annoyed

GoldenLover
09-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I hate this one:
"How much did you spend on that? How can you afford that?"
Always get it from my parents.
NONEYA! (None of your business)

GoldenLover
09-08-2010, 03:24 PM
"I'm sorry but I just can't believe or understand why you would get THAT as a tattoo! You know that's permanent, right?"

I have a thylacine on my shoulder blade. It was my first tattoo and I really love it. Why should I have to have a good reason to have it as a tattoo. Mostly it was just aesthetic but I guess part of it was just to have something unique. I've had it over a year and my only regret concerning it at all is that I couldn't have gone to a more skilled artist who could have made the lines just a bit smoother.

LOL I had to google what a thylacine even was :-)

prechrswife
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
LOL I had to google what a thylacine even was :-)

*Raises hand* So did I. :)

Medusa
09-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I hate this one:
"How much did you spend on that? How can you afford that?"
Always get it from my parents.
NONEYA! (None of your business)

Yes, I don't like that one either, no matter how it's phrased. I've gotten "You must have a lot more money than I do" or "How much did that set you back for?" or "How expensive was it?" or the worst one "How much did they rape you for?" I HATE that one. I usually don't answer and if they ask me again, I say "I heard you. I'm just ignoring you". If someone prefaces their question with "I don't usually ask this but I'd like to know if it's in my budget", then I may tell them. Otherwise, as you say, NONEYA!

snakemama
09-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Yes, I don't like that one either, no matter how it's phrased. I've gotten "You must have a lot more money than I do" or "How much did that set you back for?" or "How expensive was it?" or the worst one "How much did they rape you for?" I HATE that one. I usually don't answer and if they ask me again, I say "I heard you. I'm just ignoring you". If someone prefaces their question with "I don't usually ask this but I'd like to know if it's in my budget", then I may tell them. Otherwise, as you say, NONEYA!

I don't understand that one either. My avatar snake is worth a lot of money and I get that a lot from other snake keepers. Um, no, I work retail, but I set aside a little money every month until I had enough to get him....it wasn't hard. Much like I've been setting aside a little every month since he was little and now that he's getting too big for his current enclosure I have enough set aside to get him his "grown up" cage.

Taz_Zoee
09-08-2010, 04:40 PM
*Raises hand* So did I. :)

Me too!!

I also get the "when are you getting married?" or "don't you want to get married?" questions a lot. The same questions but about children I get all the time too. I've started just saying NO instead of explaining anything.

pomtzu
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
My worst one is still "who left who" - referring to my ex and I splitting up!

A big NONEYA here too.....:D

If the truth be known - it was mutual :p

mrspunkysmom
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
For me, years ago when I worked in a convenience store.

Customer: "Isn't it scary working here, with all the robberies that happen?"

Me: " It usually doesn't bother me until someone brings it up."