PDA

View Full Version : Colleges, worth stressing over?

Alysser
11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I am in my junior year of High school, the most important year of my HS career. I hate school so much and I just cannot wait to graduate and get out of HS. I just want to leave already! I guess you could sort of call this a rant too.

My GPA last year was a 3.58 or something like that - which I didn't think was that bad. Chemistry brought me down because I was so terrible at it, so glad I am not taking Physics. You need a 3.75 to get into National Honor Society - guess I am out of luck on that one. My class rank is just embarrasing. :o I want to go to community college anyway. Now I am all stressed out over a few things, I really don't want to go to a college far away - but I know they open more doors the CC. I don't want to dorm away from home, I am too dumb to get scholarships anyway apparently. :rolleyes: My main problem is NOT knowing what I want to do with my life, I have no clue what I want to major in. I guess I have a basic idea..something with animals, particularly wildlife or agriculture. I am so stressed out over this - I don't want to jump into a major that I will later regret.

Any advice? Am I being Paranoid? :(

Casper
11-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I think the whole college-related subject should be something you think about, but I would try to avoid stressing over it. I know, I know - easier said than done.

First off, most colleges don't require you to select a major in the first year anyway, so just take classes that sound interesting and go from there. Don't worry about what you want to be "when you grow up". You are still young and something that may sound good this year may not be what you want next year. The majority of people I know that have graduated from college attained a degree that was not originally what they had set out for during that freshman year of college. Heck, I am not even certain I will stick with my major.

I was a slacker in high school. I think my GPA was 2.75 at most. I still managed to get a full ride thanks to my ACT score plus financial aid. I would say focus on getting a good ACT score (wait... the SAT is taken up north, right? I honestly have no idea... I might have just pulled that out of thin air)... it was my lifesaver and deciding factor on which college I chose.

In the end I decided to go to a private college instead of the technical college for the simple fact that they have a great art program. I am confident I made the right decision and feel that I am getting a better education. I am sure it varies depending on where you are, though... the technical college in my area is not too wonderful. I guess what I am trying to say is: go for the college that you think would best suit you.

Pfft, all this coming from someone who is only about to finish up their first semester of college. I really don't know much, but I do know the feeling of apprehension that comes with figuring out the whole college thing.

Good luck! You know I am always a PM away if you ever need anything.

caseysmom
11-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Here in California the UC's are pretty hard and competitive to get into, my daughter with a gpa of 4.0 may have a hard time, however the state colleges are much easier.

There is usually a state college that will guarantee your admittance if you have only a 3.0, and of course there is nothing wrong with a community college, thats the route I went the first two years, that took 5:D

Don't worry I hated high school but I loved college, its totally different and its really worth it.

Your school counselor can give you some more detailed advice on your specific area.

Genny
11-12-2009, 10:46 PM
You sound like me :cool: I have no idea what I wanna do either. You are not alone lol. I didn't like school either-and when I graduated I sure didn't wanna go to college. So-I didn't. Now I kinda think I want to, just cause if I don't I'm afraid later down the road a few years from now I could still be where I'm at now, and I want a good job that I'll be happy with, so just recently I've thought and considered going to college and deciding later on what I really wanna major in. I still have no clue! I love animals but I don't think I could be a vet. Besides when ever I carry my dogs to the vet I break out sometimes cause I'm allergic to cats and I guess it's all that cat hair floating around. So that probably wouldn't be the best thing for me :rolleyes: I really think I'd like being an x-ray tech. My mom's friend does that kind of work and she loves it. I also love photography-never really done any but take pictures of my animals and family, but still I think it would be cool to have a job doing it. Anyways-I still really don't know...I wish I did but I know what you mean...it's hard to decide and know what you wanna do... Good luck though w/ what ever you decide :)

Grace
11-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree with caseysmom - there is nothing wrong with a C.C. In fact, since you seem to have no clue as to what you want to do, a C.C. might be the best option.

You can take some basic classes, in subjects that interest you, and go from there.

CountryWolf07
11-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Go ahead! :) I went to a community college for two years, and got a lot of basic classes under my belt, and moved on to two state colleges and graduated from Ohio State with a BA in Art. Do what makes you comfortable. I was NOT ready to move away, live in the dorms when I was 18. I moved into the dorms when I was 20.

happylabs
11-13-2009, 07:08 AM
I think you should definitely go right after high school. If you wait, you may never go back. Community College is a great place to start. Get some of your basics out of the way. It is a big decision but you will survive. :)

Freedom
11-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Wait a minute -- you have a 3.58 GPA and that is a "bad" thing? Things must be quite competitive where you are! That is a fine GPA to do whatever you decide you WANT to do.

I agree with others, start with a CC and see how things develop.

I was a commuting student in college, all 4 years, I have never lived in a dorm; but maybe there aren't any close enough for you to do that. I chose classes on M - W - F so I only drove in three days a week For FOUR YEARS! You CAN make things work the way you prefer.

(The first semester, I had to drive in Thursdays for one hour- and- a- half class; the college had a language requirement and language classes met 4 days per week.I got that out of the way quickly!)

College is much more flexible than HS.

Oh and I also agree with happy labs, being a student is a life style. I went straight through, I just knew once I had a job and money I would never go back to that life style again. :D

Karen
11-13-2009, 09:55 AM
The main thing is to choose a school with a wide range of majors, so you can take classes and then decide. There are thousands of colleges out there, and there's nothing wrong with starting at a community college if that is where you'd be most comfortable. Just do your best in classes now, and don't stress about picking a college major. As others have mentioned, many colleges don't even let you officially declare as major until you are a sophomore anyway.

MoonandBean
11-13-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree with Freedom. A 3.58 is pretty good. It sounds like someone is a little hard on herself :)

I loved college but more for the "college life" than being a student. It wasn't until I was older and knew what I wanted to do that I really enjoyed school.