PDA

View Full Version : Alert: Fight for Tax Break for Pet Care Costs‏

Anikaca77
11-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I got this e-mail from the ASPCA. Figured I'd pass it along.

https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2605&JServSessionIdr003=loyusr92f1.app28a

Dear Animal Advocates,

Introduced by Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, H.R. 3501—known as the Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (“HAPPY”) Act—is a federal bill that would reward responsible pet parents by allowing them to keep more money in their pockets come tax time.

We all want to give our animal companions the best care we possibly can, but it seems that pet care costs are always on the rise—and these days, it’s harder than ever to stretch the family budget. That’s why the ASPCA supports H.R. 3501, which would amend U.S. tax code to allow qualifying pet care expenses, including veterinary care, to be tax-deductible.

This means that when you prepare your income taxes, money you spent on pet care that year would count as non-taxable income—and you can deduct up to $3,500 per year!

Please help us support the HAPPY Act, H.R. 3501.

What You Can Do
Visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center online to send an email to your U.S. representative and urge him or her to support and cosponsor the HAPPY Act, H.R. 3501.

Thank you for supporting this bill and being part of our team!

Catherinedana
11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
This scares me a bit because I am worried about the crazies who would do what it takes to get a tax deduction. Like foster parents who take in the kids just to get the money. . .you know what I mean? :(

As it is now, people have companion animals because their lives would be incomplete without them, regardless of the expense.

Anikaca77
11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Good Point. I guess I was just thinking I've spent close to $2,000 this year and it would be nice to get some of it back.

Vet care is so expensive but my vet does work with me which does help but rescuing a cat I think is most of my expenses this year. But I don't think I would of done it any differently.

:)

Melissa

Laura's Babies
11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
I would imagine you would have to furnish reciepts of what you sent to get that deduction, I doubt they will just take someones word for it, especially on the big stuff like vet bills..

Anikaca77
11-13-2009, 06:55 AM
True-

I usually keep all of my receipts for vet bills so I can look back and find out what they did to my cats. I have recently started an excel spreadsheet and created a sheet for each cat so I can keep track of the expenses and what not.

It would be nice to get a deduction but I don't know if that would ever happen.

Melisa

I would imagine you would have to furnish reciepts of what you sent to get that deduction, I doubt they will just take someones word for it, especially on the big stuff like vet bills..

sasvermont
11-13-2009, 07:53 AM
As much as I would love to have a deduction for the boat load of money I spend on my cats' health and welfare, I think the people here in the USA have much bigger fish to fry, if you will.

The bottom line is that if you cannot afford the upkeep and care of a pet, you should not have one/them. I know this year I have treated a couple of eye infections with one cat of mine, rather than take it to the vet, to save a little money. Since the eye condition was one I recognized and already had meds for, it wasn't an issue. We were lucky.

I cannot afford anymore than three cats. Plain and simple. The food alone is expensive.

I would love to see more funding for spaying and neutering.... although some people just never get it about that topic.

So, I think the idea of having tax deduction for pet care would go no where fast.

aTailOf2Kitties
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
this idea has been around for over 10 years and it's still just that... an idea.

lizbud
11-13-2009, 04:43 PM
As it is now, people have companion animals because their lives would be incomplete without them, regardless of the expense.

I would hope so, but in reality, people are abandoning pets, or they
turn them in for adoption. The economy is so bad, it is affecting everyone
and their pets. This really makes the homeless animal problem worse.:(

I read an article about the proposed bill earlier this week and it sounds like it
could be a win-win situation for pets & their owners.:)