PDA

View Full Version : Why I am a Dillweed! A garden tale.

RICHARD
11-12-2009, 10:53 AM
LOL,

Dillweed is the sometimes unflattering name for people!

From the Urban Dictionary?

Dillweed -
Popularized by the Beavis and Butt-head TV series, "dillweed" is a derogatory term used to describe irrational/dumb behavior and low intellectual capacity, usually resulting in some sort of consequence.

Guilty as charged.

------------------------

I have grown some plants from seed this year and that has made me really proud of the fact that I can do it!

I grew tomatoes, squash, basil, dill, morning glory and rescued some really neat plants, succulents, a nice ficus and have grown an avocado tree from a pit.

I have pots that have been test beds for seeds. I also planted beets and carrots....with not too much luck. So I wait, then toss some more seeds into the bucket/container....something will grow. I kinda slacked off putting labels on the containers because I know enough aboutg plants to keep track of them.

-------------------

It's really nice to go out and grab some basil and dill to add to my meals. I am proud of that plant and was able to toss the seeds from the flowering pot into another container and now have more basil plants.

My dill plant has been a disappointment. I've used it in soups, salads and other cooking and really wasn't too thrilled about it.

Last night I went out to grab some dill and basil for a soup I was making.

I got the basil and grabbed some of the dillweed- I usually carry a small pair of scissors to cut the herbs, but I was lazy and didn't carry them out with me.

I reached over, and tried to pinched a stem off with my nails...

I accidentally pulled out a whole stem of the plant and found a small orange root at the bottom.

It's a fricken CARROT!!!!

For the last two months I have been eating carrot fronds thinking they were dill weed.:D

Somewhere in the deal I got the containers mixed up and had been mistakenly using the carrot tops in an attempt to find that dill flavor I love so much....:rolleyes:

I don't know what happened to the dill plants! I really know what dill looks like, I think I was just having that Garden Euphoria that comes with all novice gardening.....

Anyway, I am off to repot the carrots in a little plot I have prepared.....

Ricky, Ricky, isn't that picky.
How does your garden grow?
No silver bells or cockleshells.
Do you know the number to Poison Control?:D

Karen
11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Oh, Richard - dill is much more delicate and more feathery than carrot leaves, and grows a whole lot taller, too!

Silly human, carrots are for bunnies, not soup!

RICHARD
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh, Richard - dill is much more delicate and more feathery than carrot leaves, and grows a whole lot taller, too!

Silly human, carrots are for bunnies, not soup!

Before you judge me?

What happened to the packet of seeds I planted?;)

I am going out to do yardwork and replant that bucket...photos to follow.

At least it wasn't RHUBARB I was looking for.;)

Marigold2
11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
I love dill, in fact I still have this huge one to pull out, it's all nasty now because it got frost. Two things about dill.
1) It spreads seeds and once you plant it you will never be able to get rid of it, I love dill so it's not a problem for me.
2) Dill taste great on French dressing. Try it.

RICHARD
11-12-2009, 11:21 AM
2) Dill taste great on French dressing. Try it.

LOL, I have to identify the plant, FIRST!:D:rolleyes::confused:

Thanks!

Pinot's Mom
11-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Richard, this is dill; dill, this is Richard. Play nice, now. ;)

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/images/dill3.jpg

RICHARD
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM
LOL, I did find some scraggly dill I was growing in a planter that I have by the door!

Thanks for the introduction.....

And some pics of my little garden and my transplanting those dil...carrots!:eek::)

Cinder & Smoke
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I kinda slacked off putting labels on the containers because I know enough about plants to keep track of them.

-------------------

My dill plant has been a disappointment.
I've used it in soups, salads and other cooking and really wasn't too thrilled about it.

I accidentally pulled out a whole stem of the plant and
found a small orange root at the bottom.

It's a fricken CARROT!!!!

For the last two months I have been eating carrot fronds thinking they were dill weed.:D

And it was a DWARF CARROT, to boot!

:D

RICHARD
11-12-2009, 02:42 PM
And it was a DWARF CARROT, to boot!

:D

You gotta be careful...I get the feeling that there is some "Small Carrot" group out there that may take exception?:eek::o:)

Pinot's Mom
11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey, Mister, that's a VERTICALLY CHALLENGED CARROT group - and don't you forget it!!

Queen of Poop
11-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Richard. I've not laughed so hard in years!!!

Karen
11-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Actually those are just young normal carrots. I don't know if they will grown once they've been transplanted, though. We used to grow these short stubby carrots called "Danver's Half-longs" and those are not they!

Richard, next time you're at the store, check out the leaves on the fresh dill, you'll see the difference!

RICHARD
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Actually those are just young normal carrots. I don't know if they will grown once they've been transplanted, though. We used to grow these short stubby carrots called "Danver's Half-longs" and those are not they!

Richard, next time you're at the store, check out the leaves on the fresh dill, you'll see the difference!

I remember the packet said that they would grow malformed if I transplanted them....nothing like an internet science project, eh?

I'll be on the look out, I have to shop tomorrow.:eek:

karyn674
11-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Richard you're hlarious!

Indeed your carrots are bonsai carrots!! Lol!

Dill is also great with fish

RICHARD
06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I got to grow some dillweed!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af68/xxlt/dill001-1-1.jpg?t=1277250408
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af68/xxlt/dill002.jpg?t=1277250541

I'll get it right, someday?

Daisy and Delilah
06-22-2010, 08:53 PM
HILARIOUS!!!! I can see the mistake. I also think they look very much alike. Hopefully, the carrot tops have improved your vision so you can better identify the herb the next time.

lol lol lol :D :D :D