PDA

View Full Version : Coworkers!

catnapper
11-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Good grief, I work with a bunch of infantile idiots. We had to hire two new sales people. They are like superstars -- their sales skills are amazing. Which means they are kicking sales butt and leaving our top performers in the dust.

I'm happy for the new people and am encouraging them. I wish I could say the same for the top performers (who are performing so bad that it seems like they've forgotten how to sell!)

Their reactions amaze me.

One man has taken to throwing temper tantrums that actually scare us. I called hubby one night to come to work so I wouldn't be alone with him while he ranted. He's downright rude and nasty to the new salespeople.

The other woman is incredibly jealous but is taking the route of "keep your enemies close" and is trying to get the new woman to turn against me and the temper tantrum guy (but its not hard to turn them against him - he's doing a fine job of that humself). I caught her whispering to the new woman yesterday about how I act like I'm management.... ummmm..... I'm not, and I know I'm not. I confronted her calmly as soon as all the customers were out of the store. I was VERY proud of myself for doing that, because 6 months ago I would have kept quiet and fumed about it. I guess I was intent on nipping the jealous backstabbing in the bud, since I don't want the new woman to have a negative opinion of me. Its funny though.... the person complaining that I act like management ALWAYS comes to me for answers for everything, as if I were management :rolleyes:

That brings me to another thing: The former assistant manager left to become a full time mom last month. The poor manager has been stressed big-time since her departure. I'd LOVE to ask the big boss if I could be the store designer AND assistant manager. Do you think they'd allow me to accept additional responsibility? We certainly could use the boost in pay.

happylabs
11-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Oh my yes. Co-workers can drive you nuts some time.

I'd say ask your big boss about combining your duties. It can't hurt to ask.

I work in an office and have a co-worker who doesn't like staples that are not completely flat. He sits in his office with a hammer and pounds staples flat on his documents. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
11-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I see that in my crew too... One guy we have is super lazy, get others to do his work, sits and points "get this for me, get that for me, throw this away for me" and does stuff like that all day, encourages the people he works with to not work so hard.. The oldest guy on the crew works circles around him and everybody else. So the older guy is the target of a lot of put downs and criticizem.. That lazy so and so has turned the whole crew against the older hard working guy and it has made me SO mad! It is just SO obvious what the lazy guy is doing and I feel so sorry for the older guy and how he is being treated.

The time is coming that someone needs to rat him out because it is ruining our crew.

Catherinedana
11-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Work is such a crazy, artificial atmosphere! It makes you deal with people that you would normally not have any contact with and even avidly avoid in some cases. But I have learned a lot of people skills from the job I currently have and it showed me that I can be a bit of a pain as well. Thought I was perfect and that the company should revolve around me until something that my supervisor said made me realize I was behaving like a brat.

Try to look at the lessons you can learn, count your money when you get paid and don't let it interfere with what's really important!

Go for the promotion - the worse thing he can say is no. But it might plant a seed and next time he will say YeS!

moosmom
11-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Too bad you missed the "bitch slap a co-worker day" a couple of weeks ago. Eileen (momcat) told me about it. Unfortunately, I would've loved a "bitch slap a customer day".

Nomilynn
11-12-2009, 09:31 AM
That brings me to another thing: The former assistant manager left to become a full time mom last month. The poor manager has been stressed big-time since her departure. I'd LOVE to ask the big boss if I could be the store designer AND assistant manager. Do you think they'd allow me to accept additional responsibility? We certainly could use the boost in pay.

I would say definately tell them you are interested. It shows your initiative and makes them take notice :)

Taz_Zoee
11-12-2009, 09:45 AM
I also say it doesn't hurt to ask about the assistant manager position.

I also work with idiots. But I have so many stories I don't have time to type it all out. So we'll just leave it at that.

Cataholic
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
I must be in the minority! I work with a great group of ladies. Three have been here 20 plus years, two of us, going on 12, and 2 five'ish. We all get along, 99% of the time, and considering the stressful environment- that says a lot!

catnapper
11-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I called the former assistant manager this morning - we're having lunch together in a bit. I'm going to ask her what she thinks of me asking. I just need a bit of encouragement :o She'll be completely honest with me. I know she thinks I won't make a good manager because I back down so easily in order to avoid fights (BUT I'm getting MUCH better at standing my ground... though I still have a lot of work to do in that area.)

Cataholic
11-12-2009, 10:01 AM
I called the former assistant manager this morning - we're having lunch together in a bit. I'm going to ask her what she thinks of me asking. I just need a bit of encouragement :o She'll be completely honest with me. I know she thinks I won't make a good manager because I back down so easily in order to avoid fights (BUT I'm getting MUCH better at standing my ground... though I still have a lot of work to do in that area.)

Change your attitude on this for a moment. Instead of saying that you back down from conflict, say that you back away or off from conflict. That you are a natural conflict avoider. That can be a huge benefit, really. Someone that backs down or away from conflict also could be said to stand back from conflict. That can allow you time to re-think a strategy.

I couldn't back down from conflict if I tried. It just doesn't tear me up, make me nervous, etc. I actually like conflict, as I like working through issues, not around. I am lazy, I think.

catnapper
11-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I must be in the minority! I work with a great group of ladies. Three have been here 20 plus years, two of us, going on 12, and 2 five'ish. We all get along, 99% of the time, and considering the stressful environment- that says a lot!

Gosh, if it wasn't for the two I'm writing about, it would be the same in my store. Actually, hubby and I have gone out socially with Mr. Temper Tantrum. His tantrums have taken me by surprise to say the least.

The manager and I are great friends. He schedules his days as much with me as possible because he says I help keep him sane. I miss the old assistant manager so much because she and her husband have become great social friends. I miss seeing her in work. Well, like I said, I do have lunch with her today, so its not as if we don't socialize anymore.

Mr. Temper Tantrum (Mr. T for short) has bickered and fought with Ms. Jealousy (Ms. J for short) since day 1. They love to snip at each other. The funny thing is they are EXACTLY alike. Both very driven, very competetive, very lonely, and very insecure. I laugh when Ms. J complains about him for (fill in the blank), because its inevitable that 10 minutes later, Mr. M will make the very same complaint of Ms. J :rolleyes:

catnapper
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I couldn't back down from conflict if I tried. It just doesn't tear me up, make me nervous, etc. I actually like conflict, as I like working through issues, not around. I am lazy, I think.

Thats what makes you a great lawyer! :D

Cataholic
11-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Thats what makes you a great lawyer! :D

Well, I am sure if we give this enough time, I can get someone from somewhere else post in the negative on that. But, I am what I am (and I like spinach). It is just more that I can argue vehemently about a topic/subject without having an emotional investment in it. I blow up and blow over in about ten seconds. Perhaps it is that I am missing a soul. :o

Marigold2
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Times are tough and those of us blessed with good jobs want to hold on to them no matter what. When I have a bad day it's mostly the patients not my co-workers thankfully. I just think about being home with my family and pets. Work is work, it's what I do not who I am. When I leave I try very hard to put that part away and just focus on family. It's what gets me through some tough days. Good luck to you.

kitten645
11-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I too am blessed that I love the people I work with. I don't socialize with the people I'm directly responsible for. That is really more an age/life situation. We are rarely off at the same time. One is married with a young child. Etc:p
I also dislike conflict and I'm a really good manager so don't let that discourage you. I really dislike the drama involved. I don't think management should be about conflict but direct and honest dealings with those you are responsible for. I think your manager is not doing a good job if s/he is allowing these two to ruin the environment. Next time either of them come *itching to you, I'd just say, "I'm not interested." I think temper tantrums are completely inappropriate at work and would say so. It's called anger management. :rolleyes:
Go for the promotion! Worse that can happen is that they say no. At least it shows some interest in your job!

Cinder & Smoke
11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
{Great Lawyer ...}
Well, I am sure if we give this enough time,
I can get someone from somewhere else post in the negative on that.

:D
>snikker<

Careful what you *wish* for, Joh ...
These screens have EYES! :eek:

Wanna bet on how long it may take? :p

:D