PDA

View Full Version : Ownership/care of feral cats (and dogs)?

RICHARD
11-11-2009, 02:07 PM
This has ticked me off since it happened and I need some counsel on it.

-------------

Back during warmer weather, my brother took his dogs from the house.

Both dogs had ticks up the wazoo. He had moved from the property and when I began to 'care' for the dogs he blew up and took them because I bought them flea collars.

No problem, but the ticks and fleas were left behind. As the kitties learned there were no more dogs around they began to hang out and picked up the insects.

I began to water down the area, spread bleach and other stuff to kill off the infestation. I bought two more collars for Ms. Kittie and the Calico cats-who are ferals.

-----------------------

Two days later they cats were back, sans collars. I did not tighten them up to choke the cats nor did I leave them loose enough for them to get hung up in their travels.

I don't care about the cost of the collars-it's the idea that someone would have taken them off.....as a sign of ownership? I understand they may have been removed by the neighbors-as I come and go I sometimes see the cats next door- they do parade back and forth. I know that by putting the collars on the cats I may have overstepped neighborly boundaries, but I still am a little ticked about this.

Anyway, Am I making too much of this?

:confused::eek::mad:

Pinot's Mom
11-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I may be oversimplifying things, but have you asked the neighbors about them?

RICHARD
11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I may be oversimplifying things, but have you asked the neighbors about them?

I don't have a good relation ship with the adult male.
You answered my question.

I posted a thread about what he did to his kid's dog once before.

If the dog got out of the gate he would chse it back into the yard with swats and kicks. He also ran it over then fought the kids about taknig it to the vet's.

I never even thought about him having anything to do with the animals.:(

-------

I don't talk to him or acknowledge him because he's a creepy, nosy dude.

LOL, I have to plan my yard work so that when he leaves or is in his front year.....

He'll come out and 'make work' so he's by the fence where you are standing.
The people across the street had a falling out with him because he will walk into your yard and start to do your yard work with out being asked,

He then spends the day bringing beer with him and sitting on your proch until he stumbles back to his house.:eek:

Laura's Babies
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
How about putting advantage on them... One 55# dog one will treat 5 cats.. I'd make sure the neighbord know I was planning to do that so it they have owners, they wouldn't get treated twice.

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I may be oversimplifying things,
but have you asked the neighbors about them?

I think I'd try the "ask" approach.

"ASK" the neighbor if they noticed the NEW flea collars that you put on the Kitties.
Suggest the collars might be "laying around" where the Kids "slipped out" of them.

"Joint Custody" of feral Kitties may be difficult - especially if the Other Party
isn't soo keen on "sharing".

Have you asked ED about his thoughts on sharing his HOUSE with the Kids?
If the KIds stop showing up at the neighbors ... well, problem solved.

Hope they (Kitties) all learn to *Fight Nice*!

:p
-----------------
EDIT:

Just read your last post RE: da Neighbor.
Forget the "tactful approach" ...

Work it out with ED; and then move 'em all inside!

Cataholic
11-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I thought mixing dog and cat pest control stuff was dangerous???

catmandu
11-12-2009, 03:48 PM
There are some Cat and Dog products that cant be mixed but Advantage from what My Vet tells me is the same, you just use more on a Dog , and only so much depending of the size and weight of your Cat.
:):):)
And I have those issues a lot with Porch Cats as someones not caring for thier Cats and there are more Cats who are dead now from FELV and FIP or careless drivers.:(:(:(
And sadly I seem to have to be the one who calls in Animal Control for the Momma to be like Scrappy Apple and Katherine Lee Sterling, and Karina Angel.:)
Thank God I got them in where they can have thier Babies safely.
:love::love::love:

Freedom
11-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Cats -- and especially cats used to being outdoors -- can get collars caught on shrubbery. They are pretty good and learning to escape! If the collar has the safety breakaway snap, it is pretty easy, too. But I don't think flea collars have that type of catch.

So you may be "barking" up the wrong tree re the neighbor.

I liked the idea of bringing them all IN, and even the idea of using a spot on rather than a collar. Flea collars are not very effective.

If you can handle the cats to put on a collar, you should be able to manage the topical stuff. It does cost a bit more.

And as someone pointed out, products are labeled DOG, CAT, DOG AND PUPPIES, CAT AND KITTENS, DOG CAT PUPPY AND KITTEN. Make sure you use the right ones.

columbine
11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't talk to him or acknowledge him because he's a creepy, nosy dude.

I know - put a collar on HIM. The "invisible fence" kind, that zaps him when he crosses onto your property!

Love, Columbine