PDA

View Full Version : What Pet Talk means to me

anna_66
11-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I've been reading how a few of our long time members think PT is no longer like it used to be. I'm sure it's not, things change. Like the fact that I don't post very often (although I always lurk).
My life, like a lot of other peoples have changed. Myself, I work more than I used to and don't have as much time to post. But the one thing that will never change is all the friends I've made here. Your all my second family and I can't imagine what life would be like without you all and PT.

If your ever thinking how bad things are here and you want to leave just look back on some of the threads you and others have posted. All the love that's put into them.
I was looking back at one that means the most to me. The one about my beloved Angus (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=58012&highlight=memorial). So many wonderful and thoughtful people put their hearts into what they said.

Let's put aside our differences and agree to disagree.

A BIG thanks to all of you here at PT for listening to me.
Anna

moosmom
11-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Anna,

Great post! I totally agree. Thanks for putting it so eloquently.

RICHARD
11-10-2009, 02:30 PM
The heart of PT will never change.

And with any large family?

We fight, we cry and we laugh and end up at the same table to take in whatever part of PT that nourishes us.

PT got me through one of the hardest times of my life. I've taken and put back in on this site.

I'll be danged if I let go of all the real special things I have seen and participated in by being a member.

Rock on PT.;)

Suki Wingy
11-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing, and you know what? Lots of kids have grown up on this site, myself included. There are many people my age who don't post much any more, and it's probably just because life got a hold of them. I barely have time to myself anymore but I still try to at least lurk, where as before I had no job and lived at home so I had an abundance of free time.

Taz_Zoee
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Very well said Anna. And your link about Angus made me revisit my thread about my RB Taz kitty. I didn't even get through the second page and had to stop because I am at work and the tears were beginning to flow again. But I will finish reading it when I get home tonight.

Thank you. And thank you to Karen and Paul for such a wonderful place.

Daisy and Delilah
11-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you so much, Anna. I miss seeing alot of members but I know you are all out there somewhere, lurking and keeping up with latest developments.
We have been through alot together on this board. Just think what it would have been like if we were actually living in the same towns with each other. So much love we have for people and pets we have never met. It's incredible.

Much like we experience with our immediate family members at times, we go through trials and tribulations. Eventually, we resolve issues and move forward.

Anna, you are one of the first people I came to know through your beloved Angus. A story that would bring a person with the hardest of hearts to tears. I have always known you are one of the sweetest people we have here. We all grieved over Angus, right along with you and Mark. Every single time I see a Rottie, I think of Angus.

I don't like believing that more members will leave. I know things change and we can't all be here as much as we once were. I really hope anyone that has decided to leave thinks about the love, compassion, and family we have here and comes back to the community. I don't think there is another board out there like this one. Can we be one big happy family again? :D

K9karen
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Amen!

RICHARD
11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Can we be one big happy family again? :D

I volunteer to sit at the kiddie table!:)

Alysser
11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Great thread, Anna. :) I am really happy you posted this.

You're absolutely right. If I ever left, I don't think I'd be able to stay away for too long. My life has changed a whole lot FOR THE BETTER since I've come onto pettalk. You're thread about Angus is heartbreaking, but all the same it's amazing seeing the response of so many "family" members who are pouring their hearts out. Everyone supported me so much when Sassy died, it was so nice to come on pettalk and not be made fun of for being heartbroken over "just a dog".

This forum is amazing - it really is different from other forums. :) I am very happy to be a part of it..

I hope all the people who leave come back, because they really are missing out.

Hellow
11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
It's funny, I never really think about it, but Pet Talk was one of my first forays into the Internet world. It was where I learned a lot of the maturity that is mostly non-existent online, and it also set the stage for my exploration of computers and the Internet as a whole.

Now look where I am. Programmer and Web Designer, Official Ubuntu member, Linux and Open Source Software enthusiast, and computer hardware expert. A lot of the people in the communities I am in say that I act much more mature online than most teens do.

And it all mostly started with a Google search of the key words "pet forum".

kokopup
11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I am a relative newcomer to PT, joining less that a year ago. I don't have the good old days to compare to but have found the PT I know to be a very loving close group. I am proud to be a part of it. I may not be aware of all the conflicts that take place on PT but the minor squabbles that I have seen are normal in any family.

Pet Talk has become an integral part of my everyday life, and I hope it will be a part for many years to come. Thank You Karen and Paul for a great site.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Great thread idea, Anna.:)
I am one who 'grew up' on PT. I joined in 2001, so I was 11. I'm 19 now, and in college.
I have met SO MANY wonderful, kind-hearted people on here, and I thoroughly enjoy 'hearing' about their beloved pets, kids, and families. I also enjoy reading all the funny stories, and funny things that have happened.
Thank you, Karen & Paul! Job well done!

Genny
11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Anna, I'm glad that you posted this thread!

I don't know when I actually first joined pettalk. I know it's been a while. I think about 3 years ago when I was 18.

Anyways this is my favorite site to go to on the computer. Somedays I'll come home and not even wanna get on the computer, but I'll atleast take a minute to see what's up on pettalk :D

Everyone has always been so nice here-anytime I've ever had a problem you guys have always been there to talk w/ me about it and help me out and I appreciate it so much! I know sometimes we disagree on things, but hey everyone has their own opinions-we'd all be pretty boring if we all thought the same thing, wouldn't we? lol :cool:

But to sum it all up you guys are great! I've met lots of nice people who really care and love their animals to death. And I would be crazy to ever leave here and not come back!

Daisy and Delilah
11-10-2009, 11:10 PM

Ok. Whatever you want bro.:)

Let me thank you both too, Karen and Paul. Without you guys, we wouldn't have this board.

Cinder & Smoke
11-10-2009, 11:16 PM
:)

I've been reading how a few of our long time members think PT
is no longer like it used to be.
I'm sure it's not, things change...

But the one thing that will never change is all the friends I've made here.
Your all my second family and I can't imagine what life would be like
without you all and PT.

Let's put aside our differences and agree to disagree.
Anna

Amen to these beautiful thoughts.

Let's all be Kind to one another, post when we can, and Enjoy the Fellowship
that's made Pet Talk the Wonderful place that it is.

/s/ Phred

krazyaboutkatz
11-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Great thread Anna.:D

PT was the first forum that I ever joined and I don't think that I could ever leave. I've met so many wonderful people and I've learned so much more about cats which has really helped me with my own cats.:) PT has also helped me with the passings of both my Pepper and Starr and with Storm's PU surgery or even when one of my cats have been sick. Thanks again Karen and Paul for creating such a wonderful pet forum with the most caring people that you could ever meet.:)

RockyRoad
11-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Like some of the others above, I also "grew" on Pet Talk. I was twelve when I joined, pretending to be a vet! :p I was typical young girl needing guidance, along with a few lessons in maturity. Now I am almost twenty, working full time as a Pharmacy Tech and training to become nationally certified. I lost my internet for quite some time, and with my busy life it`s been hard to post, but I always lurked and thought about everyone and their furkids each day! Without the guidance and advice many of the Pet Talkers here gave me throughout my teenage years, it surely would have taken me much longer to mature and learn many of the lessons I learned on here. Besides, how many other people I know can say they have cried, laughed and shared their most precious memories with people all around the world? Not many, that`s for sure. There are very few places on the 'net that are this wonderful. And in the state of things in the world right now, it is refreshing to know there`s always a place that one can always return to for a smile, or a {{hug}}, or a laugh. I`ve always been amazed and appreciative of all that Karen and Paul have done to make Pet Talk the "home away from home" to so many. Thank you very much!

Karen
11-11-2009, 12:49 AM
It has been amazing to be a part of so many peoples' lives, and vice versa! We never knew what to expect when we started Pet Talk, just wanted a place where people could communicate with each other, and congratulate each day's featured pets, and it has grown and grown! We are so glad when people stop by whom we haven't seen for a time. As long as we can, this place will always be here for you. Love you all!

Pinot's Mom
11-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I have been a member of PT for just over a year. It is the only "forum" I belong to or chat on AT ALL. I don't need to go elsewhere; this is where I feel I belong. I have grown very fond of many people and their pets; I've hosted a party that I hope will be at least annual and I've learned how these PT people can pull you through a rough patch. Yes, it is like family. It's funny (to me) the squabbles remind me of my husband and his siblings. They're all VERY DIFFERENT personally and especially politically, and things can get heated. I know they'll iron out; I know they will here, too. I know some of the people in those PT squabbles, and they're reasonable adults whe are solid in their convictions. They also have a bit of an imp in their personalities, so they push peoples buttons; it happens. As I said; it'll iron out.

Anna, thank you for the thread, it was needed. Karen and Paul; thank you for a great family!!
:love:Maggie

kokopup
11-11-2009, 08:24 AM
By Richard
I volunteer to sit at the kiddie table!

Yes, but will you only speak when spoken to.:D

Catherinedana
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
As a relative new-comer, I have to say that Pet Talk has been great fun. I hope that those PT-ers who are firmly entrenched in this site don't mind us folks comin' in and changing things. . .but as the song says, everything must change. New people are just another opportunity to learn, make a new friend or just giggle at some different silly pictures. I spend time on the Bird Channel as well and have made some very firm and wonderful connections there. Sites like PT and BC are so important to people like us who share their lives with their companion animals. There are many others out there who don't get it - I have been soundly ridiculed and even psycho-analyzed for the connection I have with my birds. Whatever - they round out my life as much (if not more sometimes :D) as the humans in my life do.

Something nice because of PT: A close friend of mine went to Malta and because I had connected with Karyn674 who lives there, Leslie was able to meet her. They had a great time together. . .how cool is that!!!

Love to you all!
Cathy

kokopup
11-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
Yes, but will you only speak when spoken to.

I think you borrowed that from another thread....

Are you accusing me of Plagiarism :rolleyes::D

I thought it was original

Taz_Zoee
11-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Besides, how many other people I know can say they have cried, laughed and shared their most precious memories with people all around the world?

I totally agree with this statement. I have sat at my desk here at work and cried when I read of animals going to the Bridge. I also laugh out loud at times reading posts. My co-workers must think I'm bonkers. :p But I wouldn't change it for the world!

Husky_mom
11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Yes, but will you only speak when spoken to.:D

hahahaha.. like that would happen... lol

PT is a place where I can be myself.. freely.. without people thinking I´m nuts.. well.. they still do but anyway.. hehe..

like said.. we´ve all shared our happiest times as well as our saddest.. it´s normal to have a fight here and there.. everybody does sometimes.. we are a family.. and even teh best of the families have them at some point...

we are not perfect.. but we sure are perfect together.. with all the malfunctions and all..

I´m really glad for this place.. don´t know what I´d do with out it.. or without yo guys to talk to... I do miss a lot of you folks that now got busier and randomly post.. but you are always on my mind... don´t be strangers.. ;)

((hugs)).. to all...

P.S. shall I sit with my bro... he´s so much fun.. hehe

KYS
11-11-2009, 10:53 AM
PT has meant something to everyone by connecting us with our love for animals
and being able to share a bit of our life whether happy or sad.

RICHARD
11-11-2009, 10:57 AM
P.S. shall I sit with my bro... he´s so much fun.. hehe

You KNOW that's trouble.:D

Queen of Poop
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
What Pet Talk means to me.....

I would have a much more difficult time getting thru this very difficult time in my life without all of you. I need this place and the support you all have provided to me.

I've stayed out of the nasty threads because I just can't take it at this time in my life. I wanted to say that everyone needs to stop, take a deep breath and quit the bickering. Everyone has their own opinions, we are all different people, we all think differently, shouldn't be such a big deal, there are worse things in life, trust me!!

I love you all, thank you for being here.:)

lvpets2002
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
;) Me too = I will come sits with Richard.. Great Thread with some Great Points made..

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
HEY ~~~ :D

I think you borrowed that from another thread....

Are you accusing me of Plagiarism :rolleyes::D

I thought it was original

OH, Goodie Gum-Dropz!! :)

Here's sumpin NEW to argue about!!
Shall we *pick sides* ... or just hhave a free-fur-all ?

Ready ? ... Set ... **B!TCH**!

:eek:

WHO'z got a "BAD Attitude" ??

:D

kokopup
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
OH, Goodie Gum-Dropz!!

Here's sumpin NEW to argue about!!
Shall we *pick sides* ... or just hhave a free-fur-all ?

Ready ? ... Set ... **B!TCH**!

WHO'z got a "BAD Attitude" ??

If you don't watch it we will put you at the Kids table with Richard and
Husky_mom:)

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2009, 02:18 PM
If you don't watch it we will put you
at the Kids table with Richard and Husky_mom :)

O-Key-Dokie ...
As long as they've got the Gummy-Dropz!

We can *act our age* over there and not get *yelled at*!

:cool:

Pinot's Mom
11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Oh, come on to the kid's table! Me and lvpets are there, too! It's a FUN GROUP!! :D

Alysser
11-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I want to be at the kids table :D

cassiesmom
11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
We have been through alot together on this board. Just think what it would have been like if we were actually living in the same towns with each other. So much love we have for people and pets we have never met. It's incredible.

Much like we experience with our immediate family members at times, we go through trials and tribulations. Eventually, we resolve issues and move forward.

I don't like believing that more members will leave. I know things change and we can't all be here as much as we once were. I really hope anyone that has decided to leave thinks about the love, compassion, and family we have here and comes back to the community. I don't think there is another board out there like this one. Can we be one big happy family again? :D

Right on D&D!

davidpizzica
11-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Pet talk is my extended family. I feel that I can talk to members here about the many changes in my life and get real support. Without PT I would't have found a dear friend in Donna (Moosmom) whom I'd do anything for.

RICHARD
12-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I have to bring this thread back on top.

Seriously,

Do you go through the day an NEVER get a PT related laugh or thought?

It's either...

"What would a PTer do, think, laugh or ???? about this situation?"

----------

I was in the store today and bought a 24 pack of cheap cat food. For some reason I thought about meeting up with a fellow PTer that would see me buying that, then rolling their eyes as they walked away-wondering why I was not buying the GOOD STUFF for the kittehs!:eek:;)

slick
12-18-2009, 09:06 PM
My busy life keeps me away from PT also. I lurk for maybe 10 min a day during the week and hardly at all on the weekends. It's not that I don't think of PTers, it's just that my life has changed and my priority is now with my health. The two-four hours I spent on the internet is now spent on the telephone.....;);) sometimes past midnight. :eek:

Recently I've had alot of trouble at work, worried about my job, worried about money, worried about Max but tonight I stopped for a minute and I realized that the one constant in my life is PT. No matter how long I stay away for whatever reason, I come back "home" again. Every January when I'm putting my Christmas stuff away, I sit down and take a look at all my cards. All but one are from PTers. You might think this is stupid but I first joined the card exchange in 2003 and I've kept all the cards that I've received since then from PTers. It's quite the stack and every now and again when I feel low, I pull down the cards the letters and go through each one. They mean so much to me and I feel the love and support that comes with each one. :love:

So what does PT mean to me? Family, support, laughter, tears, microwaved peeps, slushies, hunky fireman, Thursdays, lasting friendships...and above all love. :love::love:

*LabLoverKEB*
12-18-2009, 09:36 PM
I want to be at the kids table :D

Oooh ooh me too! Me too! Can I sit next to Alyssa!?:D

I feel like I'll always be sitting at the kids table for the rest of my life... LOL!

Andie
12-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I'll sit at the kid's table if I can fling food at the "big people" at the other table. :D

carole
12-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Words are just not enough for me to express how I feel about PT, Richard summed up so nicely and his words really touched me as do others.

I belong only to this forum and it really is a life line at times,I will never forget the kindess, the love the generosity of so many here, and to think i live on the other side of the world, i have always been made so welcome and feel very special ,being the only kiwi here ,well at least the only one who has stuck it out, makes me feel extra special.

I am so glad you started this thread Anna as there is a thread going on now that i am posting on, and it seems PT is getting a bit of bad deal there,and is mis-understood, however not going in to that right now.

Just want to tell everyone you are unique,special and extremely important in my life, i feel i have friends worldwide,real genuine friends,PT is part of my daily life, and certainly my other family,I found myself the big brother here i have always wanted, thank you everyone for making my life better.

P.S Ah Richard i can so relate he he.

Medusa
12-19-2009, 06:22 AM
I've learned so much about cats, their behavior, new meds, various and sundry treatments for all types of illnesses. I've received encouragement and prayers when needed and have extended the same. I've made some pretty good friends that I've never met in person and may never have the opportunity but it doesn't matter. PT is my extended family and, as is the case w/all families, it's imperfect, family members disagree on occasion and get riled once in a while but, for the most part, we stick together. Some of us may leave but usually come back after a cooling off period b/c the love and sense of comraderie that we share is just too good to walk away from and never return. If for no other reason, my Fur Posse need PT and so do I! :love:

Pinot's Mom
12-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I'll sit at the kid's table if I can fling food at the "big people" at the other table. :D

That's a prerequisite to sitting at the kid's table!

Andie
12-19-2009, 01:32 PM
That's a prerequisite to sitting at the kid's table!

WOOOOOOOO! Kid's table here I come!

slick
12-19-2009, 02:13 PM
If I sit at the kid's table, do I have to wear a phunny hat???

Karen
12-19-2009, 04:37 PM
No, at the Pet Talk family gatherings, frankly, it's all one big kids' table! :) We never got to sit at the adults table when my mom was still alive, as the eldest grandchildren wanted to sit with us always, as Uncle Paul would never make them eat anything they didn't want to eat! If they said, for example, "turnip is yucky," he'd say, "Yes, it is!" instead of telling them it was good for them, and to eat it! :)

My theory was always - it's one meal out of the year, if they eat no vegetables on Christmas, it's not going to do any harm!

anna_66
12-19-2009, 09:08 PM
You might think this is stupid but I first joined the card exchange in 2003 and I've kept all the cards that I've received since then from PTers. It's quite the stack and every now and again when I feel low, I pull down the cards the letters and go through each one. They mean so much to me and I feel the love and support that comes with each one. :love:

Oh Slick, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one:)

krazyaboutkatz
12-19-2009, 09:38 PM
I've also kept all of the PT Christmas cards that I've received and I get more of these than Christmas cards from family and friends. I'm very proud and happy to be part of the PT family.:)

Cincy'sMom
12-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I have all mine too!!!

I forgot to sign up this year, but have still got so many great cards from PTers!

cassiesmom
12-20-2009, 10:50 AM
You might think this is stupid but I first joined the card exchange in 2003 and I've kept all the cards that I've received since then from PTers. It's quite the stack and every now and again when I feel low, I pull down the cards the letters and go through each one. They mean so much to me and I feel the love and support that comes with each one. :love:

Same here! I was in the card exchange two Christmases ago and I never put the pictures and cards away. I put away the Christmas basket they were in, put the photos and cards in another basket, and two Christmases later it's still on my side table!

carole
12-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Mary i have to agree with you, i forgot to mention how much I have learn't from PT about cats, it really has educated me, and my friends consider me the one who knows a lot, when i really don't but i sure know more now thanks to everyone here,and it has helped me take better care of my kitties and be aware of things i never was before, so thanks PT people you are the best.