PDA

View Full Version : I'm Really Worried Guys

MonicanHonda
11-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Tonight was Delta's first puppy class. She did awesome with her tricks, as usual with my dogs. Lol I always like to give them a head start before classes lol. But she's so weird with dogs.... tell me what you guys think...

She is interested in the dogs, will stick her neck way out to sniff towards them and eventually wag her tail and act like she wants to get to them, so I let her go to them. The instant they make a move for her, her tail is between her legs and she's running the opposite way. She will take interest and try to sniff a butt if the head is no where near her, but will not allow other dogs to sniff her rear.

I don't get it because she's interested in them, but still scared of them. Then she looks like she wants to play, but when they make a move for her, she cowers.

Basically, I just want to know if this once a week, plus other small encounters, and eventually the dog park when she's old enough, will help her become accustomed to dogs? And will she eventually want to play with them? I know some dogs it just never happens to and they always have that thing about other dogs, will that most likely be her, or is it too early to tell?

Thanks guys, just a little worried. I really want a well rounded dog. I thought that we've been socializing her very well.

Karen
11-09-2009, 11:13 PM
This will pass. The more she is around other dogs, the better she will be with them. As much socialization, and different situations you can take her to, the better! The world is an amazing place to a puppy, and it takes 'em a while to figure out what's safe, and what's not. You are doing the right thing, starting early, and likely she will learn to play with other dogs, and come to enjoy them.

MonicanHonda
11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks. :) That makes me feel better. The thought I keep in my head is of a golden retriever from Remy's class. Usually they are very friendly dogs, but he was really nervous around puppies. By the end of the class, he was right in there playing....

luvofallhorses
11-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Remember that your dogs in your home is different than dogs outside your home because she lives with your dogs she is comfortable with them.

Outside your home in the puppy class she is just nervous because she hasn't been around those dogs before and it will take time for her to get used to them. She's a puppy and will find her place in the class and make friends with the other dogs. She is just being bashful right now because this is all new to her. :)

chocolatepuppy
11-10-2009, 04:55 AM
I wouldn't worry just yet. Give it a few more classes.:)

Freedom
11-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Agree with all the others.

She likely doesn't even remember how she "met" your dogs. Now she is learning her "doggie" manners, how to meet and greet a new dog. Enjoy watching her learn!

MonicanHonda
11-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Oh, I know why she is comfortable with Remy. But we've been taking her out and about and meeting other dogs since we've gotten her. She's always been this way though. I guess I'm just worried because Remy wasn't this way. Lol! I just have to remember all dogs are different.

luvofallhorses
11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Just give her time she's young. :)

boomersooner
11-10-2009, 06:32 PM
She'll do fine!!! She's just a baby girl!!!

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Lots of puppies are similar to Delta around other dogs. Ripley was very much the same way, and still is even at 7 months old with some dogs. And if another dog so much as growls at him if he's being pushy, he screams. Not always, but sometimes. His breeder said that some pups are just more sensitive than others and that puppies who display such behaviour will eventually outgrow it with time, patience, and lots of socialization. :)

MonicanHonda
11-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks Orangutango. :) That makes me feel better lol