PDA

View Full Version : What's a good amount of weights to use?

Genny
11-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I wanna tone up my arms a little more than they are right now, so what would be a good weight for me to use? My mom has always said if you use something to heavy it will break down your muscles. I use 5lb weights right now-I know that's not much but it keeps my arms it shape. I kinda thought about using something a big heavier to tone them up some though...cause I figure if I just keep using what I'm using now they'll always stay the same like they are right now. Would 8-10 lbs be ok?

Lady's Human
11-09-2009, 10:02 PM
More reps will tone better than more weight.

More weight will make the muscles grow larger.

Genny
11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
hmmm...ok....how many would you reccommend doing?

Lady's Human
11-09-2009, 10:08 PM
That's something only your body can tell you. To really tone a group of muscles, make sure you're working all the groups in the area as well. FOr arms, you should be doing triceps and biceps, as well as forearm.

Genny
11-09-2009, 10:17 PM
alright, thanks:)

K9karen
11-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I start at low weights as not to cause pain and work my way up. I agree, your body will tell you. I never overdo it. I agree, more reps are better.

Lady's Human
11-10-2009, 03:33 AM
One thing I forgot to add: Unless you're training for a specific purpose, (Military, sports, etc) keep the weights light. Excess weight can quickly lead to joint and tendon issues, which never, ever go away. Aerobic training is best done using light weights and high, rapid reps, but keep in mind to avoid jerky movements.

Also, remember to stretch. Whatever workout you settle on, a quick aerobic warmup (light jog, treadmill, etc) for about 5-10 minutes to warm up, stretching, then workout.

Anikaca77
11-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Maybe use a can of soup in your hands. I keep forgetting to do that but I want to tone my arms as well but when it comes to night time I'm ready for bed.

Genny
11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
ok, thanks ya'll! I'll just keep the weights I have and do more each time...thanks:)