PDA

View Full Version : a question for volunteers

Trinityagain
11-09-2009, 09:17 AM
A friend and I were going to volunteer with/for a local Humane Society. I started filling out the application yesterday and I am having a bit of a problem with the fact that they say in order to VOLUNTEER with them you have to be a member. Yes it is only $15/year, but it is the principle of it. I am volunteering my time, my fuel to get there, taking time away from other stuff I might be doing...AND you want me to pay you to allow me to do this? That is really just not sitting well with me...I was just wondering how other shelters work this. I am thinking this probably turns away a good number of people...

tunajune
11-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I volunteer at both a county-run and a private no-kill shelter. I belong to both, but neither requires a membership to volunteer. I wouldn't mind if it did. Logically it would seem if you care enough to volunteer at a particular shelter, you might likely already be a member. Perhaps your shelter uses membership as shorthand way of screening volunteer applicants. They have a history with members and know they are who they say and where they live (for those solicitations by mail).

Taz_Zoee
11-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I volunteer at ARF (http://www.arf.net/) and they do not require you to be a member. I don't think they even have a "membership".
I'm not sure how I'd feel about having to pay. I'd probably do it, especially at $15 a year. I absolutely LOVE volunteering at my shelter.

kitten645
11-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I can understand the fee. As a volunteer co-ordinator, I am always appalled at peoples lack of commitment or follow thru. I usually have to over staff adoption events because some people will "forget" or just not show up. Makes me crazy that they feel that if they volunteer that they aren't required to show up! :mad: Maybe the fee is a way of making people more accountable? Just my thoughts.

luvofallhorses
11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Never heard of being a member by paying. :confused: I volunteer and they don't make me pay to be a part of the shelter. :) Maybe it's just a donation fee? However if there are adoption events there was only one time where I had to pay to get into a piano bar for our fundraiser. :)

Laura's Babies
11-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I didn't have to join anything when I helped out at our shelter. I loved working there but it was a kill shelter and I couldn't handle loving the animals one day, coming back the next and they were gone. Those sweet faces still haunt me.