PDA

View Full Version : Why I Have Deleted Posts and Threads

Edwina's Secretary
11-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I have been a member of PetTalk since March of 2001. Lots of things have happened during that time. Of course, 9/11 stands out. But lots of personal things as well. I have met some wonderful people. I have had lots of fun.

In fact, once upon a time that is what PetTalk was - fun. Sure, there was always some drama. There has been at least one marriage that I know of. There have been pets rescued, pets found new homes. There have also been some losses.

I think fondly of some of the fun - the Clam Juice thread always comes to mind. There was the "running amok" spree. There have been parties (I have hosted a few and attended a few more!) There have been people helping each other.

Some of the friends I've made are the best. I have toured Filoli (a must see - especially in the Spring!) the Winchester Mansion , eaten in Chinatown in San Francisco with PetTalk friends. Been to cat shows, two Oktoberfests (in Munich), Glasgow and the Chelsea Flower Show in London. Made up extra beds in my house for PetTalk visitors. I've said good-bye to two and four legged friends who left this world. I even sat in Mugsy's living room with her 11 very large dogs climbing all over us!

But there is one thing I did not do. I did not pay attention. Somewhere along the way the "rules" changed. It became different. There was still some fun, but there was a new element. Hard swinging, nose busting...bare knuckles. I've never backed off from a fight. So I was called a twit, ugly, stupid, commie and a list of names as long as your arm. And I gave back. I have strong convictions and do not see why I should back down.

But I did not pay attention. Until earlier this month. It was All Soul's Day. Someone posted a thread about a deceased PetTalker. Very nice. I replied that, in the spirit of the day, there were a couple of other PetTalkers who have died. Who I had the pleasure of meeting in person after meeting them on PetTalk. I was thrown off by the response. Clearly, my post was unwelcome. My suggestion to think of other late PetTalkers too was out of line.

I deleted my post. I thought it the right thing to do. I still think it was the right thing to do. There are some people who matter to me who would have been hurt if they had seen the response. Frankly, I think it would be a good idea if more posts were deleted.

If my post is unwelcome, if my thread brings out anger, hostility, offensiveness why not delete it? If something turns from fun to something very different - why leave it to fester? After all, it is my thread. My post.

I have deleted many of my posts and many of my threads. I hope to be able to save some of the ones that were so fun. I feel uncomfortable with the new rules. I feel somehow exposed with my threads and posts available to the new rules. No, I am not doing one of those dramatic "I'm leaving..." That would be silly. I am sorry for Karen and Paul. They work so hard. But time and all things change. So I'll sit back and wait for the next change. It should be interesting.

sparks19
11-08-2009, 11:08 PM
maybe after your remeberance post not being welcomed you could have started a new thread for those you wished to remember outside of the thread dedicated to one person :)

I know that is not the POINT... but things change... life goes around ... and starting a new thread for this one thing could have given those who have passed the recognition members feel they need.

Karen
11-09-2009, 01:46 AM
As far as I know we have not changed the rules. We don't want any name calling by anyone, and I have spoken to people, and had them edit posts when I have noticed it. I do sometimes delete threads, and PM everyone who posted in it as a courtesy.

Be sure to contact me - anyone should contact me if they notice any name-calling between members. If a post upsets anyone, they can always contact me and I will do my best to ameliorate the situation.

We love you, and you are a valued member of Pet Talk. The Cat General forum always welcomes Eddie's and Edwina's posts, as well as yours. Edwina certainly has better fashion sense than I do, that's for sure.

Barbara
11-09-2009, 05:13 AM
I am very sorry that it has come that far. I normally do not go into the doghouse for two reasons:
There are many discussions in a style of which I totally disapprove.
There are many informations about abused pets etc. that I do not want to have.
I know a lot about many problems of the world. There are even areas in which I try to help with solving them. But I chose Pet Talk to be for me a haven of fun, smart fun, laughter and love for pets, especially cats - not a part of problems and solving them. (Which of course will make me stay out of lots of threads ;))
Without you, Pet Talk will have lost a little of its fun and its intelligence.
But for me nothing will change because you'll be my friend and I can enjoy your fun and intelligence whenever I want (and whenever the 9 hr time difference allows it):D
Lucky me :D

Alysser
11-09-2009, 06:21 AM
I have deleted many of my posts and many of my threads. I hope to be able to save some of the ones that were so fun. I feel uncomfortable with the new rules. I feel somehow exposed with my threads and posts available to the new rules. No, I am not doing one of those dramatic "I'm leaving..." That would be silly. I am sorry for Karen and Paul. They work so hard. But time and all things change. So I'll sit back and wait for the next change. It should be interesting.

"Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Okay, I'll cut straight to the point. I haven't noticed problems until yesterday, because for me, well I ignore the threads I see starting controvrersy most of the time. If you feel PT needs to change, you need to start doing the same things as well. Personally, I don't really know you and I have no idea if you were associated with any of the fights. PT can still be a fun place if you IGNORE the attention - getters and the ones that want to pick fights. Don't let the fights start. In this case, "the world" is PT. WE all need to start making a change.

Just my suggestions. I can eleborate more later.

happylabs
11-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Wow, I guess I am just totally out of the loop here. I've only been an active member for less than a year I guess it is. I didn't realize these things were going on.

I am basically a happy-go-lucky sort. If I see something that upsets me I will generally just stay away from it.

I have always thought of PT as a wonderful, happy place full of members who truly love and care for their animals and others as well.

I hope this gets worked out. Hugs to all and especially Karen and Paul! :):love:

pomtzu
11-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Remember the old Bible verse? ----------- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

You have to give respect to get respect.

And this post is not directed to anyone in particular. Just thought it might be a nice thing for all to practice - yes - me included

Pinot's Mom
11-09-2009, 07:38 AM
ES,
I was the originator of the Corinna memorial thread; I saw your post, which included references to other members who had gone, and I didn't have a problem with it. I also didn't see any adverse responses, but maybe they were gone before I saw them. Remembrances of those gone before is a matter of respect and caring; shouldn't be taken any other way.

As far as the fighting in posts - yes, it has gotten mean. I avoid many of the threads in the dog house for that reason, but, as I've said elsewhere, it is the nature of the beast. You put out controversial topics, you're going to get some "disagreements" that turn ugly, unfortunately. I do not comment on these threads for many reasons, not the least of which is that I'll probably be called out, and I am one who DOES back down from a fight. I don't like fights.

I, too, enjoy your posts in the Cat section and have a good time with Edwina and Eddie on the Catmobile trips! ;). That's where I'm most comfortable, and it's what I love about PT - the Cat sections and Thursdays, mostly, as well as the people I've met (virtually and in reality). I do venture elsewhere, but only pleasant places. It may sound a bit Pollyanna - ish, but I deal with enough controversy in day to day life. I don't come here for it.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you, among others, in the days to come. I hope you feel the same.

Maggie

Randi
11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Sara, I too am very sorry it has come to this. :( Some of the names you have been called are simply out of line! If you leave, PT will have lost a fun and intelligent poster.

The good spirit we had ealier is rapidly disappearing and what a shame! I know for a fact that some have left, or have stopped posting because of all this bickering. Some just don’t feel comfortable here anymore. I can see why Karen and Paul don’t want new members to view Dog House before they join.

We have the Dog House to discuss controversial subjects, and when we do, we could at least try to keep a civil tone - yes, I realise I have been a bit harsh myself a few times, but we all have our bad days. I really don’t get why Sara is attacked for her opinions almost every time she posts in the Dog house. It’s just not fair!

Also, I do find some topics rather odd to be posted on PT, it is a forum for pet lovers, after all!

gini
11-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't think Sara mentioned that she was leaving - but if she did - I live within driving distance of her home and she would get a visit from me.:love:

We have a history - I have been one who has enjoyed her home and guest bed and hospitality. She has also washed clothes at my home (Catland).:D

As for calling her names - well The Best comes to mind.

These are very tough times for many people and being just a tad kinder would be a good thing for all of us.

This is a wonderful forum and it should be fun as well as informative, helpful and compassionate.

lizbud
11-09-2009, 11:12 AM
maybe after your remeberance post not being welcomed you could have started a new thread for those you wished to remember outside of the thread dedicated to one person :)

I know that is not the POINT... but things change... life goes around ... and starting a new thread for this one thing could have given those who have passed the recognition members feel they need.

I am wondering why you had to post something critical of Sara? You seem
to be implying that your way is the one right way.

pomtzu
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Oh for Pete's sake - just drop it.

Frankly - I didn't find anything critical after reading it over and over - looking for what was critical.

Edwina's Secretary
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM

If you know it is not the point, it would be best not to post it.

sparks19
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM

uh? what?

I didn't post anything critical. it was simply an idea to give the members who had passed the recognition she feels they needed. I personally don't know who any of them are other than corrina and I'm sure lots of others are in the same boat. so a new thread when she felt her post needed to be deleted would honor those people and let those of us who didn't have the pleasure to know them personally the opportunity to discover these people that are gone but still remembered.

not sure what was considered "my way" I just thought it would be a nice idea so those people could get the memorial they deserve.

I did not post in the corrina thread as I really don't have words to express . I remember that time like it was yesterday and that was a very bittersweet card swap that year :(

JenBKR
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow....I haven't really been around PT too much lately, not really for any reason, just been busy. But I am really sorry to see that it has come to this. I looked at the Corrina post, but the offending posts must have been deleted. Sara, you and I have had a few disagreements on here I think - nothing major. We may not always agree, but I respect and like you, and I am really sad that you are deleting posts. Sometimes it's hard when there are so many different opinions on any given subject, but we should all try to respect the opinions of others (myself included - it's not always easy!).

caseysmom
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Oh for Pete's sake - just drop it.

Frankly - I didn't find anything critical after reading it over and over - looking for what was critical.

Ditto....

Edwina's Secretary
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Sparky - please take your suggestions and arguments elsewhere.

Thank you.

sparks19
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I do wonder if the reaction in that thread was due to the fact that even though it has been a few years since Corrinas sudden passing it is still quite a raw wound for many people. I didn't see the actual posts so I don't know but just an idea. I didn't know her as well as some people on here did but it even still saddens me deeply to think of her passing. I suppose that will always be the case though.

In all seriousness... I do think a thread for all those PT has lost would be a nice idea. I'm NOT being sarcastic. I do not know who they are and I would like to know who they are and maybe (if possible) go back and read some of their posts and learn about them.

sparks19
11-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Thank you.

okey dokey :)

JenBKR
11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
In all seriousness... I do think a thread for all those PT has lost would be a nice idea. I'm NOT being sarcastic. I do not know who they are and I would like to know who they are and maybe (if possible) go back and read some of their posts and learn about them.

That would be a really nice idea. And FWIW, I don't think you were trying to be critical or mean in any way in your first post...just making a suggestion that was unfortunately misunderstood ;)

Edwina's Secretary
11-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Wow - talk about hijack a thread.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And people wonder why I delete stuff.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

JenBKR
11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow - talk about hijack a thread.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And people wonder why I delete stuff.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack..just wanted to comment on the memorial thread idea. I'll be good now :D

Edwina's Secretary
11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
As someone mentioned in this thread "do unto others as you would have done onto you"

I have been criticized for posts that were not considered responsive to the topic.

I would appreciate the same.

lizbud
11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
We have the Dog House to discuss controversial subjects, and when we do, we could at least try to keep a civil tone - yes, I realise I have been a bit harsh myself a few times, but we all have our bad days. I really don’t get why Sara is attacked for her opinions almost every time she posts in the Dog house. It’s just not fair!

Also, I do find some topics rather odd to be posted on PT, it is a forum for pet lovers, after all!

Randi, you harsh??? You don't have a mean bone in your body.:D

I am glad to see that someone else,besides me can see the obvious. Oh,
FWIW, I thought the idea of posting about killing a animal ,with all the
gory pictures included, was a bit strange for a forum of animal lovers.

It was a thread bound to provoke strong feelings. IMHO.

Husky_mom
11-09-2009, 12:57 PM

Thank you.

that was rude...IMO...

I think she was just trying to somehow mend what was going on on the other thread.. and excuse me if I bring up another topic rather than the deletion of posts... I really donīt mind if people talk about something else that has been brought up despite the original "theme"... it was just a suggestion.. no need to tell people to go elsewhere...

sorry to hijack again.. and call me whatever you like..I donīt care...

just as I commented you are free to comment in any thread of mine...Iīm not doing anything to you I wouldnīt want done to me...

Edwina's Secretary
11-09-2009, 01:01 PM
that was rude...IMO...

I think she was just trying to somehow mend what was going on on the other thread.. and excuse me if I bring up another topic rather than the deletion of posts... I really donīt mind if people talk about something else that has been brought up despite the original "theme"... it was just a suggestion.. no need to tell people to go elsewhere...

sorry to hijack again.. and call me whatever you like..I donīt care...

just as I commented you are free to comment in any thread of mine...Iīm not doing anything to you I wouldnīt want done to me...

Well done.

pomtzu
11-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I have been criticized for posts that were not considered responsive to the topic.

Hijacking???? Perish the thought........:rolleyes::p

moosmom
11-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Sometimes it's hard when there are so many different opinions on any given subject, but we should all try to respect the opinions of others (myself included - it's not always easy!).

I second that.

caseysmom
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
ES I have to agree with Husky mom your comment to sparks was on the rude side. You know I like you and agree probably more with you than the folks you are having the issues with but I really like Brian and Tonya as people.

I just wish we could all get along and I don't really understand what your comment to husky mom meant. Were you implying that she hijacked your thread? This thread sort of opened the door to comments imo.

Edwina's Secretary
11-09-2009, 01:47 PM
You know...if I just saw you come to my defense - or anyone else's defense once in a while I might accept the criticism. Have you ever seen some of the things that have been written to me? I have thick skin but still...

I felt S was out of line. This thread was about why I delete threads. NOT about memorial threads.

But I was going to let it go. Some people just can't do that. Someone had to jump on Liz for expressing her opinion.

And that was rude.

So you see...it just doesn't stop.

Daisy and Delilah
11-09-2009, 02:25 PM
What bothers me is seeing so many of our beloved members not posting anymore. Some occasionally and some not at all. I miss those people and I fear that we will lose more if this bickering doesn't stop.

This will sound silly but, "Can't we all just get along?"

I love a spirited discussion without name calling. We have so many intelligent people here, we are able to learn new things every day. There is a very diversified group in this community. This gives us all a wealth of knowledge on things we wouldn't necessarily know about.

I have opinions myself that aren't always the opinions of all our board members. If something is too "hot" I avoid it if I can. All of us need to pick threads wisely before viewing and try to be nicer to our neighbors.

Much of what has been mentioned, I am unaware of anyway and glad of it.

caseysmom
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
You know...if I just saw you come to my defense - or anyone else's defense once in a while I might accept the criticism. Have you ever seen some of the things that have been written to me? I have thick skin but still...

I felt S was out of line. This thread was about why I delete threads. NOT about memorial threads.

But I was going to let it go. Some people just can't do that. Someone had to jump on Liz for expressing her opinion.

And that was rude.

So you see...it just doesn't stop.

If your referring to me I guess you are partly correct, I figure if you are dishing it out you don't need me running to your rescue. I figure most adults don't need me to jump in for them, I probably have jumped in if I saw a minor getting picked on here.

I just wish everyone could get along, what happened to the day when you didn't agree politically but you still had respect? I don't mean that to one side I see that lack of respect on both sides.

caseysmom
11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
So the question of the hour is "will this thread be deleted?" :p

sparks19
11-09-2009, 04:40 PM
So the question of the hour is "will this thread be deleted?" :p

a deleted thread about deleted threads. would be fitting with the theme :p

but pretend I didn't say anything. I've been kicked out of this thread

caseysmom
11-09-2009, 04:41 PM
We could start a pool on when this thread would be deleted.

Edwina's Secretary
11-09-2009, 05:01 PM
We could start a pool on when this thread would be deleted.

I can certainly arrange it for any time you like.

caseysmom
11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I can certainly arrange it for any time you like.

We could get wagers and then commiserate:D

Alysser
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Okay, so back to what I was saying before school got involved with ruining my time to write posts. :p

Problems arise on every forum, in fact, if they DIDN'T arise that'd be either really odd or a miracle. We are not going to get along with everyone - hell, I don't get along with anyone. :o But anyway, people you don't like are hard to ignore, everyone knows that. Unlike the real world, PT has some very nice features that allows you to ignore "said person", such as an ignore list. You can even hide a section of the forum if you want to - and if you have enough self control just filter through threads. The constant fighting and bickering about "who's right and who's wrong" is getting out of hand - especially here in the dog house. The point is, there are SO many ways to ignore people and it's just ridiculious that people don't do that and keep fighting over what..Politics? Hunting? Religion? or whatever else I've seen - you don't have to agree but there are ways of accepting someones opinion and expressing your own without hurting people.

Name-calling is utterly ridiculious - what are we, 12? Come one guys - if you find it hard to get along with someone there are ways to ignore as I mentioned.

I agree with PomTzu - if you respect someone then you will earn it back. There's no reason for bickering to continue.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now - but

CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? :D Please?

PT has always been a way for me anyway to get away from the stresses of High School and Work and DRAMA in real life. I don't come here to find it, and I don't know why people want it - but come one guys, we all need to pitch in and do our part to prevent it. Like I said before you must be the change you want to see in the forum (:rolleyes: that was really corny.)

Daisy and Delilah
11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Beautiful post, Alyssa. I can't agree more.

caseysmom
11-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Very mature post as usual Alyssa.

Karen
11-09-2009, 05:56 PM
The bickering can stop. And it should.

Edwina's Secretary, you mentioned the memorial thread in your initial post, which is why I did not feel it was out of line for Sparks19 to comment on that aspect of your post.

Be good, everyone. All it takes for the bickering to stop is for people to decide to stop right now. Not expect anyone else to stop, just stop your own self.

We all love our pets, that is one things we agree on, and why this board exists.

Daisy and Delilah
11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Some of us have lost sight of Karen's original post about the Dog House. If we go back and read it again, it will remind us of what behavior is expected here. It's also very clear on the purpose of it being created.

cassiesmom
11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
I agree with everyone who wrote "Can't we all just get along". I just came from reading the beautiful thread on What Is A Pet Talker. Please dear ones, I have silly nonsense going on at work every day and I hate to see it here.

Cataholic
11-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I have waited a few days before responding to allow time to reflect on the OP, and the subsequent posts. This is what I think.

It is all too easy to sit back and say, "oh, let it go..", "be happy...", "can't we all just get along..." when the issue isn't one pertaining to you, personally. How many times have I vented something- be it on here or IRL, only to hear, "...just get over it..." and then laughed, inside, later, when that same person voices THEIR concern to me over something else. Funny how the import of something is directly related to ones own personal involvment in the situation.

I know exactly of what ES speaks. I have seen it on here for years now and it is usually the same cast of characters, so to speak. There is nearly a fear of some sort that prevents these runaway posters from being reined in. I don't get it.

Everyone is very quick to jump down ES throat about stuff. I stand in support of her and her post. She has been called names that have astounded me. I can't think of one single person that is attacked in the manner that she is. I have seen the posts/threads, and to say, "well, you give it out, so I guess you should take it" is just so wrong, as one can see in black and white the pattern of the conversation.

Frankly, 'who started it...' IS important. Any person lying on the pavement with a bloody nose would agree with me.

pomtzu
11-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I have waited a few days before responding to allow time to reflect on the OP, and the subsequent posts. This is what I think.

It is all too easy to sit back and say, "oh, let it go..", "be happy...", "can't we all just get along..." when the issue isn't one pertaining to you, personally. How many times have I vented something- be it on here or IRL, only to hear, "...just get over it..." and then laughed, inside, later, when that same person voices THEIR concern to me over something else. Funny how the import of something is directly related to ones own personal involvment in the situation.

I know exactly of what ES speaks. I have seen it on here for years now and it is usually the same cast of characters, so to speak. There is nearly a fear of some sort that prevents these runaway posters from being reined in. I don't get it.

Everyone is very quick to jump down ES throat about stuff. I stand in support of her and her post. She has been called names that have astounded me. I can't think of one single person that is attacked in the manner that she is. I have seen the posts/threads, and to say, "well, you give it out, so I guess you should take it" is just so wrong, as one can see in black and white the pattern of the conversation.

Frankly, 'who started it...' IS important. Any person lying on the pavement with a bloody nose would agree with me.

And I think that the best thing I can say right now is ---- "No comment!" ------ but only so I don't get told to "shut up" again.
(shaking head in disbelief) :eek:

Randi
11-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I know exactly of what ES speaks. I have seen it on here for years now and it is usually the same cast of characters, so to speak.

Everyone is very quick to jump down ES throat about stuff. I stand in support of her and her post. She has been called names that have astounded me. I can't think of one single person that is attacked in the manner that she is.
Well said, Johanna! I certainly support her, too! It really is disappointing how some can get away with all these nasty comments to her, and she is not allowed to fight back or defend herself. :rolleyes: Is that fair?

Some of us have known ES since 2002, and we know what she stands for. She is a funny, educated, catloving woman. She may not agree with the majority of Americans concerning politics, though, and that seems to be a big problem. Why let a few newcomers ruin the good atmosphere we had on PT!

Husky_mom
11-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I so understand being one of the parties involved is more difficult ... but itīs not like someone got punched in the nose... and even then.. the involved eventually would either ignore each other.. or laugh it out later..

name calling.. no matter how bad it is.. I think we are adults here to not make a big deal out of it... "yeah whatever you called me $%%&.. bye" no need to feed it up.. never start a fight but always end it...at least thatīs what I would do.. even if it were me who got name called...

I do not like this kind of situations.. but I do find it easier to let go than let it escalade on you.. not leaning to either side.. but I think both sides need to work things out.. ignore each other... or simply let go.. and yes, thatīs easy.. IMO

Husky_mom
11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
the difference between assault and fight.. is that it needs too..

yeah someone starts it.. but if someone else continues it.. then itīs never ending story..

everyone can defend themselves and itīs their right to.. and no one is getting away with it..

if someone gets overboard Iīm sure the mods will reprimend that person..

so (going way out of topic.. but as example).. if you got robbed.. would it be good to rob back .. is it fair to kill someoneīs relative because someone killed one of yours?.. donīt think so.. many would think of it as getting back at them.. would you?

i know this is words.. words.. donīt pay attentiion to them... yes, you can defend and fight back but why in the same way.. is it really worhty?..

RICHARD
11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Being a character, I have to comment.

Patti Ann Brown from Fox News really does it for me.

--------------------

Anyway, it's like watching Fonzie 'jump the shark', We all know that Henry Winkler is an actor and there is no way that that Happy Days espisode is going to end differently.

The Fonz lives, Pinky goes on to get put in jail, long after the show ends, and Mr Cunningham does some commercials now.

You can only watch that episode so many times before you want Fonzie to crash the Triumph into the side of the pool and end up as shark poop.

Yes, it is an old standard and a classic in TV history! I just would not buy or record that episode, there are plenty of other shows to watch.

Who knew ritchie would grow up bald.;)

Barbara
11-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Well said, Johanna! I certainly support her, too! It really is disappointing how some can get away with all these nasty comments to her, and she is not allowed to fight back or defend herself. :rolleyes: Is that fair?

Some of us have known ES since 2002, and we know what she stands for. She is a funny, educated, catloving woman. She may not agree with the majority of Americans concerning politics, though, and that seems to be a big problem. Why let a few newcomers ruin the good atmosphere we had on PT!

I second that. Only one exception- I know a lot of Americans who would agree with her concerning politics. The US for me is a nation which I admire for its history and its appreciation of independent thought.

Karen
11-11-2009, 02:57 PM
No one is allowed to call each other names and get away with it. No one. I have scolded people via PM on both sides of the battle, asked that posts be edited, and done editing and deletion myself.

I never told anyone they could not defend him or herself. I have repeatedly reminded folks to treat each other with respect. I do not take sides with regards to politics or issues, I want everyone to be polite to each other.

Anyone who notices name-calling should PM me as soon as they notice it, as I cannot be reading every thread every minute.

Anyone who has been called a name should PM me, and tell me what thread it is in, before responding in kind.

This is Pet Talk. We have one thing in common - our love for pets. On everything we may disagree, but only if we can maintain our civility and respect for each other.

And agreeing to disagree on an issue is not "losing" - it is often the only resolution possible.

Husky_mom
11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
No one is allowed to call each other names and get away with it. No one. I have scolded people via PM on both sides of the battle, asked that posts be edited, and done editing and deletion myself.

I never told anyone they could not defend him or herself. I have repeatedly reminded folks to treat each other with respect. I do not take sides with regards to politics or issues, I want everyone to be polite to each other.

Anyone who notices name-calling should PM me as soon as they notice it, as I cannot be reading every thread every minute.

Anyone who has been called a name should PM me, and tell me what thread it is in, before responding in kind.

This is Pet Talk. We have one thing in common - our love for pets. On everything we may disagree, but only if we can maintain our civility and respect for each other.

And agreeing to disagree on an issue is not "losing" - it is often the only resolution possible.

couldnīt have said it better... :D

kokopup
11-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Nuf said :D

lizbud
11-11-2009, 05:01 PM

If we should ever meet in person, I owe you a big kiss on the lips.:D:D

I knew I wasn't crazy, or acting from a completely bias point of view. The
insults have been around for months now & it seems to me nobody took
it very seriously. Anger builds up after awhile. It seems like you have no other option than giving what you get.

sasvermont
11-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I try to live by the rule "if you can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all", although I sometimes forget to control myself and yes, stoop to name calling and ill manners.

I was reared by to very strong parents. They taught me to respect other's opinions even if I did not agree. I have seen so many examples here, especially in the Dog House where it is quite evident to me, that the parties involved in the name calling and childish behavior are ill mannered at best. We need to make room for those folks with the ill manners and I suspect, accept the fact that much about them will not change, however hard we wish and try. And that they will not go away.

I do think Pet Talk has changed. The level of civility has dropped to an all time low. I can think of two people here who do not add to the forums but merely post to provoke and invite bad posts. They like to stir things up, for the fun of the fight. I have complained and complained, to no avail. See, I told you to just accept that they are here and it won't change.:p

All that said, the overall forum population, in my opinion, is a wonderful group of people with a very strong common bond - THE LOVE OF PETS.

I am going to keep posting and complaining. Maybe the ill mannered will move on to a different forum as some have done in the past. I am sure we all know a few former Pet Talk poster or three that drove us all to total distraction while they hung out here - and then one day, they left the forum. What a relief...... Fingers crossed again.

Edwina's Secretary
11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
I said my piece and was staying out of things. Hoping they would settle down. Apparently not.

I’ve been told now my qualities as a person are being discussed. And I don’t like that.

Pomtzu – you say respect earns respect. After taking a trip earlier this year I posted a thread about the national parks we visited and how it made me appreciate what the government does. Of course, a poster made that into a fight. And you Pomtzu – accused me of posting simply to get a fight. I don’t remember your exact words. I do remember how nasty the post was and how much it stung. So I deleted the thread.

Was I being political? Absolutely. That is why I posted it in the Dog House. (Perhaps sad to think a post about the good things your country does is political!) I was also being very sincere.

Let’s remember a post about everyone should have a gun. Posted to get a rise out of people? Absolutely. But not one word from you about the intent of the poster. In fact, on the deer slaying thread you said you “knew the thread would turn ugly.” But in that case of course, not the fault of the OP.

Have I commented on people’s typos etc? Yes, guilty as charged. Am I the only one? Please.

Your righteous indignation seems to be selectively applied.

You don’t like me. That is your business. But please – do not hold yourself out as an example of correct behavior. As you said – if you want respect – you need to earn it.

pomtzu
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
ES - I never said I didn't like you. With that I have no more to say and will delete the post that you have taken offense to.

carole
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
This thread seems to be going around in circles, people accusing each other of this and that. i am not going to comment on ES as i do not know her or of the posts she speaks of.

Saying can we not all get along, is nice in theory but human beings are the way we are,we stand up for what we believe in, voice our opinions and that is what PT especially the doghouse is about isn't it? correct me if i am wrong here.

Of course i certainly do not condone name calling either, and it is sad that anyone needs to do that.

I think we all from time to time have had a disagreement with someone here that turned maybe a little nasty and got out of hand,but it is best to just try and put it behind you and move on, don't let it get to you so much and move on,by not doing so you only hurt yourself really and miss out on so much that is really good here.

Yes it is hard when hurtful things are said, and makes one's blood boil and leap to the defensive,but in general most people here are really nice,loving ,caring people who maybe just have a different opinion from ourselves,sometimes people voice it perhaps a little to boisterous and with unkind words, which is not necessary.

ES I hope you can forgive those that hurt your feelings and stay here with us,your contribution is alway's appreciated.

blue
11-12-2009, 12:12 AM
After taking a trip earlier this year I posted a thread about the national parks we visited and how it made me appreciate what the government does.

Ild still like to see the rest of the pictures from that trip. I agreed that the National Park Service was good government spending.

Let’s remember a post about everyone should have a gun.

I was asked an honest question and I gave an honest, well thought out answer. It was not that everybody should own a firearm, but that every body should be trained to safely handle firearms.

blue
11-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Yes.

Edwina's Secretary
11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Ild still like to see the rest of the pictures from that trip. I agreed that the National Park Service was good government spending.

I was asked an honest question and I gave an honest, well thought out answer. It was not that everybody should own a firearm, but that every body should be trained to safely handle firearms.

Both lies blue. But you know that.

blue
11-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Both lies blue. But you know that.

Nice delete you did there. Lying by omission now? If you arent quoted you can just pretend you never typed it?

I did and still do want to see the rest of the pics from your trip and I do agree the National Park System is good gov spending, I said so in the thread you deleted. I admitted I was wrong about who started the NPA in a subsequent thread.

I was asked a question about firearms and I answered it and I stand by my statement about firearms training.

Do your self a favor and just delete this thread or post where I said everyone should on a firearm. I can take it if I typed it.

Edwina's Secretary
11-12-2009, 12:38 AM
I was asked a question about firearms and I answered it and I stand by my statement about firearms training.

Do your self a favor and just delete this thread or post where I said everyone should on a firearm. I can take it if I typed it.

Not again!!! Okay...I'll ask Karen if she can bring up the thread you started about everyone should have a gun.

Deja vous all over again. Like the time you insisted I said Truman was responsible for the national parks.

But let's let her sleep right now.

blue
11-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Not again!!! Okay...I'll ask Karen if she can bring up the thread you started about everyone should have a gun.

Find it yourself, I didnt delete the thread. I still think that even you should have firearm safety training.

Deja vous all over again. Like the time you insisted I said Truman was responsible for the national parks.

I admitted I was wrong on that didnt I? I still would like to see the rest of the pics from that trip.

ETA: Here is the thread ES is talking about, Link (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=152537).

Probably a bad title for the thread but the idea is still sound.

catmandu
01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe Im wrong but I thought that the National Park System started over a hundred years ago with Theodore Roosevelt who was quite an outdoorsman and conversavationist , especially for those times.
In fact the Teddy Bear was named after a Bear Cub that he spared during a hunting trip.
I wish we could get along together as well as Our Cats and dogs do.:love:

Cinder & Smoke
01-10-2010, 03:32 PM
... I thought that the National Park System started over a hundred years ago
with Theodore Roosevelt who was quite an outdoorsman and conversavationist ,
especially for those times. ...

Well, not quite.
Teddy came along a little bit AFTER the National Parks were first created.

See this write-up from the National Park Service web site >>>

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/hisnps/NPSHistory/briefhistory.htm

"The national park concept is generally credited to the artist George Catlin.
On a trip to the Dakotas in 1832, he worried about the impact of America's westward expansion
on Indian civilization, wildlife, and wilderness. They might be preserved, he wrote,
'By some great protecting policy of government... in a magnificent park....
A nation's park, containing man and beast, in all the wild and freshness of their nature's beauty.'

Catlin's vision was partly realized in 1864, when Congress donated Yosemite Valley to California
for preservation as a state park. Eight years later, in 1872, Congress reserved the spectacular
Yellowstone country in the Wyoming and Montana territories
'as a public park or pleasuring-ground for the benefit and enjoyment of the people.'
With no state government there yet to receive and manage it, Yellowstone remained
in the custody of the U.S. Department of the Interior as a national park ũ
the world's first area so designated."

So ... George did it! ;)

by Phred

blue
01-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Maybe Im wrong but I thought that the National Park System started over a hundred years ago with Theodore Roosevelt...

Well, not quite.
Teddy came along a little bit AFTER the National Parks were first created....

There really was no need to bump this thread or to bring up the NPS topic.

I wish we could get along together as well as Our Cats and dogs do.

Dogs and cats may not always get along but they can learn to respect each other.

Cinder & Smoke
01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
There really was no need to bump this thread or to bring up the NPS topic.

:confused:

YOU were the one who posted the [ QUOTE ] mentioning the NPS ...
granted it was 2 MONTHS ago ... we''re justa lil *slow* on the pick-up.

;)

Grace
01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
I have a Senior Lifetime Pass. Cost me $10, and I can visit any of the National Parks. Wish I could say we'd seen more of them. Pictured Rocks in the Upper Peninsula is gorgeous, and Petersburg National Battlefield and Appomattox Courthouse in Virginia are both small but very interesting. There are two in my home state of Rhode Island - Tuoro Synagogue in Newport, and Roger Williams in Providence.

Cinder & Smoke
01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Many Ohioans don't know about the Beautiful National Park we have right
here in North/Central Ohio - The Cuyahoga Valley National Park >>>

http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm (http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm)

OTHER Ohio Parks >>>
http://www.nps.gov/state/OH/index.htm

Not from Ohio? - Find your closest National Park here >>>
http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

pomtzu
01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
There are two in my home state of Rhode Island - Tuoro Synagogue in Newport, and Roger Williams in Providence.

When did Roger Williams become a National Park??

That was the place Dad had to take us for the Sunday afternoon drive just to get out of the house, where we went to the fireworks on July 4th, and where Dad absolutely had to take us as little kids to take pics of us when the flowers were in bloom. Remember the big flower bed that was planted to look like the American Flag? That takes me WAY back!

Grace
01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
When did Roger Williams become a National Park??

That was the place Dad had to take us for the Sunday afternoon drive just to get out of the house, where we went to the fireworks on July 4th, and where Dad absolutely had to take us as little kids to take pics of us when the flowers were in bloom. Remember the big flower bed that was planted to look like the American Flag? That takes me WAY back!

It's not the Roger Williams Park you're thinking of. Not the one with the carousel and the zoo. This is Roger Williams National Memorial on North Main St in Providence. Here it is. (http://www.nps.gov/rowi/index.htm)

pomtzu
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
It's not the Roger Williams Park you're thinking of. Not the one with the carousel and the zoo. This is Roger Williams National Memorial on North Main St in Providence. Here it is. (http://www.nps.gov/rowi/index.htm)

I never knew there was more than one. What I remember is all the beautiful gardens, a pond with ducks and swans - don't really remember a carousel tho.

Grace
01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I never knew there was more than one. What I remember is all the beautiful gardens, a pond with ducks and swans - don't really remember a carousel tho.

I remember it. It was where I got brave enough to first ride the up-and-down horses :) Then later I even took a chance on catching the gold ring. There is a carousel there now, but I don't think it is the original one. When I was out for my high school reunion, we visited the Park, rode the carousel and checked out the zoo.

lizbud
01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Many Ohioans don't know about the Beautiful National Park we have right
here in North/Central Ohio - The Cuyahoga Valley National Park >>>

http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm (http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm)

OTHER Ohio Parks >>>
http://www.nps.gov/state/OH/index.htm

Not from Ohio? - Find your closest National Park here >>>
http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

Thanks for the links Phred. I learned a lot about Ohio CI today. Very
interesting topic.:)

phesina
01-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I have a Senior Lifetime Pass. Cost me $10, and I can visit any of the National Parks. Wish I could say we'd seen more of them. Pictured Rocks in the Upper Peninsula is gorgeous, and Petersburg National Battlefield and Appomattox Courthouse in Virginia are both small but very interesting. There are two in my home state of Rhode Island - Tuoro Synagogue in Newport, and Roger Williams in Providence.

Thanks for the information, Gretchen. I didn't know about the Senior Pass. I want one! I just went to the NPS web site to find out how to get it. It says "The pass can only be obtained in person at the park."

Is there one anywhere remotely near here? Which is the nearest one?

Thanks!

Grace
01-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the information, Gretchen. I didn't know about the Senior Pass. I want one! I just went to the NPS web site to find out how to get it. It says "The pass can only be obtained in person at the park."

Is there one anywhere remotely near here? Which is the nearest one?

Thanks!

Here you go! (http://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm)

Click on a state and you'll see where the parks are. The closest in Michigan is Sleeping Bear Dunes up near Traverse City. There's one in northwest Ohio - Perry's Victory
and International Peace Memorial - that's not really far from us.

blue
01-11-2010, 09:41 PM
:confused:

YOU were the one who posted the [ QUOTE ] mentioning the NPS ...
granted it was 2 MONTHS ago ... we''re justa lil *slow* on the pick-up.

;)

The OP brought up her deleted NPS thread in Post #56 (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showpost.php?p=2207359&postcount=56), a thread she admitted was political in nature and was why it was posted in the DH.

I have said a number of times now, and Ill repeat myself, I would love to see the rest of the pics from her trip to the NP.

phesina
01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Here you go! (http://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm)

Click on a state and you'll see where the parks are. The closest in Michigan is Sleeping Bear Dunes up near Traverse City. There's one in northwest Ohio - Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial - that's not really far from us.

Thanks, Gretchen. I may have to go visit the Perry's Victory park one of these days and get my Senior Pass too!

catmandu
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Oops , I was wrong!!:confused:
Mr him as setting many areas Roosevelt did not start the National Park, but my guide to Your Presidents credits him as setting aside several parcels of land for that purpose.:cool:
I occasionally take out RV magazines at the Library, and that is one place I would go to some gorgeous National Parks in Canada.
:cool::cool:
If only I had money and could drive.:confused:

lbaker
01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Is this why I began to begin my PT encounters? Maybe, maybe not. The friends I've made and kept.... I could not begin to start except to say all those and more I've met at PT Meetings.. (many, many, many) and haven't as yet but hope to (Logan et al) have been my salvation and cause for hope for bunches of years. I've grown close to Sara, RICHARD, Randi and John *always looks at the sky when I think of "Jonza"* :love:), Gini, Slick, Phred, CatLand, Aly, Stacy, Tracy, Karen, Jen, Cheryl .... nah _ no sense trying to continue. I have enough "Drama/Trama" on my own plate and just come here to get centered. Sometimes it's worth it and I still want to belong and occasionally drop by. Especially Thursdays where everybody leaves their attitudes at the door. It's always been one of Mario's favorite rules.

:love: Laurie

catmandu
01-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I just wish My HH Lady Edwina Rose would come back!!
I miss YOU!!!
Your Juke Joint Joseph!!!
Crying Canadian Cat :(:(:(

wombat2u2004
01-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Oh boy.....this is just like the old days.

Catty1
01-17-2010, 11:00 AM
It IS the old days, Wom - she left and has not returned, and there is no sign that she will.

But if you have anything to post about Oz's National Parks, that would be spot on! :D

DJFyrewolf36
01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
WOMB! *hugs* Ive missed ya! Do you happen to have a facebook? *srry for yet again another hijack*

to the original point...people disagree. If we all agreed nothing would get done! Dissagreements dont need to be hostile though. :( I dont think pt is getting more hostile per se but I do think people need to breathe before hitting the reply button,

caseysmom
01-17-2010, 01:18 PM
If you dish it out in the dog house you have to be able to take it...thats all I have to say!

Alysser
01-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't see why someone has to come back to start a fight. He's been off PT for close to 2 years now and his one random post is to start an argument, just a bit suspicious, although I cannot say I am the least bit surprised.

Catty1
01-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Alysser, I don't think he realized that the OP has not been around for quite some time. He knows that now.

But yes, a short perusal of the thread would have shown the OP has not been around for some time.

I had sent him the link to slick's memorial post, and he posted there...then saw this. Human error.

Hey, Wom - we could use some new (or old) jokes in the joke thread! (Warning - he has some REALLY bad ones! :D )

Alysser
01-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Alysser, I don't think he realized that the OP has not been around for quite some time. He knows that now.

But yes, a short perusal of the thread would have shown the OP has not been around for some time.

I had sent him the link to slick's memorial post, and he posted there...then saw this. Human error.

Hey, Wom - we could use some new (or old) jokes in the joke thread! (Warning - he has some REALLY bad ones! :D )

Okay, I didn't realize I suppose. Thanks for pointing it out. But I still don't think it's appropriate to respond in such a manner, maybe it's just me. :p

Cataholic
01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
^^, of course it is not appropriate to post in such a manner. It isn't just you thinking that, either. It is just one example of a silent double standard evident on this board.

Catty1
01-17-2010, 03:57 PM
No, there is no excuse for a rude reply...the only mitigating factor here was that Wom had not been a participant in this thread. And he should have checked instead of doing a knee-jerk response. I messaged him on FB and hope that will do it.

wombat2u2004
01-18-2010, 06:52 AM
I say what I feel.....same as everyone else here does.
Ya don't like it.......don't read it.
To all my old friends.......hi....I still love ya all.
To all my old critics......go stick ya head in a bucket of sand.
Wom

wombat2u2004
01-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Oh, Karen and Paul,
Thankyou so much for your wonderful Chrissy card, beautiful artwork, I loved it.
Wom

Karen
01-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Rudeness is not acceptable. I did not take it that he was attempting to start an argument, just saw it as a comment, and knew he had been away for a while and didn't know much of what has recently transpired.

Never, ever post that you think someone is trying to start an argument. Even if that was not the poster's intent, that's a sure way to escalate the situation. The better thing, if you think someone HAS posted just to make trouble, is to PM me.

Cataholic
01-18-2010, 04:33 PM
^^ Calling someone "Dragon Lady" is seen as just making a COMMENT?

I can call someone an AH, and it is "just making a comment?"

Come on. That is such baloney, and you know it.

Karen
01-18-2010, 04:58 PM
No cussing is allowed on Pet Talk, you know that. And I think "AH" is much ruder than "Dragon Lady."

Grace
01-18-2010, 05:39 PM
I think they are both offensive. Actually, Dragon Lady might be more so - it is a very personal comment/attack. AH is used so much in the world that it is impersonal.

JMHO, of course.

Cataholic
01-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Oh. I see. Some people are allowed to call others names. Some people are allowed to say AH. Some people are allowed to post offensive posts.

It is just so hard to follow these rules.

Karen
01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
No one is allowed to call names, really. "AH" spelled out is not allowed, and neither is the abbreviation, if I catch it. I try to keep the same rules for everyone. Yes, I sometimes make mistakes, but you can always PM me if you have a concern. I think that "AH" - although too commonly used, is far more offensive than "Dragon Lady." As I explained to the person who was called a "Dragon Lady," I have always seen it it as sort of a back-handed compliment, connoting a woman who is admirably strong, but with whose opinions you may disagree. I think Margaret Thatcher, for example, was often called a Dragon Lady in the press, again, particularly by those who disagreed with her.

When in doubt, PM me. Or use a word or phrase you know is less offensive. And of course, posting in anger is never a good thing. It's best to be avoided.

Cataholic
01-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Oh, brother. Right, it is a backhanded compliment.

Good grief.

DJFyrewolf36
01-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Don't post your problems with the moderators out in public. It seems like this is a discussion best left for PM. I don't see a double standard here...anyone who breaks the rules gets a PM and a chance to modify posts. The OP was not innocent and blameless. Posts directed at her just didn't materialize out of thin air. I agree she did it more elequently but she did dish out harsh opnions too. Thats my opnion.

caseysmom
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
The OP was not innocent and blameless. Posts directed at her just didn't materialize out of thin air. I agree she did it more elequently but she did dish out harsh opnions too. Thats my opnion.

I couldn't agree more, like I said before if you can't take it don't keep dishing it out.

Cataholic
01-18-2010, 07:58 PM
What the OP did or did not do is not the issue here. It is the post by Wom calling the OP a name. Without any provocation.

This was commented on by a poster that has no horse in this race, so to speak.

That any one can defend his uncalled for blatant violation of the "no name calling" rule is ridiculous.

Oh, and djfry? This is just my opinion. <wink>

caseysmom
01-18-2010, 08:08 PM
While I agree with you somewhat pettalk is not a democracy its run by two individuals that give up a lot of their own time to keep it running so if they interpret something a certain way that I don't agree with it I guess I figure its their business and their forum.

Cataholic
01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
CM, I do agree with that, too. Their forum, their rules.

Whether I like or agree with them or not. I will, however, continue to post my opinion-as others see fit to do- until I am booted off or prohibited from doing. By their directives, not some other posters.

caseysmom
01-18-2010, 08:19 PM
CM, I do agree with that, too. Their forum, their rules.

Whether I like or agree with them or not. I will, however, continue to post my opinion-as others see fit to do- until I am booted off or prohibited from doing. By their directives, not some other posters.

We wouldn't want you any other way:D

DJFyrewolf36
01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Im so impressed that a thread posted by someone complaining about drama and name calling has gone on for several pages...and its mostly name calling and drama :D. /sarcasim. I wasnt refering to woms comment (somewhat uncalled for yes Ill admit) when I said the OP had to take the same lumps as the rest of us with an opinion. Altho by virtue of complaining about it she got us all to demonstrate what she was complaining about. Mission acomplished!
By the way, its Fyre not Fry...was that an intentional typo or an honest mistake *grins*

Lady's Human
01-18-2010, 09:51 PM
As I explained to the person who was called a "Dragon Lady," I have always seen it it as sort of a back-handed compliment, connoting a woman who is admirably strong, but with whose opinions you may disagree. I think Margaret Thatcher, for example, was often called a Dragon Lady in the press, again, particularly by those who disagreed with her.

PM Thatcher was referred to as the Iron Lady. The Dragon Lady of recent historical note would be Madame Chiang Kai Shek, or Madame Ngô Đėnh Nhu, First Lady of South Vietnam.

Cataholic
01-19-2010, 06:42 AM
[quote By the way, its Fyre not Fry...was that an intentional typo or an honest mistake *grins*[/QUOTE]

I am typing on my blackberry, predictive text, many words are virtually impossible to type. I wasn't positive of your screen name, and did the best I could.

DJFyrewolf36
01-19-2010, 03:29 PM
I am typing on my blackberry, predictive text, many words are virtually impossible to type. I wasn't positive of your screen name, and did the best I could.

Fair enough, I was posting from my Nokia so I understand! :D

No harm, no foul?

Catlady711
01-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Well if someone called me a 'dragon lady' I'd be insulted, not complimented.

Dragon lady is by no means a compliment to anyone, and 'another' was typed in all capital letters meaning yelling in text land and emphasized in a negative way.

For backhanded compliments? Does anyone know what that actually means? There is no 'compliment' involved. It is simply an insult period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backhanded_compliment
A backhanded compliment or left-handed compliment or asteism is an insult disguised as a compliment. It is generally used to belittle or condescend, or often one uses a backhanded compliment when one wants to insult someone in a subtle way.

http://www.answers.com/topic/left-handed-compliment
backhanded compliment. An insult in the guise of an expression of praise. For example, She said she liked my hair, but it turned out to be a left-handed compliment when she asked how long I'd been dyeing it. This expression uses left-handed in the sense of "questionable or doubtful," a usage dating from about 1600.

Sorry but I do not agree with 'backhanded compliment' being nice in any way, but that's just my opinion, I'm sure others may dissagree.

lizbud
01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
I am glad others saw Wom's comment as a thinly guised slap in the
face to the OP. (My computer was down or I would have posted earlier)

Karen, I love you but, you have the soul of a poet and probably see the
human race through rose colored glasses.;) People can sometimes just
be total jerks and it's best to tell them so. Peace.:)

Miss Z
01-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Gawd, I hate not being around that much lately.

Sara, I do hope that you haven't left the boards and are still following this thread. Rest assured that I always have the very deepest of respect for you.

In life, the only true opinions you take to heart are those of people you respect. The words of anyone other than those select few are just that, words.

I am akin to you, and a fair few others on this board, in that I stick up for myself and am fiercely defensive of anyone else I believe is being treated unfairly. That is a good quality to have even if it very often results in being the 'condemned', the 'accused', or any other silly synonym people come up with.

I'm always on the other end of a PM.

wombat2u2004
01-21-2010, 06:34 PM
I am glad others saw Wom's comment as a thinly guised slap in the
face to the OP. (My computer was down or I would have posted earlier)

Karen, I love you but, you have the soul of a poet and probably see the
human race through rose colored glasses.;) People can sometimes just
be total jerks and it's best to tell them so. Peace.:)

JERK ????? JERK ????
You know, if those two tiny little neurons you have in your empty head ever manage to collide, you may come to the conclusion that name calling is a no no on this forum.
So Lizbud, if you don't have anything nice to say, then go suck eggs.

gini
01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
And you have just proven why she sometimes deletes threads. She being the E's secretary - not Karen. (but sometimes Karen too!):D

Let's see..........we have

Dragon Lady
Jerk
Suck Eggs:D:D:D

Nice, really nice!;)

momoffuzzyfaces
01-21-2010, 06:44 PM
enough already !!!!!

wombat2u2004
01-21-2010, 06:45 PM
And you have just proven why she sometimes deletes threads. She being the E's secretary - not Karen. (but sometimes Karen too!):D

Let's see..........we have

Dragon Lady
Jerk

Nice, really nice!;)

Yeah, I like it to....hee hee

caseysmom
01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
I'll repeat my mantra, if you can't take it don't dish it out.

Alysser
01-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Dragon Lady
Jerk

Nice, really nice!;)

I love the hypocrites too. Just love 'em.

wombat2u2004
01-21-2010, 08:00 PM
I love the hypocrites too. Just love 'em.

Thank you Alysser.......it's lovely to read that you love me.
BUT, unfortunately I don't love you. So bad luck honey !!!!! I guess you'll have to find love elsewhere.

caseysmom
01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
BUT, unfortunately I don't love you. So bad luck honey !!!!! I guess you'll have to find love elsewhere.

:rolleyes:

Alysser
01-21-2010, 08:18 PM

In case you can't detect it, that was something called sarcasm, and sometimes I can't help myself when replying to annoying unnessacary posts, it appears this is one of those times.

Bad luck? Actually, I think that's quite the good luck that you don't love me - thank you. :D

Now that I'm done stooping to your level of immaturity, I'll stop, because I am capable of realizing I'm only antagonizing you and you are just one of those people who cannot help themselves, so this is my last post in this thread. ;)

carole
01-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I am just so confused with this thread, but then i have not been following it through ,but i do see what i term as some immaturity and not so nice comments being made, and i am not saying by whom,but isn't it time to put it to rest now PLEASE.

sparks19
01-21-2010, 10:23 PM
yeah really at this point I am not sure what purpose this thread serves anymore. I agree with carole

kokopup
01-21-2010, 11:00 PM
It is a shame that Sara has decided not to be a part of PT, but after reading the
last few days of post on this thread I well understand why. If she did come back her first act should be to deleted this thread, It has absolutely no redeeming qualities.

Grace
01-21-2010, 11:06 PM
It is a shame that Sara has decided not to be a part of PT, but after reading the
last few days of post on this thread I well understand why. If she did come back her first act should be to deleted this thread, It has absolutely no redeeming qualities.

It can also be deleted by Karen. I'm surprised it wasn't deleted or at least locked weeks ago.

blue
01-22-2010, 01:43 AM
Wom has done nothing more, possibly less, then the OP and her cheerleaders have done in other threads.

The OP hates being called a liar, but has no such compunction when calling others liars. Nor does the OP have any compunction in dealing out backhanded compliments, or doling out leading, and insulting questions.

I enjoyed the E's postings and still would like to see the NP pics.

Miss Z
01-22-2010, 03:32 AM
Regardless of what you may or may not believe about the original poster, her thread was merely to explain why she feels the need to delete posts. There is nothing at all in that original post directed at enticing hatred from those who have had the misfortune not to truly get to know a very fine member of Pet Talk.

She would either laugh or sigh at the irony of this thread.

If I am one of her cheerleaders, that's cool with me. I think she's great, and I do love the little outfits and pom-poms. :D

It's not as if it's not common knowledge who does not like ES, or anyone else on this thread to leap to her defence. Darlings, you have nothing to prove any more. So please, shuddapaya face. :)

carole
01-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right though do they?

I personally don't care who is right or who is wrong, or who said what and who didn't, this thread to me has turned rather yucky,no matter what, and it leaves a bit of a bitter taste in one's mouth.

I don't really know either poster in question, so i cannot make any comments and would not dream of doing so, but really this thread just seems to go on and on,don't you think?

Should we not let sleeping dogs lie?

wombat2u2004
01-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Wom has done nothing more, possibly less, then the OP and her cheerleaders have done in other threads.

The OP hates being called a liar, but has no such compunction when calling others liars. Nor does the OP have any compunction in dealing out backhanded compliments, or doling out leading, and insulting questions.

I enjoyed the E's postings and still would like to see the NP pics.

Thanks Blue. ;
Wom

Lady's Human
01-22-2010, 04:31 AM
Now that everyone has had their say, 4,5 or 6 times, I think this thread can be left to die.

To many who have suggested that it be left to do so, why post in it then?

All it does is bring it back to the surface to pick at the scab some more.

wombat2u2004
01-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Now that everyone has had their say, 4,5 or 6 times, I think this thread can be left to die.

To many who have suggested that it be left to do so, why post in it then?

All it does is bring it back to the surface to pick at the scab some more.

Here here !!!! I agree........no more from me here.
Wom

Puckstop31
01-22-2010, 06:35 AM
In life, the only true opinions you take to heart are those of people you respect. The words of anyone other than those select few are just that, words.

I'm not digging, posturing, trolling or any of that.

I disagree with this idea. The greatest lessons in life are learned as a result of a failure/being proven wrong/losing, etc... If you discount what somebody has to say, just because you don't like them, well... You are possibly missing an opportunity to learn.

Just sayin'

Miss Z
01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
And I completely agree with that. However, that was not what my comment was about. It's not to do with learning lessons, becoming a more educated person or whatever, but more about taking on board and considering what someone has to say.

i.e. Someone I don't particularly like tells me to shuttup. I keep talking.

Someone I respect tells me to shuttup on the same matter. I shuttup and think about what I've done. I may or may not have been proven wrong. I may or may not learn from it. But I don't instantly hate that person for going against my judgement. In fact I probably will respect that the person stuck by their own judgement rather than supporting me because they felt they had to so I would 'like' them.

No difference in the subject or the request, just a different set of people. That was my point. ;)

Karen
01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Okay, let us let this thread die now. All that needs to be said has, let us let this be the last post. And, blue, we have a whole thread over in General started just for National Parks info and pictures! Feel free to add yours, I'll PM you the link.

slick
01-24-2010, 12:15 AM
I am proud to be the original Dragon lady. I take the cake. I confess, I'm tried and true. Go ahead, call me a Dragon Lady, because I was born in 1952 - the year of the Dragon. :D

wombat2u2004
01-24-2010, 10:30 AM
No Slick,
You've never given me good reason to do that. ;)
Wom

lbaker
01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
"let sleeping dogs lie".... well, not to start yet another argument BUT.. dogs don't know how to lie, sleeping or otherwise ;) they, as opposed to some other species, only know what they love, feel and respect. That, I believe, is something we all can learn from dawgs :love:

carole
01-24-2010, 03:36 PM
lol, it is just a saying, not sure if you use it there or not,means just to leave things as be and not to continue on with it,bury the hatchet type of thing,.thanks for that though lol.:):D

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-24-2010, 04:21 PM
I've only just finished reading this thread:(:eek::(
PT used to be such a fun place to be...........:(:(:(:(:(

Karen
01-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I am going to close this thread, it's over and done.