PDA

View Full Version : Canadian people-a question

Pinot's Mom
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Coop (my husband) and I will be vacationing in Canada again this coming ski season. We previously travelled to BC a few years ago, but this time will be flying into Calgary and staying in Banff. Anyone, first of all, in that area that we could visit? Second, any suggestions for places we must see? Let me know.

Maggie

Lilith Cherry
11-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I used to live in Alberta and took my kids camping every month in the Rockies. It is incredibly beautiful!

I suggest, Canmore which is a lovely town, Lake Moraine, and the Athabasca glacier which is breathtaking!

I think Catty and Gayle ( Queen of Poop) both live near there somewhere?

Catty1
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
I live in Cochrane, about 1 1/2 hours away from Banff (45 minutes from Canmore).

A drive up the Icefields Parkway is wonderful...worth the drive. I would be happy to do the drive, weather permitting. If you're new on that road, it's not one you want to be rubbernecking on to see the scenery! ;)

Q of P lives in Calgary - and there is another PTr in Calgary, but I can't recall who it is.

Nomilynn
11-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Oooh I love Banff! My parent's live in Calgary, and one year at Christmas-time we drove to Banff and Lake Louise for the day. The town of Banff is marvelous, with lots of cute shops to browse in and some wonderful chocolate shoppes. If you have time, take a horse drawn sleigh ride over the frozen Lake Louise - it's well worth it!

Queen of Poop
11-09-2009, 08:04 AM
I live in Calgary.

Banff is beautiful in the winter. As is Canmore. It's fun to wander the little shops.

Calgary is home to a very large shopping mall, Chinook Centre, but good luck finding a place to park - it's nuts.

Just a short ways north of Calgary is a new mall that's recently opened, it's called CrossIron Mills. It's apparently got some awesome stores, although I've not been there yet.

Shelteez2
11-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I live in Calgary.

Banff is beautiful in the winter. As is Canmore. It's fun to wander the little shops.

Calgary is home to a very large shopping mall, Chinook Centre, but good luck finding a place to park - it's nuts.

Just a short ways north of Calgary is a new mall that's recently opened, it's called CrossIron Mills. It's apparently got some awesome stores, although I've not been there yet.

Cross Iron Mills is apparently full of huge outlet stores. I haven't been there yet either though.

Here's a site that might be helpful.
http://www1.travelalberta.com/en-ab/index.cfm?pageid=227

Pinot's Mom
11-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Thank you for your suggestions - if anyone lives in the area and we could get together, feel free to PM - thanks!

Maggie