PDA

View Full Version : Lucas' Story

jenluckenbach
10-08-2002, 01:54 PM
EDIT: Bumped up for those who have not read about how Lucas became part of my family

In 1995, as I arrived at my work place, I saw a kitten in the street looking into a small drain pipe. I thought,"Oh no, he's going to crawl in there!" I worried as I parked the car that I would not reach him in time. But much to my surprise, he did not go in the hole, instead he was just sitting on the front stoop of where I worked. He just sat there. He was tame and friendly, not to mention, cute as anything, so I picked him up. I work at a pet groomers so we had the place to keep him until someone came looking. I KNEW someone would come looking because he was so loveable. Not like a feral stray.
Well, unbelievably, no one came. After work I combed the area but the only people that recognized him said they only knew him as a stray they were feeding. It was fall and there was no way he was going from the shelter of my hands back to the street, so home he came. Now I had just taken in a new cat 1 year ago, so this was to be temporary. I'd find him a home and things would go back to normal.
WELLLLLLLLL even though he was only a 6 month old 5 lb kitten he took An immediate liking to my rather large orange male Y.Lee. I named him Lucas and he would torment Y.Lee constantly and Y.Lee loved every minute of it. They grew to be the best of friends to the end. (we lost Y.Lee this year).
We love Lucas very much.

Thanks for listening.

Add to the story: the winter of that year was colder and snowier than ANY year we ever had. Thank God Lucas found me.

weeze
10-08-2002, 02:06 PM
what a cutie pie. Its a good thing you found him when you did!

tatsxxx11
10-08-2002, 04:03 PM
What a great story! Lucas is a real honey!:) And how could you resist that beautiful face! Thank you so much for providing this special guy with such a warm,safe, loving home. I'm sorry to hear you and Lucas lost Y. Lee The two kitties sounded like such great pals. I'm sure that Lucas has been a great comfort to you during this sad time and you a comfort to him. Glad to meet you, Lucas!

Edwina's Secretary
10-08-2002, 04:15 PM
What a wonderful story! Is Lucas the long-haired or the short-haired organe guy in your signature?

jenluckenbach
10-08-2002, 05:55 PM
The short hair, with the bib.

krazyaboutkatz
10-09-2002, 12:06 AM
Jen, I'm so glad that you were able to save Lucas and to provide him with a forever home. He's a very handsome cat. I have a real soft spot for orange cats. Thanks for sharing his story with us. :) I'm so sorry :( that you lost Y. Lee though. It must have been very hard on both you and Lucas.

Pam
10-09-2002, 06:08 AM
Jen I thoroughly enjoyed your story about Lucas. Isn't it funny how this "temporary" kitty came to steal your heart. As you know, your Lucas very strongly resembles my Trevor. Trevor was bought for the grandmother of one of my son's friends whose cat had just died. (The boys picked him up one night at a pet shop and the grandmother decided she didn't want another cat). Trevor wound up at my home that night, because there was no place else to take him at that time of night, and he has been here 9 years! :D It's hard to ignore the charms of an orange tabby! **hugs to Lucas** What a cutie! Trev says to tell him he "did good" finding you! :D

jenluckenbach
10-10-2002, 06:24 AM
Pam, If you think orange tabbys are irresitable, as I do, keep you eyes peeled for Y.Lee's story. I just need to wait for my brother to download some more pictures for me onto disc.

Vio&Juni
10-10-2002, 07:56 AM
I can't wait for the stories of the others:)

moosmom
10-10-2002, 09:30 AM
Jen,

How did you get a slide show of your cats to work on the site? I'd like to do that with my cats. I have a digital camera. Would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

BTW - LOVED your story about Lucas. He is a beautiful boy!

krazyaboutkatz
10-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Jen,

How did you get a slide show of your cats to work on the site? I'd like to do that with my cats. I have a digital camera. Would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

BTW - LOVED your story about Lucas. He is a beautiful boy! Hi Donna, I actually made this for Jen and I'd be happy to make you one too. Just PM me if you're interested and give me your e-mail address and I'll need pictures too. I can also make you an avatar. I really don't mind making them because I think that it's fun. :)

NoahsMommy
10-10-2002, 11:48 PM
What a wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing, I always enjoy reading about how everyone met their furkids. :)

Lucas sure is cute!! I have a soft spot for those orangies too!! :D

jenluckenbach
10-11-2002, 05:50 AM
yes, Krazyaboutkatz,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!

:D :) :D

koxka
10-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
What a wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing, I always enjoy reading about how everyone met their furkids. :)

ME TOO!!! ME TOO!!!

Looking forward to read about the white kitty, owned a solid white one myself called Mite (Myth)
he was such a special guy, I will NEVER forget him:( .After 15 years I still miss him!:( and like to belive he's alive!

jenluckenbach
10-11-2002, 06:37 PM
Well the white one is Monte, so look for his story.
P.S. He is my favorite :D

jenluckenbach
01-15-2004, 05:56 AM
A shameless BUMP :o

Barbara
01-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Hooray for Lucas:) :D

ChrisH
01-18-2004, 02:51 PM
What a lucky (and knowing) kitty Lucas was in putting himself in your path that day. Wonderful story.

Steffi N
01-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Lucas, thank you for being such a good friend to Y Lee. And thank you Jen, for sharing the story of the kitty who came to stay.

rg_girlca
01-19-2004, 06:32 PM
What a great story about your kitty Lucas. To think he was actually sitting on the steps waiting for you. Even at such a young age, he was no fool, he knew exactly what he was doing and it worked, didn't it sweetie.
Thanks Jen for bumping this up as I missed it the first time.

IttyBittyKitty
01-20-2004, 03:47 AM
That is such a sweet story, you have a big heart Jen! That kitty is very lucky to have met you!

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-20-2004, 05:41 AM
Another great story! I don't think you FOUND Lucas - sounds to me like he came looking for you!!!

jenluckenbach
01-20-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
I don't think you FOUND Lucas - sounds to me like he came looking for you!!!
I always think of it as being SENT to me. :)

CatDad
01-23-2004, 02:52 PM
I agree he was sent.:)

His story was so great, you are a great person.:D

Thanks for the story.

jenluckenbach
05-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Bump ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for reminding us of how special the start of your relationship with Lucas was.

One question - how many cat's did you have back then??? (Obviously "not enough") ;)

catmandu
05-27-2006, 09:43 AM
I think that the Pet Angel Search and Rescue Squad put Lucas there.
Look Lucas here comes a Really Nice Lady.
Just sit there and do your stuff Kitten.
And the rest as they say is history.
Thank You Jen for the Lucas Story.
And please know that Lucas is in Our Prayers every night.
We love Lucas too.

jazzcat
05-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm so glad you bumped this Jen. I didn't know Lucas' story.

It definitely sounds like destiny to me. :)

jenluckenbach
05-27-2006, 03:23 PM
One question - how many cat's did you have back then??? (Obviously "not enough") ;)

HA! Lucas was number SIX. :eek: (a shocking number, at the time) :rolleyes:

Barbara
05-28-2006, 05:02 AM
I loved to read Lucas story again- and I remember how great all your stories were! Bump more of them- from time to time :)