PDA

View Full Version : Our pet store burnt down :( A lot of animals are severely injured.

luckies4me
11-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Zany Zoo pet store here in Eugene caught on fire early this morning, resulting in the loss of all of the animals in the petting zoo (which were personal pets to Nate and Abby), and the loss of multiple other pets that were there for sale. The animals that did survive have been transfered to Animal Urgent Care on west 11th for emergency treatment. I phoned Nate this afternoon after hearing about the incident and let him know that I was available to foster smaller animals. None of the animals are doing good. The ones that perished did so by smoke. :( I am horrified that this occured.

ZZ has always been my favorite pet store. I used to work there years ago, and on the weekends they featured a petting zoo. I spent tons of time in there playing with their coatimundi (she was still a baby) and playing with their bushbaby. They had several old tortoises in the petting zoo, an alligator, ferrets, snakes, Galapagas iguanas etc. Most of the puppies and kittens made it out OK.

Everyone is still waiting to here what happened. The strip mall was undergoing construction. The fire broke out at the deli next door and moved on over to the pet shop. They're unsure if it was caused from recent electrical wiring. Such a sad sad day!!! I can't imagine how scared the animals must have been. And for the owners to lose almost all of their personal pets. Such a tragedy. :(

Karen
11-06-2009, 06:09 PM
How very sad! Prayers being said for the people, and the surviving animals.

luckies4me
11-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Here are a few pets that I would like to have remembered. Unfortunately I *believe* all of these have passed. :( I am crying so hard right now because I had a very special bond with the mara (pantagonian cavies), as you can see from the photos. I even named one Nibbles, as he would like to nibble on anything metal, and fingernails. He was the coolest animal, and really enjoyed when I came to visit. Shelly, shown in the last photo was a rescue coatimundi that Nate was rehabilitating. She was kept in very poor conditions before she came to the shop. The young coati and the bushbaby were kept in the petting zoo area, and that is where the majority of the animals died. I'm still waiting to hear from a friend who knows someone who works at the clinic to give me an update.

They did a lot to teach people the proper care of exotics. It's really saddening to learn that something like this has happened.

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/Animals-perish-in-fire-at-Zany-Zoo-pet-store/Hk9snyBmMkiGXlnaH2b2Bw.cspx

DJFyrewolf36
11-06-2009, 06:36 PM
This is extremely sad! I had only been over to Zany Zoo a couple of times but each time I was treated respectfully and the animals were well taken care of. This truly is a tragedy :(

Genny
11-06-2009, 09:03 PM
AWW :( That is SO sad! I'm so sorry to hear about that. I hope your animal friends made it out ok....I can only imagine how you and everyone else who lost their pets must feel right now...

Laura's Babies
11-06-2009, 09:35 PM
OH GOD! My heart is breaking for those poor babies! So helpless and terrified they had to have been.

sirrahbed
11-07-2009, 12:06 AM
That is so very sad!!:( I am sorry.

Kirsten
11-07-2009, 03:33 AM
OMG, this is horrible news!! :( I'm so sorrry and sad about all these innocent pets that lost their lives... :( :( :(

I hope the ones that survived will be alright!

Kirsten

Medusa
11-07-2009, 06:33 AM
How awful! My imagination runs wild w/stories like this, thinking of how terrified the animals must have been. Prayers are going up right now for all the injured and for your friends.

phesina
11-07-2009, 07:16 AM
I am so very sorry. That is heartbreaking.

chocolatepuppy
11-07-2009, 07:53 AM
How awful.:( Many prayers for both the humans and animals involved.

3Catcondo
11-07-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers going for the animals and the owners. May those that passed RIP. :(:love:

Asiel
11-07-2009, 08:10 AM
That's just horrid. I've watched videos of wild animals trapped by fire in forests and I can't bear to think of what these caged animals felt before dying..

Lilith Cherry
11-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I am so very sorry for all concerned; what a tragedy!:(

luckies4me
11-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Fire pet shop’s latest woe |
About 100 animals died in the blaze, the most recent in a string of troubles for the owners of Zany Zoo Pets
By Mark Baker

The Register-Guard

Appeared in print: Saturday, Nov 7, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News: Local: Story
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An early morning fire on Friday that killed about a third of the animals at their west Eugene pet shop has owners Nate and Abbie McClain wondering what else can possibly go wrong.

Zany Zoo Pets — “The ‘Fun’ Pet Store” — was burglarized to the tune of about $3,000 worth of cash and other items — including a digital camera with the first two months of their daughter’s life documented on it — in the middle of the night in August, the couple said. Thunderstorms on Sept. 12 caused flooding at the store.

And now this.

“Each time this happens, I think, ‘That problem’s out of the way,’ then something else happens,” Nate McClain said as employees from the Springfield Servpro branch, a fire and water cleanup franchise, shoveled shattered glass, insulation and other debris.

Nate McClain estimated that 100 animals — reptiles, birds and feeder mice — may have been killed in the fire that was sparked sometime before 3 a.m.

“It’s hard to estimate,” he said. “Two dozen reptiles, maybe; 20 or so birds; a lot of feeder mice. It may be over 100.”

Three puppies and a couple of cats boarded at the shop survived, he said.

An estimated $100,000 damage was done to the building, a strip mall in the 3600 block of West 11th Avenue, and $25,000 to the contents, Eugene Fire Department spokesman Glen Potter said.

The fire was caused by an overloading of electrical circuits in the pet shop’s reptile room, Potter said. Too many electrical cords most likely were plugged into one circuit, or it was a misuse of extension cords, he said.

“There was more plugged in than should have been, I can say that,” Potter said.

Investigators will continue to check for clues, he said.

The shop regularly kept heat lamps plugged in to keep the reptiles warm, but that had never been a problem before, Abbie McClain said.

A general contractor from Salem who was doing a job in the area saw smoke coming from the building and called 911, Nate McClain said.

“It seemed to be mostly contained in (the reptile) room,” he said. “It didn’t spread to the rest of the store.”

The fire, which drew 29 firefighters, five engines and two trucks, plus two medic units to treat the injured animals, was reported under control at 3:44 a.m., Potter said.

Nate McClain said he arrived about 4 a.m. and had trouble getting to the shop because there were so many emergency vehicles. He parked at the bank across the street, he said.

Firefighters already had evacuated all of the animals, and sent many to a 24-hour emergency veterinary clinic a couple of blocks away. Others were being treated in the parking lot, McClain said.

Several aquariums full of dead animals sat covered in an empty storefront next to the pet store late Friday morning.

The Jasper’s Deli on the other side of the pet shop was closed Friday. The deli’s glass door was shattered.

“If there was damage to that deli, it was caused by our structural investigation,” Potter said. Firefighters most likely created an entry in the deli to check for fire damage on the roof or other parts of the strip mall, he said.

Most of the hundreds of animals that survived, including snakes, fish, turtles, bushbabies, hamsters, ferrets, frogs, even a 2-foot alligator, are being housed at a friend’s warehouse, Nate McClain said. The couple hopes to reopen in three or four weeks, Abbie McClain said.

The shop was insured, but the McClains are not sure how much of the damage will be covered under the policy.

“If insurance doesn’t cover this, there have been a lot of other terrible things that we’ve faced and gotten through,” Nate McClain said. “I’m not going to give up. The job market’s too lousy.”

The building is owned by a trust based in Big Bear Lake in California, according to Lane County property records.

Marigold2
11-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Oh my God, it's so painful. So hard to imagine those poor animals. I am so sorry, deeply deeply sorry. Some good must come of this. Please keep us informed.

redbird
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
This is really terrible news and I sending prayers to the fur kids who perished and especially for the ones suffering right now. I hope they can be healed and well again. :love: