PDA

View Full Version : How stupid can I be?!?!

catnapper
11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I gained a LOT of weight the past few months sthanks to being sick and reaching for comfort food. I am hoping this is a temporary weight gain, and I will lose it once I get my sinus pain under control.

Thus said, I need new clothes that actually fit. I don't want to spend money on a new wardrobe that hopefully will be stored away in a couple months. So I headed to Goodwill and found a great --- AWESOME!!! --- new sweater. It was made for me: tailoring, fit, style, color. I'd have paid almost anything for this sweater in a retail store, thats how perfect it is.... ummm..... WAS.

You see, since it was Goodwill, I immediately tossed it in the laundry. STUPID ME never looked at the tag. Guess what my $3 Goodwill find was. 100% Merino Wool. And now, it shrunk so much that Cameron could wear it. :(

I want to cry. I had something that made me feel good about myself and now I ruined it. :(

Daisy and Delilah
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
That stinks, Kim. You are sure going through a rough patch. I guess the bright side is: Cam will love his new sweater?? {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

karyn674
11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Can you check if maybe Goodwill has another one like it?

You never know!!!

MoonandBean
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Ick...who wants to wear wool anyway? Itchy!!!! You probably saved yourself from having to go on a steroid pack...hehe. ;)

lvpets2002
11-06-2009, 12:09 PM
;) Sorry Kim I had to chuckle just a wittle bit.. Yup I would go back & see if they may have another one.. Well at least it only cost $3.00 instead of $30.00 or $300.00.. Hey that is the good side right..

Genny
11-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Yea, at least you didn't pay a lot of money for it. It was only 3 bucks :cool:

Karen
11-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Oh, well! I am so allergic to wool I itch just thinking of it, so you really didn't need that anyway, right? I had one red wool sweater that I loved, but could only wear it with something very thick underneath ... until Paul did the laundry and it shrunk to unwearable size. T'was just as well, really!

I hope you go back and find something even better!

jennielynn1970
11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
same here, wool is just itchy!!! At least it was only $3., that's not too bad, and now Cam has a new sweater to wear too! Go out and get another sweater, I'm sure you'll be able to find another sweater that looks great on you! Just check the label first and make sure it's machine washable, lol.

Karen
11-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Okay, I have to ask - is wool NOT itchy for anyone? I always knew that I have extremely delicate skin, and wool bothers it - a LOT - if I wear anything wool that actually touches bare skin, I am miserable.

But is that normal, or is wool itchy for everyone? I cannot imagine it would be as popular as it is if everyone's skin reacted like mine ...

caseysmom
11-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't know I never buy it because I don't deal with dry clean only items...too much trouble! It seems itchy though.

Lady's Human
11-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Wool doesn't really bother me TOO much, especially nice fine wool. I had a sweater from Iceland I loved.....and one of my barracks buddies thought they were doing me a favor, put my laundry in the dryer, and POOF......a size 2t sweater. :p

Taz_Zoee
11-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't know I never buy it because I don't deal with dry clean only items...too much trouble! It seems itchy though.

Same here. And my parents owned a dry cleaners for over 40 years up until August of 2008. LOL
I don't like wool either. It's too hot and itchy. A wool blend is not as bad. And I think Merino Wool is much softer than regular wool. It's a finer blend, if I'm remembering correctly.

catnapper
11-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm so glad people understand! :D

I scoured the store while there for comparable sweaters so ?I know there isn't another like it. Drat :(

As for itchy.... I get itchy with acrylic something awful but 100% wool doesn't bother me in the least. This sweater WAS sooooooo soft and comfy. I guess it is a matter of the quality of the wool, and the processing. Because I bought a $150 wool sweater at the outlets the other day for $24. Its GORGEOUS, but ITCHY.... but that might have somethign to do with 97% wool and 3% acryllic. Perhaps I'm allergic to acrylic? :confused:

Asiel
11-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I can't even stand touching anything made of wool, much less trying to wear it...ugh...just the thought is enough to make me break out in hives.

kitten645
11-06-2009, 07:23 PM
As a knitter, I find that GOOD quality wool is a dream. :love: Price really makes a difference. The inexpensive stuff is realllllly itchy. I figure if I'm going to spend the time making something, it might as well be the best quality!Sadly once it gets "felted" (H2O + agitation) there's no going back :( I only hand wash anything I make. I don't do dry cleaning. When I drop something off I completely forget about it!:rolleyes:
RIP sweater..you were loved!:p

K9karen
11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
:o:o Been there. Now I double check the labels
If it ain't washable, it ain't bought.

Husky_mom
11-07-2009, 10:03 AM
an aunt once told me.. that to unshrinken clothes.. (not sure if it applies to wool).. to place it int he freezer and the iron.. or something like that..:p.. my memory fails at times... haha

sorry abut your sweater..

I´m not sure if wool makes me itch.. never wore any that I recall.. hehe

Catty1
11-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Googled some ideas - they all seem pretty easy to do:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4898186_unshrink-wool-sweater.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_unshrink_wool

http://bryanong.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-unshrink-clothes-wool-sweather.html

http://consumerist.com/consumer/tips/how-to-unshrink-wool-267551.php

http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com/archive/tbf_tool_how_to_unshrink_a_wool_sweater2/

Lilith Cherry
11-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I love cashmere but I am not sure if that counts as wool because it is goat hair.

Sorry about your sweater - been there, done that!:eek: