PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Day Thursday #341

RICHARD
11-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I want to start this thread by saying that I mean no disrespect to anyone who is in or has worn a uniform for their country.

Thanks.

--------------------------

Thursdays is always a 'day before' , so I wanted to do a little salute to the Vet's-Veterans Day is Nove 11 and I thought a thread BEFORE would be
neat to do...

Let's make Buffalo Wings for the Air Force.
Pulled Pork for the Marines.
Fish for the Navy and I am stuck for the Army!:eek:

Wait a second!!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070624202024AA3Xn39
:eek:

Puckstop31
11-04-2009, 08:11 PM
A Strawberry Hill Boones Farm for my late buddy Jason. (Ya had to be there.) The best friend I was ever graced with. He gave his life so that others might live.

HOOAH Jason! Miss ya buddy. Lost but never forgotten.

Cinder & Smoke
11-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I wanted to do a little salute to the Vets - Veterans Day is Nov 11 ...

Buffalo Wings for the Air Force.
Pulled Pork for the Marines.
Fish for the Navy.
BEANS for the Army.

What about the Coast Guard Gang ?? :confused:

RICHARD
11-05-2009, 01:17 AM
What about the Coast Guard Gang ?? :confused:

I don't think they'd mind sharing a table with the Navy?:D

PS,

A Boone's Farm for Jason. Strawberry.

DONE!

Lady's Human
11-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Puck, under the heading of "you had to be there".......

Please keep the Strawberry Hill away from me, but I'll raise a glass to absent friends.

A glass of Jack for LTC James, SFC Howe, and MSG Tuliau. LTC James was a commander to the end, waited until his soldiers had been laid to rest before he passed himself.

I'll raise an Irish to Spc. Akintade, didn't know you long, but you were a hell of a soldier.

There are many, many more, but I'll stop there.

blue
11-05-2009, 02:33 AM
No official drinks for Jim, a vet of 2 tours in Viet Nam, a father of 3, a good boss, and a friend. Rest in peace you old ba$tard.

Pinot's Mom
11-05-2009, 07:50 AM
A toast of good Bourbon Whiskey for my Daddy; he's a retired Lt.Commander in the Navy, a Veteran of the Korean War, and WWII. He's still going strong at a young 84 and living the good life in Florida! Thanks, Daddy! :love:

I'd also like to send a thank you and raise a glass to all current and past soldiers in honor of Veterans Day - thank you all!

pomtzu
11-05-2009, 08:03 AM
A toast to my ex's military family...

My ex - Marine Corps
Father in law - retired lifer - Army. Now deceased.
Brother in law #1 - retired lifer - Navy
Brother in law #2 - retired lifer - Air Force
Brother in law # 3 - Army
Brother in law # 4 - Navy

And my brother - Navy

They traveled the world - land and sea - defending this wonderful place that we call home.

KYS
11-05-2009, 09:48 AM
A salute to all the Vet's, past and current soldiers who have given so much for all of us.

Karen
11-05-2009, 09:59 AM
To all the veterans and to those who are currently serving,

coffee ring for James! (Navy nephew on the USS Reagan)

smokey the elder
11-05-2009, 10:22 AM
A toast to all soldiers, sailors, Air force folk, Marines past and present, and a glass of champagne toast for the USS New York, made with steel from the World Trade Center.

Cinder & Smoke
11-05-2009, 10:29 AM
[Coast Guard ...]
I don't think they'd mind sharing a table with the Navy? :D

MIND?

About like the Army would "like" sharing their beans with the Marines.

Better pull out the picnic table.

;)

Cinder & Smoke
11-05-2009, 10:44 AM
In Memory of Dad :love: ~

Retired Lieutenant Colonel, US Army Corps of Engineers, Pacific Islands, WW II ...

Dad and his Engineers began building Air Strips on the Pacific Islands before all
the enemy fighters had been cleared ... they rode their dozers and graders with
their weapons beside the seats.

:)

RICHARD
11-05-2009, 12:52 PM
A toast to all soldiers, sailors, Air force folk, Marines past and present, and a glass of champagne toast for the USS New York, made with steel from the World Trade Center.

While not a New York fan, I thought it was kind of poetic justice they won on the anny of the last time they were in (Nov 4 2001) and having the USS New York commissioned/festivities today.

-------------------

To my uncle, who served in the "big war" and whom I never got to meet, to all the fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, relatives and family friends who have given their time, blood, sweat and tears for the people of their towns cities and country.

I hope we all can take a moment and everyone can put aside the inter -service rivalry for a moment at the BIG TABLE.

(I'm to afraid to go to the L&F to get the picnic table..)

Coffee rings, bourbon, champagne and a tip of the hat to the "ole bees turds";)

Keep the stories/mentions coming.....We can't forget them.

Done.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I was going to suggest cornbread and beans for the Army but you all beat me to it! :D

I'd love a cherry rootbeer to toast all those who are serving or have served in our armed forces!!! :love:

Lady's Human
11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope we all can take a moment and everyone can put aside the inter -service rivalry for a moment at the BIG TABLE.

Nope. It's more FUN at the big table.

The more bickering when it comes to jarheads, squids, wingwipers and coasties, the merrier. (Soldiers are perfect, nothing to pick on there, it's everyone else who's FUBAR!)

RICHARD
11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Nope. It's more FUN at the big table.

The more bickering when it comes to jarheads, squids, wingwipers and coasties, the merrier. (Soldiers are perfect, nothing to pick on there, it's everyone else who's FUBAR!)

I hadn't laughed like THAT in a while....:D

Another round....

DONE!

-------------------

I was in line at a bank and ran into R.Lee Ermey - he is an impressive person.

I looked at him and nodded but could not figure out who he was until later.

He's about 5'8" - 9. I figured he'd be about six foot in person.....:eek:

Since then? I laugh every time I see him on the tube.

I came across this picture and had to clown on it.:D

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/25/128956584699841358.jpg

slick
11-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Set 'em up Richard. Been a hell of a day. **sigh** only 2,920 days until I retire.

I'm sorry that I have no affiliation with the service except that I know my Great Grandfather (I think) was killed in the Boer War.

Veteran's day is always a mixed bag of emotions for me anyway. I'm so thankful for the women and men in the service because untimately they are making this world a better place. I'm also thankful and sad for the women and men who have lost their lives in the many wars that have happened. I can't imagine what their families have gone through. I usually attend the services at my local cenotaph.

Puckstop31
11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Please keep the Strawberry Hill away from me,

It tends to leave a impression, eh? ;)

RICHARD
11-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Set 'em up Richard. Been a hell of a day. **sigh** only 2,920 days until I retire.

I'm sorry that I have no affiliation with the service except that I know my Great Grandfather (I think) was killed in the Boer War.

You don't need an afilliation, it's great that you remember them.

It's been a heck of a week........a heck of a life time?;)

What ever you are drinking!

DONE!

LOH and PS.

As much as I am ashamed to admit it?

I bought a 3 for five dollar bottle one day....just to remember...

cassiesmom
11-05-2009, 07:54 PM
My mom told me recently that when she and my dad were first married and my dad was in Korea (U.S. Army - infantry), she would send him cookies. One of his sisters was able to get paint cans (before their insides ever saw paint, of course) for her to send the cookies overseas. He's now 81 years old. My brother and family went to Washington, D.C. for summer vacation and took a lot of photos at the Korean War Memorial. After they looked at the photos together, my dad talked with them a little about what all he did and saw there. I'm 43 and I have never heard him discuss it. He has a photo album, which I did see him showing my nephew once at a family get-together.

My aunt Margaret was a U.S. Army nurse, flying patients home and supplies overseas.

I did my graduate student clinical rotations at Hines V.A. Extended Care Center. I got way, WAY more out of it than I ever put in. I was there 2 days a week, 2 semesters and for six weeks during the summer quarter in between, so most of the year. The unit I was assigned to had 60 residents. Most had served in W.W. II and/or Korea; there were just a couple who had been in Viet Nam and just a couple who had been in W.W. I. One of the W.W. I had been an officer and had all his metals framed and hanging on the wall in his room. One day I asked him to tell me about a couple of them. I wish I'd had a tape recorder that day.

Raising my cup of decaf in a toast for my dad, Auntie Margie and "my guys" (and the two women) on 1B.

Pinot's Mom
11-05-2009, 09:14 PM
My mom told me recently that when she and my dad were first married and my dad was in Korea (U.S. Army - infantry), she would send him cookies. One of his sisters was able to get paint cans (before their insides ever saw paint, of course) for her to send the cookies overseas. He's now 81 years old. My brother and family went to Washington, D.C. for summer vacation and took a lot of photos at the Korean War Memorial. After they looked at the photos together, my dad talked with them a little about what all he did and saw there. I'm 43 and I have never heard him discuss it.

I think you're talking about the experience at the Memorial that he didn't discuss, but it brought to mind others I know that have been in conflict and don't discuss it.
My father, as I mentioned earlier, was in the Korean War and WWI; he's never discussed it.
A good friend was in Desert Storm; he won't discuss it.
My brother was engaged in conflict in the Army; he won't discuss it.
My brother in law was in conflict in the Navy; he doesn't discuss it.
...the list goes on...

None of us at home can imagine what goes on; I may not agree with the reasons for much of the conflict, but I have to respect their experience, their pain, and their privacy. It's the least I can do.

slick
11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
OK, LH and Puckstop - you are the bartenders today. Rickard needs a day off for his Birthday.

Richard, happy birthday and please try and stay vertical.......:D

Bartender, I'll take a Spanish Coffee please. This is my last day of work and I'm off for 3 weeks.....3 weeks without my boss from he**.:cool:

KYS
11-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Happy Birthday Richard.....

I'm bringing the red velvet cup-cakes. :D

lbaker
11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
HAPPY BARFDAY RICHARD ;) Slick, phone call for sure either to or from. My Dad was a Glider Pilot in WWII (gee, they used to number wars in those days) multiple medals and esteem from all that know about gliders. My brother lost his leg (and some of his sanity occasionally) in Viet Nam and is currently in the VA hospital in La Jolla for unrelated problems. I will be flying out in a few weeks to assist. Blessings to all those who serve, have served and those that support in whatever way possible :love:
Laurie

RICHARD
11-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Slick,
You know I can't sit on my hands.....They tickle my rear!

I'll fill in as needed!;)

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
BIRFFDAY BARKEEP!! Have yourself a shot, and one for the bar as well! I'm in a celebratory mood! :)

Lady's Human
11-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Happy Birthday, Barkeep, and how in the heck did I get nominated?????

Anyway, foods on, bar's open, and the slushie machine is goin.

Everyone have fun!

RICHARD
11-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Happy Birthday, Barkeep, and how in the heck did I get nominated?????

Anyway, foods on, bar's open, and the slushie machine is goin.

Everyone have fun!

Wanted

Mixologist
Part time, Competitive salary, no benefits and no nonsense.
Ability to speak Orc a plus.
Inquire within.
:D

We only hire the best.......

Lady's Human
11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Mixologist?

I make a fair short order cook kind of bartender, a mixologist I ain't.

I do, however, know how to use Orc's remote.....

Speaking of which, let's get a fire going in here...It's Chilly!

Cinder & Smoke
11-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Wanted

Mixologist
Part time, Competitive salary, no benefits and no nonsense.
Ability to speak Orc a plus.
Inquire within.

We only hire the best.......

:rolleyes:

NICE Try, Rickardo ...

But your Resignation will never be accepted!
Take a dayoff fur your Birfday ... but then get your Butt back to the Bar
and resume your duties! (Sir!)

Oh yeah ...

Have a Hap, HAPP,
SUPER * H A P P I E *
Birfday,
* RICHARD *!!
:love: :D :cool:

Cinder & Smoke
11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
... and how in the heck did I get nominated?????

Didn't your Dad ever teach you to NEVER *scratch your head*
when the guy with the mike is Talkin?

First Rule of Auctions and Meetings.

Lady's Human
11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I keep forgetting that one......last time I wound up with a key to an office. At least this time all I have to do is keep glasses full.

RICHARD
11-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I'll start the fire....
And I'll pour too, never rest for the wicked.:D

Thanks C&s and LH.

The guy on the mike was trying to do Karaoke......poorly too!:D

-------------

I put out my flag to counteract all the evil in the last two days.

I'll get the ORC to help me here....

Cinder & Smoke
11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
... last time I wound up with a key to an office.

And before that - you "won" the :cool: Tin Hat, Boots, anna Rifle ...

WHO's a slow learner?

But HEY -
THANKS for going and helping to Keep us ALL Safe!!!!
:)

Pam
11-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Good thread Richard! Hubby (an Air Force Veteran) and I were married on November 11th many years ago so it has a double meaning for us.

My brother is also a USAF veteran.
Two cousins are retired Navy vets.

I'll have a glass of white wine (whatever is closest to you there at the bar) since chicken is on the menu for tonight. :)

Gotta take this chance again to wish you a Happy Birthday. :)

Lady's Human
11-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I never claimed to be quick on the uptake, just stubborn as hell.

:p

A glass of upstate NY's finest wine for you, Pam. (And yes, it is really good wine)

Pinot's Mom
11-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Oooh, it's Friday so I really can have a drink at the bar; some NY Finger Lakes wine sounds fantastic!! I'm having my vodka & diet ginger at the moment, but a good red with the lasagna in the oven would be great!:)

RICHARD
11-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Good thread Richard! Hubby (an Air Force Veteran) and I were married on November 11th many years ago so it has a double meaning for us.

My brother is also a USAF veteran.
Two cousins are retired Navy vets.

I'll have a glass of white wine (whatever is closest to you there at the bar) since chicken is on the menu for tonight. :)

Gotta take this chance again to wish you a Happy Birthday. :)

You could have been married sooner, on a real special day!:)

LH,
Wait,
Stubborn you say?

http://www.armyfootballclub.org/all_users/history/mascott.cfm

DUCK!

PM,
Let me fill your glass...
DONE!

------------

I dated a gal years ago who still is a dear friend. I have to laugh because last year she became a grandmother with a special g-child, who has a special b-day...Today. :)

DJFyrewolf36
11-06-2009, 07:03 PM
A toast to my brother and his wife, who are still serving actively in the US Army and a toast to my friends and family touched by war around the world.

God Bless Everyone!

RICHARD
11-06-2009, 09:24 PM
A toast to my brother and his wife, who are still serving actively in the US Army and a toast to my friends and family touched by war around the world.

God Bless Everyone!

Toast!

DONE!:)

Lady's Human
11-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Toast?

What kind? Cinnamon/raisin?

Cheese toast?

Don't leave us hanging!

RICHARD
11-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Toast?

What kind? Cinnamon/raisin?

Cheese toast?

Don't leave us hanging!

Rye with salted butter!;)

Off to school this morning.....see ya all in the p.m.!

Pinot's Mom
11-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Well good morning former birthday barkeep! Hope yesterday was a great day!

I'll have some of that toast, maybe some eggs and coffee??

Lady's Human
11-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Toast, eggs and coffee?

No problem.....Rye toast and butter? Mmmmm...Toss in some corned beef hash and you're talking Breakfast!

RICHARD
11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Toast, eggs and coffee?

No problem.....Rye toast and butter? Mmmmm...Toss in some corned beef hash and you're talking Breakfast!

No eggs! Ya gotta have eggs!

LOL, I could eat a half loaf of rye with real butter at one sitting!:eek:

Should I admit that?:D

Thanks for filling in for me, now we can get back to our regularly scheduled programming..

I am jonesing for the race tomorrow......Pins and needles....I have to make a trip to the SC Jesus altar and toss out a prayer...

I am going to make a Bloody Mary-Where's Slick?- and do some football, anyone?

DONE!

DANG, I thought they were going to commision the New York yesterday....I saw the blurb his morning and was mad I missed it!

RICHARD
11-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Good Morning,
Biscuits and gravy, bacon, coffee and a sweet roll for breakfast.

Who is in!:D

Lady's Human
11-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm in, do you deliver?

RICHARD
11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm in, do you deliver?

F N A!

I also pulled a basil/onion loaf of bread out of the oven.
Real Butter too!
A morning cocktail and some football?

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
11-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Sitting on the deck watching the game...NOT HAPPY! Think I need something very strong to stomach this embarrassment...is this the same team that played last week???:confused:

Karen
11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh, Pomtzu, and it's so early in the season, too.

Hey, barkeep, can I have some mulled cider, please? It's just that time of year!

RICHARD
11-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Hey, barkeep, can I have some mulled cider, please? It's just that time of year!

Of course!

One mulled cider?

DONE!

I am making a fire too!:D

Lady's Human
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I'll take a hard cider and about 10 hours of sleep..........not that I'm getting either one in RL at the moment, but one can dream.

Pinot's Mom
11-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Pomtzu? Am I confused? :confused:

I still need something strong...

RICHARD
11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Pomtzu? Am I confused? :confused:

I still need something strong...

Hey, who's at the door?

http://www.razor-gator.com/arnold_schwarzenegger.jpg
:eek:

LH,
12 hours of sleep?

DONE

momoffuzzyfaces
11-09-2009, 02:48 PM
I made some Texas size cupcakes today. They are white with strawberry frosting. Anyone want one or two or more? :D

RICHARD
11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I made some Texas size cupcakes today. They are white with strawberry frosting. Anyone want one or two or more? :D

Ohhhh, cake!!!!!

If you want something 'strong' you have to share with PM.;)

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
11-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Texas sized? White w/strawberry? I'm SO IN!!

Hey, Ahhnold, would you go pick 'em up for me? Thanks! ;)

It's almost after work (even though I've been on here entirely too much today ;)), so could I get them with a white russian?:)

RICHARD
11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Texas sized? White w/strawberry? I'm SO IN!!

Hey, Ahhnold, would you go pick 'em up for me? Thanks! ;)

It's almost after work (even though I've been on here entirely too much today ;)), so could I get them with a white russian?:)

Why not?

Those are some Texas sized biceps, no?:eek:

DONE!

caseysmom
11-09-2009, 04:29 PM
My Dad was a Korean veteran with the Army, give me a whisky and seven in his honor (his favorite drink)

Lady's Human
11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
One whiskey and seven.

DONE!

RICHARD
11-09-2009, 07:46 PM
One whiskey and seven.

DONE!

LOL,

My mom would get on my nephew when he would drink "seventy-sevens".

I told her they were "7 and 7's" and she admonished with "what do you know about drinking?":eek::o

Thanks for taking that order!:D

DJFyrewolf36
11-10-2009, 02:48 AM
I need something to lift my spirits...Ive been told Im depressing which only serves to DEPRESS me...blah.

RICHARD
11-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I need something to lift my spirits...Ive been told Im depressing which only serves to DEPRESS me...blah.

Here I'll give you a shot......and remind you that you are not a BUTTON.

THerefore, you can't be 'depressed'.

Ugh, that was bad!:)

DONE?

OH!

Happy Birthday Marine Corps.

DJFyrewolf36
11-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Here I'll give you a shot......and remind you that you are not a BUTTON.

THerefore, you can't be 'depressed'.

Ugh, that was bad!:)

DONE?

OH!

Happy Birthday Marine Corps.

THANK YOU Richard...I needed that :D

RICHARD
11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
THANK YOU Richard...I needed that :D

Bad humor always wins out!

Refill?

DONE!