PDA

View Full Version : Southern Flying Squirrel

chenson0870
10-08-2002, 11:41 AM
:) I rescued a Southern flying squirrel from our cat. I think he is full grown. I purchased a cage, food, toys, etc. Does anyone know how I should bathe him, or how I set something up so he may bathe himself? Other tips would be great also.

Aspen and Misty
10-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Food
Southern flying squirrels are primarily vegetarian, but will occasionally eat animal foods. Nuts, primarily acorns and hickory nuts, are preferred foods and make up the bulk of the diet. Flying squirrels will also consume various seeds, fruits, berries, mushrooms, buds, flower blossoms and tree bark. Animal items that occasionally may be eaten include insects, bird eggs and nestlings, small nestling mammals, carrion, and adult shrews and mice.

Nuts are gathered and stored as winter approaches. The shortening of day length rather than temperature triggers the urge to store food. Nuts are buried individually or are cached in nest cavities or other cracks and crevices in trees. Several hundred nuts can be stored in a night. In good nut-production years, the stored nuts carry the squirrels through the winter and even into spring and summer. Nuts are eaten in a characteristic pattern. Flying squirrels usually cut a fairly smooth circular or oval opening on the side or end of a nut. On larger, heavy-shelled nuts they will make a second opening or remove an entire end in a single cut. Other tree squirrels usually crush nuts without leaving the shells intact.

The feeding pattern of flying squirrels more closely resembles that of deer mice or white-footed mice, which also inhabit cavities and nest boxes in southeastern Nebraska, but these species usually do not eat large, heavy-shelled nuts, and their tooth marks are finer. Flying squirrels will accept a "helping hand" by visiting bird feeders where they consume seeds, suet and peanut butter.

Limiting Factors
Flying squirrels have been known to live 13 years in captivity, but seldom live five years in the wild. A variety of predators and internal and external parasites can affect them. Predators include owls, domestic cats, hawks, snakes, bobcats, raccoons, weasels and foxes. Predation is probably no more significant for flying squirrels than it is for other tree squirrels. External parasites reported from flying squirrels include fleas, lice and mites, and internal parasites include nematodes and protozoans. None of those parasites are known to be substantial limiting factors. Few diseases have been reported in flying squirrels, and none are thought to be significant.

Aspen and Misty
10-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Also. I found a great web site http://www.animalnetwork.com/critters/profiles/flyingsquirrel/default.asp

Although, I think you should try to rehabilitate the little guy. If he is full grown then he must miss being free and being kept in a cage must not the be the most happy thing for him. I sure he wants to go back out in the wild. Cats bites are very dangerouse he will die from them within hours, he needs to see a vet NOW. You should atleast tyr to set him free, but thats just my two sense.

Good Luck!
Ashley

chenson0870
10-09-2002, 08:20 AM
He had originally escaped from the box, and disappeared for two days. In the meantime - we horrible human people cut a bunch of trees down in the back yard to build our pool (that was a Friday). Coming back from my walk on Sat. I heard noises in the box. I think he went back in for the nuts. I don't know if his family perished or relocated, but he wouldn't have been back in that box unless something was wrong on the outside.

HE IS OVER 10 WEEKS due to fur on his tummy. He is about 3 inches from butt to nose, and his furry flat tail is about 3 inches also. I also have noticed that he does sleep at night. Weird, huh? I have his cage on my bed. I was skeptic to leave him in an empty room when he was still trying to acclimate himself with the cage and us. Plus I know beans about flying squirrels and I want ed to hear him if he yelped or something. I believe his age makes his nutritional needs different, but I don't know how to cut or divide the scalded milk or nut recipe (if I need to give him that stuff because he is probably an adult). I did bring him to work today in the bonding pouch I purchased. I am an application developer (computer nerd). I do not move around alot. He is quite still. I have given him a halved grape so far, and a little water from an infant medicine syringe. So far, so good. Help with any other reply to these questions, or comments.

Aspen and Misty
10-09-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm glad you tried to release him. Did you chekc him over extremly good for any cat wounds???? You might want to look again to see if you missed any. Cat wounds will kill him if not treated right away. Wha tan ineresting pet! I bet he had fun at work with you today. Can you hold him yet??? Also, do you want me to find more websites on inforamtion???

Ash

PS: You chould do a google search I bet it would help

chenson0870
10-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks, I will try the search. He is extremely interesting. He seems so intelligent. Big eyes. He had fun today, and the bonding pouch was a great way to get close. I gave him a grape, a little bit of strawberry, and water. He warmed up to me more with this little bit of interaction than ever before. I am an application developer so I don't move too much. He was active even though I was still. He is quite unique and precious.
Thank you for taking your time to help me with links/resources. I appreciate it.

Christina

luckies4me
10-09-2002, 03:52 PM
I would check with your lcoal Fish and Wildlife Division and see whether or not the squirrel cannot be legally held in captivity. Some animals must have a permit to be held inc aptivity and if your is one and you are caught you can be fined and the animal can be put down. Here is the adress and telephone number for your local F&W. You can ask them if you need a permit. I would not keep a wild born animal incaptivity. Squirrels can make good pets for some if born and raised in captivity. I would suggest calling your local wildlife rehabilitator.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Bureau of Protected Species Management
620 S. Meridian Street OES-BPS
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1600

Phone: (850) 922-4330
FAX: (850) 922-4338

chenson0870
10-09-2002, 04:04 PM
I have corresponded with a Licensed rehabilitator of Texas. Her link has a wealth of information: http://www.hal-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.html
She has been a great help. Thank you for being concerned. She did not mention any legalities, and I presume she would be someone who knows. For good measure, I will contact my local one. Thanks!

luckies4me
10-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by chenson0870
I have corresponded with a Licensed rehabilitator of Texas. Her link has a wealth of information: http://www.hal-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.html
She has been a great help. Thank you for being concerned. She did not mention any legalities, and I presume she would be someone who knows. For good measure, I will contact my local one. Thanks!

Most rehabers do not know the laws of every state, only the ones in which they have rehabbed. Laws regarding wildlife and exotics is different in every state. I do hope you contact your local authorities to make sure you are not holding or propagating wildlife ilegally.