PDA

View Full Version : Mind too active - less sleep..

CountryWolf07
11-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Anyone has this problem? I do. It's gotten to be very annoying lately. I can't remember the last time I had a full 8 hours of sleep at night! I always seem to be able to fall asleep around 11:30-midnight then so often during the night, I wake up around 2-3am, sometimes if I'm lucky 4:30-5am. I just woke up about 10 minutes ago, and it's about 4:30am right now, and I'm going to attempt to go back to sleep, but I am starting to feel "awake". I don't have a job to go to everyday, I don't have something to get up early for a lot of times, and gosh, I HOPE I find a job soon enough and that I will get into a routine. This is getting old. I think my mind is so active that it won't stop running and relax when I drift off to sleep. I can't stop thinking about a lot of things, such as money, my life, etc. meanwhile I do all this, I should know I am absolutely fine with a lot of things I have currently. Should I attempt herbal night teas to see if it will help me sleep through the night, any suggestions?

Medusa
11-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Try Melatonin. Your body produces it naturally but sometimes you need a little help. It's all natural, you can buy it at any health food store. That should help. It's miserable when you can't get any shuteye. :)

Catherinedana
11-03-2009, 06:47 AM
It's not a bad idea to have a "routine" anyway. Try to keep some regular hours and that may help your body get adjusted, then maybe you can get a good night's sleep.

I'm not a good sleeper either and even if I get a full night's sleep I am rarely rested. I try not to go to bed too late because if I'm "overtired" everything gets out of whack. I usually wake up twice in the night as well. I have extremely vivid dreams and I think I am very "active" in my deep sleep (my mind is working and my body iand emotionss are reacting to the stimulus, even if I am not moving around much).

I feel for you - there have been times in my life when "Sleep was the enemy!" either because I couldn't or because I had bad dreams. I have always had sleep issues. Did you have nightmares or sleep problems when you were a child?

Sweet dreams (I hope!)
Cathy

aTailOf2Kitties
11-03-2009, 07:02 AM
certain times of year I have trouble sleeping because my brain won't shut up. It is definitely frustrating!

kokopup
11-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Medusa
Try Melatonin. Your body produces it naturally but sometimes you need a little help. It's all natural, you can buy it at any health food store. That should help. It's miserable when you can't get any shuteye.

I have sleep issues myself. I have found that Melatonin does help with my sleep patterns. If I only get 4-5 hours of sleep I'm OK if it is REM sleep where I have dreams. If I don't dream then I wake up feeling exhausted. Melatonin helps me dream.

Queen of Poop
11-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm not sleeping well these days, given whats going on in my life. I got Melatonin on the weekend and haven't found it's helping at all yet. Perhaps it needs a bit of time to get into my system and get working. So far the best thing to get me back to sleep are kitty cuddles. Cali was awesome last night, such a sweet girl.

pomtzu
11-03-2009, 07:54 AM
I very seldom have a lack of sleep issue, but when I do go thru one of those rare spells, Benadryl does the trick for me.

k9krazee
11-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Try skipping a night's sleep...then by the next night you'll sleep like a baby. ;)

CountryWolf07
11-03-2009, 08:32 AM
I feel for you - there have been times in my life when "Sleep was the enemy!" either because I couldn't or because I had bad dreams. I have always had sleep issues. Did you have nightmares or sleep problems when you were a child?

Sweet dreams (I hope!)
Cathy

I did have nightmares when I was a child, but I rarely have them now. I do dream a lot, though! Most of the time, it's connected to my emotions.

I'll try a sleeping aid if I need to. Maybe working out would help as well - worth a shot! :)

Haha, I haven't done that in a while, skipping a night's sleep, and that was last year in college!

Pembroke_Corgi
11-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I never had sleep problems until I became pregnant. Now, I have the same problem sometimes. I have no trouble falling asleep, but if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't fall back asleep. Right now I have an infected wisdom tooth that is impacted, so I'm in a lot of pain every night even with Tylenol 3, so I haven't slept much the last few days. I can't wait to get this stupid tooth out!

I would talk to your doctor if your sleep issues are interfering with your daily activities.

Marigold2
11-03-2009, 08:52 AM
When I can't sleep I get up and do some light exercise, very light, just flexing and after 10 minutes or so my mucles relax and off to sleep I go. Good luck.
Something that always puts me to sleep is the sound of rain, perhaps a CD in your bedroom with a soft rain shower would help.

Catherinedana
11-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Something that always puts me to sleep is the sound of rain, perhaps a CD in your bedroom with a soft rain shower would help.

That's a good idea. I have a couple of CDs that never fail to get me to sleep initially. But it's sleeping through the night that's the problem.

I think folks like us who had sleep issues as children never actually grow out of them. . .it's just part of our make up and we may just have to learn to live with them.

Don't use sleep aids - they will make your sleep an utter mess. Do the best you can with natural things as Medusa suggested, relaxation methods and be mindful of what you do before bed (eating or drinking, scary or upsetting movies or TV, etc).

Taz_Zoee
11-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Melatonin worked for me several years ago. I tried it again more recently and it had the opposite affect on me. It actually made me have the problem you are having now. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep.
I NEVER sleep through the night. EVER! Sunday night I went to bed at 8:30 and got up at 5:30, but woke up several times. Last night I went to bed around 11:30-midnight and woke up at 5am. I think your body gets used to less sleep eventually. It's not fun, but I've adapted.
The best nights sleep I've had in a long time was at my moms when it was just ME. Bruce wasn't there and neither were the dogs. I slept SOOO good!

I agree with the exercise idea. I should try it sometime too. :p

sparks19
11-03-2009, 09:53 AM
hmmm I will also have to try melatonin.

I too have trouble sleeping. I've been like this as long as I can remember. I sleep for three or four hours and then I wake up in the middle of the night and my brain is running wild and I can't quiet it. I'm up for about two hours and then finally start to drift back off. I will fall asleep HARD for an hour.. to the point I have a dream... but then I wake up again and realize I hardly slept any time at all. it's quite annoying.

Catty1
11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I am sleeping better lately...I had thought about getting tested for sleep apnea or something like it, apparently sleeping and not feeling rested is a major symptom of that. I might still.

When I was in broadcasting school, after a day of radio and visual, my mind would just RUN instant replays over and over. The ONLY thing that helped was a warm/hot bath. Slept like a baby. I was/am not in the bath habit, so MADE myself do it, but it was sure worth it!

Pinot's Mom
11-03-2009, 01:46 PM
I have these periods occasionally as well and find, if I really think about it, they tend to be when I'm not taking adequate care of myself. Exercise, eat correctly, pay attention to what your body is telling you. Unfortunately, the off switch on your mind is not always set on auto; there are times you just have to get up and walk around. Make a list of the things your brain won't be quiet about so you can take care of them the next day, then maybe you can rest.

phesina
11-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I have the same problem. Took Melatonin for quite a while, but it has not helped at all. What I found best is a generic Benadryl knockoff.