PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed for my step dad

sparks19
10-30-2009, 10:06 PM
this is just... crazy. we are all pretty upset about everything.

My step dad has been sick for almost a year. very run down... two bouts of pneumonia... xrays every week for 4 months... a surgery a month and a half ago to remove fluid from his lungs which they removed almost half a gallon of fluid.

Well... after the first surgery he still wasn't improving. after many rounds of antibiotics he still wasn't able to get rid of whatever it is that is wrong with him.

He had to go for another surgery. they were sending him to a speciallist for this surgery. They live in Chatham Ontario and had to go to London Ontario (at least an hour trip each way) he went for the consultation... then had to go BACK for the pre admition...

THEN they called him two days before to say he was going in for surgery... thank god for a cancellation or he still may not have had his surgery.

they were going in to physically scrape his lungs to get rid of the infection and test for asbestos exposure. He was being put under for this and had two drainage tubes put in. this was wednesday afternoon.

the surgery went well... they removed A LOT of infection and the doctor described it as a jello consistency lining the walls of his lungs... it was BAD. but no sign of asbestos but still biopsy was sent out.

fast forward to today... ten am this morning. LESS than 48 hours after surgery the come in to tell him he has to leave because they have no room for him and they need his bed for other people :eek: this is a 60 year old man, who has been very ill for a year, who they STILL don't know what is wrong with him, who just had his second surgery in less than two months less than 48 hours ago.

Now he has to scramble to find a ride out of the hospital. they live an hour away. luckily my brother was off today and picked him up and took him to his house. my mom got there after work to pick him up... he needed to rest all day because he was feeling horrible and was very run down. so my mom waited until he was rested up enough to make the drive home. THIS is a man who cannot even handle going to his own doctors appts in his OWN town for an hour without getting run down for days. he is SICK.

on top of THAT? they didn't even give him any antibiotics or even a prescription for one. the man is fighting a major infection with TWO open incisions. WTF? after he was supposed to be in the hospital for 5 days on an iv antibiotic drip.

this is... unbelievable. I told my mom she needs to get on the phone with his doctor ASAP and tell him about EVERYTHING and see if they will give him antibiotics. but... SORRY if you are sick... you have to leave cause we don't have room for you :( very disappointing. VERY.

I am certain he is more comfortable at home for sure... but that is not the point. they didn't send him home cause he was healthy and OK... they sent him home cause they just don't have room. supply doesn't meet the demand.

Karen
10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
How horrible. Kicking him out at this point is completely unconscionable. I know he's in no shape to do so, but someone needs to scream at whoever is in charge of your healthcare. If they didn't have a bed for him, they shouldn't have done the surgery at this time, simple as that.

sparks19
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
How horrible. Kicking him out at this point is completely unconscionable. I know he's in no shape to do so, but someone needs to scream at whoever is in charge of your healthcare. If they didn't have a bed for him, they shouldn't have done the surgery at this time, simple as that.

I agree... they brougth him in on a cancellation... but if there was no room then why bring him in?

my mom said it was horrible... there were people lining the hallways becuase there were no rooms for them.. and ambulances lined up outside with patients in them because they couldnt bring t hem in.

it's just... unbelievable

if htey had to send him home they could have at least given him something to fight infection after SURGERY.

Taz_Zoee
10-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow, this is crazy. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. I hope someone can raise some heck and get something done about this so he doesn't decline again or more. :(

sparks19
10-30-2009, 11:08 PM
thank you for all the thougths and prayers they really mean a lot to us.

don't get me wrong. I am glad he is home and REALLY resting comfortably as possible... but it was the manner in which it happened AND the lack of notice and preparation.

I just don't understand how they could overlook antibiotics when he was supposed to stay for 5 days on IV antibiotics.

Miranda_Rae
10-31-2009, 12:27 AM
WOWOWW!!!! It amazes me how the hospitals have gone so down hill latey. I hope he starts to feel better and they can get him some antibiotics or something!!! Please keep us updated on how he is doing. He is in my thoughts.

sparks19
10-31-2009, 12:39 AM
thank you.

these hospitals are in canada.

I cannot believe for the LIFE of me that they would send someone in HIS condition home wihtout ANY antibiotics. it's just CRAZY to me

and REALLY? this is all over the stupid H1N1 hysteria. they are hospitalizing ANYONE and everyone with it and kicking out patients that NEED to be there.

Medusa
10-31-2009, 07:30 AM
This is really a shame. Of course, prayers are going up for your stepdad right now that all will be well. Keep the faythe.

Queen of Poop
10-31-2009, 07:57 AM
That's our great Canadian health care system in action.

I pray for your step dad to recover from his illness and the mistreatment.

phesina
10-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Prayers for your stepdad. How horrible what he had to go through on top of his ailments and surgeries.

Catty1
10-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Go to the CBC! AND pick up the phone and yell at the MLA/MP!

The media will grab this and run with it...

14 people have died in Alberta with H1N1 - the vaccination clinics have been poorly planned, with everyone from elderly to children lining up OUTSIDE for hours to wait...and it is NOT warm here.

Does your stepdad qualify for a home nurse or someone from the Victorian Order of Nurses? (VON)

It's maddening - but if your stepdad was exposed to anyone with H1N1, he would likely not survive catching it.

PRAYERS that he gets real help soon!

pomtzu
10-31-2009, 01:18 PM
What a scary situation. I just can't believe that they actually sent him home after such an invasive procedure - and with no medications either. :confused: Absolutely reckless.....:mad:

My prayers for your step dad - that he will be okay - in spite of the inadequate care and shoddy treatment.

If this is what the U.S. government is striving for in health care reform, then God help us all!

cassiesmom
10-31-2009, 07:26 PM
I was thinking along the same line as catty1- would your stepdad qualify for visiting nurse services? With the right care, he might be better off to recover at home, away from people with things like viral illnesses and antibiotic-resistant infections. Did they remove the drains before he went home? Some of the newest antibiotics (like Cipro and levofloxacin) are just as effective when taken as a pill as they are when given intravenously.

Prayers for your stepdad and you! (((HUGS)))

cassiesmom
11-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Sparks19- how is your stepdad?

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9483814

sparks19
11-01-2009, 09:13 PM
he's hanging in there.

he was in pretty bad shape yesterday. couldn't eat anything at all. today he's a little better... at least he is eating. but he's just been hanging out in bed and sleeping which is good and bad. he is supposed to get up and move around but it's very hard for him right now.

he's handling it as best he can. my mom has to go back to work tomorrow so he will be alone which worries us a bit though

thank you for asking

caseysmom
11-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Prayers on their way for your stepdad.