PDA

View Full Version : Pet Ashes...What do you think?

happylabs
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM
I have ashes at my house from my cat Kit Kat in one urn and ashes from my Black Lab Herbert T. in another urn. I still have to pick up Casey's ashes from the vet's office. Wow...it has been almost two months!

Here is my question. I have seen a lot of really nice urns online. Do you think it would be wrong to get one large urn and put all 3 pets' ashes in one? Please be honest because this is just a thought I had and I have no clue if it would be a bad idea.

Thanks.

Queen of Poop
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
It's a good idea, I just can't imagine doing it!

I have the ashes from 2 dogs and 3 ferrets now.

Casper
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I personally would keep the ashes separate. I believe that I would like to be able to tell everyone apart... you know? :) I can't say that for sure, though... as I only have one cremated pet. I suppose if you kept the ashes each in their own little bag in the urn then telling them apart wouldn't be as much of a problem.

I guess I think too much into it!

I am glad to hear of some other PTers who keep their pets' ashes. When people find out that we have Frisk's ashes they sometimes don't know what to think...

Grace
10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
I think it's a wonderful idea!

We have pet ashes (7) buried all over the back yard, complete with markers. I put the ashes in a Tupperware or Rubbermaid container, with a lid. I enclose a laminated photo of the animal and a copy of The Rainbow Bridge poem.

A couple of my cats are buried in multiple areas. One grew up next door - when they moved, she stayed with us. So when she died, I asked the current neighbors if they would mind if I mixed a teaspoon of Bernadette in the herb garden. Fortunately, they are cat owners - so there's a little bit of Bernie where she grew up.

BTW, when my husband and I die, we want to be cremated and have our ashes mixed together.

moosmom
10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Absolutely!!! I didn't do that with Mollie Rose's and Casey's ashes because they each have urns. But I do think it's a great idea.

When I die, I've put it in my will that all my cats ashes will be combined with mine and scattered at Bolton Lake.

My friend got the most beautiful urn I've seen. It's carved wood and has a spot for Sassy's picture, and it plays music that plays "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". You can find alot of good things like that online. That's where Steph got hers.

Taz_Zoee
10-30-2009, 10:32 PM
We have DJ (Bruce's Cocker) and Taz on the shelf along with our pictures and things. We kept the cards we got from the vet office and DJ's collars and a toy.
My sister has 4 boxes up in her old room at my parents house of all her dogs. They were at my parents when they went to the bridge so they are all together in her room.
Personally, I wouldn't mix them together. But that's just me. I don't see anything wrong with doing it, I just wouldn't want to. I like having their own separate places.
When my brothers dog died this past May they had him cremated only because the ground was too hard to dig a grave for him. So when the ground softens up they will bury his ashes along side his buddy, Digger, who passed several years ago. They live in the country with acerage, that's why this is possible.

pomtzu
10-31-2009, 07:05 AM
I think it's just a matter of what you feel is the right thing for you. I personally don't believe that there is a right or wrong way to handle it.

I have the ashes of all my RB kids. My 3 Siamese are in one cedar box, but in separate plastic bags. I have 2 other cats that have separate containers, and my 3 Lhasas, my terrier, and my son's GSD are all separate.

When I pass on, I will be cremated and all the pet ashes will be mixed with mine, and we will be scattered in the ocean. If I pass before my furkids that I have now, then the ocean journey will wait until they are able to join me and the rest of the crew.

Alysser
10-31-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Sassy's ashes are one our hutch in the kitchen with a nice picture on top. It was what we got from the crematory, a beautiful wooden carved box with flowers on it, and "sassy" on a brass plate. :) I have seen urns where you can get pictures of the pets painted on it. Maybe you can do that so you know which one of your babies are in the urn.

chocolatepuppy
10-31-2009, 10:21 AM
I personally don't think I'd want to mix mine, maybe separate bags in the same container, but it's up to the individual. I think you should do what ever makes you more comfortable.

happylabs
10-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I would keep them each in their separate bags if I put them in one container. Still not sure what I will do. Thanks again.

colshe
10-31-2009, 02:12 PM
That's what exactly I did and I have peace of mind. I can easily visit the place and there would always be room for others.

Halloween Dog Treats (http://woofgangbakerylakewoodranch.com/twitter-archive/bring-your-pet-in-costume-tomorrow-to-woof-gang-bakery-lakewood-ranch-be-eligible-to-register-to-win-a-years-gourmet-dog-treats)
Homemade Dog Treats (http://woofgangbakerylakewoodranch.com/homemade-dog-treats)

lbaker
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Each of my RB dearhearts are in a small wooden carved box... with a small "charm"-like dog or cat attached to a lace ribbon sent by the crematorium (sp?) ... (I have often thought that I should have had my husband taken there :o my son was at first appalled but then understood) We have discussed taking the dear little boxes and burying them in a spirit circle in our yard. I own the house and would never sell it.. it will go to my son. I wish to be part of that circle when I go. I have never discussed this before. Now I'm embarressed to even mention it

Pinot's Mom
11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
There is no reason to feel embarassed or strange about anything you decide. It's your relationship with your pet. I, personally, have none of the ashes of my animals. That's my decision. They're in my heart forever.

Genny
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Well I have never had any of my animals cremated we've always buried them so I wouldn't really know, but I guess I might as well give my opinion and say that I don't see anything wrong w/ it. They're your animals and you chose to have them cremated and if you want to mix the ashes you've got the right to that as well :)

I was wondering though--where do you go to get that done for an animal???

happylabs
11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
My vet is located in an animal hospital and they do the cremating there and you pick the ashes up in a few days. They put the ashes in a plastic bag and then into a generic black urn.

Genny
11-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Ohhhh....ok....thanks for explaining it :)

Miranda_Rae
11-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I personally have never cremated my pets before. We have always buried them. But I think its completely up to you to do what you feel is best for you and your pets, and what you are most comfortable with.

happylabs
11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Finally picked up Casey's ashes today. Have been trying for a week to go there and everytime I started tearing up. It has been two months. I was okay today. Been thinking of her a lot lately.

As it turns out they put her ashes in a beautiful rectangular wooden box. I am going to place her wooden box on my entertainment center in my family room along with Kit Kat's and Herbert's urns.

Taz_Zoee
11-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I was lucky that my niece was visiting when Taz was ready to come home. She picked him up for me. He is also in a little wooden box. And the box has a nice scrolly etching on the top and a small plaque on the front with his name and The "D" Family under it.

It does get easier, but there are always things that bring back a flood of memories and that flood usually releases out the eyes.

Anikaca77
11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
We have Anika's ashes siting on a shelf with a picture frame my husband bought me for x-mas to put her picture in.

I think we will probably do that for the rest of our pets but I'm not certain. A box came with Anika's ashes and it was very pretty. The reason we chose to get her done was because we rent and have no place to bury her. We could of buried her at my mom's place but I wanted to have Anika with us.

Adelina
08-27-2011, 06:21 AM
happylab... you can use pet cremation urns for your vet.... there are huge range of it...and available in different range... actually before a year.. i lost my parrot...he was so much talkative... i always enjoyed to talk to with him..:love::love:... no pet can take place of him... so for his memory i make a memorial stone urn... and now i have another one...but he is learning... but not gud as previous one...

Semaj
01-05-2012, 05:07 AM
yup...i think you can choose three different boxes ...which are smaller in size...keep with photograph.. cremation is the best idea to keep ashes...

Keaton
05-16-2012, 02:50 AM
yeah...it's wrong...i do not agree with it...because you will unable to differentiate your own pets....that is you can plant three trees...of different nature type...it will be easier.....

TamanduaGirl
05-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Keaton appears to just be a spammer. Notice the crafty sig and mostly nonsensical post.

I have my old dog in a nice box urn with her photo on it and carvings in the wood. We were renting so couldn't bury her and would have hated leaving her behind once moving.

I donated Stewie's remains to the vet school because I couldn't bear dealing with it and hoped it would help others.

Kamena(an ill-fated male that died from shipping stress) I first buried in the woods. It felt like the funeral Stewie never had. A few months later I dug up his mummified corpse and decomposed him in a back yard cage then cleaned the bones. I hope to get them mounted eventually(articulated) but till then they are in a lovely heart fabric box.

Kat died last year and was buried under the picnic table as it was one of her favorite places.

How the remains are dealt with is really for the living so anything goes long as it makes you feel better.