PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here from North Dakota?

Twisterdog
10-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Any PTers live in North Dakota?

My husband took a job up there about a month ago, and so I guess we are moving. Not sure what to think of this. My husband and I have both lived in Wyoming a LONG time. All our family and friends are here, not to mention the house and business I have worked very hard on for fourteen years. Going to be strange and scary.

Just wondering if anyone lives there, and can tell me about it, first hand.

Thanks!

Miranda_Rae
10-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Where are you going to be living in North Dakota?!? I used to live there for 5 to 6 years.

Twisterdog
10-30-2009, 11:15 AM
The Minot area.

I've never even been to North Dakota. It's the only state, with the exception of the Eastern seaboard, that I haven't been in. I think it's revenge .... North Dakota's karma is telling me, "HA! You thought me unworthy of even a simple visit ... now you shall LIVE here!"

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Well thats very interesting because thats where I lived!!:eek:

First off I don't know what Wyoming is like, but its VERY windy in Minot, and secondly when it blows wind the snow gets hard and like a dirt coating over it. Its a pretty fair sized town of about 30,000 people and then they have the Air Force base, which is about 10,000. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of dog stuff there :(.
They have an agility club named Action Agility and they are pretty cool and they are very nice.
They also have a dog park, thats nice. Well considering that thats the only dog park that I've been to! ha
They also do puppy obedience. There is another obedience class in town held by Ambush Kennels. There might be more things since I have moved, I am not sure. Its been awhile since I was back there. There is no PetSmart or Petco. They have a fairly nice mall (I personally like it alot).
There are plenty of fields to let your puppies run around in, no one really cares, as long as you aren't doing anything illegal. The people are very nice there and friendly. Its a slower pace that alot of places. And personally Minot is not that bad. I rather liked it. There are no trees (or very few) but the sunsets are AMAZING and when the fields are getting ready to be harvested its very pretty.
There are lots and lots of deer, and i dont know how you feel about hunting but Minot is a HUGE hunting area. There are moose there and i believe there have been sightings of mountain lions.
Twisterdog, Minots not really THAT bad if you get used to it, and can find a way to get involved in the dog community. :)
Also, Minot has ALOT of churches and there are alot of church activities going on there also (dont know how you feel bout that, but there ya go! :D)

IF you have any other questions just let me know! :)

Twisterdog
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks! I'm used to the wind. It's very windy here, and very cold. I hate it, but I'm used to it.

It's also very brown and dusty here, with no trees or water. It is high plains desert here. My husband is up there and said it was way greener and wetter there than here, so that's good.

It seems typically mid-western to me, albeit colder. I lived in Indiana for for years, and traveled around Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan quite a bit. It was ok, and I'm expecting ND to be rather like that.

I'm looking forward to living hear a bigger town, where I live now is about 20,000 people. I think I'll get a job at the zoo ... that would a hoot, to be a zookeeper!

Thanks for the input!

Miranda_Rae
10-31-2009, 12:19 AM
I have only been to two zoos before, the one in the twin cities, and the one in Minot. The one in Minot is not as big as I would like for a zoo, but its ok. I think you will like it. And if you need advice on what vet to go to up there I would go to West Oaks Animal Hospital. The clinic is run by a wife and husband team. I always went to the wife, Amy. Shes really nice. Shes very polite and helpful and really cares about the animals. And if ts an after hour call shes very good bout those too. God knows I have had plenty with Heidi (shes very accident prone).:rolleyes: I dont know if you kennel or anything, but I've heard that Sterling Kennels arent the greatest. THere are two other kennels there also, Best Pet Kennels and Ambush. I used to take Heidi to the Ambush one, but I quit after I realized she gets really anxious and stressed out in a kennel situation. And she always came back with no voice cause she barked too much. When are you moving there?

Shelteez2
11-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Wow!! What a change for you. Exciting and scary.
When you move you will be 11 hours away. But.... you are actually only 3 hours away from where we went for a vacation this year... and might go next year as well. :D
Good luck with everything!

Twisterdog
11-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Wow!! What a change for you. Exciting and scary.
When you move you will be 11 hours away. But.... you are actually only 3 hours away from where we went for a vacation this year... and might go next year as well. :D
Good luck with everything!

I know! I am going to try to get up there either this week or next, and find a house. It is crazy stuff!

Seriously, still eleven hours away?? Dang, Canada is big! LOL. I was thinking it would be like five hours away. Still, though, we could meet in the middle on a weekend!