PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my Yodie, please; She has MRSA; *Update* 1/5; good/bad news; #269

Pages : [1] 2

Medusa
10-29-2009, 01:13 PM
It's her ear again, the one that had the polyp in it 6 years ago. Occasionally, she gets crud in that ear but this time I noticed her shaking her head, walking w/her head tilted and rubbing her ear up against the furniture. Yesterday she shook her head and a bunch of stuff flew out of her ear. Eeew! I called Dr. Lee right away, took her in for an appt. today and he did a culture and a biopsy. The fact that he did a biopsy makes me a little nervous because I don't recall his doing that before. He said that he couldn't even see her eardrum because there was so much crud in there. So I'll get results tomorrow, hopefully. Please give Yodie a little thought when you're saying your prayers. I don't want another ear polyp growing in that ear.

Btw, I had sent him an email reminding him that he said he'd do back flips if Pidge made it another year which, of course, she has and that he'd better warm up those muscles. When he walked into the room he said "Well now, everyone in the office wants to see me do back flips". I said "Yes, and I want pictures, too." He threw his head back and really gave me a belly laugh and said "I'll bet you do, too, don't ya? I'm not as spry as I used to be". LOL Who is?

Taz_Zoee
10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Awww, I will keep her in my thoughts. She reminds me of my Paizly Poo. I hope she doesn't have another polyp and it is a quick fix for her ear trouble.

Pinot's Mom
10-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Prayers sent for poor Yodie, girl! No more crud!

jennielynn1970
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Prayers for Yodie.... pets and scritchies for her too!

astrid
10-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Prayers and a candle for her...

Kisses Yodie girl, get better soon:love:

Anikaca77
10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Prays coming your way for Yodie. She's adorable.

catmandu
10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
My Handsome John Hancock:eek: had a deformed ear:eek: , I am not sure if it was an infection , or he had been stung by a Bee or Wasp:( as they were quite bad this year and came in through the Ebony Beau Tubster
Enclosed Porch!:confused:
We are all sending Prayers to You Yodie , that Your Meeowmie and White Coat can make things better!!!:love::love::love:

moosmom
10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Aw, poor Yodie! I relate to your problem. MooShoo, being hairless, needs his ears cleaned at least twice a week. And sometimes, he'll do what Yodie did, shakes his head and some God awful piece of brown crud comes flying out of his ear. Because he has no fur to block the gunk from settling in his ears, he gets them alot.

I hope and pray that Yodie will be okay and there's nothing to worry about.

phesina
10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Prayers and good healing wishes for Yodie from us too!

Medusa
10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanx, everyone. She's so healthy, it's ridiculous except for this ear thingie. I clean her ears every day since she had the polyp surgery but, apparently, that still doesn't prevent her from getting crud buildup. I don't want to have to put her through another surgery. Laser surgery is fairly painless unless the polyp grows down into her throat as it did last time. Then, Dr. Lee says, it burns her throat, makes it difficult to eat and swallow, poor girl. She's on Clavamox tablets and Baytril right now so, hopefully, this will clear it all up. Dr. Lee will be on vacation next week so I want her on the road to recovery before he leaves. I love the other vets but you all know how I feel about Dr. Lee. :)

gini
10-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Prayers will be offered for little Yodie, Mary.

cassiesmom
10-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Prayers and good healing wishes for Yodie from us too!

From me and Cassie too!

Catty1
10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Such a pretty grey girl with those bits of muted Tortie colour. :) Prayers that this is easily treatable. Please give her hugs and kissies from me!:love:

Freedom
10-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Yoda, my Cuddles is specially sending you, another tortie, some get well wishes.

All of us here have paws crossed that this will be an easy fix.

phesina
10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
A candle for her, too: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9464163

katladyd
10-29-2009, 11:36 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with sweet Yodie. Get well soon, pretty girl!:love:

pomtzu
10-30-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm just now seeing this, Mary.

So sorry that you have more kitty troubles. Hoping that Yodie will soon be back as good as new.

Love and hugs from the Delaware Crew. :love:

kb2yjx
10-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Sorry for being late in posting!!! Prayers and a candle for Yodie!!!

Pembroke_Corgi
10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Yodie is beautiful. :) I hope she is ok! Good thoughts on the way.

Prairie Purrs
10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Healing thoughts for Yodie! I hope that the meds will clear up the ear crud right away.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Prayers on the way from me for you both too! :love::love:

Medusa
10-30-2009, 03:02 PM
I couldn't wait any longer so I called the office. Test results aren't in yet and Dr. Lee will be on vacation all next week. The vet tech told me that it has to be Dr. Lee to give me the test results; I'm not sure why that is but ok. So they said they would call him and he'll call me as soon as the results are back even though he'll be on vacation. I believe that. He's that kind of vet. So. I wait. Over the weekend. Ugh. I thought I was beating the clock by getting her in there before he left.

Queen of Poop
10-30-2009, 03:16 PM
It truly sucks trying to be patient when the test results are for our pets. Good thoughts to you both and prayers that you get the news sooner rather than later.

slick
10-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Forgive me Mary. I don't know how I missed this thread. :(

I'm so sorry about widdle Yodie. Yes, we all know too well the waiting game. It's never easy. You bet that both of you will be in my prayers. Yodi is so sweet. Please plant a kiss on that furry forehead from me. :love:

{{hugs Mary}}

momcat
10-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Oh Mary, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Count on many prayers to be prayed for your Yodie :love:

kokopup
10-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Mary, I'm sorry I missed your thread, I will have Positive thoughts and prayers for you and Yodie. Hope the test come out ok.

Randi
10-31-2009, 10:24 AM
I missed this too - sorry! Uh, the waiting is the hard part, but I hope Yodie's test results will come back and show nothing serious.

Fister and I will keep our paws and fingers crossed.

Give your sweet girl some kisses from us. :love:

momcat
10-31-2009, 03:31 PM
How is sweet Yodie doing today? Sending more prayers along with gentle lovies :love:

Medusa
10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
She's doing ok. She never was sick, just irritated w/that ear, always rubbing it and shaking her head. The meds seem to be helping w/that a bit, though. As soon as I hear her test results, I'll update everyone. Thanx for asking. :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-31-2009, 06:04 PM
I hope she receives good test results. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

For some reason my Sunny always has a lot of ear wax in his ears but it doesn't really seem to bother him. My RB cat Pepper was the same way.

Medusa
10-31-2009, 06:06 PM
This is more than wax. This is mucous like stuff and it smells horrible. This time it isn't as bad, though. I just wish I understood why she keeps getting this. It's always the ear that had the polyp in it, never the other ear.

Catty1
10-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Maybe a bit of scar tissue irritating the ear canal?

Hope she is more comfortable very soon.

And that Dr Lee spends his week off getting in shape for the backflips....;)

Medusa
11-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Dr. Lee said that the cultures came back showing that Yodie has MRSA. He feels that it's because that ear has been compromised ever since she had the polyp removed. So she's to stay on the Clavamox and he wants her on Clindamycin as well for another secondary infection and I'm to put a drop of Clindamycin in her ear along w/the med that has Baytril in it.

I asked him what the chances are of the rest of the Fur Posse getting it and he said that as long as they don't have any sores or scratches not to worry. As long as I always wash my hands thoroughly each time I shouldn't worry about contracting it myself either.

He will do another culture in a month to see if it's dried up but he said MRSA is a bugger to get rid of. I'm trying not to panic.

Taz_Zoee
11-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Well at least you know what it is. But I don't. What is MRSA?

I hope you can get it under control and the rest of the posse and you do not get it. I will continue to keep you and your babies in my thoughts.

Medusa
11-05-2009, 09:34 AM

I hope you can get it under control and the rest of the posse and you do not get it. I will continue to keep you and your babies in my thoughts.

It's scary stuff. It's the bacteria that spreads like wildfire and if humans get it, they could end up losing limbs.

Queen of Poop
11-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Prayers for Yodie and your entire household. Just looked up MRSA, it's nasty to be sure. Hoping it can be taken care of with the meds and that no one else, including you catches it.

Medusa
11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Prayers for Yodie and your entire household. Just looked up MRSA, it's nasty to be sure. Hoping it can be taken care of with the meds and that no one else, including you catches it.

Thanx. We definitely need prayers for this one. A flesh eating bacteria is quite scary. A friend's daughter had it and was quarantined for 7 days. Dr. Lee feels confident, though, that as long as I wash my hands each time I handle her, I should be fine and, being as fussy as I am, I do that anyhow so I'm going to try to hold a positive thought.

Grace
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) is a bacterial infection that is highly resistant to some antibiotics.

Here (https://health.google.com/health/ref/MRSA)is some info about it.

smokey the elder
11-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Please wear gloves when you medicate Yodie. You don't want to get MRSA into some tiny cut you don't know about.

I'm glad you got a definitive diagnosis. So often the vets (and people doctors, too) throw their hands up and say "I dunno."

Yodie, please cooperate with Meowmie. I bet there are treats in it for you. Clindamycin is vile, but works really well!

moosmom
11-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Mary,

You and Yodie are in my thoughts and prayers.

lvpets2002
11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
:love: I sure hope Yodie gets to feeling better soon.. We will keep Yodie in our Prayers for sure.. Bigg Huggss & Whisker Kissess..

Pinot's Mom
11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Prayers you can eradicate this really, really, quickly and safely! :love:

jennielynn1970
11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Poor Yodie.... I hope that the meds will clear it up quickly and easily.

I had a MRSA infection on my nose a few years back, looked like a pimple to start with, but never healed, and finally went to the hospital to have it looked at when it was just nasty and painful. Was on some majorly strong meds for about 10 days. It cleared up, but I still have a scar there. Hope you are extra careful when cleaning Yodie's ear, because you sure as heck don't want a MRSA infection.

Laura's Babies
11-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Eddie kept coming down with that when he was in the burn unite. He has had it since he has been home too. It is nasy, nasty stuff! Hope Yodie gets it out of her system ok and heals fast.. Poor girl!

krazyaboutkatz
11-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Mary, I'm sorry to hear this.:( I hope that she'll clear up quickly and that no one else will catch this. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

One of my former roommates had Lupus and she came down with this. The nurse told me that I had nothing to worry about since I was healthy. She said that if I had a compromised immune system then I might catch it. I had Storm, Pepper, and Sunny at the time and I sure didn't know that cats could get this too.

Medusa
11-05-2009, 11:51 AM

I had a MRSA infection on my nose a few years back, looked like a pimple to start with, but never healed, and finally went to the hospital to have it looked at when it was just nasty and painful. Was on some majorly strong meds for about 10 days. It cleared up, but I still have a scar there. Hope you are extra careful when cleaning Yodie's ear, because you sure as heck don't want a MRSA infection.

I'm going to take the suggestion of wearing gloves when I handle Yodie. I don't want to take any chances w/the rest of the Fur Posse or myself. I have two auto immune diseases as it is so my system is compromised already.

Anikaca77
11-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Prays are coming your way.

Melissa

Taz_Zoee
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Wow, I've never heard of this before. Thanks for the definition and link, Grace.

As I said before, I hope you can get this under control and it doesn't spread to anyone else in your home.

Medusa
11-05-2009, 12:08 PM

I'm certainly not glad that you had MRSA, Jenn, but I'm thankful that you told me about it and that it cleared up. I'm not an alarmist but I know how quickly things like this can get out of control.

Prairie Purrs
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm going to take the suggestion of wearing gloves when I handle Yodie. I don't want to take any chances w/the rest of the Fur Posse or myself. I have two auto immune diseases as it is so my system is compromised already.

Yes, do be careful. It's good that you know what you're dealing with, though, so you can take some extra precautions. I hope that Yodie's able to get rid of the nasty bug as quickly as possible.

emily_the_spoiled
11-05-2009, 02:01 PM
If the Clindamycin and Baytril don't clear it up there are still a few more antibiotics that you can try. Unfortunately they can get very expensive very fast...

Please take care not to get it yourself or any of the furry posse.

Good luck

Medusa
11-05-2009, 03:05 PM
If the Clindamycin and Baytril don't clear it up there are still a few more antibiotics that you can try. Unfortunately they can get very expensive very fast...

Please take care not to get it yourself or any of the furry posse.

Good luck

Yeppers, I do know that already. Just the meds today cost me $125.00 plus a large box of latex gloves was $13.00. She's worth every penny. When I think of how sick and thin she was when I rescued her and how otherwise healthy she is now, I want to do all I can for her. Fortunately, she's easy to pill w/the Clavamox and the Clindamycin I can squirt into her mouth and a drop in her ear along w/the Baytril. It's catching her that's the hard part. If she hears me moving around, she bolts and she's as fast as greased lightning. I hate admitting that I sometimes find it difficult to outsmart a feline. :confused:

phesina
11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Prayers and healing wishes and a candle (http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9511492) for Yodie, and for you and the rest of the Fur Posse too, that you will be free of this ailment soon.

cassiesmom
11-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Sweet Yodie ... please try to take all your medicine for your ouchy ear. Gentle hugs to you, precious girl.

slick
11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry I have not responded until now. My prayers are offered for you and sweet Yodie. :love:

Freedom
11-05-2009, 09:20 PM
It's catching her that's the hard part. If she hears me moving around, she bolts and she's as fast as greased lightning. I hate admitting that I sometimes find it difficult to outsmart a feline. :confused:

Don't we all, Mary? Kitties are SMART, lol.

Probably already thought of / or do this. Can you get her sometimes just for a snuggle, or for a treat? So she doesn't feel that every time you are after her is for meds?

Best wishes to you, Yodie and all the fur posse. This battle (MSRA, not the catching, lol) too Yodie WILL win.

kitten645
11-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Oh Mary I'm so sorry about this but glad you at least have a diagnosis. Please be careful. Do you belong to Costco? I buy latex gloves there that I have in my car trunk and in the kitchen for nastyness. I bet they are much cheaper there. I can check if you want.
Good thoughts to you, Yodie and the whole posse. :love:
Claudia

Medusa
11-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Don't we all, Mary? Kitties are SMART, lol.

Probably already thought of / or do this. Can you get her sometimes just for a snuggle, or for a treat? So she doesn't feel that every time you are after her is for meds?

Best wishes to you, Yodie and all the fur posse. This battle (MSRA, not the catching, lol) too Yodie WILL win.

Oh if only Yodie was a snuggler or a lap cat. She was feral when I rescued her and although she's much easier than she used to be to give a stroke now and then, that's about as far as it goes in the affection department. And she hates treats. LOL So far so good in catching her; I just have to be extra crafty. Nyuh uh uh! ;)

Medusa
11-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Poor little girl can't keep the meds down. I think it's the Clindamycin because she's been fine w/the Clavamox but she needs both. Clindamycin is the one that works best on MRSA. She's vomited twice already this morning. Sigh. Is anything easy in this life? :(

Pinot's Mom
11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Is there any other form of it Yodie might tolerate better?

Prairie Purrs
11-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Poor Yodie! I wonder whether there's anything she can take to settle her stomach that won't prevent the antibiotic from being effective?

Catty1
11-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Pepcid?

Is it in a gel cap? Or can it be ground and put into stinky-yummy wet food? That might help.

Or maybe a shot of Convenia and a higher dose of Clavamox?

HUGS to you and Yodie!

3Catcondo
11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Prayers being sent for you and Yodie. I'm sorry she is not feeling well and not able to keep her meds down. Poor thing. :(

Medusa
11-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Pepcid?

Is it in a gel cap? Or can it be ground and put into stinky-yummy wet food? That might help.

Or maybe a shot of Convenia and a higher dose of Clavamox?

HUGS to you and Yodie!

Dr. Lee is gone until Monday but I have a feeling I know what he's going to say, that MRSA is resistant to most antibiotics. Clindamycin is the one that works best; the Clavamox is for another secondary infection and she's on 65 mg. a day. I'm hoping that she'll get used to it and manage to keep it down because I just bought 3 more bottles of it and Dr. Lee is adamant about not taking returns on meds. Plus I paid the shipping on it rather than drive that distance to pick it up. However, if she continues to vomit, I'll see if there's a Clindamycin pill that I can give her and I'll save the liquid for someone else. I always have it on hand and it has a fairly long shelf life especially if it's refrigerated.

Forgot to mention a positive thing, though: apparently the MRSA is colonized so that means that the rest of the Fur Posse and I are less likely to catch it. She has never had a high fever or lethargy that usually goes along w/MRSA; as a matter of fact, she's as feisty as ever. I managed to catch her off guard last night before I went to dinner w/a friend and I gave her the meds and boy, did she ever get mad! LOL

Grace
11-07-2009, 02:28 PM
However, if she continues to vomit, I'll see if there's a Clindamycin pill that I can give her and I'll save the liquid for someone else. I always have it on hand and it has a fairly long shelf life especially if it's refrigerated.

Clindamycin does come in a pill or capsule - seems to depend upon the dosage. Here. (http://www.1800petmeds.com/Clindamycin-prod10350.html)

It can cause side effects, though, even with pills.

Medusa
11-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Clindamycin does come in a pill or capsule - seems to depend upon the dosage. Here. (http://www.1800petmeds.com/Clindamycin-prod10350.html)

It can cause side effects, though, even with pills.

I rather figured that it did come in pill form and then when I called Dr. Lee's office, one of the vet techs asked if I wanted to order it elsewhere and I said "Why would I want to do that?". She said "Oh, so you want the liquid". I sometimes think that it could be the nasty taste of the liquid. It's very bitter and I keep it refrigerated to take some of the bite out but it apparently isn't helping my Yodie Yodie much. :( Thankfully, she hasn't had any of the other side effects although her stool is awfully mushy but not diarrhea. It's upsetting when the treatment is nearly as bad as the illness.

phesina
11-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Prayers for Yodie, and you too, Mary, that some form of the medicine will go down smoothly and Yodie will soon be better.

I'm glad at least to read that there is little chance of you or the other Fur Posse-ites getting the MRSA.

emily_the_spoiled
11-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Unfortunately it is the Clindamycin that is causing the upset tummy (it has the same effect in people) and you are right, it is nasty tasting. You can try masking the taste with tuna water or clam juice, but I doubt it will have any effect. The pills/capsules have the same problem, but maybe you could use a "pill shooter" to get it down. If you are really stuck it does come in an injectable form (http://www.medicinenet.com/clindamycin-injection/article.htm)

Good luck and I hope she can keep at least some of the medicine down...

Medusa
11-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Unfortunately it is the Clindamycin that is causing the upset tummy (it has the same effect in people) and you are right, it is nasty tasting. You can try masking the taste with tuna water or clam juice, but I doubt it will have any effect. The pills/capsules have the same problem, but maybe you could use a "pill shooter" to get it down. If you are really stuck it does come in an injectable form (http://www.medicinenet.com/clindamycin-injection/article.htm)

Good luck and I hope she can keep at least some of the medicine down...

She's easy to pill so that won't be a problem but if she can't keep the pill down either then I may as well just keep giving her the liquid, poor girl.

cassiesmom
11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Medusa, does Yodie like yogurt? I'm wondering if you could get a little down her for the probiotic effect.

Please give her a big hug from me.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9528410

Anikaca77
11-08-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Yodie throwing up. Vets and meds are expensive, I really wish we could write some of these things off at the end of the year.

My prays are coming for you and Yodie.

Melissa

Medusa
11-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Medusa, does Yodie like yogurt? I'm wondering if you could get a little down her for the probiotic effect.

Please give her a big hug from me.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9528410

That's a good idea. I've never given it to any of the Fur Posse but it's worth a shot. I might try some Forti Flora on the food, too, to see if that helps. She actually kept her food down this morning so maybe she's becoming accustomed to the meds. Fingers and paws crossed.

gini
11-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I wish that I had some good advice, but I don't. I'll just send some hugs for you and Yodie that she gets used to the medication and can keep it down.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Prayers for you both from me too! :love::love:

kb2yjx
11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Mary!! I am so sorry that I have not been reading this thread!!! Poor Yodie!!! And you, too!!! Have you ever used Slippery Elm for soothing tummies? It is available in the health food stores, I first read about it in The Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier. That book has been my cat care Bible for YEARS!!!!!!!!!! Will light a candle for Yodie....HUGS to you!!!

katladyd
11-08-2009, 02:42 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with both you and Yodie. Get well soon, girl!

krazyaboutkatz
11-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Mary, I'm sorry to hear that the antibiotics are making her sick.:( Both of these have also made Storm sick and I had to stop giving them to him. Hopefully by giving her the Forti Flora that this will help her tummy. It's helped Storm but I have to give it to him in 2 smaller amounts or it upsets his tummy. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care.

cassiesmom
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Medusa, how is Yodie today? Prayers and a candle

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9544830

Medusa
11-10-2009, 06:29 PM
She's doing pretty well; thanx for asking. :) She's kept the last three doses of meds down, so that's something. It'll be a month before another culture is taken to determine whether or not the MRSA has cleared up.

Today it's Boo Bear who's been feeling punk all day. He's been especially needy, always wanting to be on my lap and he's here right now as I type. He projectile vomited about an hour ago and I have no idea what brought it on. Always something, eh?

krazyaboutkatz
11-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Mary, I'm glad that Yodie is able to keep her meds down.:) I'm sorry to hear about Boo.:( You sound like me and my cats. There always seems to one of them that has something going on with them. I hope that they'll all fianlly get healthy and stay that way.

Medusa
11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
She's going in for a procedure on Thursday. Dr. Lee is going to sedate her and flush her ear and clean it out really well, also check her throat because when she had the ear polyp, it grew downwards into her throat. A friend saw her yesterday and said "Yodie's gotten thinner", which surprised me because I didn't notice it. We'll see what the scales say.

Right before the holidays. Lovely. C'mon Law of Abundance! Well, the important thing is that Yodie heals and gets over this. She isn't sick or lethargic but she walks w/her head tilted again and she's constantly rubbing it up against furniture. A couple of days ago, she shook her head and a blob of greenish yellow mucous came out, so I'm thinking that the meds just aren't working.

Spare a prayer for my Yodie girl, please. :(

Pinot's Mom
11-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Oh, poor baby, prayers this works everything out of her that needs to get out! Give her a kiss for me, please?

emily_the_spoiled
11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
If the meds are not working you might want to talk with him about getting a product called vancomycin (http://www.mrsapedia.com/vancomycin-and-mrsa/). This is a drug of last resort to treat MRSA, but it is very effective.

Good luck with Yodie's procedure

Medusa
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
If the meds are not working you might want to talk with him about getting a product called vancomycin (http://www.mrsapedia.com/vancomycin-and-mrsa/). This is a drug of last resort to treat MRSA, but it is very effective.

Good luck with Yodie's procedure

Thank you for this info. I'm going to write it down right now before I forget and am going to call him back.

ETA: After reading the link, Dr. Lee did actually talk to me about this but in the form of injection. I'm capable of injecting her but he said that it really stings and afterwards it becomes increasinginly difficult to catch the cat to give another injection. He said that they even problems w/it there at the clinic. I'm having a tough time as it is to catch Yodie just to put the meds in her ear, which is why he wants to do the procedure on Thursday. However, I'm going to keep this info handy. Thanx again. :)

emily_the_spoiled
11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
He is correct, it only comes in an injectable form in the USA and it is a tough injection. Linezolid is also used to treat MRSA infections and is available as an oral dosage. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linezolid) so there is something else for you to ask with him about.

The procedure is the best way to clean out the infection, but these are some options for you in case you need something else.

krazyaboutkatz
11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I hope that everything will go well on Thurs. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

katladyd
11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Good thoughts coming your way for Yodie, and you! Hang in there. I know it's tough.:love:

Queen of Poop
11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Thinking of Yodi and Boo, hoping each gets to feeling better very soon.

Medusa
11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Thinking of Yodi and Boo, hoping each gets to feeling better very soon.

At least Boo is doing better. Thanx for remembering, especially considering all that you're going through right now, Gayle. :love:

Anikaca77
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Prays are coming for Yodie and for you as well.

Melissa

phesina
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Prayers from us too.. poor little Yodie, and poor you! I hope the vet comes up with something that will work and not cause her too much distress to be given it.

Prairie Purrs
11-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Poor Yodie--nasty meds and the bug still won't go away! I hope the procedure does the trick.

cassiesmom
11-16-2009, 09:01 PM
prayers and good thoughts for Yodie

Catty1
11-16-2009, 09:10 PM
I hope the mucus being expelled is good, in a way - and her ear isn't clogged as it was.

Prayers for dear Yodie. :love::love:

Medusa
11-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I hope the mucus being expelled is good, in a way - and her ear isn't clogged as it was.

Prayers for dear Yodie. :love::love:

No, it isn't good. He was hoping that the meds would've dried it up. I'm hoping that the flush and clean will do the trick, along w/the meds.

kb2yjx
11-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Mary, will keep the prayers coming!!!

Laura's Babies
11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Gee, this has gone on to long. I hope whatever you and Dr. Lee decide, it does the trick and get rid of that nasty mrsa.. I feel so bad for what you both are going through..

momcat
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Don't worry, many prayers continue to be prayed for sweet Yodie and many [[[[[HUGS]]]]] for you from Groucho and me. Please let us know what happens?

cassiesmom
11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Prayers and good thoughts for precious Yodie ... I love her name.

Catty1
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
One more sleep and you get that mess all cleaned out, precious Yodie!

Prayers for healing so you can be a happy girl again!:love::)

ChrisH
11-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Poor Yodie, and you. Prayers on the way that the flush & clean does the job.

Medusa
11-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Just got back home after dropping Yodie off at the vet's. Poor little girl was so scared. She snuggled in the towel that was in the carrier and when I took her out to be weighed, she buried her head under my arm. She didn't let out a peep, certainly a different reaction from when I first put her in the carrier as we were leaving the house. I won't know anything until after 2:00; they'll text me to let me know how she's doing and I can pick her up after 4:00. It's a miserably wet and windy day. Visibility was near zero on the drive home w/all the trucks splashing water.

Catherinedana
11-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Lots of [{(HUGS)}] for Yodie and for you! I know how difficult it is when one of the babies is not well. . .

Pinot's Mom
11-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Yodie, it'll be OK - the vet will take care of you!! Prayers it's quick, relatively painless, and effective!! :love:

Medusa
11-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Dr. Lee just called and said "She has a really big polyp in her ear and it's grown into her ear drum and she also has a hole in her soft palate, which I have never seen before". My options are 1) the bulaosteotomy, which I told him previously I would not put her through that due to the risks and post op pain 2) a partial ear cut so that he can "pull" the polyp out w/a hemostat or 3) wait and see what develops. So, the first option is out and I can't see the point in waiting. The polyp will continue to grow and further endanger her life, so I told him to go ahead w/the surgery. He said that he needed to go because she was beginning to wake up and he was going to have to put her under again. I didn't even get to ask if she'd have to spend the night so I'll wait to hear from him again. :(

Queen of Poop
11-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh my, poor Yodie. Prayers that the surgery goes well and you'll have her home very soon.

katladyd
11-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Prayer for Yodie and Mom are being sent! Both of you, hang in there!:love:

gini
11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I am so sorry that both of you have to go through this. You have my prayers and great hope that all will be well.

Medusa
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Dr. Lee is surprised that she went over 5 years w/out another polyp. He said that he gave the last one a little tug and felt that he must have gotten it at its root because normally polyps grow back right away but this one took its time. He can't laser it like he did the last one because it's in a difficult spot. If she goes another 5 years or so before she needs surgery again, I can deal w/that but I can't put her through this too many times which is why I wouldn't go w/the bulaosteotomy. It's very invasive (he'd have to open her jaw and skull and scrape out the jaw) and risky and he said if a cat lives through it, the post op is even worse and STILL there's no guarantee that she won't get another one.

She nearly died on the operating table last time; he told me that she scared him to death because her heart rate slowed down too much and her breathing was too shallow. I sure hope she pulls through this ok. Odd thing is, in the last couple of days I kept hearing his voice saying "I had to cut off her ear". Then when he called me today and said he'd have to cut her ear back, I thought of that. He said that he'd sew it back on, though. Might have to wear a collar.

Plus I thought I might get away w/a couple of hundred bucks for the surgery but now that it's more complicated, who knows. Gonna have to dip into my Xmas fund. Plus there will be multiple trips back and forth for checkups. No sense worrying about money. The main thing is that my Yodie Yodie will be ok.

Prairie Purrs
11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm so sorry Yodie's polyp problems have returned. She's in good hands with Dr. Lee, and everyone here is hoping and purring for an excellent outcome.

Pinot's Mom
11-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Mary, money is the least of it; it always comes from somewhere, doesn't it? Prayers Yodie comes out OK and that's the end of the polyps. :love:

Medusa
11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Dr. Lee's office just called. She came through the surgery ok but it's probably best that I leave her there overnight in case of bleeding. The surgery was fairly invasive plus he had to cut part of her ear off but he assured me that he would sew it back on. She has to wear a collar for 14 days. I think I'm going to need some tranquilizers!

I said that I want to talk to Dr. Lee but he won't be back til tomorrow morning. I need to find out how this affects the MRSA. I have a morning appt. and after that I'll go straight there to get her. I don't even know if he was able to get the entire polyp. It isn't like him not to call me again.

ChrisH
11-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Phew! Thank God she came through ok. Prayers continuing.

Moesha
11-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh dear. What an update. I sure hope that things go well now that the polyp has been removed. Will certainly keep you and Yodie in our thoughts.

cassiesmom
11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
prayers for Yodie and meowmie

krazyaboutkatz
11-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that her surgery went well. Hopefully she'll heal up quickly and won't have any more problems. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Medusa
11-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Just spent nearly half an hour on the phone w/Dr. Lee. It's another good news/bad news scenario.

Good news: he did the same as last time and gave the polyp a tug, hoping to get it at its root. If it lasts as long as it previously did, it'll be several years before she has problems again but he can almost guarantee that another polyp will grow. Also, now that the polyp is out, the MRSA has nowhere to hide and the meds that he'll give me are super potent on MRSA and he feels that she has a good chance of getting rid of it in about 6 weeks or so.

Bad news: As I said, it's likely that she'll get another polyp but who knows when. If it's several years from now, she'll have another surgery. If it grows immediately, then I have a decision to make. A bulaosteotomy is tantamount to brain surgery. Dr. Lee has to cut into her skull and it could result in nerve damage and the post op is painful and long in duration plus, even after such invasive and complicated surgery, he still cannot guarantee that another polyp won't form. In his 33 years as a vet, he's performed 10-15 of these surgeries and several of the cats have had polyps repeat themselves. I will not put Yodie through that plus my finances couldn't handle it. Yesterday's procedure will be expensive in itself but if it gives her several good years, it's worth it.

I have an appt. this morning so I won't be able to pick her up until this afternoon. She hasn't eaten but I don't let that worry me. I know my cats and when she gets home in familiar surroundings she'll eat, after she gives me a good chewing out that is. I don't call her Yodie the Yowler for nothing.

I'll post pix of her in her collar later tonight. Thanx for the prayers but please keep them up. My little girl needs them and so do I. :)

Queen of Poop
11-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Praying that the nasty polyp takes its own sweet time coming back, if at all. It will be good to get her home and begin her recovery. Please give her a gentle kiss from me. Hugs for you.

Pinot's Mom
11-20-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm glad Yodie came through well - I know you'll be glad when she's home and yelling at you!! :)

Gentle headbumpies to Yodie; prayers for both of you!

katladyd
11-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Sending prayer that it takes years and years and years, if ever, for that darn thing to grow back! :love:

smokey the elder
11-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Poor Yodie! Feel better, sweetie.

Medusa
11-20-2009, 04:55 PM
She's home but she gave me the Puddy glare through the carrier in the car. She was thirsty and drank a ton of water as soon as she got in the door. She hasn't eaten as of yet but I just took her collar off, so maybe she will now. The vet tech said I could take it off as long as I'm home to watch that she doesn't scratch the sutures.

The polyp was 3/4 of an inch and looked like a pink piece of cauliflower. It punctured her ear drum and she had pus bags on her soft palate. She has pain meds to be administered twice a day plus she's on a stronger antibiotic and ear drops for the MRSA. Sorry, I'm brain dead right now; I'll post the names of the meds later for you all for future reference in case you ever need them for your cats. Hopefully, you won't, though.

I misunderstood Dr. Lee; I thought he was going to remove part of her ear. He didn't do that but cut through the ear canal because of where the polyp was located. Fortunately we caught this one early but if another one grows, it's difficult to know until she shows symptoms.

Anyhow, she's home and I must make some dinner. I've made it on a piece of toast all day and my head is throbbing. Please continue your prayers for my little Yodie Yodie that she gets a good night's sleep and heals quickly.

orangemm
11-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Poor little girl, you look pitiful...........:(:love:

I hope you have a peaceful night and that you will be feeling better real soon.

Love and gentle head-bumpies from the boys and me............:love::love:

ETA...Meowmie, take care of yourself, please............

(((hugs)))

pomtzu
11-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Poor baby. She really does look like she feels miserable. Hopefully she'll get feeling better soon, now that she is home with Mom and the rest of the fur posse.
No more polyps Ms. Yodie, and that's an order!!! :p

cassiesmom
11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Awwww, Yodie Yodie! Big prayers and very gentle head-bumpies from me and Cassie!

phesina
11-20-2009, 06:04 PM
More prayers for dear Yodie and for you too, Mary. And another candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9611489

Catty1
11-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Gentle {{{hugs}}} to Yodie and her Meowmie.

God forbid she ever needs surgery again - IF she ever does, prayers that there will be a new way to do it.

I wonder...if Transfer Factor can prevent cancer from recurring in animals and hoomins, I wonder if it would work for polyps of this type?

Hope dear Yodie heals quickly and this nasty has disappeared for good!:love::love:

moosmom
11-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Feel better, sweet Yodie.

3Catcondo
11-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Poor Yodie :( That does look uncomfortable. Sending good thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

Pinot's Mom
11-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Poor, sweet baby! Feel better, honey!

Medusa
11-21-2009, 06:34 AM
She slept w/me last night, everyone else slept downstairs except Pidge but even she eventually went downstairs. She kept growling at Yodie and I was nervous that they'd scrap. Pidge has never done that before so Yodie must still smell like the vet's office. Coco Puff just would not stop sniffing her sutures and Yodie was really getting mad so downstairs w/the rest of the Fur Posse he went!

Yodie gets so depressed when she wears the collar. She can't walk w/it, she walks backwards, probably because she's trying to get it off her head. She won't even eat w/it on, only drink water and she hides under my bed or in the basement. It was off all night but she was w/me in bed so it was ok. I have tickets to see Wicked in Cleveland today so she'll have to wear the collar while I'm gone. She's not going to be happy. All in all she's doing ok, though. We'll see how she carries on when I give her meds this morning. Yesterday she was fairly calm but she's back to her old self now. :p

Queen of Poop
11-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Oh Yodie, you look so sad and unhappy in that hat. I'm sorry you have to wear it, but you will get better much faster if you keep it on and let your ear heal up. Be well sweetheart, we all love you.

Laura's Babies
11-21-2009, 08:57 AM
That poor baby! I feel so sorry for her and what she is going through. She looks totally miserable.... POOR BABY!

What breaks your heart is you don't know if they understand what is going on or not. You just hope they understand that you are trying to help them and hopefully, in the end they will be healthy and well. Give Yodie a soft gentle kiss for me.

cassiesmom
11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Continued prayers for Yodie and meowmie, and a candle
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9617321

sasvermont
11-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Have you thought about a different type of collar?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=soft+e-collar&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4205972217&ref=pd_sl_6feg51d4fn_b Here is one on Amazon.

How Yodie feels better soon!

katladyd
11-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Prayers for your dear, sweet, Yodie. Heal quickly girl!:love::love:

Medusa
11-22-2009, 06:06 AM
She is SO sleeping in the basement w/the rest of the Fur Posse tonight! She nearly drove me nuts last night! Up and down, in and out, knocking things over, pet me/don't touch me, meow, meow, meow. I should've taken her downstairs and been done w/it but I really want to keep an eye on that incision. Plus if she sleeps downstairs, she needs to wear her collar and she hates that thing and who can blame her? I thought about getting a soft collar that sasvermont posted but knowing Miss Fussbudget I doubt it will make a difference. Thankfully, I slept well the night before so I'm not doing too badly this morning but the boy is flying in tomorrow so I've got to get the house clean and ready, make the mandatory spaghetti sauce, do last minute grocery shopping for Thanksgiving, etc. I'll be exhausted by tonight. So, I guess you can say that Yodie the Yowler is feeling pretty good. She's in top form as a matter of fact. :p

I'll try later for pix. Every time she sees the camera, she bolts. She must think it's some new med. LOL

Felicia's Mom
11-22-2009, 07:25 AM
So sorry to hear about Yodie. I will keep her in my prayers.

Catty1
11-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Hopefully it's close to the time that Yodie can go without the collar!

She sure sounds feisty! :D

How long is The Boy in for? Does he have a buyer for that reality show I mentioned? ;):D

HUGS!

Medusa
11-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Hopefully it's close to the time that Yodie can go without the collar!

She sure sounds feisty! :D

How long is The Boy in for? Does he have a buyer for that reality show I mentioned? ;):D

HUGS!

Oh she's definitely feeling better but I know that the stitches are already beginning to itch and I don't want to undo Dr. Lee's workmanship so the collar will have to stay on if she doesn't sleep w/me or if I'm not at home to keep an eye on her. Of course, she's snoozing now b/c she kept both of us up all night, the brat.

The boy will be home for a week, then he's back for Xmas and NY, so I'm a lucky mom this year. He'll be performing at First Night here. I told him what you said about the reality show. No comment from him. LOL

Catty1
11-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Mary, in Cat Health someone mentioned cutting the collar down so kitty could still eat, but couldn't reach the owies. Is that a thought?

Also - are you allowed to put any ointment on the itchy stitches? (I remember how they can itch and I couldn't put anything on them...a warm wrung out washcloth was soothing, though.)

That boy of yours - no imagination! :D:p

Medusa
11-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Mary, in Cat Health someone mentioned cutting the collar down so kitty could still eat, but couldn't reach the owies. Is that a thought?

Also - are you allowed to put any ointment on the itchy stitches? (I remember how they can itch and I couldn't put anything on them...a warm wrung out washcloth was soothing, though.)

That boy of yours - no imagination! :D:p

Dr. Lee said to keep it absolutely dry because of the MRSA. He doesn't want it to have anywhere to hide.

gini
11-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I hope Yodie continues to heal and you can have a wonderful Thanksgiving with "that boy" :D

Kirsten
11-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Poor Yodie!! This sounds like a scary thing! I once had a staph infection years ago and I had to try three different antibiotics before one finally worked. I had no idea that cats can get infected, though (or the other way around).

Glad to read she's doing better after her surgery!

Kirsten

cassiesmom
11-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Oh, Yodie, what spirit you have! Please please try not to undo the good work your doctor has done. Medusa, how nice that your son will be home again soon!

Medusa
11-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Yodie was on my bed so I couldn't tidy it up until Her Highness left. You can see how yukky her ear still looks. The last pic is how she looked befor her ear polyp woes.

cassiesmom
11-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Beautiful Yodie, I hope your ear heals completely and fast! Mmmmmwah!

Catty1
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
It kinda looks like it is drying up, anyway...

Is her eye affected too, or is that the third eyelid?

HUGS to her - she is so pretty! Hope she heals soon!

Pinot's Mom
11-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Poor baby! Hoping Yodie is up to snuff real soon! You can do it, sweetie!

Medusa
11-23-2009, 05:56 AM
It kinda looks like it is drying up, anyway...

Is her eye affected too, or is that the third eyelid?

HUGS to her - she is so pretty! Hope she heals soon!

I don't even know what the third eyelid is but no, her eye hasn't been affected by the MRSA or the surgery. I think it's the color of her fur near her eye that's making it look odd.

Miss Thing was already getting to be spoiled. She was under my bed, the little sneak, so that come bedtime she could hop up onto the bed and snuggle in. Yeah, until she decided to check out what's on mom's dresser and go behind the TV and race through the house w/one of her catnip toys. I put a rug under the bed for her when she came home from hospital because that's where she immediately went and so all I had to do was literally pull the rug out from under her. She let out a yowl as if to say "NO!". I put her downstairs w/the rest of the Fur Posse and checked on her a few minutes later. She was sitting at the top of the stairs as though she were saying "There must be some mistake. You put me here w/THEM. I'm sick; I go upstairs now. Remember?" It really made me chuckle when I closed the door and I heard another "NO!" :p It was just Boo and I last night; even Pidge wanted to sleep downstairs. I got a fairly good night's sleep, which is good, b/c I've got tons to do before the boy arrives this afternoon.

Anikaca77
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Prays for Yodie coming and for you as well.

Melissa

Laura's Babies
11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I am laughing... you closed the door to her yelling "NO!"... She is playing it for all it's worth and Mom is taking the bait? What else can you do anyway? POOR BABY!

cassiesmom
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh, Yodie! Maybe you are doing all these things for meowmie so she will have stories about you to post for us on Pet Talk! :)

I hope your ear is better today,
Elyse

Medusa
11-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Poor Yodie threw up several times. She does the same as my RB Puddy did, she yodels before she vomits. Poor little girl got really sick but I don't know why. Dr. Lee discontinued the Clindamycin and she hasn't vomited since then. I couldn't find her after a while and I began to panic, thinking that maybe she got out because my son and I tarped my patio furniture but I finally found her hidden really well in the basement. She must really be feeling pretty bad. :(

Catty1
11-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Prayers for poor Yodie. She has been through a lot and so have you!

How much longer is she on the meds?

Medusa
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Prayers for poor Yodie. She has been through a lot and so have you!

How much longer is she on the meds?

For at least six weeks. She has to take her second dose tonight and I'm afraid to give it to her for fear it'll cause more vomiting.

Catty1
11-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Did Dr Lee suggest pepcid or something to soothe her tummy? How about Forti-Flora?

Too bad she can't get weekly injections or something.

Prayers this is a nasty couple of off-days and she will bounce back.

{{{hugs}}}:love::love::love:

Felicia's Mom
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Yodie is in my prayers.

Medusa
11-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Did Dr Lee suggest pepcid or something to soothe her tummy? How about Forti-Flora?

Too bad she can't get weekly injections or something.

Prayers this is a nasty couple of off-days and she will bounce back.

{{{hugs}}}:love::love::love:

Well, I thought I would just leave her alone and see how she did. She stayed downstairs all day and when I just now went to check on her again, she was out of her hiding place so I thought she felt better but then she did the yodeling and I knew that she was going to vomit again. This time it was all mucous. I left a vm for Dr. Lee to call me in the morning. I'm afraid it's going to be a long night. I was supposed to go to my surgeon's tomorrow because I'm having issues w/my jaw and the pain is getting to be pretty bad. If I don't go tomorrow, it'll have to wait until Monday and I'm not sure I can make it that long. Good grief, why do these things always happen on a holiday or a weekend? She hadn't vomited w/the MRSA at all but I'm wondering now if the surgery messed things up.

cassiesmom
11-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Well, I thought I would just leave her alone and see how she did. She stayed downstairs all day and when I just now went to check on her again, she was out of her hiding place so I thought she felt better but then she did the yodeling and I knew that she was going to vomit again. This time it was all mucous. I left a vm for Dr. Lee to call me in the morning. I'm afraid it's going to be a long night. I was supposed to go to my surgeon's tomorrow because I'm having issues w/my jaw and the pain is getting to be pretty bad. If I don't go tomorrow, it'll have to wait until Monday and I'm not sure I can make it that long. Good grief, why do these things always happen on a holiday or a weekend? She hadn't vomited w/the MRSA at all but I'm wondering now if the surgery messed things up.

Prayers for Yodie and meowmie too.

Medusa
11-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I remembered that I had some anti-nausea medication left over from when Puddy was sick. Dr. Lee told me not to throw meds away b/c he doesn't necessarily believe that expiration dates are accurate. So I was finally able to catch Yodie to give her some. Boy, sick or not, that cat is fast! I worked up a sweat! Hopefully, that'll keep her calm through the night and then Dr. Lee will be able to tell me what to do.

Anikaca77
11-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Prays coming that Yodie stops vomitting and feels better soon. I know all to well what's it like to deal with your own heal issues and trying to deal with you babies.

Prays and hugs,
Melissa

Medusa
11-25-2009, 06:37 AM
I gave her a second dose of anti-nausea med at 4:15 AM and by 7:15 she vomited again. I'm waiting to hear from Dr. Lee.

Medusa
11-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Just spoke to Dr. Lee; he said to stop all oral meds for one entire day to give her stomach a rest. Unfortunately, the Doxycyclene (for the MRSA) can sometimes cause esophagitis and he thinks that could be the case w/her because her vomit was tinged w/blood. She ate breakfast, though, so he feels that she probably does not have an ulcerated esophagus because swallowing would be too painful. If, after she goes back on the med, she vomits again, he said "I'll tear my hair out b/c then our only other option is the injection, which stings and is expensive. You'll get the first injection accomplished w/no problem; after that you'll have a tough time". She didn't vomit after breakfast and she's in her favorite spot in the patio room, which is good b/c that means she's feeling better or she'd be hiding in the basement as she did yesterday. Here's hoping for a good, calm day. Please keep the prayers coming for my little girl. I feel so bad for her.

Queen of Poop
11-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Awwww, Yodie I hope your tummy feel better soon. Sorry about the yucky meds making you feel not so great.

Kirsten
11-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Poor Yodie!! I'm so sorry about the vomiting!!! She's going through so much, and nausea is the last thing she needs right now!! :(

I hope her stomach will calm down soon without the oral meds!

One question: Is she eating more kitty gras now that she's nauseaus? Just asking because it can be counterproductive in times of nausea. When Luna was so sick earlier this year, she would eat it excessively and threw it up so my vet recommended to put it away until her stomach got some rest.

Best wishes for your poor Yodie!

Kirsten

Medusa
11-25-2009, 09:03 AM
One question: Is she eating more kitty gras now that she's nauseaus?

No, I don't keep it in the house. I tried it several years ago, Boo ate it all in one night, roots and all and had dirt on his nose in the morning. LOL

emily_the_spoiled
11-25-2009, 09:12 AM
He is correct, it only comes in an injectable form in the USA and it is a tough injection. Linezolid is also used to treat MRSA infections and is available as an oral dosage. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linezolid) so there is something else for you to ask with him about.

Hi Melissa,

Did you ask him about the Linezolid? It is a relatively new drug on the market and has not been used extensively in animals. But it is oral and might be easier to give than the Vancomycin shot.

Medusa
11-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Melissa,

Did you ask him about the Linezolid? It is a relatively new drug on the market and has not been used extensively in animals. But it is oral and might be easier to give than the Vancomycin shot.

Oh shoot, I did forget! I've been so busy w/my son's visit and preparing for Thanksgiving guests, cleaning the house, etc. plus my own health issues, that it totally slipped my mind. I'm going to call him right now before I forget again. Thanx so much for the reminder. :)

ETA: I just called and he's in surgery so I'll post if I hear back from him. I left a detailed message about Linezolid and that I want to hear his thoughts/experience w/the drug. Thank you again!

pomtzu
11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Here's hoping that you can find a solution to Yodie's yuckies and get her feeling better soon.

When it rain, it pours, doesn't it???

Medusa
11-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, she seems to have calmed down again although she left her favorite spot in the patio room and she's in her hiding spot in the basement again. No vomiting so I'm hopeful. A vet tech caught Dr. Lee as he was leaving and asked him about the Linezolid and he said that Yodie is not a candidate. I guess I'll have to accept that for now but I definitely will question him about it when I take her in next week.

emily_the_spoiled
11-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Sorry about that. I thought it might be a viable option instead of having to give her the shot regularly...:(

Medusa
11-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry about that. I thought it might be a viable option instead of having to give her the shot regularly...:(

No worries. If it weren't for you and for reminding me, I wouldn't have known it was an option. I'll talk to him about it next week. I think he wanted to get home to his family and I don't blame him. He's got health issues of his own that he's dealing with. :)

Pinot's Mom
11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I hope things calm down - and it's true, it's always Holiday weekends, isn't it? Yodie, sweetie, I hope you get to feeling better...:(

Medusa
11-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Yodie is doing much better; she vomited only once in the last couple of days. I'm squirting 3 syringes of water into her mouth immediately after giving her the meds and that's helped her a lot, I think. She's been playing and getting into all the Xmas decorations, so I'd say she's feeling better. :D

katladyd
11-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Hooray for Yodie!!! So glad you feel better!:love:

cassiesmom
11-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh, Miss Yodie! I am so glad you're feeling better! :D

Queen of Poop
11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Yahoo!! Glad to hear she is feeling better. I bet you are too!

phesina
11-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Great news! Well done, Yodie!

Laura's Babies
11-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Yaaaaaaaa! That is great news! Have fun Yodie, it's the holiday season and there will be all kinds of neat stuff to play with so STAY WELL!

momcat
11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi Medusa, How is Yodi doing today? Still playing and getting into everything, I hope.

cassiesmom
11-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Prayers and a candle for Yodie!
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9670626

Medusa
11-30-2009, 05:47 AM
She's still doing pretty well, no vomiting episodes for a few days now, so I guess squirting the three syringes of water in her mouth helps the pill dissolve better and not damage her throat. Her appt. to have her sutures removed is on Wednesday and, of course, Dr. Lee will check her ear again (and throat, if possible, but she won't be sedated so that's doubtful). She keeps shaking her head, which concerns me, because that's an indication of a polyp but maybe it just still feels funny from the surgery. (fingers and paws crossed) I'll update you when we return from the vet's. :)

Medusa
11-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Her ear is bleeding. :eek: She's gone all this time w/no problems and now two days before her vet visit, her ear is bleeding. I was getting ready to put the drops in her ear when my son said "Look at her ear, Mom!" She shook her head and blood flew everywhere. The sutures don't appear to be torn open but if the bleeding is inside her ear, I don't know what to make of it. I put her collar back on and she is not happy. She's hissing and growling at everyone and dragging her head so that the collar scrapes on the floor. She really looks pathetic. I'm going to have to leave it on her and she'll have to sleep w/me because if any of the other cats comes near her, she goes bonkers. I have a dr.'s appt. myself tomorrow that I really don't want to reschedule if I can help it but if she's worse, I may have to. Please keep up the prayers for my hissy little Yodie Yodie. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
11-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Prayers on the way from me for you both. :love:

Prairie Purrs
11-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Oh, poor Yodie girl! She's having a hard time of it. I hope it's a minor issue and that she'll get right back on the road to recovery.

Catty1
11-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Prayers for Yodie that this is a minor hiccup and she will be healed soon!:love:

Pinot's Mom
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Prayers from here she's on the mend really soon!

krazyaboutkatz
12-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. I hope she'll feel better soon.

Medusa
12-01-2009, 06:59 AM
I took the collar off her last night because she just could not get comfortable enough to fall asleep, poor girl. She slept w/me all night and if I turned over, she cried. I checked her ear several times during the night and there was no bleeding but I'll have to put the collar back on her when I leave for my appt. this afternoon. If any of the other cats even comes near her, she gets furious when she's wearing the collar. I guess she feels she's at a disadvantage. They aren't trying to hurt her; they're just curious but she doesn't care. LOL

cassiesmom
12-01-2009, 10:24 PM
A candle and a prayer for Yodie...
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9684824

Medusa
12-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Prayers for Yodie that this is a minor hiccup and she will be healed soon!:love:

You caught something that I wasn't able to see up close and personal, Candace. Yodie's eye looks funny now; it's all glazed over or something. I don't know what the third eyelid is but I'm sure going to ask Dr. Lee about it this morning. Good grief, this girl has been through it!

katladyd
12-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Prayers going out for dear Yodie. Get well soon, girl!!!:love:

Medusa
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Just got home. Another long drive in a bitter cold and rainy day. Yodie was as good as gold, though. Dr. Lee said her ear looks great except for a small ulcer inside it, probably from rubbing up against furniture. Her sutures healed nicely, too. He said he could see her ear drum and there are no polyps as of now. Her eye also has an ulcer on it, same eye as before, and he thinks she scratched it w/her hind paw. So the collar has to go back on for a little while. Oh lordie. She's still on the MRSA meds for another few weeks until we can get another culture done to see if it cleared up. Plus he gave me some ointment for her eye and also for the spot that she rubbed raw. Maybe I should just have her head removed and get it over with. ;)

I also talked to him about Creamsicle because she's just become mammoth from the Prednisolone! He gave me Medrol to see if we can wean her off the Pred and take some weight off her. She's so hungry all the time and even if she sees me w/the tube of Cat Lax in my hand, she goes nuts. I know how bad the hunger can get from being on Pred so I hope this works. If not, he said we can do the once a month Depo shot to see if that will work. I asked if I can administer it myself since it's subcutaneously administered and he said "Well, we're not supposed to do that because people sometimes inject themselves instead of their pets". I told him that he allowed me to inject Puddy when she was so sick. Besides, I could just as easily swallow the meds that he gives me for my cats, so that argument doesn't hold water. I think he'll trust me to do the right thing.

He also gave me more gel caps for Pidge so that she keeps her meds down w/no problem. She's doing aces so I thought I'd include that in Yodie's thread rather than try to find my thread about Pidge.

So there ya have it! So far so good. Now if we can just make it through the holidays. Of course, I have no money left now but WTH. LOL Thanx for all your prayers and good thoughts for my Yodie Yodie. I'll keep you updated as she continues to improve. :)

Prairie Purrs
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Sounds like good news all around! Now, just keep that paw out of your eye, Yodie girl.

Anikaca77
12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm so glad she is doing better. Prays are still coming for her to deal with the e-collar.

Melissa

Pinot's Mom
12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Sounds like good news on ALL fronts, really; keep it up, kitties!! ;)

Catty1
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Good stuff! And I guess Boo has recovered from whatever was ailing him?

HUGS to you and all the furbabies (mammoth included! LOL)

Medusa
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Good stuff! And I guess Boo has recovered from whatever was ailing him?

HUGS to you and all the furbabies (mammoth included! LOL)

Yes, he's doing great. All it took was a visit from the boy. :D Boo vomited yesterday but it was because he ate garland. Seriously, how old do they have to be before they stop doing that stuff? He's 18!

kb2yjx
12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Glad to hear that Yodie is improving!! YEA!!!

cassiesmom
12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Yay for a good check-up! Good girl, Yodie!

Medusa
12-03-2009, 06:49 AM
She was fine last night, no bothering the incision, etc. so I left the collar off until I would be ready for bed. I had a Xmas dinner to go to last night and I was so rushed that I didn't even have time to change my clothes; I showed up in my jeans. And I forgot to put her collar on. When I got home, the incision was open. I feel awful. I had to put it on her again so it would be on during the night but she managed to get it off and when I put it back on her this morning, she was livid and went for my face. I can't get near her right now and I have to get her into the carrier to go to Dr. Lee's. They'll have to staple it. Sigh. Too much to do and it caused my brain to take a vacation. I feel awful that I have to put her through yet more pain. I'll update you when I get back, if I ever get her in the carrier, that is.

Medusa
12-03-2009, 11:00 AM
She's home and out cold. He had to sedate her and staple the incision. I feel terrible. If anyone else had done this, I'd be furious. I was just so anxious to get out the door to that stupid Xmas dinner, didn't want to be late so I even ended up going in my jeans covered in cat hair. I have a Xmas function to attend every single night this week so I cancelled this evening's and will probably bow out of tomorrow night's too. Enough is enough. I'm stretched to the max and it was totally irresponsible of me to run out the door w/out remembering to put Yodie's collar back on her. It caused her more pain and an unnecessary procedure. Rotten mother.

slick
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Dearest Mary:
I'm sorry I have not being keeping up to date on threads such as this one. You need as many prayers as PT can offer up and believe me, I'll be praying hard for you and dear Yodie.

Don't be hard on yourself. Cancel dinners if you feel you must because in reality, your furbabies come first.

much love
slick :love::love:

Anikaca77
12-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh Mary-

I understand completely.

I'm not that busy but I know what you mean. My prays that Yodie feels better soon and that she heals up and leaves her incision alone.

Poor girl. Don't be too hard on yourself either.

Take care,
Melissa

Prairie Purrs
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Please don't beat yourself up. You've got so much going on with various kitty illnesses, and that's a lot of stress to be dealing with. Yodie will be OK, and you're certainly not a rotten mother.

Medusa
12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I knew you all would say that because I would, too, if the situation were reversed. I didn't purposely leave off her collar; I was just in too much of a hurry to remember. I've cancelled tonight and tomorrow night. Sat. afternoon I must go for a couple of hours because it's my Xmas gift to a colleague and good friend but Yodie should be able to be left alone by then.

I'm just so upset w/myself. If anyone else had done this, heads would've rolled! I went into action mode this morning; I was only focused on getting Yodie in to Dr. Lee. (I was lucky that he was there. He fit me in between surgeries. I didn't get to speak to him but I don't think I really want to. He probably will scold me when I take her back to have the staples removed and I deserve every bit of it.) Then I became angry w/myself for being so stupid and forgetful. Now I just keep bursting into tears. I had to also drive 1 1/2 hours each way to my own dr. b/c I've been dodging a bullet for quite some time now but it appears that I'll probably need another bone graft done on my jaw but my dr. is trying to get me through the holidays. I've had that on my mind, that's no excuse, but I just feel overwhelmed right now.

I always say "people first" but what I mean by that is if you stress yourself or your family by taking in too many pets, if you can't pay your bills b/c you have too many pets, if you argue w/your family constantly about the pets, then you need to get your priorities straight. Well, I don't have any of those situations in my life but I still got my priorities skewed b/c I allowed myself to get stretched w/too many obligations. This is a wake up call for me. I'll never allow my cats to pay the price for my foolishness again.

kb2yjx
12-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Mary!! Even we we had permission to take the E collar off Tina, I knew we could not watch her 24/7. She was fairly good about not scratching the affected ear. PLEASE do not beat up yourself....you are a good cat mom....more prayers heading your way.....Sandra

Pinot's Mom
12-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Mary, you're a wonderful cat mom, but perfection is not part of the deal. You're human. Pick yourself up, and Yodie, dust you both off; start again. It's all you can do. Nothing can be accomplished by dwelling on anything. Yodie will benefit from the renewed attention.:)

Prayers from Pinot's house - and lots of love to help through the Holidays!!

Maggie

slick
12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
If I ever grow up, I wanna be just like you. :love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
12-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Mary, you're a wonderful cat mom so please don't forget this. I'm so sorry to hear that you feel so overwhelmed right now. I hope that you'll be able to relax soon and take it easy. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are going out to you and all of your furkids. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Medusa
12-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Yodie is doing well this morning, much better than I expected. She slept snuggled next to me all night as though she was comforting me instead of the other way around. It gives me LES just thinking about it. Cats are amazing creatures.

She had a huge appetite this morning but had difficulty eating because her collar kept pushing the dish away so I stood in front of it so that the dish couldn't slide. Also, the wet food ended up inside her collar and she didn't like that at all because I suppose she could smell it and couldn't get to it. LOL So, of course, I cleaned it for her. That collar isn't coming off for any reason. I'm able to administer her meds even more easily w/it on rather than off. I've been trying to maintain a sense of humor about this whole incident, telling myself that I didn't intentionally hurt her but I have my moments when I just feel lousy. If she would socialize w/the rest of the Fur Posse as my other cats have done whenever they've had to wear a collar, I'd feel better but she plays the martyr and just sits there, growling and hissing and swatting at anyone who dares to come near her, except for me. She's not mad at me any more, at least.

So that's it for now. I have a dr. appt. this morning so I'll put her in my guest room w/food, water and litter box. She'll be fine until I get home. I'm actually glad that I cancelled this evening's festivities. I'm looking foward to a quiet evening w/the Fur Posse, watching a Xmas movie and just relaxing a bit. Thanx again for your kind words and support, friends. It helps a lot. :love:

jennielynn1970
12-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear Yodie is feeling better, and you too! It's hard to be gentle with ourselves when our babies are sick.

Sit back, watch your movie tonight, and just enjoy the peace and relative quiet, lol.

Anikaca77
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm so glad Yodie is feeling better. I hope things go well for you at your appt.

Bone graft sounds kinda painful, I've never had one done.

I hope things turn out well.

Take care,
Melissa

Kirsten
12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Mary, don't be too hard to yourself re. the collar! Like everyone else has said, we're all human and these things DO happen. (But I know that's easier said than done because I would feel the same... :o) You're a wonderful kitty mommy, and your fur kids know that!

I'm happy to read that Yodie is feeling better today! Have a great evening with your movie, and the kitties around! :)

Kirsten

Catty1
12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Stuck record here...but could you trim around the large end of the collar by about an inch? Might still protect the ear but make eating easier for her.

HUGS - glad she is better and that you are getting your health looked after.

Glad the boy will be there on the holidays!

Medusa
12-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Bone graft sounds kinda painful

It really isn't too bad; I'm a little sore for a few days and shouldn't bend from the waist to put pressure on it and cause bleeding. It's that my ins. co. won't pay for it. At first they called it cosmetic surgery (can you imagine?) and after my dr. convinced them that wasn't the case, they used the pre-existing condition argument. It's rather expensive and I've had lots of vet bills in the last couple of years plus I've had work done on my house and I'm saving for my England trip. If I need it, though, I'll have it done. No choice.

Just came home to check on Yodie and she's curled up next to the space heater in the patio room, snug as a bug in a rug, so I guess all is well. I have to go to the P.O. to mail my Xmas cards, then I'm home for the day. Yay!

Medusa
12-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Stuck record here...but could you trim around the large end of the collar by about an inch? Might still protect the ear but make eating easier for her.

I called the vet office this morning although I knew that Dr. Lee wouldn't be in. Yodie eats fine, etc. but she just lies there w/that collar on. I was worried that she might be in pain rather than depressed b/c she wasn't put on any pain meds w/the second procedure. She was on Buprinex for three days for the first one. I asked if I could give her some Metacam and she was reluctant b/c of the effect that it has on the kidneys but b/c Yodie is so young, she said it would be ok to give her a couple of drops.

I also asked about trimming the collar and she said absolutely not b/c the few times that they've allowed it, there were disastrous results. Yodie's been through enough so she'll just have to tough it out w/the collar on. I know that it's depressing her b/c she's such a loud mouth and normally she runs from one end of the house to the other several times a day but she just lies there in a lump now. At least she's eating so I should be thankful for that. She chowed down yesterday and today.

pomtzu
12-05-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm just now reading of all your trials and tribulations Mary, and I certainly hope you're over beating yourself up for nothing. You're human, which means you're not perfect, and with umpteen dozen things on your mind at one time, is it any wonder that all this happened??? :eek:

Anyway - I'm glad that Yodie is doing better - and she's probably acting depressed just because she has the collar on. She probably figures if she acts pathetic, it will get to Mom, then Mom will feel bad for poor old Yodie, and take the darn thing off! :) She's just giving herself a good old pity party! :eek::D

Don't you think that you would just lay around and do nothing if you had a lampshade fastened around your neck??? :eek:

Medusa
12-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I certainly hope you're over beating yourself up

Not yet. :(

columbine
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
She's quite right and very gracious to let you know she understands, difficult though it is. Cats are a lot smarter than they let on. A little Just Us Two time, quiet cuddles and treats, might do you both a world of good. :love:

Love, Columbine

Catty1
12-05-2009, 10:43 PM
And a wee pinch of nip? :):love:

Medusa
12-06-2009, 05:08 AM
She just is not acting like my Yodie. She sleeps by the space heater and doesn't move except to use the litter box or to occasionally munch some dry cat chow. I know it's depressing to wear the collar but jeez, I thought she'd adapt by now and be her ornery self. She vomited her meds last night; she hasn't done that for a while so I brought her in bed w/me but she didn't want to stay. She's been sleeping under my bed so I put a micro fiber blanket and a rug under the bed for her but she just can't snuggle in. She lies on her belly w/her head sort of propped up. If she hasn't shown any change by tomorrow morning, I'm going to call Dr. Lee again. She's eating, using the litterbox, etc. but she just isn't right.

Medusa
12-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Well, I just fed the Fur Posse their breakfast and when I called out "Who's hungry?", she came w/the rest of the group; I didn't have to take the food to her. She's eating right now w/gusto and she was quite vocal while I was preparing everything. Maybe she's on the mend? God, I hope so, please.

ETA: I just gave her the meds and she was not happy! LOL Who can blame her, poor li'l girl. It seems Coco Puff gets the brunt of her dissatisfaction. If he's anywhere in her perimeter, he gets it good and he just takes it, doesn't fight back, just lets her pummel him. LOL But now Creamsicle isn't eating! Creamsicle not eat? Unheard of. Dr. Lee discontinued her Prednisolone and started her on Medrol to see if we can take some weight off her but he told me that it would take a while and I know that was true for me when I was on Pred but this is two mornings in a row when she turned her nose up at breakfast. She hates canned food, will only eat Purina Cat Chow, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Good grief, I think I have a "mewtiny" on my hands.

ETA: Another update: LBK was outside waiting for his breakfast so I fed him and when I came back inside, Yodie was looking out the glass door, as though she was looking for me. I'm taking that as a good sign. She even showed signs of wanting to play w/her mousie that Maggie (Pinot) sent but, of course, the collar got in the way and frustrated her. Thanx for the magic mouse, Maggie! Things are looking up! :D

Pinot's Mom
12-06-2009, 07:48 AM
:)I'm so glad to have a more positive post about Yodie! Poor thing has been through enough! I think Pinot did put a little extra magic in that particular mousie!;)

Keep us posted - awaiting permanent removal of the collar!;)

kb2yjx
12-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Glad to hear that Yodie seens to have turned a corner and is doing better...

katladyd
12-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Yodie, it's only for a little while longer and then your ear will be all better and you will be happy. Meowmie is just trying to protect you, honey, and that is what the collar does, protect your ear. I hope it comes off very soon. Hope Creamsicle starts eating soon.

Medusa
12-09-2009, 05:27 PM
She really perked up late this afternoon. Something on the patio caught her eye, maybe LBK, I don't know, and she ran from the patio room to the kitchen and back again several times. She jumped up on the kitchen table and the patio room table so apparently that collar isn't inhibiting her as much as she'd like me to believe, the little actress. It really did my heart good to see her run so fast. She still growls at me at medicine time but that's ok; I'm a tough cookie as long as I know that all my Fur Posse are doing alright. Her next vet appt. is on the 17th and I'm going to tell Dr. Lee that if there's even the slightest chance that she could tear open her incision again after the staples are removed, then I'm going to keep the collar on her no matter how mad she gets.

Pinot's Mom
12-09-2009, 06:42 PM
This sounds good! Keep it up Yodie!:love:

cassiesmom
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Yay, Yodie! This is good news!

krazyaboutkatz
12-10-2009, 12:57 AM
This is wonderful news.:D

Anikaca77
12-10-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm so glad :)

Kirsten
12-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Sounds like good news!! :)

Kirsten

Medusa
12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
She's undergoing another surgery right now. As soon as Dr. Lee removed the staples, the incision came open again clean down to the cartilage. He feels it's b/c of the MRSA that she just isn't healing. Her eye is still ulcerated, too, so he'll have to grid it again as he did before. I'll pick her up later this afternoon. I'd cry but I'm too exhausted. Takes too much energy. This has been the worst holiday ever.

krazyaboutkatz
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Mary, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope her surgery will go well and that this time she'll heal up quickly. You and your cats have been through so much. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. I hope that you and all of your cats will remain happy and healthy from here on out. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Anikaca77
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Mary-

My prays are coming for you and Yodie.

I know how stressful life can be believe me.

Take care,
melissa

Prairie Purrs
12-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Poor Yodie and poor you! I hope the incision heals properly this time around. I know too well the emotional (and financial) toll of having multiple pets getting sick all at once. My thoughts are with you and Yodie and Pidge and Boo and the rest of the posse.

Catty1
12-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Gentle hugs to you, Mary. And how horrid for little Yodie. Huge PT Prayers that Yodie will recover quickly and completely. :love::love:

Medusa
12-17-2009, 05:41 PM
She's doing remarkably well, I must say. I was expecting her to be groggy and out of it so when we got home, I put her in my spare guest room where she has a litter box, food, water, etc. I went to check on Pidge and I heard all kinds of banging noises coming from the room Yodie was in so I went to investigate, concerned that she might have fallen. No. She was on my desk, going through all the gifts that I haven't yet wrapped. She apparently felt well enough to get into mischief so I brought her downstairs w/everybody and she flopped over on her back as though she wanted a belly rub. She never, and I mean never, does that. I rubbed her belly and she purred like a motor boat. I then fed everyone and she chowed down w/the rest of them.

So I guess she's tougher than I gave her credit for. It's her Mom that's the weakling, I guess. I thought I was a tough cookie but these last few weeks have worn me out. When Pidge got sick two days ago, I thought I would drop from exhaustion. W/work and trying to get holiday things done, cleaning the house and going to my own dr., which is also a long drive, it's just been hectic.

Pidge, on the other hand, is not doing as well as I'd like. She's wanted to stay under my bed ever since I brought her home from her last vet visit. She's hardly eating at all. I tried to get her to eat tonight and she turned away. I gave her some of her favorite treats and she didn't want them either. I'm just going to let her be. As long as she isn't suffering or vomiting, etc., I think that's the best course.

momcat
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm beyond happy to hear your good news about Yodie! Asking for tummy rubs? She must be feeling better, would you rub that tummy for me? More than anything I hope this is the beginning of a positive trend. You most definitely deserve it!

Prayers are still being prayed for Pidgie and will continue :love:

phesina
12-17-2009, 06:24 PM
More prayers for Yodie, Pidgie, and YOU, Mary. We are all sending our love and very best wishes and healing energies.

Pinot's Mom
12-17-2009, 08:24 PM
It is good news about Yodie - and, not to be repetitious, but prayers for you and Pidge and the rest of the gang!

cassiesmom
12-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Prayers for Pidgie, Yodie, and meowmie! (and I lit a candle too)

Anikaca77
12-18-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm so glad Yodie is doing so much better! :)

I'm sorry to hear about Pidge not wanting to eat though. My prays are coming for you and all your babies.

Melissa

gini
12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I will light another candle for you today. It comes with prayers that Yodie will continue to do well - and love those belly rubs!

Medusa
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Yodie is doing really well. She's even peppy and this time the collar doesn't seem to depress her as it did before. Something occurred to me, though: I beat myself up pretty badly when her incision came open b/c I forgot to put her collar back on. But yesterday, as soon as Dr. Lee removed the staples, the incision reopened immediately. So now I'm thinking that it wasn't my fault after all. This time he did subcutaneous dissolvable sutures and also regular sutures on the surface. I'm wondering why he didn't do that the first time and save Yodie three surgeries and me lots of money. I think I need to have a chat w/him.

phesina
12-19-2009, 07:34 PM
I hope you will have a talk with him about this, Mary. Please let us know what he has to say in response.

More good wishes and healing energies and prayers to you, Yodie, Pidgie, and all from us.

Purrs and hugs,
Pat and cats

Medusa
12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
I think my Yodie could use some more prayers, please. She's just so miserable. That collar has been on for so long, she has a tough time navigating w/it b/c she's so small. Food gets caught in it and she becomes so aggravated when I have to clean it (and her) up. She can't lie comfortably and get rested. No sleeping circular for this little girl. Her cry is so pathetic. My son said "Mom, I wish I could be here when that collar comes off. I'd give her so many scritchies and noggin noogies". The worst part is that her ear and eye don't appear to be healing at all and I've been faithfully administering meds daily and giving her as much love and attention as she can tolerate. LOL If you could spare a prayer for my little Yodie Yodie, we'd appreciate it. :(

Prairie Purrs
12-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Poor Yodie girl! I'm sure that the collar isn't making her happy. And I'm sorry she's having such a tough time with the healing process. It's been so difficult for both of you. :(

Please get well soon, Yodie!

kb2yjx
12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Dear Yodie,
I know exactly how you feel about wearing the E collar!!! And just like you, my incision opened up, too!!! I will have Mom light a candle for you and say some extra prayers.
Take care Yodie(and Mary, too), Love, Tina Peepers