PDA

View Full Version : Help ... Suggestions for a Gift?

happylabs
10-27-2009, 12:57 PM
My son and his fiance just moved into their first apartment last month. They are both fresh out of college and just starting out on their own.

They have invited me for dinner tomorrow evening and I was trying to think of a nice apartment-warming gift for them.

Any unique suggestions. I was thinking of a nice fall candle but that seemed sort of ordinary.

I know my PT friends will come up with some great ideas for me. :) :love: :)

Husky_mom
10-27-2009, 01:23 PM
is there any basic stuff they need...

silverware, glassware, towels, a rack, electrodomestic stuff... some nice decor stuff is great.. but if they have nothing itīs best something that can be used rather than just look pretty..(in this I am not reffering to the candle idea ;))

if they already have basics.. then you can send a giftcard or something... sometimes decor stuff taste is not the same, even if itīs cute.. so it might be better if they chose something that goes along with what they already have...

pomtzu
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Guess it depends on what your budget would handle.

On the higher end - there always small kitchen appliances like a mixer, can opener, blender, toaster.

Of course there's always a need for kitchen towels and pot holders, casserole dishes, measuring cups and spoons, canisters.

Or how about a goodie bag of staples like flour, sugar, salt, pepper, boxes of macaroni, spaghetti, canned goods, paper towels, etc. and packed in a nice basket that could be used when empty.

Pinot's Mom
10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Are they starting from absolute scratch, and is budget a concern?

If they invited you for dinner, use that context..."I brought a bottle of wine for dinner, and saw these lovely handpainted wine glasses I thought would be wonderful in your new apartment!" (or, fall colored table linens for the season, or ...) you get the idea - tie it in with dining.:)

RICHARD
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Don't buy anything....yet!

Bring a little gift and do some snooping-find out what they need first!;)

Then you can gauge what the gift is and what your budget can do!

joycenalex
10-27-2009, 04:48 PM
first apartment....maybe a tool kit, smallish hammer, picture hanging stuff, screwdrivers of 3 or 4 sizes, 12 foot tape measure and a small tool box to store the tools

Edwina's Secretary
10-27-2009, 06:01 PM
If they celebrate Christmas...a Christmas decoration....

Medusa
10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
The best housewarming gift I've ever received was a year's supply of paper towels, toilet paper and tissues. :)

cassiesmom
10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't think a fall candle is ordinary at all! I tend to not burn the candles I've been given as gifts; I burn cheapies from the dollar store, and save the lovely ones.

Towels? Kitchen towels, hand towels for the bathroom? One of the cutest housewarming gifts I received was a matching pot holder and dish towel. Each time I use them I think of the person who gave them to me.